Trash will now be taken every day

I’ll be there in feb. hoping to opt out. I have daily trash removal already. My husband has no problem taking it down the hall to drop it off. We are always there for more than 7 nights, so we always get multiple visits already.

I'm wondering if they will train the housekeepers to spot what is "off," because housekeepers are not security personnel, and if so who will be doing that training, or if they are planning to have personnel other than the housekeepers check the rooms once a day.

On our recent stay we got the room ready text when we were just around the corner at the pool. We actually got to the room as they were still standing outside of it. I'm assuming it was a housekeeping manager based on their attire said to us "they just finished up your room and I checked it for a good job". I wonder if this is always done? If it is or isn't this is also a route to have a manager simply do a check before marking the room ready. Housekeeping might be trained on some key things to look for but maybe heavier security training would fall on the manager. This is of course if security is the reason for the change and honestly it sounds very plausible to me.

It's a form of security for guests (which I won't argue with) and the property. I'm sure they'll look for obvious signs of various contraband and possible evidence of extra guests in the room/over occupancy. I have nothing to hide, not thrilled it adds to member costs. Really will be annoyed if on our last day I get a tap, tap, tapping @ 8 am under the guise of taking out the trash.

We book studios & tend to do shorter stays (4 - 7 days) & don't cook in the unit. Don't make much trash, that we do, we dump.

When they offered the CRO room credits to skip housekeeping I had hoped they might somehow extend it to the villas too, as if lol.

I’ll be there in feb. hoping to opt out. I have daily trash removal already. My husband has no problem taking it down the hall to drop it off. We are always there for more than 7 nights, so we always get multiple visits already.
Unfortunately, I don't think we can opt out?? According to this news source:
"guests will be “disturbed” at some point, as it will now be required that a Disney employee enter their hotel room at least once a day to ensure guest safety. If you choose to forgo housekeeping on a given day, the Disney nomenclature states that “the hotel and its staff reserve the right to enter your room for any purposes including, but not limited to, performing maintenance and repairs or checking on the safety and security of guests and property.” Disney states that cast members will give reasonable notice prior to entering by knocking and announcing that they will enter."

It's a form of security for guests (which I won't argue with) and the property. I'm sure they'll look for obvious signs of various contraband and possible evidence of extra guests in the room/over occupancy. I have nothing to hide, not thrilled it adds to member costs. Really will be annoyed if on our last day I get a tap, tap, tapping @ 8 am under the guise of taking out the trash.

We book studios & tend to do shorter stays (4 - 7 days) & don't cook in the unit. Don't make much trash, that we do, we dump.

When they offered the CRO room credits to skip housekeeping I had hoped they might somehow extend it to the villas too, as if lol.
I have nothing to hide either....but we do often take midday naps. I love the DO NOT DISTURB for this reason. Also for housekeeping knocking on our door on our checkout day at 7-8 am and waking us. So now I'll have to let housekeeping know our every move......when we nap....when I might be in the shower and not hear them knocking??? Because according to the news sources, despite the OCCUPIED sign they can still come in. Looks like constant phone communication with housekeeping will be necessary.

And this I find hysterical......I have been a DVC Member for 17 yrs. If my trash was that important to them I think they would have been removing it daily from day one:
"Your in-room experience has never been more important to us. That's why we will begin removing trash from your rooms at Disney Vacation Club resorts on a daily basis in addition to regular housekeeping visits. The daily service begins December 22, 2017, at five resort properties (Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian Villas & Bungalows, The Villas at Disney's Grand Floridian, Disney's Grand Californian and Aulani). The service extends to all other Disney Vacation Club resorts on January 7, 2018."

I have nothing to hide either....but we do often take midday naps. I love the DO NOT DISTURB for this reason. Also for housekeeping knocking on our door on our checkout day at 7-8 am and waking us. So now I'll have to let housekeeping know our every move......when we nap....when I might be in the shower and not hear them knocking??? Because according to the news sources, despite the OCCUPIED sign they can still come in. Looks like constant phone communication with housekeeping will be necessary.

And this I find hysterical......I have been a DVC Member for 17 yrs. If my trash was that important to them I think they would have been removing it daily from day one:
"Your in-room experience has never been more important to us. That's why we will begin removing trash from your rooms at Disney Vacation Club resorts on a daily basis in addition to regular housekeeping visits. The daily service begins December 22, 2017, at five resort properties (Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian Villas & Bungalows, The Villas at Disney's Grand Floridian, Disney's Grand Californian and Aulani). The service extends to all other Disney Vacation Club resorts on January 7, 2018."

As i do when staying at other time shares, I typically make a point of unplugging the phone ASAP. I forgot last stay @ SSR earlier this month. Came back to room & had call from spa offering services, something about sunrise yoga & another call from a guest dialing the wrong #. Not sure. If the 'sales' calls are something new or standard.

I love that I don't have to be disturbed on my trips. I am one of the folks who normally puts out the Do Not Disturb signs as soon as I check in.

My biggest annoyance is going to be the 8am knock on the door on check out day. The Do Not Disturb sign put an end to that annoyance.

I understand why Disney is doing this though so I will try not to yell at the Housekeeper who unluckily knocks on my door that early in the morning on checkout day.

Safe to say that the people running DVC today haven't been there for 17 years, much less 26 years. Plus the things that members truly do value have changed over the years, along with the degree to which management is willing to acknowledge and respond to those changing desires.

Will they still try to enter the room if you have the security lock on? They will need a means to override that.

Also, I wonder if this has something to do with the union contract that includes housekeeper? There currently may be a number of housekeepers not employed because of all the renovations and rooms being shut down in the non-DVC resorts. And just like DVC had to take the floors that Disney offered them at WL and Jambo House, maybe they also told them to take the extra housekeepers. Just a thought.

It seems like a ridiculous reaction to what happened in Las Vegas so I hope it wouldn't be because of that. My party recently walked through the lobby with 4 large suitcases taken from a car.
Are they going to open closed suit cases if they enter a room and there are a number of closed suitcases?

If someone really wants to do harm they will find a way. I don't want people in the room with my things when I am not present and I certainly don't want dues raised for this.

It seems like a ridiculous reaction to what happened in Las Vegas so I hope it wouldn't be because of that. My party recently walked through the lobby with 4 large suitcases taken from a car.
Are they going to open closed suit cases if they enter a room and there are a number of closed suitcases?

If someone really wants to do harm they will find a way. I don't want people in the room with my things when I am not present and I certainly don't want dues raised for this.

I agree with you. Been thinking that all day. Not sure what Disney thinks it will accomplish but won't do much except cause a raise in guest complaints.

No, but they are at least going to walk into your villa room where even a housekeeper would recognize a tripod-mounted sniper rifle pointed at Cinderella castle with a stockpile of ammunition sitting nearby.

Seems to me the public message is perhaps more important than the process itself.

Previous Policy: We won't even enter your room for 4-7 days at a stretch.
New Policy: We plan to enter on a daily basis to empty trash (and ensure guest safety.)

If someone really wants to do harm they will find a way.

Perhaps. But if you erect roadblocks, you increase the likelihood that they will choose another target, be discovered while planning, limit the damage, etc.

Admittedly this comment is 100% speculative but does it strike anyone else as interesting that this move was somewhat hastily implemented right before Christmas and New Year's Eve, beginning with the resorts that are clustered right around the Magic Kingdom?

No, but they are at least going to walk into your villa room where even a housekeeper would recognize a tripod-mounted sniper rifle pointed at Cinderella castle with a stockpile of ammunition sitting nearby.

Seems to me the public message is perhaps more important than the process itself.

Previous Policy: We won't even enter your room for 4-7 days at a stretch.
New Policy: We plan to enter on a daily basis to empty trash (and ensure guest safety.)

Perhaps. But if you erect roadblocks, you increase the likelihood that they will choose another target, be discovered while planning, limit the damage, etc.

Admittedly this comment is 100% speculative but does it strike anyone else as interesting that this move was somewhat hastily implemented right before Christmas and New Year's Eve, beginning with the resorts that are clustered right around the Magic Kingdom?

They more than likely won't. There is the inside chain lock still and housekeeping isn't going to be coming in at night when it's dark. Sorry this won't stop much.

They more than likely won't. There is the inside chain lock still and housekeeping isn't going to be coming in at night when it's dark. Sorry this won't stop much.

Welp, assuming there is some security element, I'm willing to defer to the professionals on what is and is not effective.

Given that Disney has about 30,000 hotel rooms to address daily, at this stage I'll assume they've discussed proper methods for dealing with late risers, sleeping children and a dozen other scenarios. They can happily empty my trash daily, just like every hotel I've stayed in.

I have a good reason why I don't want anyone in my room when I am not there. I can't explain further so I won't answer questions on that comment.
I am not going to be happy if there isn't a way to set up inspection while I am in the room and I have no problem removing my own garbage as usual or handing it to someone at that time.

I am not going to be happy if there isn't a way to set up inspection while I am in the room and I have no problem removing my own garbage as usual or handing it to someone at that time.

This may actually increase the 'garbage in the halls' problem. People know the mouse keepers are coming for trash and don't want to be disturbed so they leave it outside the room.

This may actually increase the 'garbage in the halls' problem. People know the mouse keepers are coming for trash and don't want to be disturbed so they leave it outside the room.
They should be honest about the purpose for the change. If it has anything to do with an additional service it should be optional. If this is, as I stated in my opinion above, a lame attempt at security, they should note it as such. After all, if they are trying to discourage people with nefarious intentions, don't they want to make sure these people get the message?

For me this is really opening Disney up for accusations for theft. Anything goes missing their staff will be the first accused. I don't buy their reasons, but if I don't like it I don't have to go there.

We are going next November, it if is a bad experience it will be our last. Bad enough we are treated like criminals at the airport, and I won't tolerate similar treatment in a hotel room/villa I paid for.

Fold the rifle in the mattress of the pull out sofa, tuck the tripod in the drawer, and put the ammo in the suit case in the closet. Unless the housekeeper is searching the room, the criminal has only been delayed for a few minutes. This policy will do nothing to stop someone who wants to carry out an attack.

I understand the thought behind Disney's policy....they are concerned with guest safety. The problem is that this policy of merely entering a guest's room every day is meaningless. It will not do anything to enhance security. It will be an annoyance to many guests, particularly to those who like to occupy their rooms during the day and therefore lower guest satisfaction. The "cost" does not justify the "benefit" and I don't think this policy will last very long. I think that there will be a lot of guest complaints. I can also see a lot of unscrupulous guests accusing cast members of theft in the hopes of getting comped from Disney. The opposite might also be true. We will have to see how it plays out. Personally, I am not a fan of it, but it is what it is. My next trip isn't until October 2018 so hopefully they have the kinks worked out by then.

Who knows maybe Disney has intel that someone was coming and would set up a bomb factory in a room. We assume it's all about a rifle. We don't know what they have been told (if anything).
I for one am v glad Disney works so hard to keep us safe.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter