Who drives to WDW

We are driving from Pgh. First time to drive . We will leave Fridday Sept 12 and drive to N Carolina, stay w/ friends and then leave for disney early Sunday Sept 14th.

We live right outside of Charlotte, NC and drive there every time we go. We try to leave early to make it past Jacksonvilles rush hour traffic! LOL ;)

You guys are making our upcoming drive sound not so bad! ::yes:: We have a 12 hour drive ahead of us. We just couldn't pay the obscene airfare. We won't have the kids with us on this trip so it shouldn't be too bad and it will give DH some quality time together. We plan on leaving in the wee hours of the morning and driving straight through.

Be careful driving through Jasper! There are more car accidents per capita in Jasper, Alabama than anywhere else in the state. Its seems that a lot of drivers like to switch over 4 lanes of traffic to be right in front of your car, and then slam on their brakes and come to a complete stop.

In other news Corridor X (I22) is almost complete.

Okay question about Jacksonville. coming down end of June. DH is convinced that we must take the bypass around the city, he says it saves time and trouble. So does it?

We live right outside of Charlotte, NC and drive there every time we go. We try to leave early to make it past Jacksonvilles rush hour traffic! LOL ;)

How long is the drive from charlotte to disney? We will be leaving Fort Braggs and going to Disney On a Sunday Sept 14th in the morning. Just wondering how early we should leave.

How long is the drive from charlotte to disney? We will be leaving Fort Braggs and going to Disney On a Sunday Sept 14th in the morning. Just wondering how early we should leave.

Not sure about Charlotte, but I live 20 mins from Raleigh and it takes us 9 hours, that is only making one stop - for gas.

We are dring from Kent Island , MD. I figure it will take us about 14-15 hrs including potty breaks and a quick lunch. 95 here we come!:moped:

We'll be driving from OK to FL with a stop in MS to see family. The only time we have flown was when we lived in AZ. If we are within 20 hours....we're driving. We're a family of six so the cost of airfare is really prohibitive and we have family we can stay with at the 1/2 way mark which makes it even more economical for us to drive. :)

Okay question about Jacksonville. coming down end of June. DH is convinced that we must take the bypass around the city, he says it saves time and trouble. So does it?
we only used that bypass once. it takes you way out of the way. we never had a problem going through jacksonville (knock on wood) but we never hit it at rush hours. if you get there and its not rush hour, go for it!! we do the same in richmond, we go through int95, so far so good.

we drove from Columbus, Ohio a couple of years ago and we are doing it again in Sept. Took us about 15 hours, but since we left at 3 am the kids were sleeping most of the time. I have found that a large cooler with little milks and juice boxes goes along way on these trips.

We always drive. We live in MS and it only takes 10-11 hours if traffic is good. Coming back we always spend most of the last day at the park, drive three hours and stop for the night. The home the next day. Kind of easing out of Disney. No way I could leave there first thing in the morning.

I am a former airline employee and this will be the first trip we are driving. There will be 2 adults and DD15 and DD6. We hope to leave late at night and drive most of the night, possibly stopping and a night at hotel on Saturday at dinnertime. Any suggestions?

lol, yeah right, driving would cost a fortune & would take up too many days of my DW vacation....DL on the other hand, sure, why not

We always drive, too - we live 40 minutes south of Myrtle Beach, SC. I have the trip down to 7 hours and 40 minutes in moderate conditions. I have done it in 7 hours and 10 minutes and as long as 8 and a half. Nothing can keep us from our mission:WDW!

We are two adults and we plug in the portable DVD player and stop at Hardee's on the trip. 3 to 4 movies later, we are with the Mouse.

Driving gives you so much more flexibility than flying - there are no time tables to catch a flight. And sometimes we will decide to stay later on the day we come home, so this affords us that ability.

We always drive, too - we live 40 minutes south of Myrtle Beach, SC. I have the trip down to 7 hours and 40 minutes in moderate conditions. I have done it in 7 hours and 10 minutes and as long as 8 and a half. Nothing can keep us from our mission:WDW!

Just curious-Do you take I-95 to Daytona? What road do you take over to WDW? You really make great time getting there. The best we can do from Augusta is about 8 hours. Of course we have to get to I-95 by the back highways no interstate crossing from here to there. Best time from here to I-95 is about 2 hours by way of going through the Savannah River Plant in SC to I-95 at the state lines.

I am with you about the drive home, have left WDW as late as possible too!

Grammie3

Just curious-Do you take I-95 to Daytona? What road do you take over to WDW? You really make great time getting there. The best we can do from Augusta is about 8 hours. Of course we have to get to I-95 by the back highways no interstate crossing from here to there. Best time from here to I-95 is about 2 hours by way of going through the Savannah River Plant in SC to I-95 at the state lines.

I am with you about the drive home, have left WDW as late as possible too!

Grammie3

We take 17S through Charleston, SC and then it merges onto I95 S just north of Savannah. Then we I95 S to Jacksonville and then cut over to 295 S to circle JAX, then back on 95 S to I4. Now, I will admit that there are many times that I exceed the speed limit, but not too bad. We follow the flow of traffic. Another thing that helps our time, I believe is when we leave. We are notorious for late night and early morning drives. And we usually only stop twice for bathroom breaks and grab something quick to eat which we eat and drive.

We used to drive from Colorado once every couple of years and would get there if we drove straight through in about a day (28 hours). Now we live down the street... it is a much shorter drive:)

I've been driving down from Ct. for the last 8 years.Last trip in Dec.flew for the first time in a long time.July 08 trip I'll be driving again.Whew!

It's good to know I'm not the only one who prefers driving. Although gas prices are through the roof, I enjoy driving and the extra time we can spend together (not that it's all sunshine and roses, but at least I'm not in a plane with other people giving me dirty looks!). There are pros and cons to each, but for us and with the size of our family, driving is still more economical.

For those who drive overnight: Do you find it's hard to function the next day? Are you able to sleep in the car or do you rely on caffeine to keep you going? :) We're considering trying it on our next trip.

We drive down almost every time we go. From WV. This time, My whole family is going so we decided to fly. First time on an airplane for me and most of my fam. Three members of the fam aren't flying, they are driving. One is my Husband!!!! He says someone has to be here to plan the funerals!!! what a weenie!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter