Where do you think DVC resale prices are headed?

I think it depends upon the economy. Right now the programs to keep people employed are ending and some industries are planning massive layoffs. If the economy starts to sink then so will the prices. Whats makes this harder than 08 is more artificial stabilization is taking place but the question is will it continue or end at the end of the month.

When are they going up and how much are the going up?
I think its september 16 and it's basically the incentives for AU, CCV and RR will go away. However I think they are planning to increase blue card minimum and figure they can get people that way. What they fail to realize is those that will buy direct will buy direct and those who want resale will buy resale.

What they fail to realize is those that will buy direct will buy direct and those who want resale will buy resale.

You see all the time "I am going to buy direct for a single contract then the rest resale". Disney is just getting a bigger check out of people. The people passing they feel will be made up for by people adding the extra 25 points (possibly then 50 to get to discounts).

Doesn't matter because you see what their long term plan is for resale with Riviera.

You see all the time "I am going to buy direct for a single contract then the rest resale". Disney is just getting a bigger check out of people. The people passing they feel will be made up for by people adding the extra 25 points (possibly then 50 to get to discounts).

Doesn't matter because you see what their long term plan is for resale with Riviera.
Very disappointed in the resale restrictions there. I considered an add on there...still tugging at me but the restrictions for resale really bother me. I think for resale purposes CCV is the better direct buy and those who want RR should look resale in a year. If resale prices are decent in a year or two I might pick up a small contract there. I still am concerned of RR owners being locked out in the 11 month window.

Very disappointed in the resale restrictions there. I considered an add on there...still tugging at me but the restrictions for resale really bother me. If resale prices are decent in a year or two I might pick up a small contract there.

It was a combination of resale restrictions and the high MFs that held me back. If one or the other was better then I probably would have bought direct Riviera. I would consider a low low resale of RIV with the idea that I would only hold on to it for a little while.

Very disappointed in the resale restrictions there. I considered an add on there...still tugging at me but the restrictions for resale really bother me. I think for resale purposes CCV is the better direct buy and those who want RR should look resale in a year. If resale prices are decent in a year or two I might pick up a small contract there. I still am concerned of RR owners being locked out in the 11 month window.

Ask yourself this question how much more per point will CCV sell for than RIV?

Got it?

Right now there is a $25/point savings on RIV over CCV. That means up front you are pocketing $2.5k on 100 points, $3.75k on 150 points, or $7.5k on 300 points. You can now compare.

Personally maybe there is a $50/point swing? So I would have kept 7.5k now to in 20 years sell for less.

If at some future time its a hard to book 11 month window I can either start walking reservations (doubt it ever gets fixed), use one of my 2 fixed weeks for studios, and typically book a 2BR (which I doubt becomes hard to book but could always shrink to a 1BR).

Also all the resort will be open to us allowing us to still move at 7 months (just like that CCV contract which already has issues with studios per reports).

Ask yourself this question how much more per point will CCV sell for than RIV?

Got it?

Right now there is a $25/point savings on RIV over CCV. That means up front you are pocketing $2.5k on 100 points, $3.75k on 150 points, or $7.5k on 300 points. You can now compare.

Personally maybe there is a $50/point swing? So I would have kept 7.5k now to in 20 years sell for less.

If at some future time its a hard to book 11 month window I can either start walking reservations (doubt it ever gets fixed), use one of my 2 fixed weeks for studios, and typically book a 2BR (which I doubt becomes hard to book but could always shrink to a 1BR).

Also all the resort will be open to us allowing us to still move at 7 months (just like that CCV contract which already has issues with studios per reports).

It makes sense if you are buying that many points and get the larger discount. At the smaller number of say 100 pts the math didn’t work for me especially given the high MFs. For what it’s worth I also wasn’t interested in CCV because of the studio issue and just not my favorite decor albeit at Christmas it would be nice. Idk, maybe if I thought RIV resale would stabilize around $135 but not sure it will in the long run and so combining that with the high MFs made it riskier if I sell in say 15 yrs. At least that was my thought process. I do like the resort though and have considered a direct purchase of SSR or AKL so I could book RIV at 7 months and get other blue card benefits.
* I may rerun the RIV numbers with a guaranteed week at a studio and see what I get.

Last edited:
I agree RR is beautiful, but indo not need nor want more than 100 points there as we are already at around 1000. If the incentives were for 100 points I would probably have purchased there to have utilized every other year for a 1 bedroom. If booking 1 and 2 beds there should not be a problem. My question is 10 years down the road where maybe 50 percent is now resale - I remeber a survey somewhere that said on average most keep their dvc 10 years- what will happen to the resale buyers if they cannot book other resorts and are closed out of RR. I think this will affect studios the most. Direct buyers will be able to book anywhere. I am not certain dvc can implement that policy in the legacy resorts because of the overpriced and high point cabins and bungalows at CCV and poly. RR does not have those thank goodness

I agree RR is beautiful, but indo not need nor want more than 100 points there as we are already at around 1000. If the incentives were for 100 points I would probably have purchased there to have utilized every other year for a 1 bedroom. If booking 1 and 2 beds there should not be a problem. My question is 10 years down the road where maybe 50 percent is now resale - I remeber a survey somewhere that said on average most keep their dvc 10 years- what will happen to the resale buyers if they cannot book other resorts and are closed out of RR. I think this will affect studios the most. Direct buyers will be able to book anywhere. I am not certain dvc can implement that policy in the legacy resorts because of the overpriced and high point cabins and bungalows at CCV and poly. RR does not have those thank goodness

It has been reported that on average, only about 20% of owners are resale...the rest remain direct,

Lots of resale contracts out there are indeed, prior resale owners, so one can’t look at that. I myself bought and sold resale contacts so the new owners of those would not be adding to the number,

I also think that those buying RIV may indeed hold on longer to contracts because of the potential lower value..,so it remains to be seen if the original buyers of RiV sell as the same rate,

I still am surprised that RIV resale has gotten the prices it has. I never expected that, even at the beginning. I figured we’d see much lower prices to start.

I was listening to a podcast and they said CCV is the only resort where resale contract points can be used to stay at Riviera, is that true? I was under the impression all resale contracts after a certain date could not be used at RR.

I was listening to a podcast and they said CCV is the only resort where resale contract points can be used to stay at Riviera, is that true? I was under the impression all resale contracts after a certain date could not be used at RR.
That is not correct. If you buy resale points today...
RR resale points can only stay at RR.
All other resale points can stay at all resorts, with the exception of RR. Non RR resale can not stay at RR.

I think you misunderstood. Ccv and RR are still selling direct. Of the two when sold on resale, ccv can book any resort except RR. Rr resale in contrast can only book RR or trade into RCI direct points can book any resort anywhere

That is not correct. If you buy resale points today...
RR resale points can only stay at RR.
All other resale points can stay at all resorts, with the exception of RR. Non RR resale can not stay at RR.
I think you misunderstood. Ccv and RR are still selling direct. Of the two when sold on resale, ccv can book any resort except RR. Rr resale in contrast can only book RR or trade into RCI direct points can book any resort anywhere
This was my understanding as well, but second guess myself when seemingly someone with more knowledge says otherwise. It's why I always come back here for the correct answers! Thanks!

I can’t believe the prices of small contracts. I am seeing more smaller contracts up for sale. They go pending super fast, I can’t believe people are willing to pay those prices.
I tell you my 2 cents opinion on these small contracts; in many cases (my own for example), I thought I would 'save money' buying a small one (I started my addiction with a 90 pointer). What often happens (and happenned to me) is 'addonitis'.. For example, instead of a single 200 point, you buy 2 100 point contracts. As a result you might just wind up paying more per point, more in transaction costs & have more headaches managing too many contracts for the exact same number of points versus simply buying 2 small ones instead of 1 big one. Just something for buyers out there to think about

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter