To those who use the gallon ziplock packing method :)

I can see ziploc being great for babies, smaller kids or one day things where you can toss a change of clothes in a larger bag. We use packing cubes. We also do multiple stop trips. I organize our cubes based on trip stops. 1. one cube for our 2 night wdw2. One cube swimwear only 3. rest cubes cruise. Here I split then per person. First cube goes in carryon.

When my husband and I cruise with the grandkids alone, our daughter puts their outfits in the ziplocs and labels each bag. I love it! For me its so easy to pick up a bag and see daytime outfit or dinner outfit. Makes life easier for me.

I use a combination of packing cubes and ziploc bags. Each person in our family has a set of packing cubes in a different color. When possible/feasible, I put the kids' outfits in individual bags (unrolled, just placed in the bag nicely, with all extra air removed), and those all go in each kid's large packing cube. "Extra" shirts, underwear, socks, bathing suits, etc. go in the smaller size cubes. I use the same process for my husband and me, but generally don't use ziploc bags unless I'm certain about a specific outfit for a specific day (i.e. matching shirts in the parks).

Question about these packing cubes...is the main perk that they help you stay organized? Or do they actually allow you to fit more in a suitcase?

I'm intrigued, but since it's just my husband and I (each with a carry on suitcase) we don't really struggle much with keeping our stuff organized. But we're about to take a 10 day parks + cruise trip, and I'm concerned about fitting everything I need (want...) in a carry on sized bag. So I was looking at the compression packing cubes, but I'm just not 100% convinced that it will help with fitting more into my suitcase! :) In my mind, it feels like I'm just adding something else to the already limited available space.

Do you experienced cube-packers feel like they help you save space?

I think they do. I don't have EVIDENCE, but certainly my impression is that we fit more in, in addition to being more organized.

Something to keep in mind about fitting more in is weight limits. If you are doing carry on only, it may not be an issue, but if you are stuffing your suitcase full, you may go over the limit!

I used to lay my tops generally around the suitcase and stick toiletries or things that might crack in between. Now that I use the cubes, the tops and underwear are in their own compartment. They do take up less space, because you shut the cube and it compresses it, if it's full. But now, I don't have anything to cushion my toiletries, so I have to be more careful and thoughtful about where I put things I would have just stuffed between two t-shirts.

Measure the inside of your suitcase, then look at the measurements of the cubes that interest you. How will you lay them out in the suitcase? Which will fit, stuffed (check the height). Also, take a sampling of the clothes you would pack in them, fold them and measure the size you need. Keep in mind that when you put sides around, 14.5 inches will squish into 14 inches. Or 13.78, as in some cases. Maybe try putting them in a plastic shopping bag to see how it would work for you. Then, buy the sizes you need.

Not all packing bags are the same sizes. If no size is listed, pass. If there aren't 2 zippers, I'd also say pass, although that's not a deal-breaker.

Not to go way off on a tangent, but if you are getting more in there, do you find yourself packing too much weight for the suitcase? We have usually traveled with a separate suitcase for everyone with one combined for any pre cruise overnight. We tend to be close to the weight limit every time instead of an extra bag. I can see the benefits of organization, but fitting more could be bad for us....

I like the idea though, and may try the ziplocs for kids and even throw them into a cube.

I think they do. I don't have EVIDENCE, but certainly my impression is that we fit more in, in addition to being more organized.

Something to keep in mind about fitting more in is weight limits. If you are doing carry on only, it may not be an issue, but if you are stuffing your suitcase full, you may go over the limit!

I used to lay my tops generally around the suitcase and stick toiletries or things that might crack in between. Now that I use the cubes, the tops and underwear are in their own compartment. They do take up less space, because you shut the cube and it compresses it, if it's full. But now, I don't have anything to cushion my toiletries, so I have to be more careful and thoughtful about where I put things I would have just stuffed between two t-shirts.

Measure the inside of your suitcase, then look at the measurements of the cubes that interest you. How will you lay them out in the suitcase? Which will fit, stuffed (check the height). Also, take a sampling of the clothes you would pack in them, fold them and measure the size you need. Keep in mind that when you put sides around, 14.5 inches will squish into 14 inches. Or 13.78, as in some cases. Maybe try putting them in a plastic shopping bag to see how it would work for you. Then, buy the sizes you need.

Not all packing bags are the same sizes. If no size is listed, pass. If there aren't 2 zippers, I'd also say pass, although that's not a deal-breaker.

Thank you both for your replies! I'm going to order a set from Amazon to test out...at least that way if I have buyer's remorse, I can return them! :)

We pack our clothes in the packing cubes and they work nicely. We then put the packing cubes in the big ziploc bags to keep the items dry. After twice getting stuck in a rainstorm and our suitcases getting soaked getting to the plane, thankfully on the way home, we try to pack our suitcases so that everything stays dry.

I’m a big fan of organizing the kids outfits into ziploc bags, but it works better with smaller sizes. Our 3 year old’s clothes didn’t fit into ziploc bags very well on our cruise last fall. I ended up putting what I could into ziploc bags, and then I put the bags into separate packing cubes for my son and daughter.

I’m not really sure it’s a big space saver, because packing cubes take up a bit of space on their own. It’s more of an organizational help for us when everyone’s clothes go into just a couple of suitcases.

I’ve also heard a few people say to not put all of your own clothes into one suitcase in case a bag gets misplaced. If you put a few clothes for everyone into each bag, it’ll make your life easier if a bag is lost. I haven’t put much thought into that before, but I thought that was a good tip.

just remember when using the ziplock bags or compression bags ... you can get so much more into the same space, but each items weight does NOT go away!! :earseek:

So if flying, your suitcase can quickly go over the "base charge" for luggage into the "here's another surcharge for overweight bags ... please don't enjoy your flight" category.

We put our socks and underwear into the zip locks, even if we don't need the space --- who wants a creeper (or even a normal) TSA agent pawing through your undies. My swimsuit and "athletic" clothes (mesh tops, shorts) also go into the ziplocks.

I do the ziplock bags for my kids. (I don't use them for my husband and I.) I'm one of those matching/coordinating outfits people (mostly because our pictures come out better this way in my opinion) so it makes it super easy for the kids, as well as my husband. Then my husband and I just pull out the clothes that match the kids. My oldest is an adult now, but I'll still probably put his stuff in larger ziplocks! I have put just his shirt in the bag labeled before, but... (Because no I cannot fit my teenage sons stuff in a gallon zip lock! ;)) Old habits die hard! LOL!

I do the ziplock bags for my kids. (I don't use them for my husband and I.) I'm one of those matching/coordinating outfits people (mostly because our pictures come out better this way in my opinion) so it makes it super easy for the kids, as well as my husband. Then my husband and I just pull out the clothes that match the kids. My oldest is an adult now, but I'll still probably put his stuff in larger ziplocks! I have put just his shirt in the bag labeled before, but... (Because no I cannot fit my teenage sons stuff in a gallon zip lock! ;)) Old habits die hard! LOL!

Just curious why you still pack for an adult...? I cannot imagine that after I was about 10 I ever let my mom pack for me. LOL.

I used ziplocks when the girls were little. I would label them with their name and the days destination. It was easy to grab a bag in the morning and hand it to the kids without having to think about if this outfit is better for our St Thomas day or if I should save it for a sea day. Meanwhile I’d use packing cubes for DH and I.

Now I pack a day or two of clothes for DDs and I in one cube with notes. For example day one we need full outfits for day and dinner but our shorts and maybe dinner clothes will be reworn. So I’ll add a note to keep those out for maybe days 3 and 4. Then days 3 & 4 we don’t need to pack as much so I can fit two days in one cube.

DHs clothes is bulkier and he likes to wait until the last minute to pack and isn’t a fan of the packing cubes so he does his own thing and we work it into our 2 checked bags.

Just curious why you still pack for an adult...? I cannot imagine that after I was about 10 I ever let my mom pack for me. LOL.

Because I'm a control freak who likes my family to match for pictures. So honestly a lot of times I make us shirts and I'll ask him to grab x,y,z out of his stuff to pack. Like I said, last trip we took to Disney I just packed his shirts in a ziplock with a sticker on it with notes on what color shorts to wear. But frankly, he's an 18 year old boy and is getting better, but still a little immature and very disorganized (thank you ADHD) so he still needs some organizational help. When we do non-Disney trips he does pack himself and I just ask did you pack x,y,z...like clean underwear or a change of clothes or deodorant. For me there's a difference between Disney and non Disney trips. I'm not as much of a control freak with non Disney trips.

I use the giant ziplock bags. I lay things flat in them then roll the bags to compress the air out of them. Yes there are some wrinkles. I will hang our nicer outfits as soon as we get in our room and sometimes use wrinkle release spray (it really works!)

I am similar to previous posters in that I like our outfits coordinated for pictures so the bags make things very easy. I also like that the bags are waterproof as one year our luggage sat on the tarmac uncovered in a thunderstorm.

All this being said, I ordered a set of the cubes that another poster linked to in the comments above. I’m going to practice with them to see which I system I prefer.

When my girls were little, I used to put their entire outfit, including hair stuff in a ziplock bag. I'd keep them in the bags, then they could pick their outfit of choice. It made vacations very easy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter