VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Merry Christmas Groupies! Finally caught up on the posts since Thanksgiving ( I know, I'm pathetic). Been very busy as are many of you this time of year. We successfully made it through DD21's college graduation last weekend, and got her moved home from Arkansas. We will move her to St. Augustine in a couple of weeks for grad school. On that note I have a question. I'm about to purchase these DVC annual passes before the deal expires. I plan to buy DD21 one as well, since she'll be so close and can use it often. Will we have to be with her to activate the pass? We don't plan to activate ours until April over spring break. She could obviously go much sooner since she'll be much closer, but I'm thinking that one of us will have to be with her to activate it. Am I thinking correctly? Could we get her a blue DVC card? Do we have to add her to our account to do that?
I did this with my son last August. Member services needs to document the record with the necessary information and then will give you a "magic" file number (I think that's what they called it). She needs to take the file number, her voucher number, a copy of your DVC card, and her photo ID when she picks up her AP.

Merry Christmas, Groupies!! Your posts have me so excited about returning to VWL!! The pictures at the lodge look beautiful and festive. Looking forward to escaping our Lake Effect Snow next week!! Right now we're getting dumped on!!

Merry Christmas, Groupies!! Your posts have me so excited about returning to VWL!! The pictures at the lodge look beautiful and festive. Looking forward to escaping our Lake Effect Snow next week!! Right now we're getting dumped on!!
The pictures and reports have been fun to see and read, haven't they? We don't get lake effect snow here in southwest Virginia, but it's far too cold for my tastes. We keep dreaming about moving farther south. . .just as soon as we win the lottery! :rolleyes1 Hope all the Groupies have had a great holiday season so far, and it's not too early to say, HAPPY 2018!

More than once I've read of children who have been able to activate the DVC AP by having a copy of your Member card and their own ID. Your daughter cannot get a member ID unless she were on your deed but it seems like that isn't necessary. Good luck with that and hope that your DH feels better quickly!

I did this with my son last August. Member services needs to document the record with the necessary information and then will give you a "magic" file number (I think that's what they called it). She needs to take the file number, her voucher number, a copy of your DVC card, and her photo ID when she picks up her AP.

Thank you! This is better news than I thought it would be! DD has a former roomie that will be in grad school at UCF, so she'll have someone to hang out with when she wants to head to the parks on the weekends ( when she's not drowning in her studies and homework of course)! Never went to the doc with DH yesterday. He went to work this morning and said he felt better. Fingers crossed he really does and it's not the flu.

The pictures and reports have been fun to see and read, haven't they? We don't get lake effect snow here in southwest Virginia, but it's far too cold for my tastes. We keep dreaming about moving farther south. . .just as soon as we win the lottery! :rolleyes1 Hope all the Groupies have had a great holiday season so far, and it's not too early to say, HAPPY 2018!

Reno treated us well for Christmas this year and I even spent a little time out on the deck. 50's this entire week and pretty white snow up on the mountains to look at. :santa:
Far better than the the time I spent in MN last week although this week is even worse - it never made it above zero degrees yesterday in the area I go back to there. :eek: My departure on Saturday was perfect timing.

Perhaps it's old news, but this is something I hadn't heard, but for which I'm eternally grateful. . .
https://www.inquisitr.com/4702429/l...raction-reportedly-closing-forever-next-week/
Yup. Stitch fan here (obviously) and even I had no desire to go back in to that show after seeing it once. The show was so bad Disney seems to have turned many people against the little alien.

That location has a history of having bad shows, I hope the next whatever-it-becomes can break the curse. If I could whisper one thought into the ear of an imagineer it would be to get rid of the circular seating design.

Perhaps it's old news, but this is something I hadn't heard, but for which I'm eternally grateful. . .
https://www.inquisitr.com/4702429/l...raction-reportedly-closing-forever-next-week/

As a child I liked both Flight to the Moon and Mission to Mars although they would be terribly hokey today. Then Alien Encounter - whew! Did that attraction a few times and it always made me tense up waiting for the alien breath. :scared: I was hopefully when Stitch opened. Did it once. Years and years and years ago. I figured I was leaving space for some unsuspecting new visitor. :rotfl2:

Annual passes are bought. Can’t wait to start using them. Just FYI if you are buying Disney gift cards for passes or dues, Sams Club has $500 cards for $479.88. If you want to double dip, put the Disney cards on your discover card and get 5% cash back for Sams club purchases. Saved a few bucks on the passes. Just thought I’d share even though i know this isn’t the budget board.

I honestly cannot remember if I have ever ridden the stitch attraction. Years ago when it opened, We had to baby swap for the attraction. DH rode first with the girls and decided that it was so stupid that I didn’t need to ride it. I’m not sure I ever did. Hopefully they will replace it with something good!

Annual passes are bought. Can’t wait to start using them. Just FYI if you are buying Disney gift cards for passes or dues, Sams Club has $500 cards for $479.88. If you want to double dip, put the Disney cards on your discover card and get 5% cash back for Sams club purchases. Saved a few bucks on the passes. Just thought I’d share even though i know this isn’t the budget board.

Thanks for the tip. A savings tip is always appreciated among friends. Another option is to buy the $500 worth of cards at Target using the Red Card for $475 (5% off). We did this for our last trip, and even though it's not huge savings we always enjoy saving whenever possible.

Other people have done the same and used the Disney gift cards to pay their annual DVC dues. If you do this, you pretty much wipe out 5% of the total dues which would nicely offset most of the 6% increase we see in dues for 2018.

Just FYI if you are buying Disney gift cards for passes or dues, Sams Club has $500 cards for $479.88. If you want to double dip, put the Disney cards on your discover card and get 5% cash back for Sams club purchases.
We buy the cards from BJs at basically same price. We use the Disney visa and get 1% back. We tend to use them at the resorts to pay back our room charges before it hits our card.

I have a question for everyone, seems like some time back, I remember seeing a post about DVC and how the resorts historically are filled. Can anyone lead me to that?

Sorry Jimmy, I don’t recall a post regarding resort occupancy rates. Would like to see the info though.

We buy the cards from BJs at basically same price. We use the Disney visa and get 1% back. We tend to use them at the resorts to pay back our room charges before it hits our card.

I have a question for everyone, seems like some time back, I remember seeing a post about DVC and how the resorts historically are filled. Can anyone lead me to that?

Do you mean this Jimmy? It was done a couple of years ago and updates are in progress I believe.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/p...tudios-some-1-bedrooms-prepared-2015.3419112/

This is exactly what I did last year and will do again this year.

Though the 5% discover at Sam’s sounds good. I have a Discover but no Sam’s membership currently. Thinking about it though.

Since we just bought, this will be our first year paying dues. Did the set up to pay it monthly.

Do you mean this Jimmy? It was done a couple of years ago and updates are in progress I believe.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/p...tudios-some-1-bedrooms-prepared-2015.3419112/
Thats it Kathy!! Thank you :-) Thanks also to our fellow groupie skier-pete for compiling this list, nice job Pete!!

Because my MIL got sick and we had to cancel our Oct trip, we were able to put pts. back in the system, therefore, we had to readjust our trips, and a hope to go too Aulani-Disneyland combo trip now has to take the back burner...AGAIN!!

So we are in the mode of re-adjusting trips, so now, we will renew APs for 2018 with a trip planned for Mar. and Oct.(and always the hope of slipping one or two under the rug in the mean time:D)

Then in 2019, hopefully Feb, we will plan a Aulani-Disneyland trip. Looking at Aulani, looks like not much issue getting a 1 bed during this time, VGC, different story, so we may need to look at renting pts at 11 mos if available. Told Tammy that according to the chart, Mar may make for a better chance for VGC.

My reasoning for Feb, I really want to see the big waves at the Bonzai Pipeline. In Sept when we were there, 2 surfers and waves no bigger than here in NC/SC beaches. Shouldn't dictate my reason, but I have heard my folks talk about those waves as they always went Jan.-Feb. and I think it would be cool to see, plus its cold as blazes here during those months, so no opposition from me to be in the warmth
:beach:

And too add to my present confusion of this all, question, anyone ever stayed at Paradise Pier Hotel in Disneyland? Looks like its available presently for 2018 dates that we would be going same time in 2019. It would be roughly $600 less than renting pts. from Davids rentals for VGC. Obviously, my preference would be VGC in a 1 bed, but having to weigh out all the logistics up front.

Last edited:
Thats it Kathy!! Thank you :-) Thanks also to our fellow groupie skier-pete for compiling this list, nice job Pete!!

Because my MIL got sick and we had to cancel our Oct trip, we were able to put pts. back in the system, therefore, we had to readjust our trips, and a hope to go too Aulani-Disneyland combo trip now has to take the back burner...AGAIN!!

So we are in the mode of re-adjusting trips, so now, we will renew APs for 2018 with a trip planned for Mar. and Oct.(and always the hope of slipping one or two under the rug in the mean time:D)

Then in 2019, hopefully Feb, we will plan a Aulani-Disneyland trip. Looking at Aulani, looks like not much issue getting a 1 bed during this time, VGC, different story, so we may need to look at renting pts at 11 mos if available. Told Tammy that according to the chart, Mar may make for a better chance for VGC.

My reasoning for Feb, I really want to see the big waves at the Bonzai Pipeline. In Sept when we were there, 2 surfers and waves no bigger than here in NC/SC beaches. Shouldn't dictate my reason, but I have heard my folks talk about those waves as they always went Jan.-Feb. and I think it would be cool to see, plus its cold as blazes here during those months, so no opposition from me to be in the warmth
:beach:

And too add to my present confusion of this all, question, anyone ever stayed at Paradise Pier Hotel in Disneyland? Looks like its available presently for 2018 dates that we would be going same time in 2019. It would be roughly $600 less than renting pts. from Davids rentals for VGC. Obviously, my preference would be VGC in a 1 bed, but having to weigh out all the logistics up front.
I will tell you that getting all your days at VGC is going to be tough. We somehow snagged four of our five days, but the wait list is for the night right in between our first two nights and last two nights. We weren't aware of just how much walking a reservation goes on there. We were fine up until a week to go, and then boom! By the time we realized what was going on, we were stuck outside looking in. Everything was gone. After that, you could tell people were walking reservations. We lucked into a 1BR for two nights and then a GV for the last two evenings. We've been on a wait list since for the in between day with no luck. We had booked PP for that entire week, then switched to the DL Hotel for the week after deciding the bathrooms looked like a better set up for two women. So, we do have a place to stay, just hoping somehow the wait list comes through. The DL Hotel is a bit more than PP--and you can get a park view at PP which was appealing--but Chris was swayed by the fact the DL Hotel is so iconic and has better bathrooms. We go in June, so I'll let you know what it's like then.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter