Travel Decisions

Heatherdbby

Mouseketeer
So I live in the upstate of SC.
We are cruising in October on the Dream out of Port Canaveral.

We can either fly or drive.

I got the alert last night that for both my son and I could fly for about 25K miles plus about 30 dollars in taxes and fees out of atlanta (2 hours south)

Or we could do 48K miles (which I am slightly short on) with 30 in taxes and fees to fly out of where we live.

Or I could drive about 8 hrs with a three year old...

I am debating mainly between the drive or Atlanta. If I do Atlanta I would have to pay to store my car there, plus a one day rental on each side of the cruise, as when we disembark we are staying onsite one night. Night before we are just staying at a local cheap motel.

Versus driving, and having gas and time as the price. Then just storing my car when we arrive at port.

So what would you do?

Can you buy points or transfer some in from another loyalty program? For example I know you can transfer spg star points to airlines. I think how much it costs to park your car at the airport 2hours away vs how much it costs to buy frequent flyer miles would be the place to start.

We are cruising on the Dream in October too and we live in Aiken. When our kids were smaller we left for Florida around 5, stopped for an hour or so for a late dinner around 8, and let the littles sleep their way to Mickey.

If I lived that close, I'd drive. My aunt used to make the 15 hour drive from Charlotte to Miami with 3 preschoolers by herself and it was fine. When ours were preschoolers, we would drive 2 days for WDW and had very few problems.

Videos are your friend on a long drive. Also, take short breaks every couple of hours for pee and stretch breaks.

Don't forget, flying can be an all day hassle, too. Even for an hour trip, you have to be at the airport 90 minutes early, then you have to wait for your luggage, as well. And TSA with a toddler isn't always easy.

We drive down from central VA to when leaving from PC. We leave early (4AM or before) and the kids sleep the first 4 hours or so. After that, they zone on the movie player in the van. When they were very small (5 and younger for all three) we drove home to the Midwest and left VA at midnight so that they'd sleep for large bulk of the drive. So far we've driven to PC every time (and to NY).

Drive for sure. You have an hour driving from MCO to PC, combined with 2 hours to Atlanta, plus having to get to the airport at least an hour early each way and parking, returning rental car, etc. By the time you do all that you might as well drive. Plus, you will have a lot more autonomy with your own car and flexibility as to when and where you go.

So I live in the upstate of SC.
We are cruising in October on the Dream out of Port Canaveral.

We can either fly or drive.

I got the alert last night that for both my son and I could fly for about 25K miles plus about 30 dollars in taxes and fees out of atlanta (2 hours south)

Or we could do 48K miles (which I am slightly short on) with 30 in taxes and fees to fly out of where we live.

Or I could drive about 8 hrs with a three year old...

I am debating mainly between the drive or Atlanta. If I do Atlanta I would have to pay to store my car there, plus a one day rental on each side of the cruise, as when we disembark we are staying onsite one night. Night before we are just staying at a local cheap motel.

Versus driving, and having gas and time as the price. Then just storing my car when we arrive at port.

So what would you do?
I would drive. 8 hours isn't that bad, even with a 3 year old.

MUN

With the state of the Airline Industry as it is today, with smaller seats, over full planes, surly flight crews and TSA security, I ALWAYS drive. Granted I don't have any small kids anymore, but taking a domestic flight is like punishment. Depending on when you drive, the trip down I-95 towards the port can be difficult at times, especially around the bigger cities, but for the most part, easier than getting through security in Atlanta.

Tom in Okeechobee, FL

I have to fly in and out of Hartsfield-Jackson airport in Atlanta a lot for work. At least twice a month. I have had it take close to a hour to get through the lines in security on several occasions. I would not want to be in that long line with a three year old. That alone would have me driving. Once you factor in the your drive from South Carolina, Atlanta traffic which is often a huge time sucker, time to park at the airport, check in with your airline, airport security, train to your terminal and getting on board your flight and then time in Orlando to gather luggage, pick up car rental and drive to your resort how much time does driving actually save?

If you have your car you can avoid Atlanta by taking 95 down to Florida. You can stop when or if need be.

I would drive.

Are those airline miles per person? I think a 3 y/o needs his own seat (i.e. no "infant in arms" option).

In your position, I would drive, without hesitation.

If I lived that close, I'd drive.

I had to laugh at this - obviously your definition of close and mine are vastly different. I fly preferentially even over a 4-hour drive. However, I have to say that I wouldn't use points for such a short flight. We rarely even use them for flights to MCO from Toronto because it never seems like a particularly good value. Somehow I always feel like the airline is getting the bargain out of that.

If you're willing to drive the eight hours, given that the drive to the airport is already 2 hours away, it seems like it might be better to drive in your case. Plus you don't need to worry about limiting how much luggage you can bring and you only have to haul it to the car from home and from the pickup at PC to the car rather than through the airport twice with a little in tow.

I agree with driving 8 hours versus driving 2 hours and then flying. It probably won't even take you longer when you consider that once you fly, you'd still have to get transportation of 1 hour from the airport to the port. Just drive straight to Port Canaveral and stay the night as you planned.

Plus, "long" drives like this will get your child used to it, and enjoy it in the future. Just remember to make the drive PART of the vacation, not just a thing that must be done before the fun starts. My parents always (mostly) drove us to our vacations, and now, 16 hours seems like a reasonable car ride and anything less feels short to me.

Have fun with whatever you decide!

Last edited:
Given my luck with the Atlanta airport, I would vote for driving. Every time I've flown through there I've had some sort of delay. I avoid it at all costs now.

I would drive. My 3 year old would be much easier in the car than in a plane, plus the packing and is easier without all the security restrictions. You can have all his favorite snacks and toys available, listen to an awesome playlist together, and just be in your own comfortable space.

I would drive. When you take into account travel to/from airport (on both sides), plus security lines and air time, you're almost breaking even.

Well I'll be the voice of dissent and say "fly" - I live in the ATL and often as not you get stuck in horrible traffic trying to go through or around the city, so your "8-hour drive" may end up being much longer. If you do drive get a Peach Pass so you can use the hotlanes on 75-South. But yes, we've always flown ATL-MCO and it's delightful, there are a ton of flights per day so lots of backup options if your flight gets canceled, delayed, etc.; both airports have lots of food and things for kids to do, and the flight is literally over in a jiffy. We are driving for the first time due to the need to stop at a family reunion on the way home. Mine are almost 11 and almost 8 so they are finally getting to the point where they can be normal in a car. But when mine were three they were HORRIBLE in the car and I totally understand your desire to fly. It really boils down to what's best for your family/what's your preferred way to travel. Oh, and btw, I have gotten some INCREDIBLE deals from ATL-MCO several times - like $59/each way deals - on both Delta and Southwest - so you may want to set up a fare alert with Kayak, Google Flights, etc. before you pull the trigger on points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter