WDW's Best Thrill Ride- March Madness Edition

The final match-up in the 1st round is a true grudge match. Like Michigan vs. Michigan St. Like USC vs. UCLA. Like boy vs. girl, in the World Series of love. WHOOOOPS!!!! Sorry. I stopped on the 80's station on my way to work this morning. But you get the idea. These are 2 competitors that everyone loves, but also loves 1 just a skosch more than the other. Both are clutch in their own right. So the only way to determine the winner, is by analyzing cachet, rather than the physical ride.

Space Mountain is the golden child of the Magic Kingdom. The 1st thing you see when you go to the park. Whether you come through the Contemporary on the monorail, pull into a bus depot or when the ferry comes into port. It is up front and personal. In short, it is the Duke University of the Magic Kingdom. It is such a big deal that even the People Mover wants to be linked to it, by spending some dark time with the landmark.

Splash Mountain, is the dark horse. Not just of the tournament, but of the park itself. The park doesn't respect it enough to give it, its own conference. It has to share it with Thunder Mtn. And then there is the theming of Splash Mountain. The league commissioner (Bob Iger) would love to disavow EVERYTHING concerning the ride. Just try to find Song of the South on DVD.

But, I'm picking Splash Mountain to win for 1 simple reason. A few years ago, BDLsgal and I rode Space Mountain and Splash Mountain, successively, during MVMCP. When we emerged from Space Mtn, it was fun, but no real emotional response. When we emerged from Splash Mtn., she was wet, angry, loud and had a "don't mess with me" look on her face. So, for the mere fact that this contest is based off of the NCAA Tourney, and my wife's reaction completely reminded me of Bobby Knight, I'm going...

Splash Mtn. 1k fast passes over Space Mtn. Over/under 2hrs of walk-on time.

This is a Thrill Ride competition so... an easy win for Space Mountain.
Using any other criteria, I would vote for Splash. It is an awesome combination of features that blend together to make an almost perfect Disney attraction. But since this is a Thrill Ride competition, I have to go with:

Space Mountain.

At no point in my life did I ever have butterflies in my stomach while waiting in line for Splash the way I used to for Space Mountain when it first opened up.

Using any other criteria, I would vote for Splash. It is an awesome combination of features that blend together to make an almost perfect Disney attraction. But since this is a Thrill Ride competition, I have to go with:

Space Mountain.

Me too. I prefer Splash but it's more cute than thrilling...so I'm voting Space Mountain also.

Splash because it has Brer Rabbit as it's mascot and the anticipation right before the final drop is VERY thrilling! Also best theme song!

The closest match of the first round is under way! #5 Splash is currently leading #4 Space by a 12-9 score.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter