Trip Report! ABD/DCL Mediterranean Magic Part 1 - IMAGE INTENSIVE!

Just want to chime in with Diskid, the day you get a mac with mobile me (which is awesome to use with your iPad btw) and they( creatives at the fruit store) teach you how to make and upload your website you will be a dangerous woman!:rotfl:

You already do an awesome job, I am just sayin with a mac it changes everything!!

So ready for the next installment!:thumbsup2

Just want to chime in with Diskid, the day you get a mac with mobile me (which is awesome to use with your iPad btw) and they( creatives at the fruit store) teach you how to make and upload your website you will be a dangerous woman!:rotfl:

You already do an awesome job, I am just sayin with a mac it changes everything!!

So ready for the next installment!:thumbsup2
I had considered getting a Mac when I replaced my PC a year & a half ago, but they just didn't have one that fit my needs...

Part 2 is UP!

Sayhello

Excited to read about your trip. I read your southwest splendors & it was awesome. My DH wanted to do the Grand Canyon, Arches for his bday & we were going to do the ABD but decided to steal the abd itinerary & do it on our own. Hope it works!

Excited to read about your trip. I read your southwest splendors & it was awesome. My DH wanted to do the Grand Canyon, Arches for his bday & we were going to do the ABD but decided to steal the abd itinerary & do it on our own. Hope it works!
Thanks, glad you're enjoying the report!

SWS is a great itinerary; it won't be quite the same without the ABD Guides, but I hope you enjoy the American Southwest! It's an amazing place.

Sayhello

Sayhello----

I'm sorry if I missed this in your trip report....but could you give more detail about what the luggage restrictions were? For those of us who will be making this flight (Orlando to BCN booked through DCL) later this summer/fall, we're very interested/concerned about luggage. I know it varies by carrier...but in general...how many pieces of luggage? Fees? Weight limits? And you mentioned that they sometimes weigh carry-ons----any idea what the weight limit for carry ons is?

Sayhello----

I'm sorry if I missed this in your trip report....but could you give more detail about what the luggage restrictions were? For those of us who will be making this flight (Orlando to BCN booked through DCL) later this summer/fall, we're very interested/concerned about luggage. I know it varies by carrier...but in general...how many pieces of luggage? Fees? Weight limits? And you mentioned that they sometimes weigh carry-ons----any idea what the weight limit for carry ons is?
I can only speak for what Iberia's restrictions were, but I think they're pretty similar to what most of the other international carriers were saying. I personally had 2 free checked bags, but that's because I bought my ticket before the rules changed. I'm pretty sure most airlines, it's one free checked bag now (if that). The checked bags are limited to 23kg, which is approximately 50 lbs. There's a fee (on Iberia, it was 60 euro) for anything over 50 lbs. Your carryon, besides the normal size limitation, is supposed to be a max of 10kg, which is around 22 pounds. I like to make sure I have a good selection of clothing, underwear, etc, in my carryon in case my checked bag doesn't make it, so that 22 pounds was iffy. You're also allowed a "personal item" which could be a purse, a laptop bag, a briefcase, etc.

My suitcase came in at just under 50 lbs, so I was OK, and, as I said, American didn't weigh the carryon, so I was OK. Going from BCN to Israel, and then Israel back home, I wasn't so worried about what made it & what didn't, so I checked both my suitcase *and* my carryon, which meant it could then weight 50 lbs, which it easily managed. Anything important/breakable I put in my enormous "personal item". The gal in Barcelona weighed both checked items together, so I'm not sure how well I had the weight distributed. In Israel, they were both under 50 pounds.

Hope that helps. Let me know if there's any other details you needed.

Sayhello

I can only speak for what Iberia's restrictions were, but I think they're pretty similar to what most of the other international carriers were saying. I personally had 2 free checked bags, but that's because I bought my ticket before the rules changed. I'm pretty sure most airlines, it's one free checked bag now (if that). The checked bags are limited to 23kg, which is approximately 50 lbs. There's a fee (on Iberia, it was 60 euro) for anything over 50 lbs. Your carryon, besides the normal size limitation, is supposed to be a max of 10kg, which is around 22 pounds. I like to make sure I have a good selection of clothing, underwear, etc, in my carryon in case my checked bag doesn't make it, so that 22 pounds was iffy. You're also allowed a "personal item" which could be a purse, a laptop bag, a briefcase, etc.

My suitcase came in at just under 50 lbs, so I was OK, and, as I said, American didn't weigh the carryon, so I was OK. Going from BCN to Israel, and then Israel back home, I wasn't so worried about what made it & what didn't, so I checked both my suitcase *and* my carryon, which meant it could then weight 50 lbs, which it easily managed. Anything important/breakable I put in my enormous "personal item". The gal in Barcelona weighed both checked items together, so I'm not sure how well I had the weight distributed. In Israel, they were both under 50 pounds.

Hope that helps. Let me know if there's any other details you needed.

Sayhello

No that is helpful.....we're traveling as a couple and our hope was to be able to take 3 suitcases total at under 50 lb (2 regular rolling bags and a garment bag) and then My laptop bag which is also my carry-on and my partner carrying a backpack----but we are responsible for the DIS lanyards for our trip and we want/need to carry our lanyards in his carry-on so we have to try to make sure they fit and don't weigh too much.

Thanks!!

Tig, when we flew to Italy, we were allowed 1 free check bag on USAir. Of course it had to weigh less than 50lbs. There was no restriction on the carryon. When we flew home from Venice, they put my bag and my wife's bag on together. I know my bag was really close to 50lbs, but they never said anything. I don't know if they weigh each parties bags together to see if they average under 50lbs (that would be nice). Either way, we didn't encounter any fees and our carry-ons never got weighed.

Tig, when we flew to Italy, we were allowed 1 free check bag on USAir. Of course it had to weigh less than 50lbs. There was no restriction on the carryon. When we flew home from Venice, they put my bag and my wife's bag on together. I know my bag was really close to 50lbs, but they never said anything. I don't know if they weigh each parties bags together to see if they average under 50lbs (that would be nice). Either way, we didn't encounter any fees and our carry-ons never got weighed.

OK...thanks...that's helpful, too. We're relatively light packers and we're plannign on doing laundry (YUCK)----there' just no feasible way to pack 30 days worth of clothes (that's how long our entire trip is from the time we leave our house until the time we return home)...so we are thinking to pack enough for 8 to 10 days and do laundry at least 2x during the trip and just recycle clothes! :thumbsup2

Thanks, glad you're enjoying the report!

SWS is a great itinerary; it won't be quite the same without the ABD Guides, but I hope you enjoy the American Southwest! It's an amazing place.

Sayhello

I know we will miss the guides & the ABD special touches-we did the Backstage Magic so we know how special they can be. It was just a cost issue basically & wanting more freedom & time on our own.

No that is helpful.....we're traveling as a couple and our hope was to be able to take 3 suitcases total at under 50 lb (2 regular rolling bags and a garment bag) and then My laptop bag which is also my carry-on and my partner carrying a backpack----but we are responsible for the DIS lanyards for our trip and we want/need to carry our lanyards in his carry-on so we have to try to make sure they fit and don't weigh too much.

Thanks!!
Well, at least you know you'll have extra space/weight for souvenirs on the way home!!!!

OK...thanks...that's helpful, too. We're relatively light packers and we're plannign on doing laundry (YUCK)----there' just no feasible way to pack 30 days worth of clothes (that's how long our entire trip is from the time we leave our house until the time we return home)...so we are thinking to pack enough for 8 to 10 days and do laundry at least 2x during the trip and just recycle clothes! :thumbsup2
30 days?!??! OMG, I was gone 18 days, and that was hard enough to pack for! I'd say laundry is an inevitability. Do you even *own* 30 days' worth of underwear?

Sayhello

Well, at least you know you'll have extra space/weight for souvenirs on the way home!!!!

30 days?!??! OMG, I was gone 18 days, and that was hard enough to pack for! I'd say laundry is an inevitability. Do you even *own* 30 days' worth of underwear?

Sayhello

Is it awful if I said...no, but very very close! LOL I think I have more underwear than I do pairs of shorts and jeans that I could wear! LOL

Sayhello - I am really enjoying your trip report - I've been busy and off the boards for a little while - can't believe I didn't see it sooner! Off to read the next parts - thanks!

:goodvibes

Sayhello - I am really enjoying your trip report - I've been busy and off the boards for a little while - can't believe I didn't see it sooner! Off to read the next parts - thanks!

:goodvibes
Glad you're enjoying! I'm *hoping* to have Part 4 up soon!

Sayhello

Thanks! Glad you liked the report.

I took the bad memory card to Best Buy, and they said there was nothing they could do, but they could send it out to another place that could definitely recover them for a LOT of $$$$. Alternately, he suggested that I go to SanDisk's website, where they had a link to some recovery software they recommend, RescuePro by LC Technologies. The software was able to recognize the card as a drive, and found 98% of the stuff that was on the card (including hundreds of pictures I'd previously deleted, but, oh well, the ones I wanted were in there with the rest.) I first ran the Demo version, to make sure it could actually find the pictures, but the Demo version doesn't allow you to save what it finds. Since it found them, I went ahead & spent the $40 to buy the software, and recovered almost all of my pictures. One quirk I found is that it retrieved video as multiple snapshots, so it looked like there were a TON more pictures that I'd really taken.

If you need any help with the software, let me know. But LC Technologies' technical help were really responsive.

Sayhello

Oh brill will look it up and fingers and toes crossed will manage to finally save the pics.. I put my camera card in one of the machines in our local chemist one day to put the pics on disk and their machine went down while my card was in it haven't been able to get anything off it since so lost the pics of my nephews 5th birthday and was so disappointed *** had lovely ones of him and his friends opening presents and stuff so hopefully will manage to get the pics back now.

Oh brill will look it up and fingers and toes crossed will manage to finally save the pics.. I put my camera card in one of the machines in our local chemist one day to put the pics on disk and their machine went down while my card was in it haven't been able to get anything off it since so lost the pics of my nephews 5th birthday and was so disappointed *** had lovely ones of him and his friends opening presents and stuff so hopefully will manage to get the pics back now.
RescuePro worked quite wonderfully! Best of luck to you, I hope it can recover your pictures, too!

Sayhello

I just found your TR and am excited to read along! DH and I are hoping to go next May, so this is getting us really excited!

RescuePro worked quite wonderfully! Best of luck to you, I hope it can recover your pictures, too!

Sayhello

Rescuepro wouldn't work because it was for scandisk mine was fujifilm.. I dunno I left it into a camera shop with recovery software today and they're going to ring me tomorrow about it so fingers, toes and everything else crossed that they'll managed to get the pics off it at least.

I just found your TR and am excited to read along! DH and I are hoping to go next May, so this is getting us really excited!
I hope you enjoy the Trip Report! It was quite the trip, and I'm sure you'll love it! Are you planning on doing the ABD add-on also?

Sayhello

Rescuepro wouldn't work because it was for scandisk mine was fujifilm.. I dunno I left it into a camera shop with recovery software today and they're going to ring me tomorrow about it so fingers, toes and everything else crossed that they'll managed to get the pics off it at least.
Oh, that is true, it's written for SanDisk. I don't know if the people who wrote the softeware, LC Technologies, have a fujifilm version. If the camera shop can't manage it, you might contact LC Technologies, and see what they say. Best of luck to you!

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter