Underwhelmed with Poly

We toured the new bungalows and the studios while we were at the VGF. I really liked both. Now, we didn't stay so I don't know about the noise level and all but I liked the design of both the studio and the bungalow. Was disappointed to see they didn't make the floor glass work so you could see in the water. Missed the memo that that had been scrapped, but the personalized pool is a nice touch. I think we will stay in the studio at one point just for a couple days to experience the resort.

The glass floor to look into the water was a rumor started by someone and was never a part of any real concept of the Bungalow design.

How often do the horns blow in the morning and night? Every 10min? 30? We are considering staying just to experience the resort and pool for a couple days but are not morning people on vacation

We were 4 bungalows away from the TTC end and the horns never bothered anyone in our group and never woke us up. I wake up very easily from noises at home.

We stayed there a couple of weeks ago in a 3rd floor lake view Moorea room. We loved the views and the transportation convenience, and didn't have any issues with the boat noise (although the noise from the rooms next door was a different story). But our major concerns were confirmed - it's simply too inconvenient for us to stay in a room without its own laundry for more than a few days, and we like having a separate space from the sleeping area to read, watch TV, etc. This was not a surprise to us given that we're 1BR lovers. We missed the kitchen, though that and the separate space wouldn't have been deal breakers, but the lack of in-room laundry really irritated us because there's clearly plenty of space if a different design had been considered. So we might stay there occasionally, but not for longer stays, and won't purchase points there.

The glass floor to look into the water was a rumor started by someone and was never a part of any real concept of the Bungalow design.

just relaying - the tour guide talked to us about it and said it was scrapped due to the time and building constraints. Doubtful they would be purposely spreading falsehoods. I would think it is an often asked question and one they would be versed on answering.

just relaying - the tour guide talked to us about it and said it was scrapped due to the time and building constraints. Doubtful they would be purposely spreading falsehoods. I would think it is an often asked question and one they would be versed on answering.

It is just a false rumor that has spread to some of the CMs. Speaking to the DVC staff I met they knew nothing about the project until it opened and they saw the models.

We were 4 bungalows away from the TTC end and the horns never bothered anyone in our group and never woke us up. I wake up very easily from noises at home.
We just stayed in Moorea room 3033 last week, our view was of the last few bungalows near the TTC. I wake up easily at home too and never woke up from the horns during our stay. We did hear them during the day when we were in the room and awake but I was surprised they didn't bother any of us while sleeping. This was our first time staying at the Poly and we've stayed in almost all of the deluxes with DVC and this is now our favorite.

We were on the third floor lake view Moorea last week too. We have totally different work hours so I knew vacation would be an adjustment, but from advice on this board I knew to bring earplugs. So worth it! The first night we forgot and the kids on the pathway below at 6:30am woke us before the horns at 7. After that we used our earplugs and slept through the kids and the horns.

We are mid-50's and don't tour the parks like we used to. We really appreciated the view straight up Main Street USA to view Wishes. We've stayed at VGF and BLT and the best point of view is definitely from the Poly lake view room.

We bought direct at AKV and BLT. The price is crazy expensive, but we would definitely look for resale points at PVB.

Three adult friends shared a Tokelau studio 5/1-5/6/16...we loved everything about it. We didn't have noisy neighbors; our magic bands worked; we didn't hear the boat horns. The CMs were noticeably friendlier/more helpful than at other DVC resorts and we found the layout really great--by choosing a different corridor to exit Tokelau we could be within 2-3 minutes of just about any part of the resort (TTC walkway, boat ferry, Great Ceremonial House, DVC pool, main pool, beach)...of course it took us a day or two to figure that out, but once we did it felt like we were as close as it was possible to be to just about everything...

Three unrelated adults in a studio is something none of the three of us would choose to do again, but since it was the only way this trip was possible (points shortage), we made the best of it and it wasn't so bad...the two bathrooms helped a LOT (and being directly across from the pool w/its bathrooms also helped)...even the biggest of the three of us (a pooh-sized 5'7" woman) fit comfortably on the pull-down murphy bed...for us, it was the best choice if we were going to accept being "crowded"...separate real-bed sleeping space for all of us and extra face-washing, shower-taking, getting-ready space to boot...

I've now stayed at every WDW DVC resort and love all of them except Wilderness Lodge (very bad experience there will keep me from ever going back "voluntarily")...as others have said, each has its own appeal/special features...for the kind of trip this last one was, the Poly was perfect for us...We are definitely fans...

We just stayed in Moorea room 3033 last week, our view was of the last few bungalows near the TTC. I wake up easily at home too and never woke up from the horns during our stay. We did hear them during the day when we were in the room and awake but I was surprised they didn't bother any of us while sleeping. This was our first time staying at the Poly and we've stayed in almost all of the deluxes with DVC and this is now our favorite.

The funny thing is these longhouses have been there since 1985 and so have the ferry boats. I remember staying in Moorea in 1996 a few rooms down from the ferry and like you said, you can hear them during the day but I can’t say they ever woke me up. I think the sound sort of adds to the atmosphere during the day. I don’t ever remember hearing a single complaint about the horn before DVC opened at the resort.

The funny thing is these longhouses have been there since 1985 and so have the ferry boats. I remember staying in Moorea in 1996 a few rooms down from the ferry and like you said, you can hear them during the day but I can’t say they ever woke me up. I think the sound sort of adds to the atmosphere during the day. I don’t ever remember hearing a single complaint about the horn before DVC opened at the resort.

I've seen complaints from back then too. But people were able to be moved within the resort and that was often the accompanying report which is a difference from now where the DVC is at that end with no option of the other side of the resort and they charge people to move. In addition the lakeview rooms are restricted to those that will have the most noise.

I've seen complaints from back then too. But people were able to be moved within the resort and that was often the accompanying report which is a difference from now where the DVC is at that end with no option of the other side of the resort and they charge people to move. In addition the lakeview rooms are restricted to those that will have the most noise.

I don’t doubt that someone complained before DVC opened at the resort. I’m just saying out of the thousands of reports people have sent me over the last 17 years I have not had someone mention the horns or being asked to be moved from Moorea (Tahiti) because of the noise before it reopened with DVC rooms. That is why I made that statement. I’m not doubting that some did complain before but I see it being much more frequent now. Along with having stayed in it myself a few times on the lagoon side and not experiencing any problems with noise.

Just returned home from a 6 night stay in Moorea lake view room 3020. I love the resort and the room but I often wonder how the rooms get so damaged so quickly. The middle drawer in the first bathroom does not open. When you pull it hard it comes right out of the cabinet, along with the ball bearings. It looks like its been that way for a while. Towel bar is barely hanging onto the wall and more than likely will come right off the wall soon. Light bulb above the sink was out. Bad staining of the pullout couch cushions. Glass shower door handle wiggles like crazy, almost feels like it may come off. And the Tiki man lamp had his hand broken off. The curtains at the sliding glass door need some kind of tie back. When you try to close the sliding glass doors the curtains ALWAYS get stuck in the door. None of these issues caused my stay to be terrible but I just can't understand how the rooms get so hammered. I also didnt report any of the issues either. I did take pictres though. On the bright side the new Oasis pool is my new favorite, great Cabanas, great pool bar and grill, drink refill station. Its just a great spot to relax and unwind even if you are not going to swim. The close proximity to TTC make transportation exceptional. And yes the boat noises are annoying especially in the early morning. So are the toilet flushes from the rooms next door. This is the second time we have stayed since last year.

I checked out of this room this morning!

Didn't notice the bathroom drawer. The light bulb was fixed.
I used the second bathroom shower, handle was a little wobbly but I didn't see how it could be fixed, there were no screws.
We noticed the broken hand on the lamp and the stained cushions. The hand was right in front of the outlet so likely someone hit it while unplugging something. Solid color on the couch was a bad idea.
We got used to the boat horns, didn't bother us unless someone mentioned it. We were usually up before 7:00.
View was incredible.
Monorail transportation great.
Had a great time at Trader Sams on Tuesday night.
I stayed in the Poly about 20 years ago and wasn't crazy about it. But I have to say this time I really liked it! I wish Boardwalk had a quick service like Captain Cooks.
Now at Art of Animation for 3 nights in a family suite.

Was disappointed to see they didn't make the floor glass work so you could see in the water.

Why? I mean....why? What do you "get" out of looking into the water? It's not like there's crystal clear water with tropical fish or anything. It's brown, and it's water, and you can't see anything except brown water.

Why? I mean....why? What do you "get" out of looking into the water? It's not like there's crystal clear water with tropical fish or anything. It's brown, and it's water, and you can't see anything except brown water.

LOL I was "hoping" they would have a clear water area around the bungalows to make it feel more real

So I had this experience just with VGF. I have wanted to stay there since I started coming to disney and we finally got our chance last month! The resort is beautiful but it just didnt do it for me like I thought it would! After two days we switched to the Poly (our third vist within 1 year) and instantly it felt like home! We have stayed twice with a lake view and only heard faint horns at night while falling asleep. It does add to the ambiance. We love the poly! We love it so much we bought a small contract there after our most recent trip! To each there own! DVC has so many resorts to try just check it off your resort list!

GOOD NEWS on the feedback on the Oasis Pool. LOVE the split bathroom of the Poly.::yes:: Very light sleeper and was not bothered by horn noise from Tokeleau in October. CAN'T WAIT to be back soon!:dance3:

Our last trip we were wakened by the 7am leaf blowers right in front of Moorea. That is a DVC first for me.

Every since WDW was built, my dream was to go to WDW and stay at the Poly. All grown up now and have stayed at many resorts in WDW, and the area. I've always looked longingly at the Poly as we went by, wishing I could afford it.

2 years ago my daughter and family stayed at the Poly, and I thought, "Great, I can actually experience the Poly when I visit her". Well, to say I was disappointed was an understatement! The room was dark, damp, with a slightly musty smell. The families room service trays were never picked up, left in the room. Finally my daughter set them out into the hall to be picked up. Guess what? They were still there when they checked out 6 days later!!! So were several other room service trays, all lining the dark hallways. Housekeeping was notified several times to no avail.

I can gladly say that I won't be wasting my money, now that I can afford it, on the Poly; not after what I experienced.

They usually stay at POR, and the entire family wished they had booked at the POR instead.

I don’t doubt that someone complained before DVC opened at the resort. I’m just saying out of the thousands of reports people have sent me over the last 17 years I have not had someone mention the horns or being asked to be moved from Moorea (Tahiti) because of the noise before it reopened with DVC rooms. That is why I made that statement. I’m not doubting that some did complain before but I see it being much more frequent now. Along with having stayed in it myself a few times on the lagoon side and not experiencing any problems with noise.
I bet the noise has been there all along, but people haven't complained about it because they aren't staying there as often. We were in Moorea in 1997 on our first trip and I don't remember boat noises. But we were out of the room most of the time and we all were tired at night, so we slept. But with DVC members, they report back frequently, hear the same report over and over, come and do their own report on the situation. Plus DVC villas are the same three buildings. In the old days, you could be all over the resort, not just those three buildings.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter