WDW COVID-19 Operational Changes- Reservation System-Rope Drop Procedures

Checking in on the thread. We cancelled our May 16-23 trip a few weeks ago, and finally this week we got the last step done with receiving a refund from our travel insurance for our offsite condo. The only money we are out is timeshare fees. All our tickets from both Disney and Uni were reimbursed through UT, our onsite hotel was cancelled and we got that money back and now the last step with the offsite condo is finished.

Sorry for everyone in the same boat, but I am also glad people are being responsible in not trying to make unnecessary travel. I live in an epicenter in my state and it's unbelievable.

When I spoke with @GADisneyDad14 about starting this thread I really hoped we would be able to navigate around the virus and still be able to go. I'm thankful to him and the other mods for allowing the thread to continue as I believe it has been proven helpful to those of us who were in the uncertain position of having upcoming trips. I personally believe that this virus/distancing/etc. will continue in some way for the next few months, so we have not even thought about rescheduling for the rest of this year. We're going to wait and watch for a while, mostly because we are in a very hard hit area. I'm hoping other areas do not get hit like we are. Stay safe everyone!

My every few day friendly reminder: This is an on topic / fact based thread covering and tracking official Disney announcements about theme park operations, related planning implications, and our collective experiences dealing with the myriad of complications involved with rescheduling. There is an entire separate board on the DIS dedicated to Disney Rumors and News, including a vibrant discussion here full of park opening / operations speculation: Walt Disney World and Disneyland Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

For now, things remain materially unchanged in terms of info from WDW. Disney continues to use the phrase “closed until further notice” on their website. The parks are marked as "closed" on WDW's online park calendar through 5/2. Disney resort reservations are still being accepted for dates 6/1 and beyond, as are ADR, various upcharge event, and FP reservations. Reports from other threads continue to indicate unusual FP availability, the cause of which remains unknown.

There have been no recent changes to prior announcements regarding tickets, APs, resort/package reservations, etc. The information on Disney's closure information page has remained unchanged since 4/3.

Thank you all, stay well.

Not sure if this is the place to ask but if not please redirect me 😀

My friend and I have a trip scheduled for June 16-24. We haven’t paid it off but we have decided to reschedule for next year. Should we pay off the trip and see if wdw opens in June or not. Kind of thinking it won’t and we may get a possible deal. Or should we just reschedule it for next year? I’m not sure what to do and I figured this would be the place to check...

My friend and I have a trip scheduled for June 16-24. We haven’t paid it off but we have decided to reschedule for next year. Should we pay off the trip and see if wdw opens in June or not. Kind of thinking it won’t and we may get a possible deal. Or should we just reschedule it for next year? I’m not sure what to do and I figured this would be the place to check...

So far the only “deal” they have offered for people who have had to reschedule is a Free Dining offer. Free Dining is somewhat controversial - for us and our party size it has ZERO value/appeal whatsoever, but it works well for MANY others. Room only discounts tend to be far more of a “deal” for us, so far Disney is sticking to what was already available.

Personally I would go with what you can control now (eg, cancelling) and not bet on future Disney park operational decisions or possible deals. Just too many unknowns. In my humble opinion.

So far the only “deal” they have offered for people who have had to reschedule is a Free Dining offer. Free Dining is somewhat controversial - for us and our party size it has ZERO value/appeal whatsoever, but it works well for MANY others. Room only discounts tend to be far more of a “deal” for us, so far Disney is sticking to what was already available.

Personally I would go with what you can control now (eg, cancelling) and not bet on future Disney park operational decisions or possible deals. Just too many unknowns. In my humble opinion.

Thank you

My opinion would most likely reschedule it. My personal opinion would be even if it did open beginning of June, it’s not going to be the same magical disney we would usually expect. I would guess all the parks wouldn’t even be open at once, along with a massive cut in the actual employees there for a few months. That’s also assuming there is no second wave when it gets back into the fall/winter. If I’m going to Disney, I want the full works of Disney. I won’t risk health so soon after opening, when I’m not even getting the full experience. Disney is going to be amazing when I can finally go back. I won’t rush it though. Now I could be wrong, but that’s just how I feel about it.

I guess I'd leave it and see what happens. I'll say I don't really feel like they've offered much of a "deal" at all...anybody can get free dining if they really want it for most dates that they offered the "deal."

Checking in on the thread. We cancelled our May 16-23 trip a few weeks ago, and finally this week we got the last step done with receiving a refund from our travel insurance for our offsite condo. The only money we are out is timeshare fees. All our tickets from both Disney and Uni were reimbursed through UT, our onsite hotel was cancelled and we got that money back and now the last step with the offsite condo is finished.

Sorry for everyone in the same boat, but I am also glad people are being responsible in not trying to make unnecessary travel. I live in an epicenter in my state and it's unbelievable.

When I spoke with @GADisneyDad14 about starting this thread I really hoped we would be able to navigate around the virus and still be able to go. I'm thankful to him and the other mods for allowing the thread to continue as I believe it has been proven helpful to those of us who were in the uncertain position of having upcoming trips. I personally believe that this virus/distancing/etc. will continue in some way for the next few months, so we have not even thought about rescheduling for the rest of this year. We're going to wait and watch for a while, mostly because we are in a very hard hit area. I'm hoping other areas do not get hit like we are. Stay safe everyone!

Sorry, see question below. 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:
Hi, is UT charging a restock fee? Just curious, as I am about to go through the refund process as well. Thanks.

Hi, is UT charging a restock fee? Just curious, as I am about to go through the refund process as well. Thanks.
I was not charged a restocking fee, but YMMV. I'm not sure what their policy is right now. I was within my original 90 purchase window.

I'll be perfectly honest with you.... I fully expected the restocking fee because:
1. it is clearly listed in their return policy
2. I believe it's a Disney thing, since Disney doesn't normally refund any tickets
3. a 5% restocking fee isn't going to break me and I'm grateful for the ability to get a refund at all.

It never crossed my mind to ask them to waive the fee. I've seen people complaining about being charged the fee, which really is only a small amount in comparison to the overall ticket price. I don't think that's fair or accurate to accuse UT of not working with customers in this unprecedented time. They have been helping people and actually refunded special promo tickets my daughter and her boyfriend had for Universal when they were not originally refundable. They would've been out $1,500 and Universal would not do anything for her, not even move her tickets to the Fall.

My travel insurance for my offsite condo was actually more of a hassle to get any refund back from. They have a notice on their website that because the virus is a known event, they will not reimburse anyone who doesn't want to keep their reservations. I was able to get my doctor to write a letter stating I could not travel due to my underlying health issues (which is true, she doesn't want me going anywhere!) and that I need to cancel my trip. They accepted that, as long as it didn't mention the virus at all.

So based on most current Covid data, reading posts and polls, room availability and the speculative changes Disney may make when (if at all) opening this summer, what is everyone’s general opinion on crowds this summer? Assuming they are even open I can’t tell if it would be packed more than ever, normal packed, average, below average or dead. I know this is an educated guess with an emphasis on the word guess.

I was not charged a restocking fee, but YMMV. I'm not sure what their policy is right now. I was within my original 90 purchase window.

I'll be perfectly honest with you.... I fully expected the restocking fee because:
1. it is clearly listed in their return policy
2. I believe it's a Disney thing, since Disney doesn't normally refund any tickets
3. a 5% restocking fee isn't going to break me and I'm grateful for the ability to get a refund at all.

It never crossed my mind to ask them to waive the fee. I've seen people complaining about being charged the fee, which really is only a small amount in comparison to the overall ticket price. I don't think that's fair or accurate to accuse UT of not working with customers in this unprecedented time. They have been helping people and actually refunded special promo tickets my daughter and her boyfriend had for Universal when they were not originally refundable. They would've been out $1,500 and Universal would not do anything for her, not even move her tickets to the Fall.

My travel insurance for my offsite condo was actually more of a hassle to get any refund back from. They have a notice on their website that because the virus is a known event, they will not reimburse anyone who doesn't want to keep their reservations. I was able to get my doctor to write a letter stating I could not travel due to my underlying health issues (which is true, she doesn't want me going anywhere!) and that I need to cancel my trip. They accepted that, as long as it didn't mention the virus at all.

Thanks. I am not going to argue with them over a restocking fee, but naturally don’t want to pay it if I don’t have too.

So based on most current Covid data, reading posts and polls, room availability and the speculative changes Disney may make when (if at all) opening this summer, what is everyone’s general opinion on crowds this summer? Assuming they are even open I can’t tell if it would be packed more than ever, normal packed, average, below average or dead. I know this is an educated guess with an emphasis on the word guess.
This thread is focused on what Disney is doing. Speculation on what might happen can be done in the news and rumors forum

Interested in the Undercover Tourist restocking fee as well. It is not the end of the world but would be nice to not have to pay. If anyone else has had different experiences with this (ie. cancelling but NOT getting the 5% restocking fee waived) please let me know!

@mckennarose, I believe the restocking fee is just 5% removed from your refund and not an additional charge. Is it possible to determine how much you were refunded, either via an email receipt maybe or credit card slip, to determine if you were indeed refunded the full amount?

Last edited:
Interested in the Undercover Tourist restocking fee as well. It is not the end of the world but would be nice to not have to pay. If anyone else has had different experiences with this (ie. cancelling but NOT getting the 5% restocking fee waived) please let me know!

@@mckennarose, I believe the restocking fee is just 5% removed from your refund and not an additional charge. Is it possible to determine how much you were refunded, either via an email receipt maybe or credit card slip, to determine if you were indeed refunded the full amount?

Your best bet is to call them directly and ask about your specific situation.

I have a tentative room/dining plan/ticket package booked for end of June through beginning of July. I'd prefer to get the 4-park magic ticket as it will save me some money but I don't want to pay for tickets upfront with all the uncertainty. My fastpass+ date is at the end of this month. Does anyone know, since I'm eligible to change or cancel up to the check in date, can I modify to a ticketless package and purchase the 4 park magic ticket without losing my fastpasses if things look good that the trip is a go once we get closer to check in date? TIA

I have a tentative room/dining plan/ticket package booked for end of June through beginning of July. I'd prefer to get the 4-park magic ticket as it will save me some money but I don't want to pay for tickets upfront with all the uncertainty. My fastpass+ date is at the end of this month. Does anyone know, since I'm eligible to change or cancel up to the check in date, can I modify to a ticketless package and purchase the 4 park magic ticket without losing my fastpasses if things look good that the trip is a go once we get closer to check in date? TIA

You won’t lose any FPs so long as you have tickets in your account. It doesn’t matter where the tickets come from (package, buying them directly, etc), they just need to be there. The general recommendation is to buy tickets first then modify your package.

You won’t lose any FPs so long as you have tickets in your account. It doesn’t matter where the tickets come from (package, buying them directly, etc). The general recommendation is to buy your tickets first then modify your package.
Awesome, thanks so much for the info!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter