Who drives to WDW

We will be driving down from New Jersey next weekend. We usually stop in South Carolina on the way down and on the way back. We drove last December with a 4 month old and stopped every couple of hours for bathroom breaks, gas, food or to switch drivers, etc... We take things slow and look at the drive as part of the trip. The baby was excellent in December, but we're keeping our fingers crossed this time!

We are driving down next week from NJ. I've only flown 1 time and have driven down 5 times. We can't check into our place until 3pm so we usually leave between 8-10 at night. Stop along the way for gas. In the morning eat at a waffle house and go to Daytona beach for a few hours before heading to our resort. Spend the first day there relaxing - buying groceries and then the next day we hit the parks. Very excited about going next week. We have 2 children ages 2 & 4 and this will be their first time going. :banana:

We always drive, it's just more fun for us. We have been fortunate enough to live close to Florida as well which helps.

We are military and we have always been stationed either here in SC or in GA. We, of course, prefer GA since we are only 20 minutes from Jacksonville and 3 hours from Disney but hey 6 hours isn't bad either.

Even if we lived farther then this I think we would still drive as long as we live on the east coast. We all have a good time in the car on the way down and it's good family time.

We leave around 10 am and get there just in time for check-in.

We've driven from Maryland three times. On the way down we stop in Brunswick, GA for the night and drive the rest of the way the next morning. We usually stop in South Carolina on the way back. However, for the past four times we have taken the Auto Train down and back. It goes from Lorton, VA to Sanford, FL and back each day. It leaves Lorton at about 4:00 pm and arrives in Sanford the next morning about 9:00 am. That way we still have our minivan with us and get to relax on the way down and on the way back.

We are driving down on Saturday, me, DW, and kids 7-5-4. We've done this trip many times when the kids were younger (and one less, for that matter) and the trip is pretty easy with the babies.

I'm hoping this one will go well. We're driving from North DE, about 17 hours at 60 mph straight through without stopping. We will need frequent stops now that I have potty-trained yung-uns with me. We usually stop around Savannah GA, but that is because we normally leave around 10 AM. We're going to leave at 6 AM this time and get to Orlando in one shot, stay overnight in a Hojo's or something, then wake up in Orlando, take our bags to our resort, drop them off, and get to the parks!

We bring coloring books and movies, which takes us most of the way there. We'll have to think of more now that the kids are older, maybe some backseat crafting things. We'll see what happens, wish us luck!

We will be driving down from New Jersey next weekend. We usually stop in South Carolina on the way down and on the way back. We drove last December with a 4 month old and stopped every couple of hours for bathroom breaks, gas, food or to switch drivers, etc... We take things slow and look at the drive as part of the trip. The baby was excellent in December, but we're keeping our fingers crossed this time!

Where in NJ? We just returned on 2/27. We have 3 children - 13, 9 & %, and all of them were great. We have driven before, so they are used to it! Have fun on your trip & be sure to give Mickey a big kiss for me!:love:

We are considering driving from NC, and I thought that sounded :scared1: .

I don't know how some of y'all from way up North do it! :upsidedow

The ride going is not so bad but coming home . . well, another story!:scared1:

The ride going is not so bad but coming home . . well, another story!:scared1:
isnt that the truth! i drive 1100 miles, from pa to fl. going down. coming home, i drive every other state and my dw drives the others. we end up sleeping when its not our turn to drive. good thing dd stays awake to keep the drive company.:thumbsup2

I think that the further I get away form Disney:drive: , the happiness is sucked right out of me!:sick:

We will be leaving sept 13 around 6 or 7pm from bucks county,pa! we were going to take the train but can't imagine ds2(and a half lol) being on a train.. hes a bit of a handful... were hoping to be there by 3 the next day! hope we're all still talking by the time we get there lol:rotfl:

Where in NJ? We just returned on 2/27. We have 3 children - 13, 9 & %, and all of them were great. We have driven before, so they are used to it! Have fun on your trip & be sure to give Mickey a big kiss for me!:love:

We are in Brick...Ocean County. We have driven before, but December was the first time with the baby. He was pretty good and Baby Einstein helped ALOT!!!

I would love to know if anyone has driven I-10 lately. We will be hitting it soon and was curious if there are any bad spots - road construction, detours, etc. Though we have a navigation system, it does not update automatically - it's a pre-programmed disk.

has anyone driven int95 south from the northeast lately? any major construction?

Drove down (non- 95) and drove back (all 95) in April. Some construction in Jacksonville area, but not bad. Getting around NYC was rough, but you won't have that, lucky you. We left 6 p.m. Saturday eve and drove thru the night, so traffic wasn't really an issue. If you're AAA, I would definately check into that and their travel/construction reports.

Drove down (non- 95) and drove back (all 95) in April. Some construction in Jacksonville area, but not bad. Getting around NYC was rough, but you won't have that, lucky you. We left 6 p.m. Saturday eve and drove thru the night, so traffic wasn't really an issue. If you're AAA, I would definately check into that and their travel/construction reports.
thanks, that jacksonville construction has been on going for 30 years. the only place we ever seem to have a problem is 15 miles from home on 78. the good old leigh valley, the parking lot of the east!!thanks again!:thumbsup2

You guys are making our upcoming drive sound not so bad! ::yes:: We have a 12 hour drive ahead of us. We just couldn't pay the obscene airfare. We won't have the kids with us on this trip so it shouldn't be too bad and it will give DH some quality time together. We plan on leaving in the wee hours of the morning and driving straight through.

I can't remember if I posted to this thread or not, but we will be driving from Houston in a week or so. It will take us about 15 hours I think.

You guys are making our upcoming drive sound not so bad! ::yes:: We have a 12 hour drive ahead of us. We just couldn't pay the obscene airfare. We won't have the kids with us on this trip so it shouldn't be too bad and it will give DH some quality time together. We plan on leaving in the wee hours of the morning and driving straight through.
:thumbsup2 thats the only way to do it. we drive straight through on the way home. we leave old key west res at 3:30am and pull into our driveway at 7:30pm. it sounds long but its not bad. we even have friends of ours (the people who would never drive) following us again this year. its funny she does all the driving and she stays about 1 foot off my rear bumper all the way down and all the way home. have fun and be safe.:thumbsup2

We are leaving in 7 days and driving it will be about 16 1/2 hours we are coming from New Castle, PA.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter