We're half way there - JUNE WISH month of motivation

I wish I could get buy shopping the perimeter except they keep putting things like the raisins and the frozen fruits and vegetables in an aisle. Our growing season here is so short that most stuff is shipped in and if it is not in season you pay dearly for it to get it fresh so while we enjoy it when we can if we want raspberries for example in January it's get a bag of frozen or go without. Finished getting the rest of the garden in today. Still need to plant the rosemary and cilantro in containers, get the tomato and pepper plants put in along the edge of the house, and get the sunflowers that 10 year old picked out planted. Also looking at getting some raspberry bushes planted if the person from the homeschool group still has some to pick up this weekend. Gave my mom a call to let her know that my cousin's daughter had her baby today. Mom didn't even know she was expecting. I thought surly my uncle would have let her know he was going to be a great grandpa again at some point. It was all over facebook which my mom is not on but still it was not a big secret. I hadn't said anything because I thought she knew.

Topic Tuesday:
Do you feel like any part of your healthy journey has become a habit yet?

Yes and no. I cook a lot more and all of my recipes are healthy. i walk average of 15 000 steps a day for years.

But I also seem to have bad pattern of over doing it with exercise and my tracking isn't consistent. I think part of it is I keep listening to different podcast and some of it is helpful but some talk against what I have chosen as a method (calorie counting) and backfires.

It's strange to confess it but I still need to work on my habits.

Is a habit the same as a routine? As long as I am in a routine, I've got great habits! I'm in the habit of now putting fruit on my morning oatmeal instead of brown sugar. I think I would do it even if I was out of my usual morning routine. It's such a habit now to log all my food in MFP. Sometimes it's a very ugly habit! I'm in the habit of knowing when I need more steps and checking the pedometer early enough to get them in. I'm still working on my evening additional exercises. They are far from habit! I've been getting up early and going to the gym for decades now, so I guess that's a habit! Gotta tell ya tho, I overslept this morning! I don't know if I didn't set my alarm or turned it off and fell back asleep without remembering doing that. First time in a very long time that's happened. DH says I messed him up; I was still asleep beside him so he knew it must not be time to get up yet. oopsy Did get some yardwork in tonight and a walk with a neighbor, so that kinda makes up for it. Kinda!

It is also not helping that I have picked up some type of virus.

I too have a touch of something and it has been enough to stop me from getting out of bed early to try and fit a short walk in - especially as we are in winter here and it is dark and cool - I woke up the other morning laid there thinking about it but then started coughing - so it was an easy no way i'm staying in bed for a bit longer.

But he said my goal of 5 miles a day is too much, as is my 10,000 steps/day. Suggested using the exercise bike instead, but I tried it today, and my knee wouldn't bend to do it, so I'll wait until the PT and just keep walking - if it makes the replacement come sooner, so be it. I've come too far health-wise to stop.

Sorry the news wasn't better for your knees. Now that it is summer for you - is there a pool nearby that you could walk/swim in? The water will relieve the pressure on your knees as you will be pretty much weightless plus you get a good workout from walking against the pressure of the water.

I suffer from two-week-itis. When trying to make a new behavior habit, I can't seem to get past the two week mark, I'm good till then, but without fail day 15 I start to slip back in to the old routine. The second video of the pre-21-day-cleanse program is about habits, so I'm hoping I'll pick something up from it.

Maybe it is trying to follow the old routine whilst trying to create a new habit within that - that gets in the way - if that makes sense - It is said to shake up your routine and add different cues to trigger a new habit forming.

I'm only on week 9 of my health/weight-loss journey, so I know the real challenges are ahead of me. In the past, I haven't been able to make it past 14 weeks on a diet, so getting past that milestone is going to be the biggest thing for me. I think if I can make it to week 15, I'll be able to continue on from there and start really making some of the changes I'm making into lifelong ones.

14 weeks on a DIET can be excruciating as once we assign the term DIET we associate deprivation and all the things we can't eat. Although when you look up the definition it is firstly defined as "the kinds of food that a person, animal, or community habitually eats." Wow there is that word habit again. So I guess I am saying don't tell yourself it is a diet - be adventurous try new foods and switch up your food prep, eating routine to support new habits forming. I have disliked bananas for a LONG time - but they are a simple, easy to grab fruit and over the last year I have adjusted my taste to where I can now easily buy a banana as a quick go to for a snack that can come with me and I will eat without having to put it in a fridge - when I thought about that it is really thinking back to my early parenting days and knowing that it can take time for kids to develop and accept the taste/texture of new foods. Hang in there I am sure you will make it that 15 week goal you have in mind.

I know that my worst enemy is emotional stress. I've tried to talk to the regular sources of that stress. While they might listen when I say something, I know they don't quite understand the effects they have on me and how I view myself. One of said sources decided to fight with me for six hours (two separate arguments) on Saturday last weekend. I managed not to break my diet plan due to it, but it was really rough. It also took time away from my prep-work for my upcoming art sale, so I'm now even /more/ behind. Urgh.

:hug: Good for you for sticking to your food plan and not giving in to those stressed feelings. You may not be able to fight it every time but if you can shift from giving in every time you are on your way :-)

The one thing that I have noticed as a habit is how I grocery shop now. It feels so weird to shop the aisles. My habit now is just shopping the perimeter for fresh stuff and only venturing down the aisles to the processed stuff for DH's special requests and dried spices -- and occasionally over to the frozen area for Halo Top Ice Cream. :rolleyes1

However ... the exercise portion of my journey still does not feel like a habit. I mean it's in my schedule and it happens, but I have plenty of days with ZERO motivation that feel like I am struggling to make it part of my life. Of course I feel good about it after the fact, but jeeze, I WISH that was a habit as it's the one thing I've been doing the longest!

Ice - Cream everyone needs there favorite treat at times - everything in moderation! You are really inspirational to me - I am sooo glad to hear about how you are achieving your goals - I hope you are proud of yourself and celebrate your success - a healthy celebration of course!

It's strange to confess it but I still need to work on my habits.

You definitely are not alone with working on your habits/routines constantly - as with anything we do - new research of theories come around and we just need to look at them critically and decide how that works/does not work for us.

Is a habit the same as a routine? As long as I am in a routine, I've got great habits! I'm in the habit of now putting fruit on my morning oatmeal instead of brown sugar. I think I would do it even if I was out of my usual morning routine. It's such a habit now to log all my food in MFP. Sometimes it's a very ugly habit! I'm in the habit of knowing when I need more steps and checking the pedometer early enough to get them in. I'm still working on my evening additional exercises. They are far from habit! I've been getting up early and going to the gym for decades now, so I guess that's a habit! Gotta tell ya tho, I overslept this morning! I don't know if I didn't set my alarm or turned it off and fell back asleep without remembering doing that. First time in a very long time that's happened. DH says I messed him up; I was still asleep beside him so he knew it must not be time to get up yet. oopsy Did get some yardwork in tonight and a walk with a neighbor, so that kinda makes up for it. Kinda!

Habit is a recurrent, often unconscious action that is acquired through frequent repetition.
Habits create a routine.

Routine is made of a set of habits.
Routine is a set of customary or unchanging and often unconsciously performed activities or procedures.

Habits are hard to change.
Routine can be changed to form new habits.

I would say that for myself a bad habit has been to automatically buy junk food takeout e.g. McDonalds etc if I am buying lunch at work - In the past I have seriously just driven there AUTOMATICALLY without making the conscious decision to do so and to make it worse would do it several days in a row! I am fighting that habit - I still automatically associate it with work lunch if I have forgotten my homemade one - but I am using self-talk to fight it.

The last couple of nights I have tried something new to help my step count when it is low - whilst cooking dinner instead of sitting down watching tv between monitoring/stiring etc I have been doing laps around the lounge room. It has helped me achieve my step goals!

Welcome to WOOHOO WEDNESDAY...

200w.webp

What are you celebrating - is it health related, work related, family related - just plane YOU related??? Big or Small we will celebrate it all.

I am not very woohooey today. I am even more congested today and mad that it is getting in the way of my walking in the morning. I can woohoo that school is out for the summer and I no longer have to drop the kids off before work. Also, I have dropped a pound since Sunday/Monday. So I am doing good I just really need this cold to go away so i can keep on track.

Looking back I had this same type of cold about a year and a half ago. This was the start of my down fall. I had just lost 10 pounds in a year. I was really sick for 3 weeks and couldn't really do anything. Just getting to work was a chore. Then as soon as I got better it was Christmas so a couple more weeks of being out of my routine. Then in about a year I gained all 10 pounds back. I am determined that this will not happen this time.

Woo hoo -- the cortisone shot has removed nearly ALL my knee pain. I've been nearly giddy -- at least 2 people at work have said how much better I seem, and happier. I told my boss (an emergency room physician) that I hadn't realized how much the pain had been weighing me down -- it was almost depressing. He was really shocked to see how much better I'm walking in just 24 hours after the shot.

He did tell me that while I shouldn't increase what I'm doing exercise-wise, I shouldn't cut back on what I'm currently doing. It was a relief, because it's permission to do what I'd kinda planned to do anyway.

Woohoo!

Also two weeks away from vacation!!! And yesterday I finally got a roommate to share the hotel room and costs... saving me about $500! She's a knitwear designer and I actually have several of her patterns so it'll be fun to meet her. I think I'm going to knit up one of her hats to take with me, as they recommend having a knit hat to wear in case it gets chilly. This weekend I need to go looking for rain pants and possibly a brimmed rain hat as well. This picture of Cordova kind of gives me chills, and makes me very happy.

upload_2018-6-6_7-55-29.png

I am WooHooing 3 weeks until the end of term 2 here - that means about a 2 week break for me. It will be a busy 3 weeks to get there - I have lots to get through at work and the kids have lots of assignments and exams in this time - but I am starting to look forward to getting there.

Today I feel my years of trying are paying off.
Sometimes information overload can be bad thing. Example Phit and Phat lobbies not counting calories and also not snacking. The reality is when I follow dr yoni eat every 3.5 hours advise I feel best and calorie counting is my thing. Both are valid, but I need to keep focus on what works for me!

I am working in office for next two days
Breakfast - natural greek yogurt with a lot of raspberries
Lunch - I made potatoes chicken veg chorizo bake few days ago and bag of baby tomatoes
Snack - egg & ham & mushroom muffins + cucumber
I am feeling pecking and in need of flavor - I made roasted spicy chickpeas and have 85 calories worth pre portioned

Time to pack food for two days - 5 minutes. Time to add on MFP about 2. That's all right with me :). Defo dont' feel the need to stop tracking.. This is all food apart form dinner added for 3 days!

What do you think about this line
"we unconsciously know the rules of the game"

in terms of weight loss this would be we know exactly why we aren't where want to be and exactly what we need to do but we over complicate things as we don't want to commit to long term change. If over eating is the issue, instead of committing not to it's easy to complicate things and come up with on and off diets. It's true for me. I know why is it hard at times as I still struggle letting go and committing to the long term changes.

I think I unconsciously AND consciously know what I SHOULD be doing - and yes we complicate things but then again healthy journey and life in general can be complicated and overwhelming sometimes. Especially when we have spent years off track - we have to remember it will also take time to change tracks ...

Baby steps have been a good idea. The first day I went well past my goal and thought "Wooohoo!". The second day I was soooo sore and just barely made my goal. Boo-hoo! ;)

Third day, a bit above goal and a bit sore. Fourth day, not sore, went above goal. Fifth day a bit sore. Sixth day, not sore. Moral of the story: stick to the baby steps!! :)

Is there something you are looking forward to doing related to your healthy journey this summer when you have more time and warmer weather?

Yes. DH and I are going to San Diego in July. I have a 4-day conference for my job, and we're arriving a day early and leaving 3 days after. I'm actually looking forward to going on the beach, and taking walks on the coast (Coronado Island).

Also, love the warmer weather when we can grill outside. I will put anything in my grill pan and eat it -- lots of great veggies, shrimp, whatever's in the fridge.

in terms of weight loss this would be we know exactly why we aren't where want to be and exactly what we need to do but we over complicate things as we don't want to commit to long term change. If over eating is the issue, instead of committing not to it's easy to complicate things and come up with on and off diets. It's true for me. I know why is it hard at times as I still struggle letting go and committing to the long term changes.
100% agree... I know what to do, I'm just not doing it. I do think examining the history that got me to this place is important to unravel, but it shouldn't get in the way.

Is there something you are looking forward to doing related to your healthy journey this summer when you have more time and warmer weather?

Yes.. first thing up is my goal for June of feeling better for my Alaska trip, so I can do some hiking and exploring while I'm there. I'm down to the wire now and haven't made much progress, but I know that just a couple days of clean eating can make a big different, so I haven't thrown in the towel yet.

There's a new place that opened up in my neighborhood that I've been curious about, and this morning I finally thought to check out their website... it's a spiritual-based healing clinic and one of the services they offer is NAET. BINGO! I did NAET about 10 years ago and had great success with it: its an acupuncture based allergy desensitization protocol, where you start with kinetic testing to see what groups of allergens you respond to. I'm so excited! It'll help me to confirm whether or not I'm sensitive to some of the things I think I am and will also help me get over those sensitivities. There's a possibility I may be able to get an appointment this evening!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter