Underwhelmed with Poly

I bet the noise has been there all along, but people haven't complained about it because they aren't staying there as often. We were in Moorea in 1997 on our first trip and I don't remember boat noises. But we were out of the room most of the time and we all were tired at night, so we slept. But with DVC members, they report back frequently, hear the same report over and over, come and do their own report on the situation. Plus DVC villas are the same three buildings. In the old days, you could be all over the resort, not just those three buildings.

I think stating why people have or have not complained about something is no more than a guess.

Saying in the old days you could be all over the resort (meaning not in the 3 near the TTC) I would say in response that people had a very good chance of being placed in one of those 3 longhouses since they make up 49% of all the non-club level rooms just in those 3 longhouses. Also 2 of those 3 longhouses have been 2 of the top requested longhouses since they opened so I don’t get the impression people were trying to avoid them.

I wonder if that's what they are going for now, having half of all the deluxe rooms be DVC. That's what they are doing with WL too, and that's what they did at BW, more than half of BW is DVC. I have a feeling what was saving GF and Yacht Club is the huge convention business, but maybe not for long. I bet one whole side of Yacht and Beach is next. They turned a Contemporary wing into BLT making that whole complex about half DVC too. I'm thinking for now that Poly and GF escaped about as well as they could, it's not nearly as noticeable there.

I wonder if that's what they are going for now, having half of all the deluxe rooms be DVC. That's what they are doing with WL too, and that's what they did at BW, more than half of BW is DVC. I have a feeling what was saving GF and Yacht Club is the huge convention business, but maybe not for long. I bet one whole side of Yacht and Beach is next. They turned a Contemporary wing into BLT making that whole complex about half DVC too. I'm thinking for now that Poly and GF escaped about as well as they could, it's not nearly as noticeable there.

A few differences I think - it seemed more like BWV was planned for DVC and BWI was just a part but they were built in conjunction with each other and not a conversion. BLT does not encompass 1/2 of the resort and the conference center at GF is one of the smaller onsite so I'm not certain of the importance of conference business there vs YC/BC, CR or CS. But I do think Disney had an "aha" moment a few years ago and started thinking it would be good to be able to have more resort expenses allocated to DVC owners. And it can still work out well because the Deluxe were not full occupancy (although from all numbers they tend to be filled to occupancies that most hotels would love to have) and Disney can still get Villa rooms to rent out due to trades.

Despite my DH catching some nasty virus and being quite ill for half our trip, we both loved our lake front studio. There's lots of valid criticisms but there are so many pluses. The view right up main street to watch Wishes. The quiet (not official but was for our 6 night stay) Lava pool with great food and great service. Happy smiling cast members...they remembered us. Heard stories of why they were at WDW and we shared why we were back. I know there big plans for other DVC locations in the future but the Poly will always be special. Will be lurking resale...

On our last trip down this past New Years Eve week we took the tour through the Poly Bungalow and the studios. We are a Family of 6 so for us we'd need 2 rooms, but besides that I'm such a stickler on value per point and trying to maximize that it would be hard for me to justify it. As we'd rather spend a lot of our time in the parks, I'd rather get more stays out of our points. I know this isn't everyone's thinking, and they definitely thought of this that people like that convenience of the monorail and TTC and really upped the point cost from a lot. We had banked points one year and were able to get like 6-7 days in a Treehouse Villa and with the cost on the Bungalow we would've gotten like 3 days or something like that. I thought the rooms looked nice, but I don't think we'll be staying there with our family.

We found a nice balance by staying at the GFV with a room overlooking the poly bungalows. I then feel like I am at the Poly without being underwhelmed by the other things at Poly. Get to walk there for a Kona breakfast but also get to experience the incredible GFV location, restaurants, pools, etc.. We have been able to get in to GFV within 7 month window with no problem in early September.

We stayed a Poly studio the week of March 13th and were disappointed. The service at the front desk was awful...a man from Canada left his passport on the counter and it got misplaced. All CM's were looking for it when I went to the front desk since our Magic Bands didn't open our door initially. It took forever to finally get in our room after getting the Magic Bands to work. We were almost late to our Via Napoli dinner.

The walls seem very thin - we could hear everything next door. The teenage boy arguing on the phone with his girlfriend most nights. While we liked the two bathrooms, the rest of the room's color palette wasn't for me.

We don't think it's worth the point value and likely won't stay again. Looking forward to going back to our Boardwalk home in Oct.!

Your not crazy....we have seen many people talk about the noise issues, even when we were there in March chatting at pool. We stayed CL level in March...soundproof room but lots of issues with MB. People think you are coo coo when you say you have problems. We go often...lots of issues.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter