Tipping Maids on DVC

I haven't read all 6 pages, but has the comparison to the front desk CM been mentioned? It's fairly accepted to tip the front desk on check-in at a lot of vacation spots (Vegas). I've heard that the front desk has been instructed to refuse a monetary tip and have been terminated before when caught doing so. So if housekeeping is a non-tipped position, it sounds like Dean might be raising a good point that it's not about the dollar amount.
Have never and will never tip front desk CM.

I emailed Member services. Here is their reply:

Hello Jean,

Thank you for contacting DISNEY VACATION CLUB®.

We appreciate your interest in a DISNEY VACATION CLUB Resort.

Although they are not required, Members may feel free to leave
housekeeping tips as a form of recognizing their gratitude for the
service provided. Housekeepers are able to accept any tip that is marked
for Housekeeping. *Members may, also, leave any unopened foods that they
do not wish to take with them for housekeepers as well.

Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

Sincerely,

Donna

Member Services | Online Communications
DISNEY VACATION CLUB

I emailed Member services. Here is their reply:

Hello Jean,

Thank you for contacting DISNEY VACATION CLUB®.

We appreciate your interest in a DISNEY VACATION CLUB Resort.

Although they are not required, Members may feel free to leave
housekeeping tips as a form of recognizing their gratitude for the
service provided. Housekeepers are able to accept any tip that is marked
for Housekeeping. *Members may, also, leave any unopened foods that they
do not wish to take with them for housekeepers as well.

Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

Sincerely,

Donna

Member Services | Online Communications
DISNEY VACATION CLUB

:thumbsup2

Truthfully, they already have in that they've confirmed housekeeping is not a tipped position and that tips are not expected including a former employee on this thread confirming the same.

But that former housekeeper (so glad she doesn't like to be called a "mousekeeper", as I don't like that either, LOL) TIPS. So I'm thinkin' they are allowed to keep the tips (and I thought that even before the email was posted); otherwise, why would the former housekeeper do it?

Tipping housekeeping anywhere is imperfect. At hotels, you're either hoping that the tip will get better service, or you're giving the person you HOPE cleaned your room yesterday an extra thanks. You just never know what's going to happen.

But cleaning is hard work, as an at home parent I know this (and it's my own families' cooties I'm dealing with!), so I do generally like to give a little extra.

The first trip we took with my aunt (which was also our first WDW trip) we stayed at a 2 bedroom OKW villa, and my aunt nearly cried for the housekeepers. She once worked (briefly) as a housekeeper at a place that had that sort of unit, and it was absolutely brutal. Something like 2 units a day was all that was possible at first, and she quit when they tried to raise it for everyone, wanting more work for the same pay. It's just not easy work!

But that former housekeeper (so glad she doesn't like to be called a "mousekeeper", as I don't like that either, LOL) TIPS. So I'm thinkin' they are allowed to keep the tips (and I thought that even before the email was posted); otherwise, why would the former housekeeper do it?

Tipping housekeeping anywhere is imperfect. At hotels, you're either hoping that the tip will get better service, or you're giving the person you HOPE cleaned your room yesterday an extra thanks. You just never know what's going to happen.
Her right to tip, I suspected they were allowed to keep the tips but I don't think it has any affect on the discussion. I am well aware of the work that is and is not required for this job, while I know it's hard work, I also know there are many other jobs more difficult and dirtier though I don't think that is especially applicable either. Though I haven't been on a BOD for a resort, I do have close contacts with management at several others timeshares including several extensive discussions of the job and job recruiting for housekeepers. In addition I despise the practice of management transferring salaries to customers by this method. For those reasons you won't see me tipping without a reason to do so. However, I am very much a rule follower so you will see me tipping and often over tipping when deserved, for the positions that are "required" for tipping as well as when people do things above and beyond. That's one of the reasons it's important to me to establish the standard. However, I wouldn't consider MS a particular authority in this matter, these are resort and resort management issues. YMMV.

Her right to tip, I suspected they were allowed to keep the tips but I don't think it has any affect on the discussion. I am well aware of the work that is and is not required for this job, while I know it's hard work, I also know there are many other jobs more difficult and dirtier though I don't think that is especially applicable either. Though I haven't been on a BOD for a resort, I do have close contacts with management at several others timeshares including several extensive discussions of the job and job recruiting for housekeepers. In addition I despise the practice of management transferring salaries to customers by this method. For those reasons you won't see me tipping without a reason to do so. However, I am very much a rule follower so you will see me tipping and often over tipping when deserved, for the positions that are "required" for tipping as well as when people do things above and beyond. That's one of the reasons it's important to me to establish the standard. However, I wouldn't consider MS a particular authority in this matter, these are resort and resort management issues. YMMV.

I couldn't agree any more, Dean. This is most definitely a hot topic on this board from time to time. Nevertheless, if this is a position that does not "require" tipping, and that fact is made known to the readers of this board by an extremely reliable poster (Dean), why do we feel the need to justify why we tip? If you tip, fine. If you don't tip, fine. To many times we seem to go out of our way to "shoot the messenger" on this board for only providing information. For the record, I always find Dean's posts to be extremely accurate.

Just wanted to jump in here - the question aout tipping housekeeping seems to have been answered (do as you wish).

A few years ago, on our first WDW resort stay I had exceptional service from one particular bell man - and I offered a tip, he refused I insisted. The next day I had a gift basket in my room from management. The basket was easily worth double or more than the tip I left (wine, cheese, crackers, wine glasses plus more).

I'm a former CM (not in the service industry) and we were never allowed to take tips - so I never left them for housekeeping either - though we usually left a little gift of sorts at the end of our stay.

I'm still waiting on an example of a timeshare resort in the US where tipping is suggested, much less one without daily housekeeping. Surely there must be one out there.

None that I have stayed at in the US, although I think Mexico had envelopes in the room. I usually leave a tip only because that is what I am conditioned to do I guess. Not a very good reason to tip :goodvibes. However, if a TS's check out policy is to strip the beds - no tip. That just drives me crazy.

None that I have stayed at in the US, although I think Mexico had envelopes in the room. I usually leave a tip only because that is what I am conditioned to do I guess. Not a very good reason to tip :goodvibes. However, if a TS's check out policy is to strip the beds - no tip. That just drives me crazy.
The ones I know of out of the country that actively encourage tips also provide daily service, usually 6 days a week. This is common in MX and to a degree, in the Caribbean. We normally strip beds and group towels near the door even if not required. If you had read the entire thread (a lot I know) you'd have picked up on the fact I had acknowledged the differences for certain non US options including MX.

I never used to tip housekeepers, until I read a news story about a day in the life of a housekeeper. I was exhausted just reading the story!

So we leave a tip at the end of our DVC stays. Those units are big, and if they have kitchens, complicated to clean. So if we leave a $20 or $40 perhaps it invigorates a tired maid to push just a little harder, and the room will be even cleaner for the next DVC member.

The ones I know of out of the country that actively encourage tips also provide daily service, usually 6 days a week. This is common in MX and to a degree, in the Caribbean. We normally strip beds and group towels near the door even if not required. If you had read the entire thread (a lot I know) you'd have picked up on the fact I had acknowledged the differences for certain non US options including MX.

So I guess I was just agreeing with you.

Always put our dirty towels in the tub as we leave but never strip beds unless it is in the check-out instructions, then I don't tip no matter what country it is :goodvibes

I think it is a must to tip for ANY service. These people work so hard & deserve something extra to take care of their families. DVC or not. Disney or not. These people pay taxes on their tips & if they have earned a decent tip. If you are satisfied w/ their work, tip them. Chances are in WDW you'll be more than satisfied since they have such high standards. Besides,you can afford it, you are in Disney and you have worked hard to earn your vacation. They work hard so you can enjoy it. I personally really appreciate a super clean room, so this service for me is SOOO important.:goodvibes

I think it is a must to tip for ANY service. These people work so hard & deserve something extra to take care of their families. DVC or not. Disney or not. These people pay taxes on their tips & if they have earned a decent tip. If you are satisfied w/ their work, tip them. Chances are in WDW you'll be more than satisfied since they have such high standards. Besides,you can afford it, you are in Disney and you have worked hard to earn your vacation. They work hard so you can enjoy it. I personally really appreciate a super clean room, so this service for me is SOOO important.:goodvibes
If you're stating that tipping equals respect and not tipping is the reverse, then you are way off base, IMO. You should go back and read the entire thread (again) if that's your position. Using that logic, not tipping others would be a sign of disrespect and there are far more people at WDW and elsewhere that are not tipped, make the same or less and work just as hard, often harder or under more adverse circumstances and for the benefit of others. I also take offense at the redistribution approach.

Do you tip the ladies cleaning the toilets in the parks?

Maybe you didn't intend to, but this post sounds to me like scolding. And, considering this is a DVC board, you should realize that us members have more experience with the "quality" of the WDW housekeeping staff than the average WDW guest.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter