WDW COVID-19 Operational Changes- Reservation System-Rope Drop Procedures

Hi I'm new here! Looking to book a February or May 2021 trip, but I'm worried about crowds from people rebooking and if it'll be safe. I usually rent dvc but may book at a moderate instead so I can cancel if needed. Anything else I should be thinking about?
In terms of easiest, I think the overall approach is book a package - room & tickets - through disney. It allows for the most flexibility and less hassle in case of canceling etc.

Totally agree with this. A package is $200 down with full payment due 30 days prior to check-in. At this point in time, it will give you the most flexibility in terms of cancelling or modifying your trip. I will add, packages for 2021 have not officially been released by WDW yet, however, they have been allowing the booking of "basic packages" which is essentially a room-only reservation booked under package terms and conditions. If you want to book now, before packages are officially released (which typically happens in the summer), I would call and ask if you can book a "basic package". It will make adding any tickets or dining to the package much easier when official packages are released.

Totally agree with this. A package is $200 down with full payment due 30 days prior to check-in. At this point in time, it will give you the most flexibility in terms of cancelling or modifying your trip. I will add, packages for 2021 have not officially been released by WDW yet, however, they have been allowing the booking of "basic packages" which is essentially a room-only reservation booked under package terms and conditions. If you want to book now, before packages are officially released (which typically happens in the summer), I would call and ask if you can book a "basic package". It will make adding any tickets or dining to the package much easier when official packages are released.

If I want to book a split stay, can I do two packages? I ask because I’d rather put down 200 per package instead of like 500 per hote reservation

Forgive me if this has already been mentioned, but for those wondering about DAH official cancellations and refunds, I’d suggest visiting the official DAH (MK and DAK) and DVAH event pages. They’ve been pretty good about updating them frequently with cancellations, and once an event is listed as canceled, Disney should begin processing your refund. As of now, all have been cancelled through and including April 24.

A package is $200 down with full payment due 30 days prior to check-in.

I don't know if this will be the same when you are ready to go, but WDW has told me that the full payment is actually due until 7 days before check in. If the world's back to normal by then that might not be the case, but when I did my recent June 1 rebook, they said I'd have until 7 days before check in to pay.

What does the canceling of the Fall Advantage College Program mean for reopening? IIRC, Fall Advantage arrives in May and early June, with Fall Program members not arriving until August. If they’re canceling CP arrivals through early June, how many CP’s will be around to reopen, until Fall Program starts up in August? That seems like a bad sign.

What does the canceling of the Fall Advantage College Program mean for reopening? IIRC, Fall Advantage arrives in May and early June, with Fall Program members not arriving until August. If they’re canceling CP arrivals through early June, how many CP’s will be around to reopen, until Fall Program starts up in August? That seems like a bad sign.
All speculation at this point. They might reopen with a fraction of the cm working. They'll probably give advantage to union cm first.

All speculation at this point. They might reopen with a fraction of the cm working. They'll probably give advantage to union cm first.
Can the parks be open in full without CP’s? If there aren’t any CP’s until August, does that indicate a summer of the “modified experience” that had been rumored? Just trying to figure out how they can run WDW without CP’s for several months, since they’re such a big part of the workforce.

Can the parks be open in full without CP’s? If there aren’t any CP’s until August, does that indicate a summer of the “reduced experience” that had been rumored? Just trying to figure out how they can run WDW without CP’s for several months, since they’re such a big part of the workforce.
I believe they can, it'll be on hands on deck from the management/ salaried cm. Again all speculation but they could open with a lot of offerings closed.

I believe they can, it'll be on hands on deck from the management/ salaried cm. Again all speculation but they could open with a lot of offerings closed.
That was actually my question, if they could be fully open, with normal operations. So, that would be no, they can’t, then.

That was actually my question, if they could be fully open, with normal operations. So, that would be no, they can’t, then.
None of us know. I honestly don't think once they open, they open full on. But this thread is trying very hard to not speculate and go with only facts which is why i won't go into more details

You can, but one would need to be a “ticketless package” to avoid overpaying for tickets on both packages. Such can only be booked by phone, not online. Include full tickets with you first package.

Enjoy your vacation!

I didn’t even know you can do a ticketless package? Wouldn’t that just be a room only package? Which would charge me more than the 200 down payment.

I didn’t even know you can do a ticketless package? Wouldn’t that just be a room only package? Which would charge me more than the 200 down payment.
No, a basic (“ticketless”) package is $200, just like a package that includes tickets and a dining plan. I do it frequently because I make a reservation months before I know a) if I’m going to renew our APs, and b) if a dining plan makes sense (there’s no way I know in March how my family will eat in November!). If I book a basic package, it gives the option of adding those components (tickets and dining plan) on at a later date. With a room-only reservation, there is no way to add a dining plan; if you had a room-only reservation and decided to add a dining plan, you’d have to cancel and re-book. You can purchase tickets separately, of course, though. The other big advantage of booking a basic package is that it’s only a $200 deposit, which is convenient if you don’t want $600 (or whatever for a deluxe resort) tied up 10 months in advance. I think packages also come with “extras” that room-only reservations do not— character luggage tags, maybe mini golf as well. I’m sure someone else knows!

I'm mostly just venting frustration about a situation over which I have no control, but in case anyone else finds themselves in this weird position...

I'm in a weird AP place: my Silver AP expired March 23. I renewed early at the end of January, and I upgraded to Gold while renewing because I planned to use PhotoPass for the April race weekend, and to go the parks on a summer trip. I do monthly payments, so as of today, 3 payments have already been made, even though the renewal AP hasn't been used and only became active March 24.

So if I were to go with option 1, I'd only get one of those three payments refunded, even though the other two were made in advance on a renewal that wasn't yet in use. My March expiration would remain in place, and I'd have a more expensive AP (Gold vs. Silver) that I can't use the added benefits of, since the parks are closed through April and I see no way it'll be safe for me to visit in summer (underlying health issues), even if they manage to open. This was confirmed when I tried calling this morning: they will not refund the two previous payments, only the last one.

If I go with option 2, I'll have the Gold AP longer with an expiration extension, but how much longer? If it won't cover next summer, the added benefits of the Gold are useless, since I wont' be able to use them.

The two CMs with whom I spoke today agreed that I'm in this weird, grey area that isn't covered well by any of the options. I was told to email corporate and explain my unusual situation and see if they'll either cancel the renewal completely and refund my 3 payments, or downgrade me back to Silver so I at least won't be paying for additional benefits I can't use. I sent the email this morning - we'll see. It's frustrating, and I'm kicking myself for screwing it up by renewing early, but I had no way of knowing any of this was coming.
Quoting myself to add an update: I received a reply to my email... and it told me I need to contact the VIPassholder line. Which is where I started and was transferred and then told to email Guest Services. So, full circle and I'm back to the start with no answers.

I agree that booking a package with Disney is the best option for re-scheduling right now due to the ease in cancelling it and getting a refund. I bought tickets from Broadway Ticketing and have contacted them to see if I can get a refund of those tickets, but I'm not too hopeful they will do it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter