Tipping Maids on DVC

If I'm receiving daily service, I tip 5$ per day. With DVC I tip 10.00 on trash and towel day and 10.00 at check-out.

I actually tip everywhere I go - including any counter service place with a tip jar. Simply put, I tip because I believe that service employees deserve higher wages than they are paid.

If I'm receiving daily service, I tip 5$ per day. With DVC I tip 10.00 on trash and towel day and 10.00 at check-out.

I actually tip everywhere I go - including any counter service place with a tip jar. Simply put, I tip because I believe that service employees deserve higher wages than they are paid.

Question, why do you pay more for trash and towel service than you pay for full cleaning at a different resort? Just wondering.

Question, why do you pay more for trash and towel service than you pay for full cleaning at a different resort? Just wondering.

Because it feels like I'm tipping them for cleaning the room before I got there and then at the end, cleaning up after I leave. It's still not as much as 5$ per day ends up being.

And it's also kind of like why I tip more than 20% at a restaurant if I'm meeting someone and we stay and talk after we finish our meal - I've tied up that table - they could have turned it over and made more $$ if I hadn't. DVC housekeepers don't have the opportunity to make as much in tips as their counterparts in rooms that get tidied daily - and I'm sure they work just as hard.

I think that the term tipped position is a accounting issue and labor issue and not a concern of mine . Frankly It would never enter my mind to ask.

If disney did not want us to tip they would tell us.There would be a card in the room with donald duck telling us that the mousekeeping staff are concidered a tipped position and are not allowed to accept tips.

They would not leave a card letting us know who our cleaner is.In fact I would think that they would discourage these cards.

For those of you who have felt the need to ask.Have you been told that these people are not allowed to accept tips??

If we go by that then we do not tip an housekeepers ina Disney Hotel outside of DVC? Even if we recieve daily service and it good service?
I think whether the position is considered tipped or not is paramount to the issue. I cannot think of another job where they are not paid expecting they will be tipped where tipping is expected, other than housekeepers. The cards are a quality control issue, not a suggestion to tip, saying they wouldn't put out the cards if they didn't expect tips is nuts. If Disney expected us to tip, they would tell us, they're not shy in asking for money in other areas. You are correct, it is not expected that housekeeping in any Disney hotel is paid expecting they will be tipped. As for asking, I don't think it's fair to ask the employee you may tip but it is fair to ask management and I've done so on many occasions. Often their reluctant to give an answer at first but when you ask the right way and politely, you can get some very helpful and interesting answers.

I'm still waiting on an example of a timeshare resort in the US where tipping is suggested, much less one without daily housekeeping. Surely there must be one out there.

If Disney did not want us to tip they would tell us.

Like I said I would not feel the need to ask about tipping someone 5 bucks .If I feel like I get good service I tip.

If I were unhappy I would not tip

Until DVC tells me it is prohibited I will continue to tip.

I honestly can not comment on other time shares policies.I only own at DVC.

Luv ya, but you need to add another category...there are actually those of that tip just because we feel the job done deserves it. We always tip housekeeping..not to get any special service, we don't feel 'guilted' into leaving a tip, nor is it an award 'sucking' up tip. We tip housekeeping because we like to. We leave our room clean, so that's not it. We just have always felt that housekeeping is an underpaid job (considering all they do), and if a few dollars may make their day brigher, then we will gladly leave some dollars to make thier day a little happier.

I know, right? It's hopefully a nice surprise and makes someone who does a difficult yucky job smile a little.

Obviously there are differences of opinions about tipping, there always has been and I don't see that anything will change in the future. What people do with their money is their business, I just find it interesting that so many feel that housekeepers deserve a tip but other workers don't.

I don't see Disney ever telling anyone that they can't tip but their position is clear and so is the housekeepers labor union as indicated in their signed contract.

:earsboy: Bill

If Disney did not want us to tip they would tell us.
Seriously, that's your answer? I can't believe you really mean that.

Like I said I would not feel the need to ask about tipping someone 5 bucks .If I feel like I get good service I tip.

If I were unhappy I would not tip

Until DVC tells me it is prohibited I will continue to tip.

I honestly can not comment on other time shares policies.I only own at DVC.
It's your choice whether to tip, I'm simply pointing out that it doesn't make sense to tip routinely for this position and only this one.

It's your choice whether to tip, I'm simply pointing out that it doesn't make sense to tip routinely for this position and only this one.

This is not someone just fixing me a cup of coffee, or putting some food on a tray for me. This is someone who personally cleans up after me & my family, and lugging around heavy comforters, lifting mattresses, etc. It is a particularly strenuous and often unpleasant position (cleaning toilets), as anyone who routinely does housework can attest to. Not to mention, it's also a position that most etiquette experts deem a tipped position. This is not just someone I randomly choose to tip - there is thought behind it.

This is not someone just fixing me a cup of coffee, or putting some food on a tray for me. This is someone who personally cleans up after me & my family, and lugging around heavy comforters, lifting mattresses, etc. It is a particularly strenuous and often unpleasant position (cleaning toilets), as anyone who routinely does housework can attest to. Not to mention, it's also a position that most etiquette experts deem a tipped position. This is not just someone I randomly choose to tip - there is thought behind it.
As I said, and always have, it's your choice. It is someone who is already being paid for the service that they provide which is to clean the rooms before you arrive and as much as weekly plus T&T. In my case there isn't nearly as much to so as some, we pile he towels and sheets near the door separated, pick up throw aways, etc. We were in Nashville in Dec with family and had seven 2 BR units. I checked them all after the guests in them had left, there was quite a variation in how the guests left them. For one room in particular, I'm not sure anyone could have left a large enough tip. 3 of us spent 30-40 minutes picking and cleaning up just to be comfortable for the maids to see it.

As I said, and always have, it's your choice. It is someone who is already being paid for the service that they provide which is to clean the rooms before you arrive and as much as weekly plus T&T. In my case there isn't nearly as much to so as some, we pile he towels and sheets near the door separated, pick up throw aways, etc. We were in Nashville in Dec with family and had seven 2 BR units. I checked them all after the guests in them had left, there was quite a variation in how the guests left them. For one room in particular, I'm not sure anyone could have left a large enough tip. 3 of us spent 30-40 minutes picking and cleaning up just to be comfortable for the maids to see it.

I'll second a group of pigs. We had a GV in June and had seven teen aged girls upstairs. I was so embarrassed for the housekeeper to bring towels and take out the trash that I brought them downstairs for her and took out the trash myself. Then when we packed up, I gathered stuff up one last time in the upstairs bedroooms. The boys in the living room were not pigs and I didn't have to do anything after them.

I just wasn't comfortable leaving a mess like that and cleaned it up myself. I left the villa with the bathrooms to wipe down, beds to make and floor to mop and vacuum. Everything else was done.

Yes I am as serious as was the person who said that disney would tell us if we were supposed to tip.

Some posters have indicated that they have been told by Disney mgmt not to tip Mousekeeping.

If that were in fact true as DVC company policy then I do believe that it would be written down somewhere.every other rule seems to be cleasrley spelled out. Even if it were in tiny print on an obscure document.

I think the resonse that they are "concidered "a non tip position is not exactly saying they can not take tips or we should not tip them.

Again I tip them because I want to.If you don't want to then don't.

Folks again I am talking about 5 bucks here maybe ten for an extended stay.

I also keep my villa or room very clean but that still does not change the fact that someone has to come in after me and clean the toilet and tub(gross hairs and all) after me.

I am very grateful that someone is willing to do so and I show it by tipping.

Disney says they are not a "tipped" position, which I suspect means that they are paid a higher hourly wage. In Florida, minimum hourly wage for tipped positions is four something an hour, which is about double the federal minimum for tipped positions. Tipped positions rely on the tips to bring their wages up to a reasonable living standard.

I'm not saying to tip or not. Just remember that tipped positions rely on tips in a different way than others. In either case, I am confident that a kind word or deed (for example, those who pick up before leaving) is very much appreciated by the staff.

Yes I am as serious as was the person who said that disney would tell us if we were supposed to tip.

Some posters have indicated that they have been told by Disney mgmt not to tip Mousekeeping.

If that were in fact true as DVC company policy then I do believe that it would be written down somewhere.every other rule seems to be cleasrley spelled out. Even if it were in tiny print on an obscure document.

I think the resonse that they are "concidered "a non tip position is not exactly saying they can not take tips or we should not tip them.

Again I tip them because I want to.If you don't want to then don't.

Folks again I am talking about 5 bucks here maybe ten for an extended stay.
IMO, the amount we're talking is irrelevant as is whether they can keep any tips they do receive, the question to me is about the standard and what should the routine be, the amount is ONLY a secondary issue. Your position makes no sense that if Disney didn't want us to tip they would have said so. Truthfully, they already have in that they've confirmed housekeeping is not a tipped position and that tips are not expected including a former employee on this thread confirming the same. NO ONE is arguing that you have the right to tip if you want. I think it's clear the standard for hotels in general is on the fence and for Disney hotels and timeshares in the US without daily maid service, the standard is not to tip. After that, anyone can tip as they see fit though if you tip Mr. Policeman when he stops you for speeding, he may take it the wrong way.

I also keep my villa or room very clean but that still does not change the fact that someone has to come in after me and clean the toilet and tub(gross hairs and all) after me.

I am very grateful that someone is willing to do so and I show it by tipping.
As I said, if you want to tip, that's up to you. We often do because they do something special more often than not. However, the fact that they have to clean toilets or it's hard work or it's not a highly paid position are all irrelevant to the standard, which is the issue I personally have addressed in this thread. Many of us have done jobs where we worked harder, were dirtier and ware paid less which is also irrelevant. If Disney can't get people to do the job appropriately at their wages, they will either pay more or find someone else who will such as importing labor from the islands.

IMO, the amount we're talking is irrelevant as is whether they can keep any tips they do receive, the question to me is about the standard and what should the routine be, the amount is ONLY a secondary issue. Your position makes no sense that if Disney didn't want us to tip they would have said so. Truthfully, they already have in that they've confirmed housekeeping is not a tipped position and that tips are not expected including a former employee on this thread confirming the same. NO ONE is arguing that you have the right to tip if you want. I think it's clear the standard for hotels in general is on the fence and for Disney hotels and timeshares in the US without daily maid service, the standard is not to tip. After that, anyone can tip as they see fit though if you tip Mr. Policeman when he stops you for speeding, he may take it the wrong way.

As I said, if you want to tip, that's up to you. We often do because they do something special more often than not. However, the fact that they have to clean toilets or it's hard work or it's not a highly paid position are all irrelevant to the standard, which is the issue I personally have addressed in this thread. Many of us have done jobs where we worked harder, were dirtier and ware paid less which is also irrelevant. If Disney can't get people to do the job appropriately at their wages, they will either pay more or find someone else who will such as importing labor from the islands.

Very well said!!:teacher:

I haven't read all 6 pages, but has the comparison to the front desk CM been mentioned? It's fairly accepted to tip the front desk on check-in at a lot of vacation spots (Vegas). I've heard that the front desk has been instructed to refuse a monetary tip and have been terminated before when caught doing so. So if housekeeping is a non-tipped position, it sounds like Dean might be raising a good point that it's not about the dollar amount.

I haven't read all 6 pages, but has the comparison to the front desk CM been mentioned? It's fairly accepted to tip the front desk on check-in at a lot of vacation spots (Vegas). I've heard that the front desk has been instructed to refuse a monetary tip and have been terminated before when caught doing so. So if housekeeping is a non-tipped position, it sounds like Dean might be raising a good point that it's not about the dollar amount.
In LV it's not a tip but a bribe, plain and simple.

I've never tipped the front desk at any vacation spot.

Denise in MI

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter