Trip Report! ABD/DCL Mediterranean Magic Part 1 - IMAGE INTENSIVE!

that is totally what I want to do next year if I get to do the Med. cruise. Did you arrange that yourself or through Disney? Just curious. I was reading your report today and I noticed that detail. I was talking with my mother over the weekend about wanting to do exactly that (Israel). Interested in any details you want to share. thanks, Gail:3dglasses

We also went to Israel this year, as a part of a group from our temple, and we had a tour designed and led by Arza. Happy to answer any questions you might have. It was a fabulous trip, although very heavy on educational/lectures. Some of the highlights (outside of Jerusalem, which pretty much speaks for itself) were visiting Masada and floating in the Dead Sea, as well as Rosh Hanikra and Cesarea on the Med coast.

Anything in particular you'd like to hear about? Are you going on your own, or with a group? Visiting friends? Aiming for particular cities/sights? With kids? We stayed in Jerusalem, in a kibbutz in the Galilee, and in Haifa, but visited many other places as well - the country is very small, and easy to get around (at least it was easy distance-wise; I imagine if you were doing it yourself, instead of just riding along in a tour bus, it would be more complicated).

that is totally what I want to do next year if I get to do the Med. cruise. Did you arrange that yourself or through Disney? Just curious. I was reading your report today and I noticed that detail. I was talking with my mother over the weekend about wanting to do exactly that (Israel). Interested in any details you want to share. thanks, Gail:3dglasses
I arranged the trip to Israel myself. I mostly went to visit my sister and her family. I visited her there years ago, and on that trip I did all the touristy stuff, Hevron, the Dead Sea, Masada, etc. This time I just went to visit her, and we went into Jerusalem a couple of times. It was a short visit, and, again, not really meant to be a sight-seeing trip (although we did go to the Old City at night, which is FABULOUS, and amazingly cool.) I highly recommend the Holocaust museum. Very moving! I'll report more on what I did when I get to that part of the report...

Disney, to my knowledge, had nothing in regards to Israel. They really aren't into arranging side trips. I did my own airfare (Iberia. The only decent airline that had reasonable flights from the US to Spain to Israel then back to the US.) I stayed in private homes, so I can't help you with 'where to stay' kinds of details.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Sayhello

Thank you Glassslipper and SayHello for your replies. What I wanted to do, is if I get the chance to do the Mediterranean cruise next summer, continue on from Barcelona to Israel and do a guided tour. This would be my first trip to Israel. I will be travelling with my mother (it's kind of my dream to see Europe and Israel with my mother before I lose her), although my mother has travelled to both Europe and Israel. I'm not surprised to hear Disney does not have anything to do with the add on, but it nice to hear it can be done. I will keep doing my research and as questions come up I'm sure I will be asking both of you. Good tip on the airline already!!! Thanks, Gail

I hope you enjoy the Trip Report! It was quite the trip, and I'm sure you'll love it! Are you planning on doing the ABD add-on also?

Sayhello

No, we probably will not do the add on. We will probably just do a combo of Disney and our own excursions on the cruise, and than head back later for another trip (back pack style) to explore more!

I'm looking forward to hearing/seeing more!

Question for you on Barcelona. Would you have felt safe going to the Magic Fountains on your own and heading back to your hotel?

I will be on my own in Barcelona and would really like to see the Magic Fountains as we missed it last summer, but not sure what the subway is like at night.

Question for you on Barcelona. Would you have felt safe going to the Magic Fountains on your own and heading back to your hotel?

I will be on my own in Barcelona and would really like to see the Magic Fountains as we missed it last summer, but not sure what the subway is like at night.
Boy, that's a really hard call. I'd say it really depends on your comfort level. The Barcelona subway was really clean & brightly lit. There were a *lot* of people traveling on the Subway after the Magic Fountains. I was *going* to walk back to my hotel from the Subway station, but, in retrospect, was really glad that the Spencers offered to walk me there. It *was* pretty late by that point. So I'd think you'd want to take a taxi unless you are staying REALLY close to a Subway station.

If you're used to traveling on a Subway at night by yourself, and have a purse that is pretty pick-pocket proof, I'd say you'd probably be OK. I didn't really pay that much attention to that aspect, because I knew I was not going alone.

Hope my vagueness helps. :confused3

Sayhello

Just read your report and WOW! This might sound a little silly, but your hotel in Barcelona stood out the most to me. Just gorgeous!~

Just read your report and WOW! This might sound a little silly, but your hotel in Barcelona stood out the most to me. Just gorgeous!~
Thanks, SoScary'09! I'm glad you liked my report! :goodvibes And I agree with you. The hotel in Barcelona was gorgeous. I was *extremely* lucky to have gotten such a great deal on such a great hotel. I'd stay there again in a heartbeat!

Sayhello

Sayhello, did you get the chance to go visit Sagrada Familia or the Montserrat? I'm looking at Viator website but not sure which one to go for.

Sayhello, did you get the chance to go visit Sagrada Familia or the Montserrat? I'm looking at Viator website but not sure which one to go for.
I went past La Sagrada Familia, but didn't go in, and did not make it to Montserrat. La Sagrada Familia looked really cool! I wish I'd allowed more time for Barcelona, as what I saw was really amazing! I definitely need to go back!

Sayhello

Last edited:
I personally would say Sagrada Familia, but Montserrat is neat and worth doing if you have the time. Are you already visiting Casa Battlo? That's one of my favorite places in Barcelona.

I personally would say Sagrada Familia, but Montserrat is neat and worth doing if you have the time. Are you already visiting Casa Battlo? That's one of my favorite places in Barcelona.

Hi Cousin Orville! Thanks for the suggestion, we're hoping to spend 2-3 days in Barcelona on our own before the cruise. Did you explore on your own or go with a tour guide?

Hi Cousin Orville! Thanks for the suggestion, we're hoping to spend 2-3 days in Barcelona on our own before the cruise. Did you explore on your own or go with a tour guide?

Sagrada Familia? On our own. If you want to do it, go online to the official Sagrada Familia website to buy the family tickets or whatever is appropriate. That way you can skip the very long line to go directly inside.

Sagrada Familia? On our own. If you want to do it, go online to the official Sagrada Familia website to buy the family tickets or whatever is appropriate. That way you can skip the very long line to go directly inside.

Thanks Cousin Orville!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter