Toy Story 3 effect?

tarrbear

DIS Veteran
So first off I must state what a AMAZING movie that was, just got back from a midnight screening, I honestly think it will be all of those who grew up with Toy Story since the beginning who will appreciate this movie, the theatre was filled with a bunch of teenagers and adults. You can tell this movie was geared towards a older crowd. 90% of the theatre was in tears by the end of the movie, and the children there just didn't understand our tears haha. Now on to my point...

on the car ride home I began to thinking will the new release of this movie up the crowds of TSM and the Toy Story M&G's? Tomorrow I'm heading to Disney and feel inclined to ride that ride multiple times and see Woody and Buzz, it would just feel right. Lotso (I'll get there later) Idk, what are your opinions on this?

Now onto Lotso, this isn't really spoilerish but just to not upset anybody, don't read if you hate any hints of the movie haha

Then I began to think, why did they pick Lotso as the new character for meet and greets??? I just have a feeling his popularity might take a downturn. You'll find out why when you see the movie.

Haha did the midnight thing too, same type of crowd.

As for the Lotso thing, people line up for ALL the characters, big parts or small, one movie or many, vital and insignificant, good or bad, etc.

Besides, have you felt of those Lotso bears they have in the stores? It's sooo soft and smells like strawberries, I wanna hug the big one. Wouldn't it be cool if they could make the meet and greet Lotso smell too?

Glad you liked the flick. I saw it a couple days ago and thought it was pretty darn good (not quite as emotionally involving for me as #2, but darn close).

I would imagine that TSM will be just as crazy as it ever has been. The movie really shouldn't have an effect on the insane crowds there (I went during a relatively dead period last October and it was still nuts with FPs done a mere 90 minutes after open).

As far as meet and greets...I think Toy Story's a pretty well known property so Toy Story 3 will not be the introduction for people to these characters. Even the very young ones of today are exposed to the dvds (whereas I grew up with the VHS's of the films...). If they loved Woody and Buzz, they were gonna seek them out anyway. And, since you're heading down in the summer, there will be PLENTY of people seeking them out.

Nonetheless, have a blast!

I can't wait to see the movie this weekend!

As for Lotso, it seems like a marketing decision to me. Unlike Barbie, it's a toy they made up, so no licensing to pay out, and unlike some other new characters, it's cuddly and seems like a perfect plush of sorts. Heck, they even made a fake old 80s-style commercial for Lotso!

^^^ Haven't seen the movie yet, but I'm still wondering why they would create a character meet and greet with Lotso when they've never created a character meet and greet with at least one of these very popular guys:

toy_story_aliens2.jpg

My DS 17 went to the midnight premiere with a large group of friends. He said it was AMAZING!! I can't wait to see it!!

I can't wait to see the movie this weekend!

As for Lotso, it seems like a marketing decision to me. Unlike Barbie, it's a toy they made up, so no licensing to pay out, and unlike some other new characters, it's cuddly and seems like a perfect plush of sorts. Heck, they even made a fake old 80s-style commercial for Lotso!

LoL So that was a fake commercial, me and DF watched it last week and I kept saying "I don't remember this being a real toy when I was little."

Going to see it today when DF gets home!!! :)

I'm really excited to see Ken in the movie, the fact that Michael Keaton is the voice just makes it 10xs better for me.

Then I began to think, why did they pick Lotso as the new character for meet and greets??? I just have a feeling his popularity might take a downturn. You'll find out why when you see the movie.

Our question exactly!!! We won't see TS3 until tomorrow, but we've had the storybooks for over a month. (Although our oldest - a pre-teen - does not want to read or hear the story before seeing the movie tomorrow, so it's been hard to make sure he doesn't hear about it!)

So we were wondering about the Lotso meet and greet. One of our boys (who knows the story) said he would not want to meet him - and his explanation was funny (won't include it here because it would give away the ending.) Our youngest still wants Lotso toys and wants to meet him (calls him "Huggy Bear") so I guess Disney must have known this!

Going to see this tomorrow. Can't wait.

We've debated on past movies on what movie should be our son's first trip to the theater. None came close until now. Can't wait for my son to see Buzz on the big screen!

^^^ Haven't seen the movie yet, but I'm still wondering why they would create a character meet and greet with Lotso when they've never created a character meet and greet with at least one of these very popular guys:

toy_story_aliens2.jpg

Awwwww, LGM.

toy_story_aliens2.jpg

Those things creep me out. I can't explain it....but the large quantities of a cult-like green alien thing? *shudder*

I took all "my" teens (you know; mine + the extra ones that are part of the family) to see Toy Story 3 last night at midnight. Ommigosh...we laughed (a lot!), we cried, we "Awwww'ed" and we laughed some more. Just an excellent, excellent movie and a perfect ending to the trilogy.

I was so happy to see it with my kids - they grew up watching TS1 and TS2 -and it was really special to share TS3 with my (now) young adults.
:3dglasses :grouphug: :3dglasses

I honestly don't know if I'd want my pic taken with Lotso Bear... but for those of us or our young adults who grew up with Toy Story, I can see this movie sparking interest in visiting the Disney Parks.

I wondered the same thing about Lotso.. it's not like they had Stinky Pete walking around for photo ops! I was disappointed that he ended up being evil!!!

Lotso is really cute, every time he's sad he has puppy eyes(hope that didn't spoil anything) and it was just too cute. I'll definitely want to meet him, probably just won't hug him! :laughing:

Saw the midnight showing....it. was. INCREDIBLE. I absolutely ADORED Andy in this film. :goodvibes I definitely felt an emotional attachment to this film, as it was definitely geared toward my generation. I cried, I laughed, it was definitely the most emotional animated movie I've ever endured.

Some spoilerish things down here, don't read if you haven't seen it.....

It was such a small mention in the film, but the brief thing they said about Bo Peep toward the beginning broke my heart. The whole film definitely has a bittersweet feeling to it. Toys being lost along the way, them having to stick together and moving on from their lives with Andy...I went through letting go of my childhood things recently as I'm just about a year or two older than Andy in the movie, and the pain Andy feels in the movie is definitely real. There's just a part of you that's hard to let go of, even if it seems childish.

I'm going to see it again in theatres. It was so good.

toy_story_aliens2.jpg

Haha, that would actually be very epic!

I took all "my" teens (you know; mine + the extra ones that are part of the family) to see Toy Story 3 last night at midnight. Ommigosh...we laughed (a lot!), we cried, we "Awwww'ed" and we laughed some more. Just an excellent, excellent movie and a perfect ending to the trilogy.

I was so happy to see it with my kids - they grew up watching TS1 and TS2 -and it was really special to share TS3 with my (now) young adults.
:3dglasses :grouphug: :3dglasses

I honestly don't know if I'd want my pic taken with Lotso Bear... but for those of us or our young adults who grew up with Toy Story, I can see this movie sparking interest in visiting the Disney Parks.

Yeah, we met Lotso at the parks when he first came out, and I liked him then, he was cute, pink, and huggable, but now I have no intrest in seeing him again lol

I know I'll be seeing it again though with my Mom, she wants to see it.

toy_story_aliens2.jpg

you have saved our lives! we are eternally grateful!

my son would FLIP if he could meet them!

i was surprised that they had a Lotso m&g. i know he isn't the nicest character from the movie. DD still wants to meet him (she hasn't seen the movie yet). i figure, they do have villain m&g sometimes, right? and people line up for those. ;)

^^^ My son is crazy about these critters! He has a set of 3 and a stuffed one he takes to bed. I know of at least one other family here on the disboards whose kids is nuts about them and in my neighborhood there are two other little boys who like them. I don't know why :confused3 I can see they are cute, but that's about it. I'm willing to bet there would be a loooooong line for these characters at WDW if they ever had a meet and greet with one (or more) of them.

I love the Toy Story movies :) but haven't seen the new one yet. After reading the responses in this thread, I'm definitely going to have to take everyone to the movies this weekend :)

I agree with OP. We just got back from seeing it... And now I understand where your coming from. I don't like the idea of seeing him in the parks now that I've seen the movie... I would have never thought that Disney would want this for our kids... Lotso is going to have a negative crowd, thats for sure!!
I agree with having the Green Marshans (spelling.) as a character.
:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter