VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Aw, you know you're always welcome on this thread. Feel free to drop by anytime! :)

Thank you, Granny!!!! I had a question but posted on the wrong board!! Didn’t realize it until after I posted it! Have a great Holiday!!! :flower3:

Chiming in on the housekeeping policy. I saw the post on the DIS news yesterday about the "privacy please" signs and how it would change in the near future. Tammy and I noticed during our stay at Sports that the PP sign was missing and thought nothing of it as our stays at VWL and Coronado, we had them.
Like Granny, I feel DVC should just be honest, we all have on our big boy/girl pants here, call it what it is, we can take it! I can choose to put the deadbolt on the door for privacy reasons if I choose, and we always do after a incidence at VWL a few yrs back. A manager didn't know one morning but stepped right in, as I was parading around in my undies. She was embarrassed, I was, and it was all for a so called check on what was supposedly in her opinion what she thought was an empty room.
I understand the need to check now for law reasons, but it don't make me happy. Like Granny, we like having our privacy and down time. We don't need trash removal everyday. But it is what it is.

Granny....loved your visual on the closeness of the Groupies rooms at the Lodge! Very cool!

I am not thrilled with the removal of the DO NOT DISTURB signs. Sometimes we nap in the middle of the day. Do we have to call Housekeeping with our every move. Not happy.
This is our predicament as well.

Chiming in on the housekeeping policy. ... Like Granny, we like having our privacy and down time. We don't need trash removal everyday. But it is what it is.

We also do not like this new policy. For medical reasons, at Disney we get a VIP Clean of our room before we arrive [BTW - housekeeping at Copper Creek did a GREAT job for our recent stay], do some additional cleaning ourselves once we get in the room, and decline housekeeping for the duration of our stay [and hang the "do not disturb" sign for the duration]. Once the room is clean, we don't want other people in it. As part of the VIP Clean we also ask for a set of extra towels [they are washed without chemicals, so are not the ordinary towels anyway], and are happy to reuse towels for our stay. Trash we can take to the trash room if it is too much, stinky, or likely to attract critters.

Most of our WDW visits now are "enjoy the resort" visits, with little park time - this last trip the only parks we did were Typhoon Lagoon and a MVMCP -in part because the main part of our trips is a DCL cruise; the resort stays are the bookends of a few days each. WL of course is one of our favourite places to do such a resort stay -- the theming alone, but also so many places to just sit and relax, including plenty that are nice little nooks -- the WL hotel, CCV, and BRV all have their share of them and this past trip we quite enjoyed discovering new ones ! :-)

SW

Not to add fuel to the smoldering fire, but they've already implemented this at the monorail resorts. Here's what guests now have as an option to hang on their door:

Room occupied sign.jpg

You can see by the words on the bottom that Disney will be visiting each room even if the Room Occupied sign is hanging out.

I think it's interesting that the graphic makes it seem like people are not in the room ("Off to Neverland") but the sign is supposed to indicate that people are in the room.

Granny....loved your visual on the closeness of the Groupies rooms at the Lodge! Very cool!

I am not thrilled with the removal of the DO NOT DISTURB signs. Sometimes we nap in the middle of the day. Do we have to call Housekeeping with our every move. Not happy.

Another common scenario for us is one will jump in the shower and the other may go out and get coffee or just a quick walk around or something. In that case the safety latch can't be used because the other person wants to come and go and if someone is in the shower they are not going to hear a door knock and entry. Or we've had it where you hear it but don't even get a chance to respond before they are in. At least the policy of generally staying out of the room if the do not disturb sign was up gave some more privacy than this where they are flat out telling you they'll come in even if the sign is up.

Not to add fuel to the smoldering fire, but they've already implemented this at the monorail resorts. Here's what guests now have as an option to hang on their door:

View attachment 290061

You can see by the words on the bottom that Disney will be visiting each room even if the Room Occupied sign is hanging out.

I think it's interesting that the graphic makes it seem like people are not in the room ("Off to Neverland") but the sign is supposed to indicate that people are in the room.

Just looking at the tag before reading what you wrote I was thinking the same thing. Off to Neverland to me means heading out to some park fun! I guess they were thinking Off to Sleep but it wasn't my first thought. When you have a Peter Pan Ride it isn't so clear what that statement means. o_O

I think they put a lot of thought into the sign design and wording. It's nice, but think I will bring a sticky notepad with me to add a note such as "Sleeping - Please return at XX", to the tag when I am in the room. Yes, they may still ignore it, just as the bellhops choose to do at 2am to alert us that they found our lost luggage, but it could help.

Last edited:

View attachment 290061

So the resort staff will knock but others will not.

:earsboy: Bill

I think they put a lot of thought into the sign design and wording, it's nice, but think I will bring sticky notes with me to add a note such as "sleeping - please return at XX", to the tag when I am in the room. Yes, they can still ignore it, just as the bellhops choose to do at 2am to alert us that they found our lost luggage, but it may help.

This is what I'm thinking about doing as well. It's at least worth a try!

Merry Christmas Groupies! Finally caught up on the posts since Thanksgiving ( I know, I'm pathetic). Been very busy as are many of you this time of year. We successfully made it through DD21's college graduation last weekend, and got her moved home from Arkansas. We will move her to St. Augustine in a couple of weeks for grad school. On that note I have a question. I'm about to purchase these DVC annual passes before the deal expires. I plan to buy DD21 one as well, since she'll be so close and can use it often. Will we have to be with her to activate the pass? We don't plan to activate ours until April over spring break. She could obviously go much sooner since she'll be much closer, but I'm thinking that one of us will have to be with her to activate it. Am I thinking correctly? Could we get her a blue DVC card? Do we have to add her to our account to do that?

I'm not sure what to think about the new "trash" policy. I read it to DH the other day in the car. He didn't seemed bothered by it at all (which kind of surprised me). I don't like the thought of someone being in my room everyday, but I understand the reasoning behind it. I'm with others though, why can't Disney just lay it on the line and be honest about the reasoning? Maybe they are afraid it will burst people's fairy tale bubble of The World.

Thanks to those who shared all the pics of the groupie meets. Love seeing all the wonderful pics. I would have loved to attend if we were down that way. I'm going to go watch the Disney Holiday shows I've recorded. We had brunch with family this morning, but everyone has left now. Probably because it seems that DH may have the flu! I was going to take him to urgent care, but it doesn't seem that any are open in our area today. Not sure if going to the emergency room would be frowned on for the possibility of the flu? We are supposed to leave town on Wednesday for my sister's birthday and a wedding in North Alabama. I need for him to be well. Not sure what to do??

graduation.jpg
Thought I would share a pic of us at graduation last week. Can't believe life is moving so fast!

Merry Christmas Groupies! Finally caught up on the posts since Thanksgiving ( I know, I'm pathetic). Been very busy as are many of you this time of year. We successfully made it through DD21's college graduation last weekend, and got her moved home from Arkansas. We will move her to St. Augustine in a couple of weeks for grad school. On that note I have a question. I'm about to purchase these DVC annual passes before the deal expires. I plan to buy DD21 one as well, since she'll be so close and can use it often. Will we have to be with her to activate the pass? We don't plan to activate ours until April over spring break. She could obviously go much sooner since she'll be much closer, but I'm thinking that one of us will have to be with her to activate it. Am I thinking correctly? Could we get her a blue DVC card? Do we have to add her to our account to do that?

I'm not sure what to think about the new "trash" policy. I read it to DH the other day in the car. He didn't seemed bothered by it at all (which kind of surprised me). I don't like the thought of someone being in my room everyday, but I understand the reasoning behind it. I'm with others though, why can't Disney just lay it on the line and be honest about the reasoning? Maybe they are afraid it will burst people's fairy tale bubble of The World.

Thanks to those who shared all the pics of the groupie meets. Love seeing all the wonderful pics. I would have loved to attend if we were down that way. I'm going to go watch the Disney Holiday shows I've recorded. We had brunch with family this morning, but everyone has left now. Probably because it seems that DH may have the flu! I was going to take him to urgent care, but it doesn't seem that any are open in our area today. Not sure if going to the emergency room would be frowned on for the possibility of the flu? We are supposed to leave town on Wednesday for my sister's birthday and a wedding in North Alabama. I need for him to be well. Not sure what to do??

View attachment 290230
Thought I would share a pic of us at graduation last week. Can't believe life is moving so fast!
Congratulations to your Daughter! Getting that first degree in hand is truly a moment to be proud of for everyone.

Emergency rooms do not turn away anyone, they see everything and something as simple as the flu can be a welcome change from the other unknowns. Do what you feel most comfortable with. It does sound as though he might be missing a wedding if he's sick though. I'm sure your sister and the wedding folk would understand and appreciate the thought to their safety should you choose not to attend. :/ Hope he feels better soon. (hugs)

View attachment 290230

More than once I've read of children who have been able to activate the DVC AP by having a copy of your Member card and their own ID. Your daughter cannot get a member ID unless she were on your deed but it seems like that isn't necessary. Good luck with that and hope that your DH feels better quickly!

So sorry I am late to the party(againo_O), had a house full of folks from early AM till late PM yesterday, so Tammy would have done me in had I taken time away from what we needed to be doing. But I just wanted to say
Merry Christmas!!
I hope everyone had a great day. We get so caught up in the activities of the day, that other important things(like you folks)get put behind. So, I wanted to take the time since its a bit settled here now to just say how important you folks are to me and my sanity. Thanks for letting me hang around!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter