What to/ What to NOT bring with you

snowwhitegirl

Earning My Ears
Just a helpful thread for some of you who have not been to Disney since September 11. All of the parks have instituted Bag Checks. Any bag (this includes backpacks, belt packs, purses, coolers, merchandise bags, camera bags) being carried into a park is inspected by Security outside the turnstiles.
To make the process go faster, here are hints from an actual Disney Security Cast Member (Me)
1. Have all your bags open before you reach the security cast member
2. If the bag is PACKED full, pull some things out
3. Disney security is not permitted to unzip or touch bags so you need to move things around
4. You do NOT need to remove belt packs, just unzip them while wearing them
5. You also do not need to explain everything in your bag, we are searching for things that we do not want in the park including glass bottles and jars (only baby food is permitted), alcohol, guns (NO guns are permitted in the parks...this includes cops and federal agents), large knives, etc.... We can see alot in a quick glance so you do not need to explain that you have glasses, a billfold, lipstick, a camera...we're aware what they look like.
6. Pull along bags and wagons are not permitted
7. On the subject of food, we have seen some weird stuff...half eaten turkey legs, microwave dinners (the sun does get hot in Florida but not that hot)...some food is fine (sandwiches, candy bars) but some is just not practical.
8. Finally, BE NICE to us....this is a very repetitive and boring job. Standing all day and looking in alot of bags is not fun and not the choice career for any of us.

Thank-you for the awsome info! A lot of posters have been wondering about the New Security Checks,this info will definitly be of help.

Thanks too,for the reminder to be Polite! We all are on new ground,these days.

Thank you, our last trip was the end of Aug. so we missed being there on the Sept. 11 attack by a few days. I appreciate you posting this!

Emmy:) :D

EXCUSE ME?? I HOPE YOU ARE MISTAKEN ABOUT STROLLES???
PLEASE TELL ME YOU ARE?
I JUST BOUGHT A NICE STROLLER TO BRING WITH ME.

EXCUSE ME?? I HOPE YOU ARE MISTAKEN ABOUT STROLLES???
PLEASE TELL ME YOU ARE?
I JUST BOUGHT A NICE STROLLER TO BRING WITH ME.

OH NO
:confused:

I second that disneydreamerinny! :)

FYI,

I am going in May, and if I board my dogs in the TTC kennel, and I happen to get a turkey leg, and dont finish it, (which I usually dont), I am wrapping that sucker up and taking it to my dog regardless of any bag check or what the security thinks. I paid the 4.25 for it, and I will gladly let me dog have it. He loves them. :)

As long as I pay my hard earned money and stay on the WDW property and spend my money in their parks, I can take out half eaten food if I want to. Just hold your nose when I come through your line. :)

No offense, but had to speak my mind.

I don't want to jump in the middle of a debate, but I'm pretty sure that the security checks are on the way INTO the park, so if you are taking a half eaten turkey leg to the dog, no one will see it. As far as "weird food", remember that Disney rules are that no food is to be taken into the parks (except for baby food and maybe special food for medical conditions). I think what the original poster was trying to say is that they can overlook the kinds of food commonly brought into the park, but it's harder to overlook the less common things.

I think that by stroller, she meant a bag that you pull on wheels. Not a stroller that you put a child in.

sorry if I caused some controversy with my original post, my computer has been down and I FINALLY got it running again.
I didn't mean that strollers aren't allowed...pull behind luggage is not permitted as well as pull behind wagons for kids. It seems like a great option to put the kids and all the necessary stuff in a wagon but for safety reasons, nothing pull behind is allowed.
That's fine to take your turkey leg to your dog, I take food home with me when I get full but I sometimes see several day old food in a bag first thing in the morning.
You are right that technically food is not permitted but we all tend to look past it because it is such an expensive vacation that it's important to save money where possible, I even carry in my own PBJ's and a bottle of diet coke
Generally, unless there is something questionable or made of glass, your search will go quite smoothly.
Sorry again if I was misunderstood before!

Originally posted by snowwhitegirl
sorry if I caused some controversy with my original post, my computer has been down and I FINALLY got it running again........................Sorry again if I was misunderstood before!

No, we should be sorry for jumping all over someone trying to give us very helpful and much needed advice. I even read it again and I can't understand the controversy. Keep up the good work - I will see you in May.... Thanks!

The Security Guards at Disney were always cheerful and nice to us every day of our trip in October and I always tried to extra special nice to them in return.

I saw some people get angry with them and roll their eyes when asked to open their bags,

This is the world we live in now since Sept. 11 and I for one do not mind at all when there is extra security. I actually thanked them for checking my bag and told them they were doing a great job.

So when you get your bags checked, thanks them for ensuring your safety and wish them a great day.....;)

I read where wagons or pullbehind luggage was permitted. Does this include backpacks with wheels? You see so many of those everywhere, and I was considering using one this year. Last year I used one of those small folding luggage carts to "tote" our two backpacks and an small ice chest, and it was very convenient since I'm the only adult traveling with 3 children. I never pulled it inside the parks. I would go straight to the stroller rental, load all my bags onto the stroller, fold the cart and load it too, along with one or two kids and away we'd go!!

Backpacks with wheels are technically NOT permitted but depending who you go to, they may let it go. I know that alot of pin traders at Epcot use the pull behinds to haul their massive amounts of pins and for some reason, management lets it go because 99.999% of these people go right for pin central.
You may see people pulling them behind but to make less of a hassle for yourself, it would be better just to load everything in the stroller.

We were there 11/2001 and had no problems going through security. We just left a few minutes earlier to get to the parks and had our camera cases/bags open when we reached the security checkpoint. Were always treated courteously and often reminded that those that had no bags to check could walk right in.

Here are 2 tips; Pack 1 bag with several small ziplocks inside, that way security can check it quickly (Diapers and wipes in 1, change of clothes in 1, snacks in 1, etc.), also open all bags and pockets as soon as you hit the table. Found each differed in their search -some chatted away and it was quick, others searched every single pocket and made us pull things out, one even made my DD 13 come back because she had put her purse down and then picked it up before he had a chance to look. Very easy process and everyone was polite.

Thanks for all the tips snowywhitegirl..Your suggestions and tips were concise and courteous...

I am soooo glad that someone is there to do such a tedious job to keep us all safe! Especially at a place that if full of children and families.

I know it is really hard to wait in a line and go through a search sometimes but, what would we do without you!

I'm more than happy to know you're there.

Thank You,
Rooth:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter