Universal + Harry Potter...It's Official!

I don't think a harry potter theme park is going to do well or even last that long. I can see them maybe making a few rides or having it as a part of universal, but come on lets get real. Harry potter is a big hit now, but is never going to be as big as the Disney Classics or even new classics for that matter.

I'll take Disney's Magic over Potters Witch magic anytime.:woohoo:

I think Harry Potter has come as close as anything since Disney to challenging the Disney classics for pop culture dominance. What Disney is to movies, Harry Potter is to books (actually that isn't fair because even Disney isn't as successful in the movie industry as Harry Potter has been in the book industry). There hasn't been any book, movie, or tv series that has captured the entire world's imagination the way that Harry Potter has since the Disney movies of the early '90s, and I don't even know if those compare. The movies probably won't ever be the classics that the Disney ones were simply because the books are so much better (but then books are almost always better than movies), but I don't see the books ever being considered anything less than classic. It is perfectly all right to not like the Harry Potter books/movies (I even admit they aren't perfect), but to say they won't be classics is almost laughable.

With all the excitement, I totally forgot to ask this practical question, are they going to have to close down Dueling Dragons? Does anyone know how long or when that will happen? It is one of my favorite rides at IOA.

From what I've read no rides or attractions will close.

I guess the next logical question is - how much will the entrance price be in 2010? :)

The movies probably won't ever be the classics that the Disney ones were simply because the books are so much better (but then books are almost always better than movies)

Lord of the Rings was about as close as it got as to a movie being anywhere near as good as the book...

Now we've got another Harry Potter thread moved here. Why don't we just close all these threads and just have one?

After much discussion and speculation among DISboards participants over the years, yesterday's press announcement that Warner/Universal are planning on opening a Harry Potter Theme Park in 2009 in the Orlando area has answered the question.

Apparently it has the blessing and participation of J.D. Rowling in the design stages, currently under underway. Not much in additional details other than Rowling's statement that she wants it to remain true to the novels as much as possible.

Next big questions - what effect will this have on WDW? Will many of us be splitting (or extending) our vacations with the new park? What will WDW do to hold on to its fans - lower prices, new attractions, etc. Finally, let the speculation begin as we have two years to discuss what the new park's going to include and what will it look like.

Not sure what effect it might have on WDW. From what I'm seeing here on the boards, it looks like a lot of folks might take "a day" away from their WDW vacation to check out the HP Island. If that's the case, I don't think it will have a huge impact on WDW.

I probably won't treat my Orlando vacations any different than they are now: Three to five days per trip dedicated to US/IOA and maybe two or three days dedicated to WDW. The only difference might be our accommodations. Normally we stay onsite at USO's HRH or our timeshare off site. The Loews hotels in Orlando offer mind-blowing discounts to FL residents/APH'ers. I don't know if this will be the case once the HP Island is open. We might just be staying offsite every trip.

I hope this puts the fire under WDW's butt to offer some new incentives, particularly to FL residents!

As for what it will look like, one of our favorite USO DIS boards resident's (Damo) son has Photoshop'd what he believes the new layout of that part of IOA will look like based on current satellite photos and the conceptual drawings that have been released by USO. My money's on that. It looks spot on :thumbsup2

Maybe she'll post it over here, too, since it seems to be a hot topic on this thread.

Seriously?? But that's so expensive!

Universal's one day rates are the same. It will be interesting to see what kind of multi-day passes they come up with. The 85/7 days probably won't exist. All the better reason to get an annual pass now and keep it updated!!!

Whoever mentioned that Wizard of Oz could not sustain a park in itself. There is a Wizard of Oz park here in North Carolina called "Land of Oz". It opened in 1970 and closed in the 80's. It reopened again in the 90's and reopens seasonally each year after that.

Okay WHERE is this?? When I saw the earlier post about not being able to do a Wizard of OZ park, I thought...oh yes they could!!!

Universal's one day rates are the same. It will be interesting to see what kind of multi-day passes they come up with. The 85/7 days probably won't exist. All the better reason to get an annual pass now and keep it updated!!!

But Universal always have the best deals. Do you think they will really take them all away and become expensive like Disney? A lot of people love Universal instead of Disney because of the prices.

But Universal always have the best deals. Do you think they will really take them all away and become expensive like Disney? A lot of people love Universal instead of Disney because of the prices.

One of the reasons that their prices are so good is to be competitive. They may not need to lure people in with low prices once the Wizarding World is open. Remember, they'll have to earn some money back!!! I'd like to see them keep their prices higher, remove the express plus passes and keep express just for hotel guests.

Now we've got another Harry Potter thread moved here. Why don't we just close all these threads and just have one?

It was moved here from the Disney attractions board.

Both threads have now been merged into one. It may be a little confusing but at least we won't be talking in circles.

I think Harry Potter has come as close as anything since Disney to challenging the Disney classics for pop culture dominance. What Disney is to movies, Harry Potter is to books (actually that isn't fair because even Disney isn't as successful in the movie industry as Harry Potter has been in the book industry). There hasn't been any book, movie, or tv series that has captured the entire world's imagination the way that Harry Potter has since the Disney movies of the early '90s, and I don't even know if those compare. The movies probably won't ever be the classics that the Disney ones were simply because the books are so much better (but then books are almost always better than movies), but I don't see the books ever being considered anything less than classic. It is perfectly all right to not like the Harry Potter books/movies (I even admit they aren't perfect), but to say they won't be classics is almost laughable.

You pretty much wrote the post I was thinking about writing.

I haven't read the books nor seen the movies (gasp!!) but I can see how they have effected and embraced by our modern culture. I think it's a great addition to an already great park.

Maybe Disney should be taking notes.

It was moved here from the Disney attractions board.

Both threads have now been merged into one. It may be a little confusing but at least we won't be talking in circles.

It'll be much better. It is so hard when there is more than one thread going on the same topic.

They do need to do something at IOA as I have had no deire to go to that portion of Universal because it is 90 percent roller coasters and I HATE roller coasters.

You aren't very good at math. I count about 14 rides (not counting attractions just rides) and 4 of them are coasters.

Wow, you go to a baseball game for the afternoon and come home to one masively confusing thread. I thought for a while there I had lost my mind, kept seeing quotes I had not read!

I think I may have figured out part of the I hate Universal or I hate Disney feeling. On our very first trip as adults we never even considered not doing both companies parks. Since we have such a long drive from the very first time we sceduled a nice long relaxing vacation. It made no since at all to me, my husband, my mother or my sister to not do it all.

We fell in love with all of the parks on that very first visit. I think there are probably a lot of people that have a limited a amount of time so they choose one over the other. That choice then becomes the park that they so despereately love.

If everyone would just open their minds and take in the parks the way they are supposed to be enjoyed you will find that no matter which set of parks you love you are missing out on a very special experience.

With that said, I don't feel that anyone should come to the Universal board and bad mouth the Universal parks. I do realize that threads got moved from the Disney boards to the Universal boards. But it really shouldn't be done on any of the boards. For that matter the Disney parks should not be bashed on any of them either.

They do need to do something at IOA as I have had no deire to go to that portion of Universal because it is 90 percent roller coasters and I HATE roller coasters.

Here are IOA's Attractions:

If I Ran The Zoo - play area
Caro-Suess-El - carousel
The Cat In The Hat - spinning dark ride
One Fish Two Fish... - Dumbo ride with water
Sky Trolley - Powered coaster over Suess Landing (note, not free rolling, but powered)

Poseidon's Fury - special effects walkthrough
Sinbad - Stunt Show
Dragons - roller coaster
Flying Unicorn - junior coaster

Discovery Center - interactive area
Camp Jurassic - play area with family suspened coaster
river Adventure - water ride

Dudley - Log Flume
Popeye - raft ride
Me Ship - play area

Spiderman - 3D attraction
Doom - drop tower
Storm - teacup type ride
Hulk - roller coaster

definetly not 90%

I have mixed feelings about this one. I read a comment in the newspaper that compared Harry Potter to the Wizard of Oz, that they were both classics and would be around for many years. That may be true. However, who would want to go to a Wizard of Oz theme park? Back in the 1930's, when the big movie came out, there would probably have been a market for one, but at this point, you might get one good attraction out of it, not even a whole section of a theme park.
Ten years ago or so there were actually plans to build a "World of Oz" theme park (in, where else? Kansas -- specifically, near DeSoto). The park would have been laid out exactly as the Kingdom of Oz was: with "Munchkinland" in the east (where guests could see a replica of Dorothy's House), to the land of the Winkies in the west (complete with Witch's Castle haunted house), and the Emerald City dead in the center. This is, of course, a different park than "The Land of Oz" in NC.

That project died on the vine, but I've just read that Niagra, NY may get an Oz theme park instead. The proposed park will be called "The Magical Lands of Oz" and have a budget somewhere between $750M - $800M.

Lets be honest we all know why Rowling went Universal....the all mighty dollar. Universal offered more for the rights. plain and simple.
According to reports, she went with Universal because Disney dropped out of negotiations. Whether or not this was because of "the all mighty dollar" is hard to say; the thinking is that Disney wanted to commit their resources to acquiring Pixar.

The plain and simple truth is that neither you nor I were at the bargaining table, and neither one of us knows exactly how much Disney and Universal were offering her. The fact remains: she was able to make a deal with Universal, and that's good news for everyone: It's good for Universal, because they'll have an exciting new offering for guests. It's good for Disney, because the influx of guests will amost certainly spend time and money at the WDW Resort. And it's amazingly good news for HP fans around the globe who will soon be able to do what they've only dreamed of doing in the past: walk down the main street at Hogsmeade and visit Honeydukes, while walking up towards Hogwarts Castle. My God, that's Great News!

HARRY POTTER WOULD NOT WORK AT DISNEY! They don't know how to keep their hand off of a product like this. They would eventually have Harry wearing Mouse ears.
I was at MGM for Star Wars Weekends today... and after seeing the "Jedi Mickey" merchandise, I have to agree with you wholeheartedly. Well, one correction: Disney would begin selling merch with Mickey, Donald, and Minnie cast in the roles of Harry, Hermione, and Ron. I'm almost 100% positive that would happen (or maybe not; I'm told Lucas will sell Star Wars merchandising rights to anyone with a checkbook. JKR is, by all reports, much more selective).

Seriously?? But that's so expensive!
Seriously. One reason WDW raises its' rates is because it knows Universal must follow suit or risk being perceived as a "second-rate" destination. If both parks were inexpensive, guests would go to both parks. Obviously, Disney wants to make it as unattractive as possible for guests to leave WDW property while on vacation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter