Wearing dresses to the parks...crazy?

kat777

Mouseketeer
Our trip is in October but, since all the summer clothes seem to be disappearing from the shops already, a bunch of us went out this weekend to look for stuff. I wanted shorts...after trying about a hundred pairs, I remembered there's a good reason I don't own any...they all looked awful.

So, plan B, I was thinking I could take dresses instead. Is that a really bad idea? Are there practical implications I haven't thought of? Would I look out of place? I'm thinking they'd be just as comfy/cool as shorts and a top. My only other option would be something capri-length. :confused3

Looking for some advice from those of you with more theme park/Florida weather experience than me. Thanks! :goodvibes

I think dresses would be fine as long as they are not too short (may be difficult on certain rides?) and as long as you used an item like Body Guide on your thighs to prevent chaffing. I know that may sound a little TMI :rotfl: but that has been my issue with wearing skirts in the heat (and I am quite a petite person, my thighs are never an issue any other time :rolleyes: ). Hope you have a great trip!

I would opt for capris. I am portly petite :rolleyes1 so the chub rub would be enough for me to say NO DRESSES! Would you have comfortable shoes to wear with a dress? Getting off/on rides may present as a problem.
You just wear what you are comfortable wearing. Have Fun.

I love wearing summer dresses to the parks. I actually feel they are more comfortable in the summer. Sometimes it can be an issue on certain rides with low cars: space mountain, etc.

I think a lightweight loose fitting tank dress would be cooler than shorts/top and also more comfy. I can only think of a few rides where it might be an issue if it were short (but you could always wear biker shorts underneath ).
Knee or mid lenght would be perfect.

I'm taking several such dresses for my September trip and plan on wearing them most everywhere. Capris are more flattering than shorts (for me) but they can feel awful hot in humidity.

I've worn a cute little summer dress to WDW before and I was comfortable. It was very nice to get more a breeze everywhere instead of sweating in denim. Though, I'm not sure how good I am with clothing advice for "average" people (meaning, I have my BS in Fashion Merchandising and need to look fashionable 24/7 regardless of how good of a choice the outfit is). Wear what you are most comfortable in, also consider what kind of shoes you would wear with a dress.

Our trip is in October but, since all the summer clothes seem to be disappearing from the shops already, a bunch of us went out this weekend to look for stuff. I wanted shorts...after trying about a hundred pairs, I remembered there's a good reason I don't own any...they all looked awful.

So, plan B, I was thinking I could take dresses instead. Is that a really bad idea? Are there practical implications I haven't thought of? Would I look out of place? I'm thinking they'd be just as comfy/cool as shorts and a top. My only other option would be something capri-length. :confused3

Looking for some advice from those of you with more theme park/Florida weather experience than me. Thanks! :goodvibes

Well....I ALWAYS wear sundresses and skirts to WDW. To refer to the post above (LMFAOOOOOOO) The "chub rub" gets to me too but, not in dresses. Usually my thighs in shorts! ;) I wear things like this....
DSC_0072.jpg

I have never had any wardrobe malfunctions getting on and off of rides!
And skirts like this (maybe not quite as fluffy, but this style) with fitted men's tank tops. Cute with flip flops ;) And I stay really cool.

tieredpeasantskirt.jpg

AND remember, I love fashion in a huge way but at Disney your comfort is key. You'll look beautiful no matter what you wear as long as you are smiling and enjoying yourself :woohoo: Have fun! Sorry pics are so big:confused:

We saw lots of dresses on our trip last week. They probably aren't a bad idea and I think I'll be trying it next time myself!

The one thing I will NEVER understand is why on earth women wear wedge heeled sandles to WALK around a park all day. I mean really?!?!? :lmao: :confused3

(if any of you do this, I'm sorry, but I just don't understand! :rotfl: )

My DD wears a skirt like the one in the picture above and is always comfortable and never has a problem on rides.

Last trip I took a flowy sundress and bike shorts for underneath (the chaffing can be a trip ruining experience otherwise).

Not only was I the most comfortable I've EVER been, but the pics were pleasant. I was SOOOOOOOOOoooooooooo happy with the decision, that I just bought 3 more dresses just like it in different colors to take down there in October this year!

Best of luck!
H:hippie:

Last trip I took a flowy sundress and bike shorts for underneath (the chaffing can be a trip ruining experience otherwise).

Not only was I the most comfortable I've EVER been, but the pics were pleasant. I was SOOOOOOOOOoooooooooo happy with the decision, that I just bought 3 more dresses just like it in different colors to take down there in October this year!

Best of luck!

I am curious about the bike shorts. Due you coordinate the color with the dress/skirt? Are all bike shorts the same length? I've never worn bike shorts. I don't believe I've ever seen a pair up close, but my initial reaction was "girdle" yuck. Someone please enlighten me.

I have several pairs... light peach, white, grey, and black. I just wear whatever won't be obvious underneath the dress:) My dress is way too long to worry about anyone seeing them on accident. And if by some horrific something or another I end up flashing anyone... I'll be safe!

As for fit, I go for a size too small for my booty and thighs so that they are very much like second skin, without cutting into your waist. You do NOT want any bunching. Then you'd just be back to chaffing.

i only pack dresses and a few skirts mostly sports skirts makes packing easy with smaller amounts of clothes capris & shorts require a top too dresses are easy if weather cools in the evening i just throw on a a light jacket

I have always worn a few little cool dresses and skirts to the parks as well! I am pretty small/average size (4 to 6) but still don't like the way some shorts look on me in public. I'm over 40, and some outfits look silly on me!

I also have worn bike shorts (just simple cheap cotton ones) under some shorter dresses (A line ones).

I even used to always put my DD in cotton sundresses at WDW when she was little (not she won't wear them). She always looked very cool and comfortable.

You will definitely look nice! Plus this time of the year, you can probably get good sales!

Dresses can be much cooler than shorts even - and capris look nice but some folks remember - PANTY LINES - no no! I have to wear a thong under my khaki capris (okay, I know TMI) or I have panty lines. So a dress is nice I can wear my ugly plain cotton (but comfy) undies.

Another plus - no figuring out which top to wear with which shorts - just pop on the dress, slip into your sandals and go!

I am having a hard time trying to figure out how to add a couple of photos - can anyone help please? Thanks!

We saw lots of dresses on our trip last week. They probably aren't a bad idea and I think I'll be trying it next time myself!

The one thing I will NEVER understand is why on earth women wear wedge heeled sandles to WALK around a park all day. I mean really?!?!?

(if any of you do this, I'm sorry, but I just don't understand! )

OMG-last yr. I saw a lady in a black leather miniskirt and black stiletto boots- In August no less :scared1: Although it would have been equally offensive any time of year, it was 100 degrees out!!
I could not have even stood up in those shoes, let alone tour MK in them. And the kicker is that she was about 6' tall - without the boots!!:rotfl:Wow, was I perplexed by that one!

Maybe you could wear a pair of those shorts that are lightweight under a dress like what the cheerleaders wear under their skirts.

The one thing I will NEVER understand is why on earth women wear wedge heeled sandles to WALK around a park all day. I mean really?!?!? :lmao: :confused3

(if any of you do this, I'm sorry, but I just don't understand! :rotfl: )

Yeah, what is UP w/that???????:scared: My feet kill me after 2 days and I wear an alternation of coach sneakers (cute w/said dresseslol) and teva flip flops:sad2: ....What would feet feel like after walking the world showcase in 4inchers???????:sick:

I'm a huge fan of skorts/scooter skirts. They look very cute (just like a skirt) but have attached shorts underneath, so you don't have to worry about chafing on your thighs (which can be a problem with skirts/dresses).

Here's my bargain of the summer - I went to my local Sears store (Tacoma, Washington) last week, and found very cute skorts on clearance in the Misses section for (get this!) $1.79 each! That's not a typo - they were less than $2 each! The original price was about $28, so this is more than 90% off! Very cute styles; they have denim, twill in different colors, some with embroidered polka dots, etc. I "road tested" them at Las Vegas last week, and they were super comfortable, and much cuter than a regular pair of shorts. Go get 'em, before they run out!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter