Travel Decisions

I'd never waste FF miles on what could be an 8 hour drive, even with a three year old. We were traveling with our son when he was just an infant and he was three the first time we ventured cross country - driving from Nashville, TN to Yellowstone. We had a portable VCR/TV combo (this was 16 years ago) and my husband and father in law built a holding device to secure it on the front console of our truck. He sat in the middle of the back seat, and watched Dragon Tales the entire way there, back and often while driving through Yellowstone. I kid you not. We had all kinds of movies, but he only wanted to watch the ones that his "Gaga" taped for him. My FIL had taped hours upon hours of Dragon Tales shows for him and we listened to them for two weeks. You'd think I'd hate that show, but to this day it is my all-time favorite kid show of that era, just because of that trip.

Fill an iPad with movies or TV shows and drive. Save the FF miles for something else. I hoarded our miles for several years and when we did the Norway/Iceland cruise we had enough for three tickets to Copenhagen and then back from London - worth several thousand $$$$.

I'd drive too. We're about 20hrs away and we drive to port with our kiddos. It's nice not to deal with TSA etc. Not sure where in SC you are coming from but we come down the 77, 26 to the 95, unless there's an accident never had an issue.

I-95 for the (very long) win!

BTW: There's 50 'South of the Border' billboards on the southbound transit and 49 on the northbound. Not that I've ever been bored witless on that stretch of the drive or anything! :)

I vote for drive too. Two hours to just get to the airport and then the airport hassle would be the deciding factor for me. Car trips can be fun with breaks and snacks and games. Different things to see. Whatever you choose enjoy your trip!

I'd drive in a heartbeat, but then again, we make the 10-hour drive a couple of times a year, minimum. If you're coming from anywhere near Greenville then you'll be taking I-95 most of the way anyway, and you can avoid the hell that is Atlanta traffic.

From Greenville, SC. We drove 3 times a year for 30 years. Now we fly exclusively from Greenville. We use Southwest. Love their flights and points are never that bad. You couldn't pay me to drive anymore :) And - I would not drive to Atlanta to leave my car there. easier to just fly from here.

We are cruising on the Dream in October too and we live in Aiken. When our kids were smaller we left for Florida around 5, stopped for an hour or so for a late dinner around 8, and let the littles sleep their way to Mickey.
Oh yeah? Which week? I leave Oct 13.
When you guys left at 5 and stopped, roughly what time did that put you getting to the world at?

Well I'll be the voice of dissent and say "fly" - I live in the ATL and often as not you get stuck in horrible traffic trying to go through or around the city, so your "8-hour drive" may end up being much longer. If you do drive get a Peach Pass so you can use the hotlanes on 75-South. But yes, we've always flown ATL-MCO and it's delightful, there are a ton of flights per day so lots of backup options if your flight gets canceled, delayed, etc.; both airports have lots of food and things for kids to do, and the flight is literally over in a jiffy. We are driving for the first time due to the need to stop at a family reunion on the way home. Mine are almost 11 and almost 8 so they are finally getting to the point where they can be normal in a car. But when mine were three they were HORRIBLE in the car and I totally understand your desire to fly. It really boils down to what's best for your family/what's your preferred way to travel. Oh, and btw, I have gotten some INCREDIBLE deals from ATL-MCO several times - like $59/each way deals - on both Delta and Southwest - so you may want to set up a fare alert with Kayak, Google Flights, etc. before you pull the trigger on points.

I would go down and go through savanah and 95! even when i lived in SW florida, driving up to tampa, over through orlando, and then up 95 was faster than following 75 stright up to 85 lol.
funny how that atlanta traffic is, but I love it, as we go down to Atl atleast 2x a month between six flags and the aquarium!

From Greenville, SC. We drove 3 times a year for 30 years. Now we fly exclusively from Greenville. We use Southwest. Love their flights and points are never that bad. You couldn't pay me to drive anymore :) And - I would not drive to Atlanta to leave my car there. easier to just fly from here.

I didnt even check SW flights from GSP. I just assumed allegiant or delta were my options! Do you think being less than 60 days out I can find something good? Do you book a rental through SW?

I'd never waste FF miles on what could be an 8 hour drive, even with a three year old. We were traveling with our son when he was just an infant and he was three the first time we ventured cross country - driving from Nashville, TN to Yellowstone. We had a portable VCR/TV combo (this was 16 years ago) and my husband and father in law built a holding device to secure it on the front console of our truck. He sat in the middle of the back seat, and watched Dragon Tales the entire way there, back and often while driving through Yellowstone. I kid you not. We had all kinds of movies, but he only wanted to watch the ones that his "Gaga" taped for him. My FIL had taped hours upon hours of Dragon Tales shows for him and we listened to them for two weeks. You'd think I'd hate that show, but to this day it is my all-time favorite kid show of that era, just because of that trip.

Fill an iPad with movies or TV shows and drive. Save the FF miles for something else. I hoarded our miles for several years and when we did the Norway/Iceland cruise we had enough for three tickets to Copenhagen and then back from London - worth several thousand $$$$.

Maybe Ill save for an alaskan or hawaii trip!!
And Im pretty partial to Dragon Tales too :D

I'd drive too. We're about 20hrs away and we drive to port with our kiddos. It's nice not to deal with TSA etc. Not sure where in SC you are coming from but we come down the 77, 26 to the 95, unless there's an accident never had an issue.

Where in the world is 77? lol. Im in greenville, so I would be heading 385 to 26 to 95. I thought I had to get on 20 somewhere in there, but might not!

I-95 for the (very long) win!

BTW: There's 50 'South of the Border' billboards on the southbound transit and 49 on the northbound. Not that I've ever been bored witless on that stretch of the drive or anything! :)

Have you ever went to South of the Border??? My boyfriend is stationed in Ft Bragg NC, so I drive from greenville sc to fayetteville nc and have stopped at South of the Border a couple times to grab a taco or two! Bought some postcards and a shirt!

I'd drive in a heartbeat, but then again, we make the 10-hour drive a couple of times a year, minimum. If you're coming from anywhere near Greenville then you'll be taking I-95 most of the way anyway, and you can avoid the hell that is Atlanta traffic.

I live in downtown Greenville!
I have the choice of 95 or 85 - depending on time I leave will pick my poison if i drive lol

I'm in the "we have the miles...let's fly!" boat, but I hate driving. We're looking at WDW next summer and driving...with the in-laws. 16 hours...there's not enough wine in the world!

Something else to consider...have you considered renting a car one way, and flying the other way?

Well I'll be the voice of dissent and say "fly" - I live in the ATL and often as not you get stuck in horrible traffic trying to go through or around the city, so your "8-hour drive" may end up being much longer. If you do drive get a Peach Pass so you can use the hotlanes on 75-South. But yes, we've always flown ATL-MCO and it's delightful, there are a ton of flights per day so lots of backup options if your flight gets canceled, delayed, etc.; both airports have lots of food and things for kids to do, and the flight is literally over in a jiffy. We are driving for the first time due to the need to stop at a family reunion on the way home. Mine are almost 11 and almost 8 so they are finally getting to the point where they can be normal in a car. But when mine were three they were HORRIBLE in the car and I totally understand your desire to fly. It really boils down to what's best for your family/what's your preferred way to travel. Oh, and btw, I have gotten some INCREDIBLE deals from ATL-MCO several times - like $59/each way deals - on both Delta and Southwest - so you may want to set up a fare alert with Kayak, Google Flights, etc. before you pull the trigger on points.
I was going to say that I thought that 28000 miles out of Atlanta sounded expensive for February. Something online said Delta Miles are worth about 1.2 cents each. So this is roughly $336 plus fees for ATL-MCO for two people in October?

I'm in the "we have the miles...let's fly!" boat, but I hate driving. We're looking at WDW next summer and driving...with the in-laws. 16 hours...there's not enough wine in the world!

Something else to consider...have you considered renting a car one way, and flying the other way?

Thats a good idea to price out! because I know if I fly back I will have less, because I wont have all my FE group give aways, (although I have what we recieve....
and I would just have to get a one way ride from the port to the disney resort, then take magic express to the airport.

I was going to say that I thought that 28000 miles out of Atlanta sounded expensive for February. Something online said Delta Miles are worth about 1.2 cents each. So this is roughly $336 plus fees for ATL-MCO for two people in October?

Its October not February - and I guess. I never looked at the price for the paying for the tickets.. just the miles. Google does confirm miles are about 2 cents each, with going up to 3 during peaks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter