Trash will now be taken every day

Seems to me, surprises wouldn't happen if the safety latch is engaged.

IMO, many posters seem to be over-reacting and "assuming facts not in evidence.". YMMV.
We shall see in January when we are there.

Of course, keeping the safety latch engaged doesn't work if one of the party is out of the room. If the snooping housekeeper is locked out, so is my husband. So when I am napping or showering he either has to stay put or keep out. No going back and forth.

And of course when we decide to have sex (lets be honest, that is what we will be doing) we will have to have the safety latch engaged AND stop what we are doing to let the snooping housekeeper know to come back later. Otherwise what will they do? Just leave us alone and pretend that they didn't stop by? Or will they let security know that we are suspicious because we won't let them into our room?

Seems to me, surprises wouldn't happen if the safety latch is engaged.

IMO, many posters seem to be over-reacting and "assuming facts not in evidence.". YMMV.

The safety latch means no one can get into the room so if not everyone is napping they either need to just stay out or stay in. Same thing just getting ready in the morning. Often one of us will shower and the other will go get some coffee or breakfast or whatever.

The safety latch means no one can get into the room so if not everyone is napping they either need to just stay out or stay in. Same thing just getting ready in the morning. Often one of us will shower and the other will go get some coffee or breakfast or whatever.
Remember the hoopla when they took the handles off of the mugs? People were up in arms because they would send one person with all of the cups to get drinks, while everyone else would get ready for the parks.

Now you have to latch the door. And one person will have to stay available to answer the door. Of course since there are only two of us, we simply have to have one person getting ready and one person standing guard.

For me this is really opening Disney up for accusations for theft. Anything goes missing their staff will be the first accused. I don't buy their reasons, but if I don't like it I don't have to go there.

We are going next November, it if is a bad experience it will be our last. Bad enough we are treated like criminals at the airport, and I won't tolerate similar treatment in a hotel room/villa I paid for.

I agree with you. We are going in the spring and will see what happens. Having been a member form the beginning and an owner of many points, the fun is being taken out of WDW vacationing with the bag checking at the parks and the monorails and now this. The least likely people to cause a problem are DVC members. If WDW is truly that unsafe, maybe it is not the place to vacation anymore.

My son-in-law is a risk management executive, but not in the travel industry. When I mentioned this to him, he instantly made the connection to the Mandalay Bay shooting.
He says that a general liability policy would exclude acts of terrorism anyway. There is a new “terrorism liability” policy that has been available for about the past ten years . These policies could very well require a daily entrance to the room, or alternatively, decline to pay a claim if there is not a policy of daily inspection.

I agree with you. We are going in the spring and will see what happens. Having been a member form the beginning and an owner of many points, the fun is being taken out of WDW vacationing with the bag checking at the parks and the monorails and now this. The least likely people to cause a problem are DVC members. If WDW is truly that unsafe, maybe it is not the place to vacation anymore.

I also do not like the time and effort needed for the bag check at the parks, but it is infinitely better than any bag check I have had at the airport. Staff always has a smile on their faces, you can make a joke or two with them, and they always wish me a good time at the park. Very low stress environment compared to the grouches I have had to tolerate at the airports (especially MCO).
With Disneys amazing customer service history, I can easily see them carefully looking into any potential theft and compensating customers who have evidence of it.
I think we are making quite a mountain out of a molehill. It's 30 seconds a day, will get out stinky garbage out of our rooms, and increases security by 5% or so.

I have been through many of DVC changes and the “hoopla”. When they removed the mugs from studios was a particularly fun one. I even called DVC to complain on that one.

Folks we live in different times now. I personally refuse to let terrorism stop my travel, but I must admit the extra security soothes me. In fact on my 1st trip to DL this summer after I walked right into the park I questioned CM how come my bag was not checked. He questioned where I came from. I didn’t realize leaving GCV the bag check was there into the bigger secure area.:headache:
Just like when all of the cameras were put up on streets. They are not looking for petty stuff. Ie, smoking a joint on corner, stop sign rolls etc. They are looking for big stuff.
So IMO this is totally for security.... and I don’t think this is to enforce occupancy, a cigarette bud on balcony...:duck:
Will Disney maybe make a note somewhere in their files that Dvc member so and so has heroin on there bedside.... yes... will they throw u out No.
So I do think this is totally for security and I’m totally not only OK with it, it makes me feel just a lil safer.
And yes I know anything can happen anywhere I live in New York.
Edit I will have sticky notes and put chain on door when I don’t want to be disturbed and hopefully that will work.
Kerri

Last edited:
Seriously, if anyone thinks having a housekeeper snoop around our rooms is going to increase our safety, God help us. Anyone can walk into Disney Springs and wreak havoc. Further, anyone can get on a bus at Disney Springs and walk into the lobby of any of the resorts and go crazy. Yet, to get into EPCOT from monorail resort, my wife has to have her handbag pillaged twice by guards with unsanitized hands because she might be carrying a small knife in her wallet as told to her by one security person. Give me a break!!!

Who says that only housekeeping will be entering the rooms? The sign says that Disney staff will knock, how about others, WDW just increased the budget for OCS. I agree that it is a money thing, reduced insurance costs due to increased searches. Has things really gotten worse or is the news reporting more? For years people carried guns into Disney and nothing was reported and nothing happened.

:earsboy: Bill

My SOP when arriving to my room, is put the DND sign out, lock the door, latch the safety latch. I stay for less that 6 days, so typically just get one Trash and Towel day, which I don't need when traveling solo. I normally refuse TT day. Now it looks like I have to have it, whether I want it or not.
And if they insist on coming in, then they better put in bigger safes so I can lock up my laptop. Since they obviously aren't going to do that, I am now going to have to purchase a laptop lock system so I can secure my laptop to large pieces of furniture.
Not a fan of this new "perk".

Anyone can walk into Disney Springs and wreak havoc. Further, anyone can get on a bus at Disney Springs and walk into the lobby of any of the resorts and go crazy.

And yet, neither of those things has happened.

My SOP when arriving to my room, is put the DND sign out, lock the door, latch the safety latch. I stay for less that 6 days, so typically just get one Trash and Towel day, which I don't need when traveling solo. I normally refuse TT day. Now it looks like I have to have it, whether I want it or not.
And if they insist on coming in, then they better put in bigger safes so I can lock up my laptop. Since they obviously aren't going to do that, I am now going to have to purchase a laptop lock system so I can secure my laptop to large pieces of furniture.
Not a fan of this new "perk".

Personally, I've never locked up my laptop. I've never had a problem. I do lock up my credit cards, car keys and wallet in the safe...and I only carry ID, health card and one credit card in the parks.

Last edited:
From the responses on this thread it sounds like most DVC members spend the bulk of their time sleeping or having sex. Another huge marketing point for DVC!
Well, I nap, pretty much every day. I do it at home and on vacation.

And since it is just my husband and myself on vacation, sex is a lot more common than at home with our son at home.

So, yes, I will be napping or having sex every day, while on vacation.

I plan to go to the door naked if they knock. I won't be rushing around grabbing clothes.

I plan to go to the door naked if they knock. I won't be rushing around grabbing clothes

This is why I don't get why people are so worried about it. If some poor housekeeper walks in on me doing something naked, I feel bad for the housekeeper, not me. I either got mine or had some other good reason to be in the nude. They are the ones who have to deal with me, not the other way around. When I see a door to door salesperson at the door of my house, I rarely bother throwing on a bathrobe. They chose to come to my house, and were not invited.

Huh, we just stayed in a Poly studio Dec 22-25 and no one collected our trash or entered our room as far as I can tell.

Well, I nap, pretty much every day. I do it at home and on vacation.

And since it is just my husband and myself on vacation, sex is a lot more common than at home with our son at home.

So, yes, I will be napping or having sex every day, while on vacation.

I plan to go to the door naked if they knock. I won't be rushing around grabbing clothes.
Sounds like you need that nap to give you energy.

That removes one of the best perks to DVC, no daily intruders. Wonder if we can opt out on this?
I've come to enjoy not "cleaning my room" before housekeeping comes in and I really don't mind taking out the trash if there is a lot before T&T day. I'm also wondering what this will do to our annual dues. Obviously there will need to be more housekeeping staff.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter