Updated plans for Grand Floridian Expansion

I'm beginning to wonder where we are from a legal standpoint. Contract says they can do renovation to the GF.. this isn't renovation - they are erecting a brand new building - to renovate you need to have something existing to renovate! BUT no-one is admitting that they are building so we are kind of in limbo. I'm very disappointed, as it seems us brides are currently and after-thought.

We have been wondering the same thing. You make a good point that this is not renovations. I just wish someone would be a little more honest about what is going on and exactly how it will effect us. It is so frustrating with all the money we have spent. I think the least they can do is cut the price of the pavilion because we are not getting what we paid for. I head down for my planning session in about 2 weeks. I'm hoping I will have more information by then. My planner told me I could change locations but there just isn't anything that compares.

We have been wondering the same thing. You make a good point that this is not renovations. I just wish someone would be a little more honest about what is going on and exactly how it will effect us. It is so frustrating with all the money we have spent. I think the least they can do is cut the price of the pavilion because we are not getting what we paid for. I head down for my planning session in about 2 weeks. I'm hoping I will have more information by then. My planner told me I could change locations but there just isn't anything that compares.

Yep, I was offered another location which are all lovely, but the others don't have the same appeal for me that the wedding pavilion does. I was offered a different date but I'm 8 weeks away (7 weeks and 6 days!) and we are from the UK - its costing us and out guests thousands of pounds to be a part of our day - flights, hotels, car hire all booked, wedding items personalised.

I'm astounded that I've had to read about this on here rather than being informed by Disney. Its certainly not meeting up to my expectations, I expected a 'fairytale wedding' not weeks of panicking about how my photos are going to look, and whether I'll hear a pneumatic drill in the background of my ceremony.

Yep, I was offered another location which are all lovely, but the others don't have the same appeal for me that the wedding pavilion does. I was offered a different date but I'm 8 weeks away (7 weeks and 6 days!) and we are from the UK - its costing us and out guests thousands of pounds to be a part of our day - flights, hotels, car hire all booked, wedding items personalised.

I'm astounded that I've had to read about this on here rather than being informed by Disney. Its certainly not meeting up to my expectations, I expected a 'fairytale wedding' not weeks of panicking about how my photos are going to look, and whether I'll hear a pneumatic drill in the background of my ceremony.

I completely understand that. We are 4 months away but have already bought our airlines and so have most of our guests along with several deposits down for photographers ect. There is know way I will be changing dates.

I was shocked that I was finding this info out on here as well and I let my planner know this. I think we have the right to be informed ahead of time with all the money we are spending. Its like there is no consideration of us. I was so upset when I started reading all of this. I keep imagining myself walking down the aisle to a bunch of construction noise. It is the last thing we need to be thinking about. I just keep hoping it sounds worse than it will be

We haven't done our planning session yet, so I'm not overly familiar with the grounds...but I'm trying to picture what impact this would have on our photos/what we need to plan around. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am just trying to picture it in my head so I can prepare myself for possible disappointment. :(

QUOTE]

We are coming over from the UK too! What seems very odd to me is that some planners are acknowledging the construction to a degree and suggesting alternatives, but there are others (including mine) which keep avoiding the subject completely. Its so frustrating to see pics of it actually happening and them almost denying it! I feel like I'm losing my mind a little bit!:confused:

So has anyone decided to jump ship and choose another ceremony venue? I am totally on the fence... Have the WP booked for May 18th, 2012 but now I just don't know what to do! :(

My wedding is May 27th 2012 and I feel the same way you do eveshepherd. I dont know what to do and also Grand floridian is one of the Hotels we have picked out for our guests and now I am kind of hesitant about this.

This is also coming from a DVC new member who swore up and down to buy in once DVC Grand Floridian was available, so my feelings are so mixed. I am excited and nauseous at the same time. I accept change and the fact that Disney must expand and grow, that is to be expected.

I guess the worst part, as others have said, is the lack of communication in addition to the fact that for now, its unpredictable as to what it will look like then. So, do I potentially change the venue now and hope it was worth the trouble, or leave it be and hope for the best... not the best feeling when less than a month ago we plopped down our deposit and just received our contract copy this week and were giddy with excitement. Unsettled is the best description of how I feel. And duped, in a way. They had to have seen/known about this for a long time. I was just there in May to see the site in person and not one word was mentioned about this... very disappointed. I would have considered looking at other sites while I was there and now I am left to make a 50/50 decision. :(

Its really suck, girls, doesn't it!! Yes expansion is expected but the right thing to do would either

a) Inform future brides PRIOR to booking about the 'highly likely but unconfirmed' construction at that venue.
b) Don't accept any bookings for the WP until construction completed and continue to offer other venues. (loses money but still...)

I feel like they have taken my money and done a runner in some ways!

I can't believe some of the planners are not acknowledging the construction! I rang to speak to my planner but she was out of the office - so another lady answered and asked if she could help. As soon as I mentioned that I KNOW there are boards up she went all quiet and said she would ask my planner to call me back. Planner said she is aware that there will be a GF expansion at some point, but she didn't know what it was etc but did acknowledge the boards being up when I said I'd seen photos.

Does anyone else know what the likely route change to the carriage will be? I suppose if I know that I can make a better decision based on that info - rather than flipping a coin that I'm doing now! :rotfl:

I can't believe this. Why can't anyone get a definate answer? It is just so frustrating and so disappointing. We've booked the landau coach so I am curious about the route change too :sad2:

My wedding is May 27th 2012 and I feel the same way you do eveshepherd. I dont know what to do and also Grand floridian is one of the Hotels we have picked out for our guests and now I am kind of hesitant about this.

This is why I picked Contemp even though all my activities revolve around the grand. Contemp was a better option to kind keep them away :confused3

We changed venues. We got a pretty good "wink" that stuff was starting soon when we went on a DVC tour in May--I still was trying to be hopeful, but he was rapidly changing his mind about the WP. Then the final straw was the stained glass windows--I didn't love the idea--but he really really really didn't like it. (He wanted to get married outside anyway) We figured if they were taking measures like that, that it would probably be pretty drastic. We also were going to use the Summerhouse as the reception, but that will have a main view of construction and that wouldn't work either.

I'm happy with our venue now!!

We originally booked WP but when I first got wind of this possible construction I sat down with Adam and we talked about what was important to us. I also talked to our consultant because at that point in time we had only seen the WP. We didn't even visit other ceremony venues on our site visit. We ended up switching to SBP because I didn't want to have to worry about the construction. If it rains, I can't avoid it, but I can actively avoid the construction. It worked out better for us anyways and we are having a DP at Sago Cay so we can enjoy some of the GF magic. And I got to see SBP when I went down for a work conference in May and I loved it.

We haven't changed our venue yet but after our planning session that may change. It sucks though because we already had our invitations printed up with the Wedding Pavilion on it :confused: My fiance and I are such a loss we keep going back and fourth. Hopefully our ps will give us a better idea. It seems like the only good back up location is sea breeze point but we are getting married in December so if its cool out we don't want all of guests in strapless gowns freezing! I was thinking last night that since our pictures have pretty much been ruined what about walking over to the Polynesian and taking pictures on there beach. I can't picture though if that would put the Grand in the background or not or if you would still see construction in back of photos. All things I want to check out when I'm there in 2 weeks.

For those of you who have mentioned visiting Franks, or the WP, or having a WP session in the coming weeks, please keep us posted on any news! I'm not going for my planning session until January and fear that might be too late to make any decisions or changes... :( I know speaking for myself and others here, we'd appreciate it!

Headed to the WP for my site visit tomorrow. I will see what I can find out and see what kind of pictures I might be able to take.

For those of you who have mentioned visiting Franks, or the WP, or having a WP session in the coming weeks, please keep us posted on any news! I'm not going for my planning session until January and fear that might be too late to make any decisions or changes... :( I know speaking for myself and others here, we'd appreciate it!

I'm going to a wedding on wednesday she has the carriage so I will definitly report back when I return on friday

It's amazing to me the difference in responses people get. I called my wedding planner as we are scheduled to get married at the WP on Oct 7th at 10am. I was concerned about the construction equipment and noise. I didn't get my wedding planner, I got her assistant. She asked if I had any questions and then answered all of my questions. Now, granted I'm not as nervous as most as my wedding is still a couple months away. From what I understand is:

• Yes, construction is starting.
  • Yes, there are new stained glass windows being installed on the side windows only. She said that they are very lovely and even have Cinderella's carriage worked into them. (waiting to see pictures)
  • I was also told that construction will only being going on overnight. There will not be any construction going on during ceremonies. (I was nervous about noise and construction workers wandering around)
  • She also told me that Disney Event Photography is already aware of the construction and has been out trying new angles and areas for pictures.

I spoke with my fiance and we are confident and comfortable that this will not change anything for our ceremony. However, we do not have a carriage ride to worry about either. So, we are sticking with the WP. I think each bride needs to make a personal judgement though with what they are and are not comfortable with.

Not sure if that helped anyone...

Edited: Just got off the phone with my planner's assistant. She said the windows are not installed yet (which I knew) but they will send me a picture of them as soon as they are installed. So, I will pass that along as soon as I get it.

Hi everyone, I just wanted to say that although I am a little dissapointed that there will be construction walls, I still love the WP. I am really sorry for all of you that are upset and I hope you are able to get some kind of compensation.

Our wedding is April 21, 2012. My fiance and I actually both love stained glass windows, so we are kindof excited about them. As for pictures, I know that there will be plenty of places where no construction will be able to be seen so having those walls in the background isn't as much of a big deal for me. Just about anywhere else you go, you would either have a road or other kind of distraction around a site like a church or other venue, so even though it isn't the pristine disney, I am still happy with the WP (especially since the ceremony is inside and you wont be able to see the construction in there).

I just wanted to say that when you are given lemons sometimes you have to make lemonade. I am just happy to be able to have a disney wedding and marry my best friend.

That said I really do hope that disney makes it right by doing whatever they can to make all of you happy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter