Week after Christmas- Onsite or Off?

AtlantaDisneyDreamer

DIS Veteran
Considering going the week after Christmas simply because with family plans and school schedules, I can't find any other time that works for us to be able to see the holiday decorations (putting us in the same boat with everyone else who travels that week and floods the parks).

So.....

I was initially thinking that it would make sense to do off site, although we nearly always stay on. I really hate staying anywhere I can't get a discount (paying rack rate just seems wrong). We have an AP so paying for parking is not an issue, and we will drive down, so we will have a car.

However, after looking at the nearby resorts at Disney Springs and Flamingo Crossing and a few others close to Disney, they all seem to be around $200+ a night, and some of them have resort fees and parking fees as well. I can stay at a value for around $185 plus tax.I know you get more room for your money at those off site places, but I really don't mind Disney's value resorts.

I am thinking now that sucking it up and just paying rack rate at a value might be better because then we get Disney transportation and 60+ days to book fastpasses, and we don't have to deal with traffic outside of the Disney bubble. With crowds like those who will be there that week, we might really need to be on site.

What would you do?

I don't think they've released discounts for that time yet so you could end up getting some sort of discount. I've also heard this is a very busy time to go, will you be there over New Years? I know that on-site will get priority if there are park closures to still get inside.

We would probably have to be there for New Year's. Not because I particularly want to, but because I just don't have enough time otherwise. We would probably do AK or Epcot on NYE. Might not want to brave MK crowds on that night.

Do they ever discount that week? I'm pretty sure historically that they don't offer discounts that week.

I think during that busy week you will be glad of emh and 60 day FP.

It's the most crowded week of the year. Just to avoid the epic traffic, I'd stay onsite if at all possible.

That's what I thought you guys might say. Might not be a bad idea to book a value now in case the values sell out. I can always cancel and book a discount, in the off chance that they are released.

Traffic will be backed up for miles trying to get into the park. Then by the time you get to the park, it might be closed to offsite guests. Stay onsite if you can and take Disney transportation.

I would vote for onsite. As others have noted, the traffic gets crazy that week and getting around can be slow and frustrating. If you can swing it, go for the onsite perks.

Do they actually do any discount for that wk? Right now we are off site for the majority of the stay starting from 15th Dec till 28th, with 5 nights onsite from 28th to 2nd. At CBR were getting the$75 A DAY gift card with that, making our room around $200 a night.

If there was a room discount ( we have AP's) on any moderate or is supposed deluxe as I need a room that sleeps 5, then I would definitely add nights before hand.
But I didn't think they ever did discount that wk?

I

Do they actually do any discount for that wk? Right now we are off site for the majority of the stay starting from 15th Dec till 28th, with 5 nights onsite from 28th to 2nd. At CBR were getting the$75 A DAY gift card with that, making our room around $200 a night.

If there was a room discount ( we have AP's) on any moderate or is supposed deluxe as I need a room that sleeps 5, then I would definitely add nights before hand.
But I didn't think they ever did discount that wk?
I don't think they have discounted that week ever since I've been following Disney discounts. I would not count on one.

That being said, if you are arriving on the 15th, I think that falls within the FD discount time period. Might want to check that out. If you arrive within the FD period, then you can get FD for the entire stay. At least, that is how it has worked in the past.

Agree 100% with PPs who suggest Onsite to avoid the traffic. While paying for parking may not be an issue for you, parking in and of itself may be. One PP mentioned the miles of traffic going into the parks during that week, and that alone is reason enough to stay onsite. You may or may not get a discount, but I think you'd be happier with your location onsite.

Agree 100% with PPs who suggest Onsite to avoid the traffic. While paying for parking may not be an issue for you, parking in and of itself may be. One PP mentioned the miles of traffic going into the parks during that week, and that alone is reason enough to stay onsite. You may or may not get a discount, but I think you'd be happier with your location onsite.

But the buses will have the same problems won't they? Except for them not having to actually park,
Won't it still be miles of traffic for them too?

But the buses will have the same problems won't they? Except for them not having to actually park,
Won't it still be miles of traffic for them too?
Nope. for the most part, the buses will be able to go down roads that the general public cannot. They can go through the back of the MK or Bear Island Road for two examples.

We have been for NYE and are going again next visit. An extremely busy time but we never felt the buses ran late last time we were there. We stayed at POR and the resort was so quiet and the buses ran without issue. I agree that it is so busy and bustling around the resorts and parks that onsite just seems like less of a hassle.

we have gone during this time period, definetly stay on site, we heard horror stories of 4, 6 hours to get back to your place NYE for off site stays! the buses do go a different route, never had a problem, avoid M K at all cost, Epcot is a blast but very noisy and crowded with a lot of people drinking! Starting around 6:pm they pass out top hats and horns and the whole place goes crazy, if you can imagine everyone blowing the horns all over the place! there are dance stations and loud music set up in various countries, the fireworks are awesome, you will need fast passes to get on anything! We bring blankets and set up our resting "station" on a patch of grass somewhere, as do a lot of other people! It's crazy, bot SO much fun!!

we have gone during this time period, definetly stay on site, we heard horror stories of 4, 6 hours to get back to your place NYE for off site stays! the buses do go a different route, never had a problem, avoid M K at all cost, Epcot is a blast but very noisy and crowded with a lot of people drinking! Starting around 6:pm they pass out top hats and horns and the whole place goes crazy, if you can imagine everyone blowing the horns all over the place! there are dance stations and loud music set up in various countries, the fireworks are awesome, you will need fast passes to get on anything! We bring blankets and set up our resting "station" on a patch of grass somewhere, as do a lot of other people! It's crazy, bot SO much fun!!

Oh no! That does not really sound like my idea of fun. :crazy2:

Ever since I settled down and had kids, masses of people making lots of noise does not sound fun to me. Maybe when the kids are older and I hit my second youth . . .

At that time of year, I would definitely stay on site if you plan on staying at the parks until close. It's a nightmare to navigate back to your car and the traffic is crazy! You may experience times where the parking lot is full or parks are closed for capacity. If you are coming in a car, you may be diverted elsewhere. Last year, I was able to get a discount up until 12/23 and then nothing. I have seen some travel agents with exclusive offers that go past 12/23 - do your research! My guess it is only 10-15% off. Also did you look at the Swan/Dolphin? I've been able to keep checking and get a better deal about 4-6 weeks prior to my trip (just don't forget to factor in the resort fee/parking fee).

I am thinking now that sucking it up and just paying rack rate at a value might be better because then we get Disney transportation and 60+ days to book fastpasses, and we don't have to deal with traffic outside of the Disney bubble. With crowds like those who will be there that week, we might really need to be on site.

What would you do?
Agree with your thinking here. Also remember 180+ ADRs can be very helpful at the time you are going.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter