WDW COVID-19 Operational Changes- Reservation System-Rope Drop Procedures

So if we move our resort reservation & it's a different rate on the new date, do you pay the difference? I thought Disney was making exceptions because of coronavirus, if you had a reservation thru May 31 you can change your date without any additional fees. ( isn't this what Pete has been saying on Dis Unplugged?)

So if we move our resort reservation & it's a different rate on the new date, do you pay the difference? I thought Disney was making exceptions because of coronavirus, if you had a reservation thru May 31 you can change your date without any additional fees. ( isn't this what Pete has been saying on Dis Unplugged?)

As far as I understand those aren’t fees (like change fees, cancellation fees) just price differences.

Disney has waived any cancelation fees and and added change fees. If you change dates and the package price is different you still pay that difference.

I edited my post please reread.

Got it. No, they are not making any accommodations/changes to resort rates for re-scheduled trips - you pay the rate in place for whatever new dates you’re booking (and with any applicable discounts for the time period, if available).

For those re-booking further out than current discount promotions go, that means booking at the rack rate now and then you’ll need to watch like a hawk for when discounts do come out to modify to a better rate (if available).

As others have mentioned, Disney is waiving the change fees, but if you change your dates, the rates for the resort and the cost for the tickets for the new dates apply.

If, for example, you change from April Easter week to late August, you will likely pay *less* because the rates and ticket prices for the new dates are less. If you change to Christmas week, well, you’ve changed to Holiday pricing, the highest for the year, and you will have to pay more. I hope that helps!

So nothing has changed, you could always do this.
Correct. They just made it sound like there was a difference. Obviously if Disney is the one canceling, because they're closed, a customer wouldn't be paying a fee to cancel.. Disney canceled it. Basically nothing is different than anything you could always do other than their way of "advertising it."

Correct. They just made it sound like there was a difference. Obviously if Disney is the one canceling, because they're closed, a customer wouldn't be paying a fee to cancel.. Disney canceled it. Basically nothing is different than anything you could always do other than their way of "advertising it."

The difference is, if the guest calls to modify or cancel, the typical $50 and $200 fees are waived. The waiving of the $50 change fee was put in place prior to the parks closing in mid-March and the cancellation waiver was put in place the night they announced they were closing the parks until March 28 and applied (and still applies) to guests checking in until June 30. Of course there are no fees if Disney cancels, but these waivers were put in place so guests have more flexibility to change and cancel in the months ahead even if they do reopen.

The difference is, if the guest calls to modify or cancel, the typical $50 and $200 fees are waived. The waiving of the $50 change fee was put in place prior to the parks closing in mid-March and the cancellation waiver was put in place the night they announced they were closing the parks until March 28 and applied (and still applies) to guests checking in until June 30. Of course there are no fees if Disney cancels, but these waivers were put in place so guests have more flexibility to change and cancel in the months ahead even if they do reopen.
I hate to cancel our July trip because I got the free dining, and if I move to later in the year it won't be available. I'm probably just going to ditch this year and start planning for 2021. Even if they are open in July (and I don't think that's a given) I don't want to be in a crowded area when the virus is still kicking around. So with that in mind, anyone know when 2021 dates become available for booking?

I hate to cancel our July trip because I got the free dining, and if I move to later in the year it won't be available. I'm probably just going to ditch this year and start planning for 2021. Even if they are open in July (and I don't think that's a given) I don't want to be in a crowded area when the virus is still kicking around. So with that in mind, anyone know when 2021 dates become available for booking?

You can call and book a room-only now (you can book up to 499 days in advance). If you call, ask if you can book a "basic package". It's basically a room-only reservation, but under the terms and conditions of a package. If you want to add tickets and/or dining later, it is much easier to simply add it to this "package" than cancelling a room-only and re-booking a package reservation. If you want to wait until full packages are available (room/tickets/dining), they are typically released in the summer prior to the next year (for 2021, look for them in June/July of this year)

For the vast majority of ppl., nothing changed. You can modify/cancel your package no questions asked up to 30 days prior to check-in for packages and 5 days for room only. When these "announcements" were made it was right before DISNEY canceled/closed so obviously no fees would apply for them and anyone else would have had more than 30 or 5 days til check-in could modify cancel anyways. Seriously this announcement may have applied to .01% of vacationers...and even then we've always had luck changing under 30 days and have always had the fees "waived."

Don't get me wrong I appreciate the customer service and one of the big reasons we return, but I'm not going to mislead ppl. by making them think this was anything different than what almost all could've done to begin with.

I went ahead and made a back up room reservation for my July dates.
My point protection plan deadline is end of May through DVC rental store before the amount of money I would lose doubles.
I doubt we’ll know the July situation with any certainty by end of May.
This way I would have until early July to decide if we’re going or not which would take some pressure off..
Definitely glad I got the PPP this time since I haven’t always done it.

For the vast majority of ppl., nothing changed. You can modify/cancel your package no questions asked up to 30 days prior to check-in for packages and 5 days for room only. When these "announcements" were made it was right before DISNEY canceled/closed so obviously no fees would apply for them and anyone else would have had more than 30 or 5 days til check-in could modify cancel anyways. Seriously this announcement may have applied to .01% of vacationers...and even then we've always had luck changing under 30 days and have always had the fees "waived."

Don't get me wrong I appreciate the customer service and one of the big reasons we return, but I'm not going to mislead ppl. by making them think this was anything different than what almost all could've done to begin with.

Ok, I guess will agree to disagree then. We aren't talking about policies prior to 30 days before check-in.

The waiving of change fees was done on March 11 before Disney ever announced they were closing. The change to the cancellation policy was made the evening they closed the parks (right after they made the announcement), but the resorts were to remain open.

I was one of those guests that was able to cancel with no penalty within 30 days of check-in even though the resorts remained open for most of my vacation. I canceled a package booking 5 days prior to check-in and got a full refund including my $200 deposit. That's a change in policy.

It also applies to guests who, currently, have package reservations for May and June (which haven't automatically canceled yet). Their package balances aren't due until 7 days prior to check-in now, due to the changes in terms and conditions, and they can cancel up to one day prior to checking in (up until a June 30 check-in), even if the parks and resorts are open at that point. This is completely different than the normal terms and conditions for a WDW package. So, if by .01% of vacationers you mean everyone booked for May and June who can now pay 7 days prior instead of 30 and get a 100% refund 1 day prior to their trip, well, then, ok! It's not misleading, while WDW typically waives the change fee (I'm with you on that one), the balance due date (7 days prior until further notice) and cancellation policy (1-day prior until June 30) are completely different than the normal terms and conditions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter