Trash will now be taken every day

Fold the rifle in the mattress of the pull out sofa, tuck the tripod in the drawer, and put the ammo in the suit case in the closet. Unless the housekeeper is searching the room, the criminal has only been delayed for a few minutes. This policy will do nothing to stop someone who wants to carry out an attack.

I understand the thought behind Disney's policy....they are concerned with guest safety. The problem is that this policy of merely entering a guest's room every day is meaningless. It will not do anything to enhance security. It will be an annoyance to many guests, particularly to those who like to occupy their rooms during the day and therefore lower guest satisfaction. The "cost" does not justify the "benefit" and I don't think this policy will last very long. I think that there will be a lot of guest complaints. I can also see a lot of unscrupulous guests accusing cast members of theft in the hopes of getting comped from Disney. The opposite might also be true. We will have to see how it plays out. Personally, I am not a fan of it, but it is what it is. My next trip isn't until October 2018 so hopefully they have the kinks worked out by then.

I fully agree with you.

The only thing I could possibly see them catching is maybe the possible room exceeding room occupancy and maybe the rare sad occurance of someone found dead in the room or suffering a health issue (i.e. heart attack, stroke and such). On the DVC side maybe one less stinky room...LOL

Who knows maybe Disney has intel that someone was coming and would set up a bomb factory in a room. We assume it's all about a rifle. We don't know what they have been told (if anything).
I for one am v glad Disney works so hard to keep us safe.
Seriously? I was just there and went through the metal detector at MK. It went off. I told them I had an artificial knee (which I do) and they said okay and let me keep walking.

Having said that, I agree, it is good they are trying to make an effort for security but when it becomes intrusive to the point of being able to access my personal possessions without my presence, I have a problem.
There is a reason I don't pack valuables when I fly. I keep anything of worth with me as carry-on.

I am one that doesn't like people coming in my room.
In a normal hotel room, I put out my Do Not Disturb sign. I straighten up after myself.

I will be traveling alone in Jan.....and was even going to skip trash and towel day since I will be alone. Sounds like that is not going to happen.

I couldn’t care less either. I come from U.K., where we had IRA trying to blow us up in the 1970’s to 1990’s so tight security was always in place. We now have these jihadis (Manchester bomb etc) just like USA. The arena near me ( we are 50 miles from Manchester in Leeds) now has a security cordon around it on concert nights, had to get there 2 hours early to see Queen a few weeks ago due to security (was overkill mind, but they said get there 2 hours early, we were sat inside waiting for it to start for 1 hour). In the USA, there is the added massive complication of Joe public getting their hands on powerful weaponary, no one has guns over here (even serious criminals struggle to get anything but an old revolver and that is rare).
We don’t know what intel Disney have had, but this is a pretty big and potentially costly thing to do (for non DVC), and also risks a lot of customer kick back, so they must have very good reason to do it. A Las Vegas type incident, someone making bombs etc would be a disaster for Disney as well as the victims.
I always remember first coming to USA and being amazed at how people could just walk on planes (as stated, we’d had tight security for decades mainly because of IRA threat). It’s sad to see those days long gone, and I’m afraid they’ll never be back.

Fold the rifle in the mattress of the pull out sofa, tuck the tripod in the drawer, and put the ammo in the suit case in the closet. Unless the housekeeper is searching the room, the criminal has only been delayed for a few minutes. This policy will do nothing to stop someone who wants to carry out an attack.

I understand the thought behind Disney's policy....they are concerned with guest safety. The problem is that this policy of merely entering a guest's room every day is meaningless. It will not do anything to enhance security. It will be an annoyance to many guests, particularly to those who like to occupy their rooms during the day and therefore lower guest satisfaction. The "cost" does not justify the "benefit" and I don't think this policy will last very long. I think that there will be a lot of guest complaints. I can also see a lot of unscrupulous guests accusing cast members of theft in the hopes of getting comped from Disney. The opposite might also be true. We will have to see how it plays out. Personally, I am not a fan of it, but it is what it is. My next trip isn't until October 2018 so hopefully they have the kinks worked out by then.
I’m guessing that upper management looked at (potential?) class action lawsuits in Vegas and decided to implement these daily checks to reduce liability.
These daily checks are probably much cheaper than some major lawsuits.

Plan on bringing a pad of neon colored sticky notes. When napping, showering, or otherwise occupied, I will stick a note on the door something like this.
NAPPING, PLEASE DO NOT DISTURB. COME BACK IN 2 HOURS FOR TRASH.
No plans to leave our garbage outside in the hallway. It makes the villas look trashy. :)
On check out day I will post the time we will be leaving the villa.

I’m guessing that upper management looked at (potential?) class action lawsuits in Vegas and decided to implement these daily checks to reduce liability.
These daily checks are probably much cheaper than some major lawsuits.

They also want to avoid people referring to future security changes elsewhere as being in response to "The Disney Event". Typically places where tragedies occur are closed down for good. Vegas will be hit hard all because of one moron. Disney does not want their name being associated with anything like that, and I don't blame their reasoning.
I don't like the invasion of privacy, and feel that this is a bit of an overreaction, but I at least understand where they are coming from in their decision.

No, but they are at least going to walk into your villa room where even a housekeeper would recognize a tripod-mounted sniper rifle pointed at Cinderella castle with a stockpile of ammunition sitting nearby.

Most competitive shooters carry their rifles in hard sided cases that resemble golf club bags. This is by design, to not alert hotel staff and guests that they have weapons (which may target their room for theft, or alarm other guests). The rifle support fits inside the same case. A tremendous amount of ammunition can be carried in a briefcase. I doubt any housekeeper would recognize a golf bag and a briefcase as anything to worry about.

I'm not a fan of the new policy, since it's going to cause my wife to want to "straighten up" before we leave for the parks. For her, that's not just putting away the electronics and making the bed... Lunch will be being served by the time we get anywhere!

They also want to avoid people referring to future security changes elsewhere as being in response to "The Disney Event". Typically places where tragedies occur are closed down for good. Vegas will be hit hard all because of one moron. Disney does not want their name being associated with anything like that, and I don't blame their reasoning.
I don't like the invasion of privacy, and feel that this is a bit of an overreaction, but I at least understand where they are coming from in their decision.

I get the reasoning too, but this is going to do much at all in the end but potentially make guests unhappy in the long run. I honestly will be interested to see how well it implements anyway.

Having said that, I agree, it is good they are trying to make an effort for security but when it becomes intrusive to the point of being able to access my personal possessions without my presence, I have a problem.

Disney...and every other hotel in the world...has always had carte blanche to enter occupied rooms when the guest is not present. Housekeeping, maintenance, management...they've always had justification for visiting rooms.

Most competitive shooters carry their rifles in hard sided cases that resemble golf club bags. This is by design, to not alert hotel staff and guests that they have weapons (which may target their room for theft, or alarm other guests). The rifle support fits inside the same case. A tremendous amount of ammunition can be carried in a briefcase. I doubt any housekeeper would recognize a golf bag and a briefcase as anything to worry about.

I'm not going to waste time arguing specifics. To the people who claim this has absolutely zero positive impact, I simply cannot agree. Physical presence in that guest room by a hotel staff member on a daily basis will have SOME impact. Admittedly I am in no position to measure that impact. Fortunately Disney has security professionals far more knowledgeable than myself to advise them.

If I were of a mind to do...something...inappropriate in a Disney hotel room, a published policy dictating that someone would be visiting the room daily gives me a lot more pause than a policy under which I can hang the DND sign and not be bothered for 3-4 days.

Disney has a responsibility to protect its guests. This isn't a veiled excuse to rummage thru suitcases and steal iPads. This is an expensive change and DVC dues will only be paying a fraction of it. At a minimum, we know the procedure is being adopted at Walt Disney World, Disneyland and Aulani. Hilton Head and Vero seem likely and perhaps all of their hotels around the world. The change will undoubtedly require additional staff, training, technology, materials, etc. Do people really think that Disney would adopt this change haphazardly?

Every hotel I've ever stayed in serviced the room daily. A daily trash service (/room visit) added to DVC is not the least bit unprecedented. Think beyond the terrorism aspect. It would be naive dismiss the variety of illegal activities which have undoubtedly occurred in Disney hotel rooms over the years (drugs, theft, etc.) Is it easier to commit these acts with daily room checks or when rooms are left undisturbed for days on end?

If folks have some personal phobia or concerns, by all means address with management. But if Disney has a legitimate reason for adding a new security step, those personal phobias aren't going to dissuade them from implementing the process in their tens-of-thousands of hotel rooms. Nor should it.

Disney...and every other hotel in the world...has always had carte blanche to enter occupied rooms when the guest is not present. Housekeeping, maintenance, management...they've always had justification for visiting rooms.
Not suggesting they couldn't just saying they didn't. Now it sounds like it will be an everyday occurrence.

Does anyone else think it odd that if DVC was truly doing this for Members' Benefit, there was the perfect opportunity to announce it at the DVC Annual Meeting. and then wait for the thunderous applause? No, DVC knew that Members would be less than thrilled, so they hid behind the Email, so they didn't hear the complaints and grumbles. Maybe if they admitted their true motives, I'd at least respect their honesty.

Does anyone else think it odd that if DVC was truly doing this for Members' Benefit, there was the perfect opportunity to announce it at the DVC Annual Meeting. and then wait for the thunderous applause? No, DVC knew that Members would be less than thrilled, so they hid behind the Email, so they didn't hear the complaints and grumbles.

Personally I don't find that to be the case. If it had been announced, it would have been exactly as communicated in the email and it would have been met with applause. The virtual hand-wringing wouldn't have begun until later.

If it is for the members benefit, how about some fresh towels?

Dues would rise considerably higher given the additional laundry & handling costs

If it is for the members benefit, how about some fresh towels?
What is really interesting is that it is for safety at the resorts.

But for our benefit, an enhancement, and not safety at DVC. Did the left hand not know how the right hand was explaining it?

tjkraz,
Tim, I believe you are making some excellent statements (deterrents, roadblocks, etc.) All standard security tools. But you might be overthinking this in regards to housekeeping. Disney's corporate security already has their crisis management / emergency planning plans in place. They are already hooked into homeland security, FBI and local police for developing valid plans and attention to credible threats. (Particularly since they were a target during Sept 11). I'm sure they increase their security around certain seasons as well. Let's just leave housekeeping trash pick up as a new perk. Many have stated in other forums that they can't stand the food trays left in hallways or, unlike me, they actually want trash pick up daily. That being said, if I were managing, I would ask the other support organizations to "observe and report." Which is like the "see something say something." Don't do anything....just report anything you think is unusual. That is all I would expect from non security professionals in maintenance, housekeeping, park cast members, hotel staff, etc.

tjkraz,
Tim, I believe you are making some excellent statements (deterrents, roadblocks, etc.) All standard security tools. But you might be overthinking this in regards to housekeeping. Disney's corporate security already has their crisis management / emergency planning plans in place. They are already hooked into homeland security, FBI and local police for developing valid plans and attention to credible threats. (Particularly since they were a target during Sept 11). I'm sure they increase their security around certain seasons as well. Let's just leave housekeeping trash pick up as a new perk. Many have stated in other forums that they can't stand the food trays left in hallways or, unlike me, they actually want trash pick up daily. That being said, if I were managing, I would ask the other support organizations to "observe and report." Which is like the "see something say something." Don't do anything....just report anything you think is unusual. That is all I would expect from non security professionals in maintenance, housekeeping, park cast members, hotel staff, etc.

It is not that people don't mind daily trash pick up its the fact that it can't be skipped/turned down that people aren't as happy with. I have a kid in diapers still so daily trash is kind of nice, but other wise we could care less and prefer less people in our rooms with all our stuff or us trying to get ready/nap/etc.

It is not that people don't mind daily trash pick up its the fact that it can't be skipped/turned down that people aren't as happy with. I have a kid in diapers still so daily trash is kind of nice, but other wise we could care less and prefer less people in our rooms with all our stuff or us trying to get ready/nap/etc.

Oh I don't disagree. I want my do not disturb sign! I completely unerstand the trash argument/issues. I was just addressing that housekeeping is not performing professional security tasks with this new assignment. Maybe just observation as we all should do.

Safe to say that the people running DVC today haven't been there for 17 years, much less 26 years. Plus the things that members truly do value have changed over the years, along with the degree to which management is willing to acknowledge and respond to those changing desires.

Probably more importantly they aren't going to send out a non magical message that says "given the rise in mass shooting incidents in the United States, and the fact that Disney is a huge target for terrorists activity, we will now be checking your rooms every day for your own safety to make sure you haven't moved in twelve cases of guns, a ton of fertilizer or a dirty bomb" This is a case of "how do we spin this so that people don't freak out."

And when its put that way, I sure hope they don't let anyone opt out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter