Wearing dresses to the parks...crazy?

I would not suggest capri-length pants, October can still be EXTREMELY hot in Orlando! But also something to keep in mind with dresses is the possibility of going on water rides, cotton skirts when wet can stick to your legs very uncomfortably. Just something to think about!

I wear dresses and skirts all the time! They are comfy and cooler. The only attraction I found that I had to be careful with how I got on and off was Space Mountain. I also started wearing Nike pro bike shorts underneath, which are comfy and light weight, and prevent any unwanted chaffing. You can also buy BodyGlide, which is an anti-chaffing sport stick.

I wear dresses and skirts all the time! They are comfy and cooler. The only attraction I found that I had to be careful with how I got on and off was Space Mountain. I also started wearing Nike pro bike shorts underneath, which are comfy and light weight, and prevent any unwanted chaffing. You can also buy BodyGlide, which is an anti-chaffing sport stick.

This made me laugh and recall years ago going on Space Mountain in a dress. I had to tug it a bit to keep my modesty!

I know this originally was an old thread, but I just got back from a trip & brought at least 4 dresses. I did have one nice pair of "bike shorts" that are flesh colored (think Spanx type) for modesty is I knew it may be an issue.

I have found some adorable Charter Club brand ones from Macy's (now I own 6 in different patters) that are washable, hang to dry, that are super cute and flattering (shift type dresses, I'm not sure if they're polyester or a blend). Toss a light sweater on or in my purse & I'm set!

Also, now my DD wears dresses at the parks too sometimes.

OMG-last yr. I saw a lady in a black leather miniskirt and black stiletto boots- In August no less :scared1: Although it would have been equally offensive any time of year, it was 100 degrees out!!
I could not have even stood up in those shoes, let alone tour MK in them. And the kicker is that she was about 6' tall - without the boots!!:rotfl:Wow, was I perplexed by that one!
Reminds me of the episode of Modern Family when Gloria was walking around DL in heels, complaining about how her feet hurt. Then Jay bought her a pair of Minnie slippers and when she put them on she was so comfy she stopped yelling at everyone.

Wear a slip!! Especially if wearing a white single layer skirt. The horror.

Jockey for Her has a line of Slip Shorts. I haven't tried them yet. They were on sale at Target recently.

Zombie thread alert! This thread is from 2008.

Yeah... just gonna leave that here, but for those of you who had the same question, I'd just say be sure to wear something under your dress like shorts to prevent some major chafing. I managed to chafe in slacks in Greece, so the struggle is real!

I'm glad to see this thread come back to life. I was just thinking about the same issue...for a different reason: I want to look better standing next to princesses and such for M&Gs. ;-)

I'm glad to see this thread come back to life. I was just thinking about the same issue...for a different reason: I want to look better standing next to princesses and such for M&Gs. ;-)

IKR, I haven't even thought really about what I'm going to wear, but now I'm seriously considering wearing dresses (with shorts or something underneath them) because NO PANTS hahaha

But on a serious note, I feel like if I was going to wear a dress that I would want to wear tennis shoes or crocs for going around the parks because I can totally see myself getting blisters from wearing shoes that would actually go a bit better with any dresses that I own, ha-ha

I've always worn skirts and dresses to the parks, I'm super short and look terrible in shorts. Add in the fact that I always wear super high heels at home, my pants drag when wearing the wedge sandals and shoes I wear in the parks. I have always been super comfortable and LOVE LOVE LOVE bike shorts, I don't have to worry about a windy day or space mountain or even just helping someone pick something up that they dropped.

Almost daily at the parks I wear running type tank dresses made of dry wick material with bike shorts underneath. Looks perfectly fine with sneakers or flip flops and keeps me cool.

I had never worn a dress to the parks before our last trip but we were Disney Bounding several days and 3 of my outfits involved dresses/skirts. I was pleasantly surprised at how comfortable I was. We were there in early Nov so it was still pretty warm and I really don't like wearing shorts so the dresses really helped with that. With all of the dresses/skirts I wore bike shorts under them - none of them were particulalry short but you just never know how you're going to have to contort yourself to get on and off rides so I thought it was a good idea. I will prob work some dresses/skirts into my next trip...whenever that is.

I pretty much only wear dresses/skirts to Disney, not really comfortable in most shorts anyways. I HIGHLY suggest a pair of spandex shorts for underneath (also had a struggle finding these in a length I liked, everything in the women's section was booty short length, so I went over to the mens). They prevent chub rub, make getting in and out of rides easier, and wind/twirling doesn't become a problem either. As for shoes, flats are usually comfortable enough, but can be tight, I usually opt for Toms/some kind of knock of Toms that are broken in as they go with pretty much everything

I pretty much only wear dresses/skirts to Disney, not really comfortable in most shorts anyways. I HIGHLY suggest a pair of spandex shorts for underneath (also had a struggle finding these in a length I liked, everything in the women's section was booty short length, so I went over to the mens). They prevent chub rub, make getting in and out of rides easier, and wind/twirling doesn't become a problem either. As for shoes, flats are usually comfortable enough, but can be tight, I usually opt for Toms/some kind of knock of Toms that are broken in as they go with pretty much everything
Agree completely! I don't like the feel of spandex so I ended up getting some off Amazon that were a cotten blend (think short leggings). So thats an option too. I was actually really surprised at the variety of lengths I found. I got a pair of green ones to match a green dress for the day I Disney Bounded as Disgust that were a normal legging length and then some that were brown and bike short length to go with a dress I wore when I DB'd as Lady that were not visable under the dress. I also got some that were a nude color and hit right above the knee for the day I DB'd as Ariel; since my skirt was really long (think mermaid tail) it didn't matter that they came down that far.

I don't like the feel of spandex so I ended up getting some off Amazon that were a cotten blend (think short leggings).

This is a brilliant idea! I don't really feel like wearing biker shorts would help me so much since I am tall and long legged, but short leggings would probably be exactly what I need. Thanks! Going to add this to my Amazon list now!

This is a brilliant idea! I don't really feel like wearing biker shorts would help me so much since I am tall and long legged, but short leggings would probably be exactly what I need. Thanks! Going to add this to my Amazon list now!
Glad I could help! I was really comfortable in mine. :flower1:

I am planning all sundresses on my summer trip.
For thigh rub, I like boy short cut undies.

Proper bike shorts would add unnecessary layers

In the summer I have mostly worn sun dresses and golf skirts to the parks- super comfortable. Never once had an issue with chafing and I do a ton of walking!

I have 2 dresses I wear and love, both from old navy. 1 is a very light denim shift, and the other is a stretchy t shirt dress. Should have bought them in more colors, I prefer the dresses. I don't have problems with chafing though, my legs are the only skinny part of me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter