Woman kicked out of a Starbucks, was complaining that other customers were speaking Korean

Just to look at the lady though, tells you there's not something quite right with her.

At our nursing home, one of the "rules" is that the staff is to speak English in front of English speaking residents because some residents have informed us that they feel like the staff is speaking about them when they don't speak English in front of them. In other words, it makes them feel left out and uncomfortable. I don't think that's an unreasonable request.

That may be fine in the setting you describe but it certainly doesn't apply in a public place like a coffee shop.

I also didn't realise you could tell a person was off by looking at them.

Just to look at the lady though, tells you there's not something quite right with her.

At our nursing home, one of the "rules" is that the staff is to speak English in front of English speaking residents because some residents have informed us that they feel like the staff is speaking about them when they don't speak English in front of them. In other words, it makes them feel left out and uncomfortable. I don't think that's an unreasonable request.

I don't see how a nursing home situation relates to what happened at a Starbucks. The Korean speaking people were not working for her. They were all strangers in a public place and she had no business listening to other costumers private conversations. Apples and oranges.

I listen in on foreign language conversations just long enough to determine what language they are speaking, so that when I make eye contact a few moments later, I know which greeting to use ;)

Then they wonder how much of their tongue that I am fluent in...

Besides, our local liquor store is family-run and owned by Koreans. They have been patient in teaching us the right phrases for greetings, thanks, etc.

Just as the Korean person is free to speak whatever language she chooses here in the US, the rude woman has the freedom to not listen to other people's conversations. She also has the freedom to use headphones and listen to music or an audio book if hearing other people's conversations is so upsetting to her.

Wow, that lady is def. 'off'. Not just racist... but 'off'.
Some of her little facial expressions.

And, why would it be a good thing to not go to Starbucks?
What the heck does Starbuck's have to do with this?

IMHO, they did the right thing by asking this woman to leave, because she was interfering and personally harassing other innocent paying customers.

Did somebody say that she has been known to frequent this coffee shop and bother other customers in the past?
I live in the South, in a smaller town....
Here, I call these people the 'Town Talkers'.
They come up, unwelcomed, and get in your face to 'talk'. And, often, this can be promoting their religion.
It is awful!!!!
I haven't run across any lately. But there have been a couple of older men in the past that we would really try hard to avoid!!!!
I wonder if management finally got involved in those cases?

IMHO, you can't impose yourself on other innocent people to FORCE your own personal religious beliefs and prejudices!

My first impression was that she seems drunk. Maybe on meds, high, or mentally unstable. At any rate, she doesn't need to be hanging out at Starbucks harassing people if she isn't even buying anything.

Oh, we are german.

And even when we are in the US my husband and I speak german, when talking to each other. I never would have thought that this could upset anybody.

And I even dare speaking german to our 5 yo DDR, who doesn't speak any english so far. :rolleyes1

That may be fine in the setting you describe but it certainly doesn't apply in a public place like a coffee shop.

I also didn't realise you could tell a person was off by looking at them.

Never? You've never seen someone who's intoxicated in some manner and could tell simply by looking at them?

It may not be possible to walk through a public area and point out the sociopaths based solely on what you see, but I think sometimes what we see can indeed point out someone who is "off" for whatever reason.

Never? You've never seen someone who's intoxicated in some manner and could tell simply by looking at them?

It may not be possible to walk through a public area and point out the sociopaths based solely on what you see, but I think sometimes what we see can indeed point out someone who is "off" for whatever reason.

I don't consider drunk and "off" to be the same thing.

Wow, that lady is def. 'off'. Not just racist... but 'off'.
Some of her little facial expressions.

And, why would it be a good thing to not go to Starbucks?
What the heck does Starbuck's have to do with this?

IMHO, they did the right thing by asking this woman to leave, because she was interfering and personally harassing other innocent paying customers.

Did somebody say that she has been known to frequent this coffee shop and bother other customers in the past?
I live in the South, in a smaller town....
Here, I call these people the 'Town Talkers'.
They come up, unwelcomed, and get in your face to 'talk'. And, often, this can be promoting their religion.
It is awful!!!!
I haven't run across any lately. But there have been a couple of older men in the past that we would really try hard to avoid!!!!
I wonder if management finally got involved in those cases?

IMHO, you can't impose yourself on other innocent people to FORCE your own personal religious beliefs and prejudices!

One employee (out of view of the cameras) says “You’ve bothered other customers here before.” There’s also nothing that indicates that’s she’s purchased anything. Looks like she’s just squatting there while using her computer.

I don't consider drunk and "off" to be the same thing.

I said intoxicated, not specifically drunk.

You've never seen a stranger in a public space and thought something was off simply by observing them? I know I have. I may not be able to put my finger on it, but I have definitely thought something was up with various individuals over the years.

I said intoxicated, not specifically drunk.

You've never seen a stranger in a public space and thought something was off simply by observing them? I know I have. I may not be able to put my finger on it, but I have definitely thought something was up with various individuals over the years.

Intoxicated - drunk...same thing.

And yes I may look at someone and think there may be something going on but there is no way I would no for sure just be looking at them.

Intoxicated - drunk...same thing.

And yes I may look at someone and think there may be something going on but there is no way I would no for sure just be looking at them.

People get intoxicated with all kinds of substances every day.

That's why I questioned your statement in the first place. You asserted you cannot tell someone is off simply by looking at them. You may not know what, but often you can observe something is "off".

I don't care when other people speak in a language other than English except in one situation. When I am a customer in a business, I am bothered when an employee is taking care of my needs (and speaking English) but then talks to a fellow employee in another language while I am waiting. It makes me feel as if they are ignoring me instead of taking care of business. If the other employee doesn't speak English and needs to get them something, they can just say something like "excuse me, but (name) doesn't speak English and I need...".

This woman may have mental health issues. There are fewer places where only one language is spoken. I'd prefer a single, unifying language (English) in the United States for official business but I also believe we need to encourage people to learn other languages. This should start with kids in elementary school and continue until they are fluent in two or more languages, same as many other countries do today.

I don't care when other people speak in a language other than English except in one situation. When I am a customer in a business, I am bothered when an employee is taking care of my needs (and speaking English) but then talks to a fellow employee in another language while I am waiting. It makes me feel as if they are ignoring me instead of taking care of business. If the other employee doesn't speak English and needs to get them something, they can just say something like "excuse me, but (name) doesn't speak English and I need...".

This woman may have mental health issues. There are fewer places where only one language is spoken. I'd prefer a single, unifying language (English) in the United States for official business but I also believe we need to encourage people to learn other languages. This should start with kids in elementary school and continue until they are fluent in two or more languages, same as many other countries do today.

This wasn't employees talking another language it was other customers.

It doesn't bother me when employees speak another language but I guess it helps that I live in an area where more than one language is typically spoken.

People get intoxicated with all kinds of substances every day.

That's why I questioned your statement in the first place. You asserted you cannot tell someone is off simply by looking at them. You may not know what, but often you can observe something is "off".

Again there is a difference between thinking someone may be "off" and knowing they are "off". I've met many people who seem a little strange but there is nothing wrong with them.

I would think nothing of an employee speaking another language to a fellow coworker, especially if the other employee is being asked to help with serving me and instructions are being passed on from the person dealing directly with me. I come from a country where we expect government employees to speak a minimum of 2 languages, if not more when dealing with the public. Speaking languages other than English is a good thing. It certainly would never cross my mind to get upset at fellow customers in a shop conversing in their language of choice.

I would think nothing of an employee speaking another language to a fellow coworker, especially if the other employee is being asked to help with serving me and instructions are being passed on from the person dealing directly with me. I come from a country where we expect government employees to speak a minimum of 2 languages, if not more when dealing with the public. Speaking languages other than English is a good thing. It certainly would never cross my mind to get upset at fellow customers in a shop conversing in their language of choice.

When it's clear that the other employee is asked to help and is being given directions, it's not a problem. I have been in places where I am being served but the employees are having a private conversation in another language that has nothing to do with business. I know this for sure because while I am not fluent in other languages, I can understand a bit of conversational language in a couple languages. Of course, the chuckling doesn't help.

I never have a problem with other customers speaking a different language.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter