Trial Run for Dogs in Resort Rooms

Do you think dogs should be allowed in guests' rooms?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, most human parents don't know the childhood diseases and what they are vaccinating for and I always find it mind blowing. And in my years of working with adoptions I'd say no, most owners I interacted with gave them the shots the doctor recommended and had no clue what any of it was about. Not all, but most.
So your saying that pet owners vets don't give the pets proper vaccinations? I know that all of the shots that were previously listed in this thread are required shots. I was responding to the Parvovirus and Flu shots.

If only all pet owners WERE responsible. :(
True and those aren't going to be the ones bringing their dogs with them. If you don't care enough to vaccinate then they most likely don't care enough to take their pets with them.

Gee maybe we should take a poll and see who the worst types of guests are at WDW and on resort property and tell them to vacation elsewhere because they aren't welcomed there? I mean let's see from the comments I've seen in my time on the boards that would include: tour groups, foreigners (to be more specific those that don't speak english), people with ECVs, people with strollers, people who use flash photography or use their phones in dark rides, and the list goes on and on.

Not to mention line jumpers, kids that misbehave and people with kids that misbehave. Kids are often more unsanitary, noisy, and uncontrollable than dogs, but they're allowed to go everywhere!

So we are now well over 1000 replies to the poll in this thread, with 86% still not in favor of this policy, roughly 5 out of 6 of us.

Ok, based on the recent poll linked below, 70% of us (Dis members) have visited 6 times or more in the last 10 years, and 90%+ are those that have been at least 3 times in the last 10 years.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/whats-the-make-up-of-this-group.3631560/

As a whole, we know WDW better than the general public. As a whole, I would also say that we have a general affection to WDW, more than the general public.

I think I can say this with some level of confidence regarding the polling results:
  • I don't see any reason that we would like or dislike dogs more than the general population.
    • I don't see a reason to believe more or less of us have phobias, allergies, or aversion to sleeping in rooms where other family's pets have been.
  • I don't see any reason why dog ownership would be any less than the general population

• In general, we are more informed of WDW resorts than the general public
  • In general, we have a better understanding and background on which to vote in the poll.
  • In general, we are the people who actually GO to WDW.
  • I don't see why our general love of Disney would inherently bias our results against having dogs in the resort. If this was a policy that we liked and would make our vacations better, we would vote that way.
In summary, this is a very unpopular policy for the majority. It is also unnecessary. Will some be happy about this proposed policy? Yes. However, this policy comes at the expense and frustration of the many.

Kindly, Dan

This is a lot of opinion/assumption masquerading as statistical analysis.

Are you taking the mic here? Pop & AS Sports was used as a comparison. POR is NOT my favourite resort. We prefer CBR & we now own DVC. I am advocating for others, an ally.

Your tone seems dismissive to me & I doubt your sincerity in wanting to engage in a meaningful & productive dialogue. It would be a waste of my time to respond to you further.
I acknowledged that people are disappointed and frustrated, how can that be "dismissive" :confused3? You also called someone else out for their "tone".

I wonder what more we have to do, other than agree with you, for you to think that our tones are anything other than "dismissive".

But, at Disney World, how would they accomplish this? Not go to the parks, and just walk around in circles over at the designated dog relief areas then go back to their room and hang out with their dog all day?

Agreeing with this. Because of the nature of a typical WDW vacation, it is not a good vacation spot for owners who want to bring their dogs. Ignoring all the other hullabaloo, I am not sure how anyone could argue with that logic. According to the "rules" at this time dogs are literally only allowed uncrated in rooms and in the bathroom grass. I would have to believe that most good people who happen to be dog owners would not want to subject their dog to this kind of environment.

I really hope this thread doesn't get locked. Although, I don't like this new development at Disney - having experienced relevant problems elsewhere, I am concerned about the idea of having to deal with those things at Disney - it's still nice chatting with you all (well, most of you! ;) #lighthearted) and there is a lot of helpful info coming through.

Also, on a lighter note, what are we going to do about these two smilies... :dog::dog2:? :D:D:D

I hope that we as lovers of WDW can continue to voice our concerns about this issue and not attack each other. I would hate to see this thread get locked. We all have a right to be concerned/upset about this change if we feel that it would affect us and this thread is where we can voice our concerns and also share any info that we receive about the situation to help others understand how Disney is responding.

Agree. Unfortunately there is a internet troll posting quite frequently on the thread. Arguing with everyone.

Whether your for or against this, I hope people realize your vacation is no more special than anyone else's

I think everyone is aware that their vacation isn't any more special that another persons. However, this dog policy has the potential for massive impact on guests that do not have or do not bring pets on vacation. When I leave my resort room during the day it is completely empty and free of anything that might inconvenience another guest. But if the guest next to me leaves their dog, unaccompanied, for 7 hours (as they rightfully can according to Disney's rules) and say we return to our room at 1pm for an afternoon nap, to get changed, etc and the dog next door is barking suddenly my vacation is being impacted. I am the person that has to call the front desk, yet it wasn't my choice to leave the dog or vacation next door to it. Say the guests can't return within the specified 30 minute window to address the dog noise. Now what? The resort has an inconvenienced and angry guest, an upset dog and a family that is MIA. Are there consequences to that family? If they don't return within the 30 minutes are the kicked out of the resort? Are they fined? And how does the resort appease me, the inconvenienced guest? It's not as though they can enter the room and quiet the dog without the owner. So I'm stuck unable to proceed with my vacation as scheduled because of someone's dog. This scenario isn't far fetched or outside the normal realm of possibilities. How do you propose that Disney address these kinds of situations? At that point, my vacation is being adversely affected and the family with the dog is off enjoying their vacation as planned.

She also alluded to the fact that the level of concern people have over this "trial" was really surprising to them. She said both dog owners and non dog owners seemed to happy with dogs in the resorts during IRMA.

Well of course people were happy about it during Irma, it was an emergency situation where people were stranded and had nowhere to safely house their pets. Disney admirably stepped up and allowed it. That doesn't mean people always want pets at the resorts.

There are no statistics other than the poll results, but lots of assumptions and opinions to bolster the relevance of the poll.. There is no masquerading.

Feel free to provide data that would disprove the assumptions.

Dan

Agree. Unfortunately there is a internet troll posting quite frequently on the thread. Arguing with everyone.
Threads tend to get locked faster when someone calls someone else a troll and I know multiple posters have expressed the wishes of keeping the thread open. If you feel someone is a troll you can report them if you want to though the posters I have seen, myself included, have a decent amount of comments on the Boards. Respectfully it's doubtful anyone on this thread is truly a troll in the actual definition. Disagreement does not equal troll.

Things I was told that may be helpful. If you don't want a room that had a dog in it at POR they are only in standard rooms and garden view rooms. They will not be in preferred rooms or Royal Rooms. If you want to be nowhere near dogs you should be able to accomplish this with a preferred room. It seemed unclear if Royal was all that much removed from them. She said that River view rooms won't allow dogs but will be mixed within those rooms that do allow them.
Thank you for relating the CM comments. We arrive at POR in 8 days and I would love a preferred room but unfortunately none are available for our stay. River view rooms would have garden view rooms across the hall, so that is why those rooms wouldn't work.

Of course some of this goes against what others have heard. She said that while it was announced on Friday that they didn't have a list of specifics until Sunday so the CMs should have the accurate info now.
When I spoke with guest services on Saturday they hadn't determined which areas would be the dog friendly areas, although they had assigned standard view and garden view rooms as dog friendly.

I actually wanted to point out that 1000 responses is nowhere near enough statistical responses for the number of people who stay in WDW resorts. There are 25,000 rooms on property, you'd need 2000 responses just to have a statistical response for 1 NIGHT of guests, never mind a full year of guests.

I'm wondering if they will put "No Dogs Allowed" signs between the connecting resorts; AoA and Pop, POR and POFQ, YC/BC/BWI. We are supposed to stay at Pop in December, and it looks like one of the doggie relief areas is right near the bridge. We were looking forward to walking across the bridge and exploring AoA. I actually thought that was a plus of staying at Pop and also having easy access to the Landscape of Flavors. But, with my DD8 having anxiety and animal phobia, we may be precluded from doing this.

We are currently being discussed on the live show.

And it's a very reasonable discussion but then again that's why they're the pros.

Last edited:
I'm all for dogs, my daughter's dog sleeps in bed with her and when she's not home, she'll sleep in bed with us. With that said, I don't want to sleep in a hotel room that a dog slept in. I keep up with our pets and vaccinate and give her flea/tick meds etc. Bad enough I have to worry about bed bugs, coming home with fleas is not an additional worry I need to think or worry about.

If only all pet owners WERE responsible. :(

So, so true. At least a good percentage of this problem would go away if that were the case.

...If you don't care enough to vaccinate then they most likely don't care enough to take their pets with them.

Or they take them anyway (for their own reasons) and impose their lack of care and responsibility on a wider audience. :(

Whether your for or against this, I hope people realize your vacation is no more special than anyone else's

True. ...But there is an imbalance. A bit like smokers can be in a non-smoking environment much more easily than the other way around; the same is true when it comes to vacationing with your dog and the affect on people dealing with allergies, phobias, noise disturbance etc.. One far more negatively impacts and restricts the others experience, compared to the other.

Last edited:
Okay, I got my call after sending an email last night. I won't go through the whole thing but my main complaint is what I've said here before. I don't stay at hotels with dogs for both allergy and phobia reasons and they just left me with one onsite option in our budget and it's under heavy construction and has a limited number of rooms for 5 as it is.

Things I was told that may be helpful. If you don't want a room that had a dog in it at POR they are only in standard rooms and garden view rooms. They will not be in preferred rooms or Royal Rooms. If you want to be nowhere near dogs you should be able to accomplish this with a preferred room. It seemed unclear if Royal was all that much removed from them. She said that River view rooms won't allow dogs but will be mixed within those rooms that do allow them.

At AoA she said only the Cars Suites and Mermaid rooms will allow dogs.

She also told me what the bookings were at Yacht Club and I can't remember exactly which ones but Standard and Garden were allowed I can't remember if there was another. But she did say that that they will NOT be allowed in Club Level rooms.

Of course some of this goes against what others have heard. She said that while it was announced on Friday that they didn't have a list of specifics until Sunday so the CMs should have the accurate info now.

She also said what some people here indicated that she wouldn't expect that many people to bring dogs or to be bringing larger dogs. Just her opinion I think not Disney's necessarily. To which I said that may be the case but I wasn't willing to book for the spring and hope for the best.

She also gave me her contact info if I have further questions and said to contact her if I have difficulty obtaining the room I want for our upcoming trip.

I'm at least really happy they are trying to address the situation. I hope she's right about at least the preferred room. Although I would not normally spend the money on preferred, if it's truly apart from the dog sections, it's at least an option.

I gave them my opinion and I hope others do as well and I'll be following along to see what actually happens in practice.
Sorry but I don't believe will be the case. Have you checked out the dog relief area maps. The relief areas are all over the resorts. AOA has one right by the bridge to POP. No where near little mermaid rooms or Cars. Why? Also POR has four located all over the resort.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter