Underwhelmed with Poly

We have stayed at BWV and love it! The villas have been redone and are beautiful, you won't be disappointed. The location is great. Have a great time!

Unless they've redone it by getting rid of that nightmare inducing clown pool...

I have 3 nights booked at the Poly for December. It is the only Disney Deluxe (/DVC) that I haven't stayed at before. I remember the days of AP rates of $160 or so at all of the Epcot resorts, got $125 a night at the Contemporary garden wings once, and stayed at the GF on my honeymoon, have stayed at VWL and regular WL for low $100's a night... But have never stayed at the Poly and now there is no way I'd stay there without DVC (prices too high now). I love the vibe... it is classic disney/tiki/kitschy in a very walt way. I am so excited beyond belief about my stay.

I think MB issues happen at all resorts. I'm sorry you had obnoxious neighbors but I'd call the front desk and see if they could let them know they are projecting... most people don't realize that. None of that is the fault of the resort. I agree with prioritizing a true emergency over someone's MB not working. Still excited beyond belief to stay there. :)

We toured the new bungalows and the studios while we were at the VGF. I really liked both. Now, we didn't stay so I don't know about the noise level and all but I liked the design of both the studio and the bungalow. Was disappointed to see they didn't make the floor glass work so you could see in the water. Missed the memo that that had been scrapped, but the personalized pool is a nice touch. I think we will stay in the studio at one point just for a couple days to experience the resort.

We stayed for 5 nights with our Grandson back in February and loved the resort and rooms. We love that there were 2 bathrooms and showers in the rooms. The rain shower was great. Our room for very clean and I did look to make sure. We are going to try and get it again for next February at our 7 month window.

Just got back from a stay in the studios. Loved it! They could do something about the crazy sharp corners of the bed. Both DS and Dh got some nasty bruises, and the edge of the little nightstand is no joy either. But the new pool, fireworks from the resort and the shortest walk ever to the ttc are so great. Also the shower was nice, DS loved the pull down bed, LOVED eating Ohana in our room.

I do think the resort could ease off pineapple a bit. My chicken sandwich was way too sweet. Next time, I'll ask for it plain. Had a chicken wrap at the oasis grill, a little bland but fresh and still good. Nothing I didn't like was a big deal, and everything I liked made my trip so much nicer. Leaving mk... Should I take the monorail, launch or ferry?

We stayed in a studio last week - 5 nights lake view and the last night standard.

Have a mix of feelings....

....the 60's decor was a bit odd (and maybe slightly depressing). DH thought the lift was just like his old office lift - I get the theming but perhaps it could have been updated / given a more deluxe feel

....we were on the 2nd floor and the lake view was superb - over the bora bora bungalows, the water and on to magic kingdom with the castle and fireworks

....the standard view was a disappointment after this...just the car park and wouldn't really have been happy with the points price for it

....I think there is a design fault with the balconies...lovely size and very comfortable furniture but when you sit down there is a top board across the balcony rail about 12 inches deep and it's directly at eye level so you can't actually see above or below it which is really frustrating

....the six days we were there we never saw anyone staying in the bungalows....perhaps this reflects the high points and cash price being charged and Disney might have to rethink the rental rates

.......we did find the boat horns to be a bit of an issue....not particularly late in the evening but in the early morning...we're not early risers so 7am is too early for us.....I think 8am would be more acceptable.

Overall we did have a very pleasant stay ( the oasis pool is lovely)......would we stay again...possibly not but glad we tried it once.

How often do the horns blow in the morning and night? Every 10min? 30? We are considering staying just to experience the resort and pool for a couple days but are not morning people on vacation

We're staying at the Poly on points for 2 nights in Oct in a studio at the beginning of our trip. It'll be our first stay at the Poly. Our home resort is BLT and we love it. I dont think I'd buy at the Poly for lack of one bedroom units. I had the first 2 nights books at OKW and really debated keeping it and not waitlisting the poly just to save points but we decide to go for it and our waitlist cleared in 2 days. We're finishing up our trip in a 1 bedroom at BLT. We've stayed at BLT, AKV, BCV, BWV and VWL. We like BWV for the location but found the decor a little drab at the time, same with BCV but didn't I see they are doing/have done at least a dry good refurb on both of them? We're excited to try out the Poly. We've spent a lot of time there when we've stayed at SoG and would walk back and forth to the Monorail.

We stayed in a studio last week - 5 nights lake view and the last night standard.

Have a mix of feelings....

....the 60's decor was a bit odd (and maybe slightly depressing). DH thought the lift was just like his old office lift - I get the theming but perhaps it could have been updated / given a more deluxe feel

....we were on the 2nd floor and the lake view was superb - over the bora bora bungalows, the water and on to magic kingdom with the castle and fireworks

....the standard view was a disappointment after this...just the car park and wouldn't really have been happy with the points price for it

....I think there is a design fault with the balconies...lovely size and very comfortable furniture but when you sit down there is a top board across the balcony rail about 12 inches deep and it's directly at eye level so you can't actually see above or below it which is really frustrating

....the six days we were there we never saw anyone staying in the bungalows....perhaps this reflects the high points and cash price being charged and Disney might have to rethink the rental rates

.......we did find the boat horns to be a bit of an issue....not particularly late in the evening but in the early morning...we're not early risers so 7am is too early for us.....I think 8am would be more acceptable.

Overall we did have a very pleasant stay ( the oasis pool is lovely)......would we stay again...possibly not but glad we tried it once.
Can't wait to return this May and see the Oasis pool.:cheer2: Agree with your comment about the bungalows. When we were at Poly in October, bungalows were DEAD! :eek:Would be nice to see point charts decreased and cash price as well. ::yes::

How often do the horns blow in the morning and night? Every 10min? 30? We are considering staying just to experience the resort and pool for a couple days but are not morning people on vacation
For our October trip, I was extremely concerned as I am a light sleeper, so decided to request Tokeleau rather than Moorea based upon reading comments about ferry boat noise. Happy to report that I was not bothered at all by any ferry boat noise in Tokealeau, perhaps the lakeview side of Moorea hears the ferry noise the most. CAN'T wait to return this May and will be requesting Tokeleau again.:banana: ENJOY if you book!:goodvibes

I didn't time them so couldn't say definitely but possibly every 10 to 15 minutes. I'm a fairly heavy sleeper but they did wake me - it would be much more civilised if they started at 8 am

Can we please stop the "it's too dark" comments? Fine, go to Boardwalk or Beach Club, everyone complaining about too dark has ruined WLV and it looks like AKV too, please don't mess with Poly, I LOVE the color scheme! Sorry folks just a long time pet peeve of mine. I guess watching all the HGTV shows and the love for white kitchens (what?!) should bring that point home to me. I own 50 points at POLY enough to stay in a standard studio 7-8 nights every 3 years. We stayed there 8 nights in January, with four adults. Yes it was a bit cramped, but we had fun! (it was for marathon weekend and three of us were doing Dopey). I also LOVED the location, so easy and quick to walk to the TTC and monorail to EPCOT and MK. We had a standard view and though we were right next to the ferry's, (two doors down), never heard them. I can get that being a problem with lagoon view though.

I really don't get the design for the two bathrooms, and completely agree it was a waste of space, I would love to see a washer and dryer in each room. I also agree with the PP who stated it would be better to have two toilets as opposed to two showers.

Overall, I wasn't impressed at all with customer service at Polynesian either.

Jennifer

We stayed at Poly last summer for 2 weeks in a regular room, not DVC. But we never heard our neighbours. Didn't have any problems.
I think with the new studios, a lot of the bedroom space is taken up with the addition of 2nd bathroom. The regular rooms with 2 queens have more living space.

I agree -- the non-DVC rooms at the Poly are more roomy, sleep five, and have more comfortable bedding for a large family. I love the them at the Poly, and I love being waling distance to both the MK and the Epcot monorails. We would stay again if we could get a good room price.

Can we please stop the "it's too dark" comments?

Nope - it's time to ruin all the resorts that used dark colors in their theme. :headache:

And yes, it was a pet peeve of mine over VWL and AKV too. With all the FL sun I actually like something not quite so bright. :confused3

Just returned home from a 6 night stay in Moorea lake view room 3020. I love the resort and the room but I often wonder how the rooms get so damaged so quickly. The middle drawer in the first bathroom does not open. When you pull it hard it comes right out of the cabinet, along with the ball bearings. It looks like its been that way for a while. Towel bar is barely hanging onto the wall and more than likely will come right off the wall soon. Light bulb above the sink was out. Bad staining of the pullout couch cushions. Glass shower door handle wiggles like crazy, almost feels like it may come off. And the Tiki man lamp had his hand broken off. The curtains at the sliding glass door need some kind of tie back. When you try to close the sliding glass doors the curtains ALWAYS get stuck in the door. None of these issues caused my stay to be terrible but I just can't understand how the rooms get so hammered. I also didnt report any of the issues either. I did take pictres though. On the bright side the new Oasis pool is my new favorite, great Cabanas, great pool bar and grill, drink refill station. Its just a great spot to relax and unwind even if you are not going to swim. The close proximity to TTC make transportation exceptional. And yes the boat noises are annoying especially in the early morning. So are the toilet flushes from the rooms next door. This is the second time we have stayed since last year.

I also didnt report any of the issues either.

You really SHOULD report the issues.

I think condition is a matter of both rough treatment (stuffing 5 people in every studio) and possibly shortcuts in construction. But it does help for people to report stuff, because I'm not sure even in turnover housekeeping tests all the drawers or similar. (And housekeeping at Poly is known to be, uh, suboptimal sometimes anyway, so they won't report stuff like the shower door.)

We recently returned from a week at the Poly, lake view, and (mostly) loved it! This trip was just DH and I, and we found the studio to be very nice for the 2 of us.

The bad:
  • We had requested a room as far from the TTC as possible. Naturally, we were put in an end room right next to the TTC (2nd floor). The noise of boat horns never bothered us or woke us up (DH sleeps with ear plugs and I use a sound machine with these sleep headphones, so problem solved). But, we are balcony dwellers, and love a peaceful balcony late at night or early morning. With the ferry carrying hordes of excited people at all hours, it did diminish that peaceful feeling a bit. We've stayed in Moorea a couple times previously, at the other end of the building, and didn't have a problem. Anyway, this was not a huge deal, but a minor annoyance at times. I was concerned that this room would be bothered by lights from the TTC, but a tree kindly blocked the TTC lights from the side of our balcony. I'm not sure the equivalent 3rd floor room would fare so well.
  • Minor thing: we both despise the color of the sheers.
  • Kona, what did you do to the Tonga Toast?! DH normally loves this, but it was hard as a rock! Rhetorical question, the supplier changed and they have different bread. A manager described to us at length the efforts they are going through to fix the problem. He thought the problem might be fixed within days of our visit, but we didn't return during this trip to find out.
The good (pretty much everything else!):
  • Our room was clean and in great condition.
  • Balcony view was wonderful. The silver lining of being on the TTC end is there were no bungalows in front of our room (I like the look of the bungalows, but I want to see the lake itself).
  • Another silver lining of being on the TTC end: we could hear the fireworks soundtrack from the TTC, and the view was perfect, pretty much straight on.
  • Pool refurbs are great, including the new Oasis pool, the hot tubs, and the pool bars. Didn't eat any food at the new bar and grill, but I love that the pool bars serve painkillers.
  • On the bar note, Trader Sam's is a huge plus for the Poly, both indoors and out.
  • The shower in the 2nd bathroom is wonderful! And no drainage problems, like I experienced the previous year.
  • Aside from the color of the sheers and a bit of wasted space in the first bathroom, we both generally really like the look, feel, and layout of the studios.
  • Despite concerns, there turned out to be more than enough storage. (Granted, there were only 2 of us this trip. Not sure how I'd feel with 4 or 5 people.)
  • A small thing, but the hidden Mickeys on the carpet are subtle and delightful.
  • As always, love the location and convenience to transportation, including the Epcot monorail.
  • As always, love, love, love the overall ambiance and theme.
  • Love the food and drink options at the Poly and the GF, so staying at either means lots of variety and tasty options within walking distance.
  • We never heard a single peep from the people in the room next to us. Perhaps we're very lucky, but in about a dozen Poly stays, we've never had a problem with this, though I've seen others complain about thin walls. (Don't get me started about my experience at Port Orleans, but I acknowledge that a lot of this probably depends on who you end up with for neighbors.)

We recently returned from a week at the Poly, lake view, and (mostly) loved it! This trip was just DH and I, and we found the studio to be very nice for the 2 of us.

The bad:
  • We had requested a room as far from the TTC as possible. Naturally, we were put in an end room right next to the TTC (2nd floor). The noise of boat horns never bothered us or woke us up (DH sleeps with ear plugs and I use a sound machine with these sleep headphones, so problem solved). But, we are balcony dwellers, and love a peaceful balcony late at night or early morning. With the ferry carrying hordes of excited people at all hours, it did diminish that peaceful feeling a bit. We've stayed in Moorea a couple times previously, at the other end of the building, and didn't have a problem. Anyway, this was not a huge deal, but a minor annoyance at times. I was concerned that this room would be bothered by lights from the TTC, but a tree kindly blocked the TTC lights from the side of our balcony. I'm not sure the equivalent 3rd floor room would fare so well.
  • Minor thing: we both despise the color of the sheers.
  • Kona, what did you do to the Tonga Toast?! DH normally loves this, but it was hard as a rock! Rhetorical question, the supplier changed and they have different bread. A manager described to us at length the efforts they are going through to fix the problem. He thought the problem might be fixed within days of our visit, but we didn't return during this trip to find out.
The good (pretty much everything else!):
  • Our room was clean and in great condition.
  • Balcony view was wonderful. The silver lining of being on the TTC end is there were no bungalows in front of our room (I like the look of the bungalows, but I want to see the lake itself).
  • Another silver lining of being on the TTC end: we could hear the fireworks soundtrack from the TTC, and the view was perfect, pretty much straight on.
  • Pool refurbs are great, including the new Oasis pool, the hot tubs, and the pool bars. Didn't eat any food at the new bar and grill, but I love that the pool bars serve painkillers.
  • On the bar note, Trader Sam's is a huge plus for the Poly, both indoors and out.
  • The shower in the 2nd bathroom is wonderful! And no drainage problems, like I experienced the previous year.
  • Aside from the color of the sheers and a bit of wasted space in the first bathroom, we both generally really like the look, feel, and layout of the studios.
  • Despite concerns, there turned out to be more than enough storage. (Granted, there were only 2 of us this trip. Not sure how I'd feel with 4 or 5 people.)
  • A small thing, but the hidden Mickeys on the carpet are subtle and delightful.
  • As always, love the location and convenience to transportation, including the Epcot monorail.
  • As always, love, love, love the overall ambiance and theme.
  • Love the food and drink options at the Poly and the GF, so staying at either means lots of variety and tasty options within walking distance.
  • We never heard a single peep from the people in the room next to us. Perhaps we're very lucky, but in about a dozen Poly stays, we've never had a problem with this, though I've seen others complain about thin walls. (Don't get me started about my experience at Port Orleans, but I acknowledge that a lot of this probably depends on who you end up with for neighbors.)
Thank you for this awesome review of your stay. I really hope they have the Tonga toast thing figured out before we go in October. We have two breakfasts booked at Kona for the Tonga toast, and the coffee too. We are all so excited to stay there!!

Our home resorts are AKV and BWV, for very different reasons, and both are our favorites. That being said, in the almost 17 years that we own, I've gone on a mission to stay in as many DVC resorts in the World as possible.
So far I've been at all except BCV and BLT.

I have to say, while Poly used to be a huge draw for us, and we couldn't wait for DVC to start selling there, thinking we may add on, my stay there made the decision not to buy there easy.

It's a beautiful resort, LOVE the grounds. The restaurants don't do much for me. Kona is okay. Ohana, we've done a few times when the kids were growing up and it lost it's flare...for us.

As far as the DVC units, I love the split bathroom, and the third floor MK view, watching the fireworks from the balcony and even the distance from the main area to these buildings. I like the pool too. I do not like that it's all studio's and at high points values per night, but what really turned me off was the noise from the TTC and the boats! Just did not expect it to be loud enough to wake me up so early in the morning (I'm not a light sleeper). I also didn't expect to actually hear the people as they waited, boarded or debarked from the boats. It's a nice resort. Not our idea of luxury (give me GFV any time for that!)

I can't say we'd never stay here again, but it's no longer something we "must do". Maybe sometime in the future, when we have grandkids, should we be so blessed.

All in all, not our favorite, and not a must for us. But...I still think the resort itself is beautiful :)

We stayed a Poly studio the week of March 13th and were disappointed. The service at the front desk was awful...a man from Canada left his passport on the counter and it got misplaced. All CM's were looking for it when I went to the front desk since our Magic Bands didn't open our door initially. It took forever to finally get in our room after getting the Magic Bands to work. We were almost late to our Via Napoli dinner.

The walls seem very thin - we could hear everything next door. The teenage boy arguing on the phone with his girlfriend most nights. While we liked the two bathrooms, the rest of the room's color palette wasn't for me.

We don't think it's worth the point value and likely won't stay again. Looking forward to going back to our Boardwalk home in Oct.!
I can honestly say as a long time DVC owner, i will eventually stay at Poly, but i will do so to check it off the list of resorts i wanted to stay in as a kid...that being said, we love OKW and the vibe there. However if i were coming down for a short park commando trip...i would definitely want to stay at one of the monorail resorts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter