TV on the Magic: Terrible.

RDT

Earning My Ears
This is a long post.

We had something very close to a perfect cruise on the Western Oct 12 through 19. Even with the diversion from Grand Cayman, it was absolutely wonderful, and we loved every minute of it.

There was one complaint: the in-room TV channels.

There are two movie channels, that are just plain bad—a limited selection of Disney family stuff on one channel, and airline versions of other movies on the other. Those we ignored, and that’s not what this is about.

I was extremely disappointed and frustrated with the fact that for most of the week we were unable to get either Headline News or regular CNN (the US based CNN Coverage). Instead we got CNNfn—Financial, which is totally useless on a cruise, and mostly a recorded reshowing anyway; and CNN-International, the Euro-based news feed that one gets in many overseas hotels.

At a time when a sniper was shooting up our neighborhood (literally) back home we were treated to reruns of the stock market returns, and updates on unrest in Zimbabwe (a real story I saw on CNN-International). There was simply no reliable source for American news.

I called guest services and asked why we weren’t getting Headline news and CNN as announced in the Navigator and was told it was because we were out of reach of the satellite. That seemed plausible. But when we got to Castaway Cay, and I knew we should be getting it (because it had been available on both of the previous cruises), I was finally told that the satellites had been re-aimed to get sporting events. I assume that means the Baseball playoffs, but by this was after the playoffs were over. I asked why the channels couldn’t be reinstated, and they said it was just impossible.

A colleague of mine also called during the cruise about the same problem and was told yet another story—that the satellite’s dishes were being serviced. Yeah, right.

None of these excuses (and lies, because that is what they were) were announced in the Navigator. The onboard cruise staff couldn’t figure out what to do, and the entertainment director and staff didn’t seem to care to change it.

We managed to get all six of the Disney promotional channels ALL THE TIME, as well as Discovery and ESPN the whole week, without any difficulties. It was only the news-hounds who were inconvenienced.

I gladly gave up my cel phone, Palm, laptop, and high speed internet access for the week to be with my family. All I wanted was to check the weather and headlines on a regular basis, something that was promised in the sales presentation, announced in the schedule and Navigator, and not delivered because someone decided that the Euro news was enough.

I was offended by their cavalier attitude of the staff towards the whole thing, and angry that they both lied about what the real reason was for the unannounced changes, and then did nothing to correct it once that reason (the playoffs, assumably) had passed.

I hope future cruises are better on this score. But for our most recent cruise, in the area of TV offerings, the mighty Disney media machine was a total failure.

Sorry to hear you were so upset with the TV news coverage. I agree with something important going on like the sniper attacks in Maryland/Virginia that news should be available. But on the other hand, I am one of those people who while on vacation does not need to know what is going on unless it is something terribly important. That's just me. On our 6 DCL cruises I never missed not be able to watch the news as we really watched very little TV at all onboard.

Again, sorry to hear you were so upset. Maybe write a letter to Disney shoreside and let them know you did not appreciate the attitude of the staff. I have heard that the satellite positioning does have alot to do with you can and can't get onboard.

MJ

Hi RDT. We were on the same cruise with you last week. We had a great time!

I didn't care too much that we weren't receiving a good news channel, but I also realized at one point that we were being lied to, which ticks me off to no end. As one CM put it to me, they generate better revenues by aiming the satelites to receive sporting events, which gets people into ESPN and the other bars, and they spend money. Also, ESPN is part of the Disney/ABC family, so go figure huh? But Disney, don't tell me it's because you CAN'T get CNN. It's that you don't WANT to show us CNN... I hate when they lie like that, but I still don't expect to see CNN or FOX on board anytime soon.

We just let the kids pop a movie into the VCR most of the time anyway!

'Beano':cool:

RDT, I understand your frustration...being here in Baltimore (actually Howard County) I've been glued to the tv. I wouldn't go visit my customers in Montgomery County out of pure selfish fear...but if I'm on a family vacation I would not want my DD watching the snipper coverage. It's been hard enough explaining why they can't play outside.
If I remember reading another thead I believe they now have TV's in the common areas...what a shock it would be to have a child stumble upon the news of the snipper being near their home. The last one was 2 blocks from my Boss's house and that was enough to scare me to pieces....I'm so excited they're getting ready for Chief Moose's press conference-yeah they got the bad guys!!!!
I hope outside of the tv issue you and your family had a wonderful cruising experience.

We had a great time--TV problems notwithstanding.
I expressed my frustration so that future cruisers will have the background they need to confront this practice if they find it again.

I don't find checking the news in the morning and evening too disruptive to my holiday--the first cruise we were on was over the Bush/Gore election, and we were quite happy to not be bombarded with data. But I did want to be able to know what was going on.

TV's in the common areas can be tuned to any channel available, and would not likely be tuned to CNN. The problem was that NO ONE could tune it in on ANY channel--common or otherwise.

I'm with you, BeanOC--I don't appreciate being lied to, and I certainly don't appreciate the arbitrary change happening with no explanation:there was not a word about it on the TV schedule or in the daily Navigator. Frankly, if it had been explained it would have made a big difference.

I actually work in media, and have quite a bit of experience with international satellite broadcasting. (My colleague who called in and complained and who was given yet another story is also a video producer.) The bottom line was that Disney made a decision, didn't explain it, and didn't seem to have people on board who knew enough about the technology to respond to our questions or requests to change it back.

The sniper situation made this frustration very personal, since we knew we would be returning to the heart of the problem (we live within 5 miles of 6 of the shootings in Montgomery County), and we wanted as much information as we could get to make decisions about our journey home, etc.

Disney dropped the ball big time, in my opinion.
But that hasn't changed my mind about the value of the cruise, and we already signed our group up for the Eastern 7 day next year.

(And yes, we are SO glad that the situation seems to be resolved. We all owe law enforcement across our nation a very big Thank You for what they were able to do to end this terrible situation.)

RDT,
Have you thought about writing a letter to the folks at DCL? You express yourelf quite well and I'm sure they would appreciate the feedback - especially since you weren't the only one who was upset with the situation. In light of the snipper story completely monopolizing the media in your absence you did have reason to be upset...did you use the cybercafe to get updates?! Welcome back to what is hopefully a calmer and more peaceful Maryland! :cool:

Yes, there are TV's in the bar and other common areas. I remember this because we happened to be on the cruise over 9/11, and even though we had the children on the verandah when we were back in the stateroom and watching the news(hoping to keep them innocent from the cruelty of the world for just a little while longer), as soon as we left the room the news was showing everywhere there was a TV.

The feed was the British CNN, if I recall correctly. I too am a news junkie, but I personally prefer the European feed, so it did not bother me. However, if there was something going on here where I live that was important and I was unable to get information about it, I suppose I would be somewhat upset, also.

Honestly, we were thrilled to even have a TV that worked! On a Carnival cruise that we took 8 years ago, the only channel that was on the TV was the "commercials for Carnival Cruise Lines" channel!:D

Wait... they have TV on board? Is that what that funny box with a screen sitting in that cabinet was? I never turned it on...

In all seriousness though, I am sure it was frustrating if you are news hound, especially with news about your home town, but maybe they just didn't think a minor change in the TV lineup was a reason to reprint thousands of navigators... especially if they didn't have an estimate for how long it would be out. I mean, if Disney Dreams gets canceled... I am sure they would reprint the NAVs... but tech difficulties with the cable? THey probably figure they can just explain via guest services to those who are really upset about it. I doubt they intentially lied to you, just were trying to find the best way to say it, without getting people mad... and when different people are putting a different positive spin on something, occasionally the message sounds different..

As long as two channels work I'm a happy camper:

1) View from the bridge(absolutely necessary! :jester: )
2) Report from the bridge/pool temps

The rest? I'm on vacation.

I never turned on the TV once either....in fact I had forgotten that they even had them in the rooms on the cruise!! I was much to busy to watch TV and I certainly didn't want to ruin my pleasant cruise with "outside" news!

We had regular CNN on our cruise 9/28. That said, I avoided it as much as possible. On vacation, I just don't want to know about the bad stuff going on in the world. Nothing I can do about it on my trip, and for me part of the magic of being at Disney is avoiding news, newspapers, any contact with home,etc. And I am a major news addict--- CNN, FoxNews, Drudgereport, have to read the whole paper (and a couple of them) every day or else I go into withdrawal. Vacation is the exception.

On our trip, though, I began to wonder what happened on the ship during 9.11.01? Did the crew make an announcement to the whole ship? Was there one of the letters from the captain? Did they have the coverage on in the common areas? How did that all work? I wondered particularly as it is such an international crew.

RDT,
Initially, after reading all the posts, I wasn't going to say anything. As I thought about it, I decided I did want to add my "2 cents!" I live in Silver Spring, Maryland and reside 1/2 mile from the first murder (2 miles from the rest in Montgomery County).

I am also thrilled that they have caught the snipers and we can try to resume our normal lives.

Having said that, I want to defend your frustration to the other posters. There was a representation for CNN, and that representation was misleading. Straight answers weren't given. You chose to keep up with this horror that was happening back home; if others don't choose to hear all the "bad stuff" they don't need to turn it on. Everyone is entitled to their opinion on what to do on their vacation.

It is hard for someone who does not live in this area to understand the shear and utter bone-chilling fear we went through for three weeks just filling up our gas tanks! Not to mention putting our children on the school bus, hoping we would see them alive at the end of the day. Stopping for milk and bread took on a new meaning - the looks on people's faces as they briskly walked from their car into the store was undescribable...I am not trying to blow this out of proportion, but I am just trying to get others to understand, even slightly, why this was so important to you. The majority of us that were scared, became physically and mentally drained from keeping our true thoughts from our children. It sounds trivial to some, but it is stark reality for those of us living it.

I don't blame you for being upset. I think Disney should just give us the courtesy of telling us the truth when it comes to things like this. That is all we ask-just be honest (and consistently so).

Again, we are grateful for our law enforcement for coming through for us and helping us feel safe once again! I cannot express my thanks enough.

By the way, I am not flaming anyone who has, and will, post here. I live by the belief that we are all entitled to free speech and thought.....just thought I would share a few of mine.

Thanks...sorry if this was too serious.

I am focusing on my Dec 14, 2002 Eastern and we are all excited and looking forward to it (and hopefully not have anything so serious that I need to watch CNN!).:rolleyes:

The view from the bridge was not functional most of the time on the Oct 12 cruise, and when the camera was turned on it was poorly focused. Unlike the camera on the Wonder which showed the sports deck during the evening, the Magic's "bridge" camera was just a blur after dark.

I too enjoy the "Report from the Bridge." I felt it was being a little less rigorously managed during the trip, and was disappointed to turn it on when I got up to go for my morning walk on Deck Four on Friday, and noticed that the ship was still moving pretty quickly, but the Bridge report was that we had docked and were going 0 knots. So much for accuracy from the bridge.

So, if those are the only channels you want to watch I hope you are not too disappointed.

The situation in Washington was extremely stressful for our kids, and we pulled them out of school on Monday before the cruise and drove to Florida ahead of our scheduled departure (cancelling our airline tickets) to get them into a less stressful environment. As adolescents, they were curious about what was going on back at home, what was happening to their friends, were the schools open, etc. We actually wanted the data to help decide together when we would drive back, and if we should extend our stay. The CNN international feed provided enough information to satisfy their questions, but the TV had to be on for a lot more minutes for us to get that info. That's what I found frustrating.
(We drove home on Saturday afternoon and Sunday, narrowly avoiding the tragic shooting in Virginia on Saturday night.)

We don't do the internet on board--that's way too much like everyday life back on shore; I'm surprized that so many who post here don't watch the TV but do use the onboard internet.

Regardless, like most everyone else, the TV isn't on much in our stateroom. But in the same way that I would be frustrated if we didn't have accurate information in the Navigator, I was frustrated that our info needs were treated so lightly by the Disney staff, particularly when I asked for clarification and didn't get a straight answer from them until the very last day.

Enough said on this topic (at least from me). I really don't want to get hung up on this point.

As I said in my initial post, and want to emphasize: we had a great cruise--nearly perfect, but marred by this one small detail that I hope will not concern future cruisers.

Originally posted by jellymoon
FoxNews, Drudgereport,

Now that is something that annoys me! I wish they got Fox News....I have a deep attachment to Shephard Smith and Bret Hume and I swear I go into withdrawl after a few days of not seeing them. :)

Oddly enough, Katie gets it from me! I swear she used to kick me more during Bret Hume's show, and then after she was born, if she happens to be around when the show is on she will stop and stare at the TV when Bret is talking. :) How Odd. :)

Kathy

I did not mean to belittle how significant this news was for anyone, particularly those from the Beltway area. It of course makes sense that you would want to be updated on what was going on. I also agree that the Navigator should be accurate, and that CMs should never lie

My point was just that I find it refreshing to be away from the news--- particularly because I AM A news addict. I think also because I'm an elected official, at home the news becomes life (especially in election season). So, being away from it is such a complete respite. I would feel differently if my community was facing the tragedy yours is currently facing. It makes complete sense that that information needed to be available to you. Particularly with an additional day at sea on your itenerary due to the weather, it makes it that much harder to access needed information.

I think that was what led to my musings on board regarding 9.11 . How did they handle that? That news was essential, surely they made the coverage available?

All that said, in the exception of extraordinary circumstances (such as the sniper or 9.11 or other similar things) I can understand why it would be the priority of the cruise line to have sporting channels (leisure) rather than news (work for most). But, even if that is true the Navigators should be accurate, the advertising prior should be truthful, and cast members should NEVER lie to customers.

Finally, to those of you in the Beltway area, I am so sorry for what you have just gone through. I can't imagine the terror you have experienced and the strain it has caused to your community. This tragedy was senseless and incomprehensible. I am very sorry if I seemed to belittle that before-- I just can't even begin to imagine having walked in your shoes these past weeks.

Jellymoon

Originally posted by shmoogrrrl
Now that is something that annoys me! I wish they got Fox News....I have a deep attachment to Shephard Smith and Bret Hume and I swear I go into withdrawl after a few days of not seeing them. :)

Oddly enough, Katie gets it from me! I swear she used to kick me more during Bret Hume's show, and then after she was born, if she happens to be around when the show is on she will stop and stare at the TV when Bret is talking. :) How Odd. :)

Kathy

LOL! Do children come wired for current events? The big joke around here is that DH and I are died in the wool Democrats (but have many Republicans we love dearly!!!) Our oldest child has a disability, and didn't really speak until he was four. The sole exception was the '92 election--- in which he repeatedly said: "Dole" Whenever Dole would come on the television, he would clap like crazy. He sat and watched the whole Republican National Convention and clapped. Blew raspberries at the DNC.

In 2000, he was in kindergarten. He complained about our Gore signs. Pointed out all the Bush signs on the way to school each day. Spent many an hour chanting: "Bush! Bush! Bush!" Once again, he cheered the Republicans and jeered at the Dems. Too many times for a coincidence!!! Guess that makes him the "red" sheep in the family. LOL!!!!! DH's parents are also democrats--- my parents far right conservative Republicans. They insist it is their superior genes which ahve been expressed in our dear son. :jester:

What a wonderful feeling this morning to walk my DD to beforecare at school with out looking over my shoulder, stopping to say hello to the officer on duty(DH used to be an officer-so we know most of them) and the biggest joy....just being able to open the door to the school!!! No more lockdown!! The kids can go out and play ....we can go to soccer, trick or treat etc..... now if only I could get rid of this cold

I'm glad you were all able to vent and opinions were respected!
Enjoy the return of freedom!

Thanks for the opportunity to vent yesterday! It was almost theraputic! I apoligize if it got a little "heavy." Today is incredibly lighter and I feel like we have our freedom back!

Time to concentrate back on the cruise! YEAH! :Pinkbounc :bounce:

What is displayed on the bridge channel? Do they have a channel that shows the days events?

I enjoyed the fact that they taped and then later on a regular basis showed the various port talks, jewlery talks etc...so you don't have to miss a really fun event to attend. It's wonderful to be able to catch it on tv at a more convient time (ie-while getting dressed,getting ready for bed etc...)
:bounce: I wanna cruise with MICKEY....again....now!!! :bounce:

ps-Tigger-I'm loving your posts...we've been on a lot of the same threads! :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter