Yay Lauren is going to see Mickey-our PTR MAW GTKW

Laurensmom2004

Earning My Ears
Hello all! I think it's safe to start our pre trip report! :dance3:

I hope I'm doing this correctly.....we'll see!

First I'm Jeannie-mom to two amazing girls---Jordan is 15 and Lauren (our wish girlie) is 6---and wife to David.

A little background info: Lauren was born March 2004, with many complex heart defects, she is categorized as having Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome (HLHS). Her first 2 years were extremely hard....we heard the horrible 'there's nothing we can do' three different times in her life. She's had 2 open heart surgeries, 8 heart caths, and was every status on the heart transplant list from November 2004-August 2005. Luckily she turned around with the help of some of the most brilliant doctors on the planet and the most important Doctor upstairs :)

We've dealt with several related issues over the years but overall we've been extremely blessed with her health. To see her, you wouldn't believe she was a sick child. That's the only thing that made accepting the wish hard---it just didn't seem right that we (not her) would get this opportunity when there are so many sick kids out there. Then I thought about allllll she's been through and still goes through-the constant doctor appts, bloodwork, missed play experiences due to heat/over exertion, the list goes on. After not much thought :) it dawned on me that she absolutely deserves this!!!! And so does big sister!!!!!

Our MAW coordinators showed up at our house back in October, 2009. They told Lauren that she qualified for a wish and asked her many questions. Every single answer was: the Wiggles lol. So there it was--her wish was to meet the Wiggles. Several months went by and Lauren was starting to phase out the Wiggles.....there were still no dates set for them to come to the US and there was no way her doc was letting her go out of the country!
One day Lauren came up to me and said 'Mom! I've decided to change my wish-do you think they would let me?' I decided to have her think about it several weeks before we made the call to our coordinator.

I found out 2 weeks ago that she is in fact going to Disney World! We haven't told her but she is positive she's going. Now I'm dealing with 'Mooooooooooooooooooooommmmmm when am I gonna get my wish?' and I have to tell you that it's getting harder and harder to not tell her :upsidedow

As of now-our dates are arrive at GKTW July 11 and leave the 17th. I'm worried about the heat but Jordan will be a sophomore next year and really doesn't need to miss that much school esp. all at once. We're just going to have to be extra careful and keep her as cool as possible! At least Florida doesn't have Arkansas' humidity!!!

Not long to wait but I'm at the very early stages of planning--it helps that we took Jordan in May, 2000, so I'm not completely clueless lol
Can't wait to get to know you!!

I am subscribing!!:cheer2:

I am so happy that Lauren got her wish! My kids loved the wiggles as well, but also grew out of that phase soon (I could still probably sing all the songs):rotfl:

You guys are leaving soon! I am so happy that you found the MAW thread. I have received so much information and inspiration reading about all the trips there.

My daughter, Hayley, is also 6 years old and has Cystic Fibrosis. We will be headed to GKTW in November and we cannot wait!!!:cool1:

Good luck with all the planning. I would defintely try to make any Disney ADR's you want for dining ASAP!

Hi Jeannie! I am Laura, and my dd Catherine is also a 6 year old heart kiddo. We just returned from our wish trip on Sunday, and had a fabulous, magical time. We bought one of the spray fans and drank LOTS of water, and went on the air conditioned rides for breaks from the heat. I'm so excited that Lauren is getting her wish...without a doubt, she deserves it! I look forward to following your PTR, and can't wait to see some pics and learn more about you and your Disney plans!

Hello!!

I am from Arkansas! Grew up in Little Rock. :) But now I transplanted to MS - definitely didn't escape the heat. :faint:

I am going to link your pretrippie on the first page of the wish trippers thread and hopefully that will get ya some folks coming over to say hello!

Congrats on the Wish!!

I do wish you guys could avoid July heat - but you can certainly enjoy the parks and plan around the heat. You will have access to some great VIP lounges for wish families where you can rest during the heat of the day.

Hello!!

I am from Arkansas! Grew up in Little Rock. :) But now I transplanted to MS - definitely didn't escape the heat. :faint:

I am going to link your pretrippie on the first page of the wish trippers thread and hopefully that will get ya some folks coming over to say hello!

Congrats on the Wish!!

I do wish you guys could avoid July heat - but you can certainly enjoy the parks and plan around the heat. You will have access to some great VIP lounges for wish families where you can rest during the heat of the day.

How cool! We're not far from LR and of course go there often to Children's......thanks for adding my link and for the welcome!!!!

Hi im in you will have lots of fun and time away from the doctors and the craziness that comes with a child that is sick . The gifts that god gives us life is to short we all need to have time alone with our specail children. We all need this alone time with them. Have fun cant wait to hear more about your specail girl

Welcome! I am excited to read about your planning and your daughter, Lauren's Wish trip! I have gone in August before and it is hot, but with lots of breaks it is manageable. I am sure July is about the same. You will have so much fun! :banana:

Thanks KDZ bear and motherof4!!!!!!

I've called myself looking........but I can't seem to find if Mickey's Backyard BarBQ is still going and where!
If so-did you go/enjoy it?

Hello all! I think it's safe to start our pre trip report! :dance3:

I hope I'm doing this correctly.....we'll see!

First I'm Jeannie-mom to two amazing girls---Jordan is 15 and Lauren (our wish girlie) is 6---and wife to David.

A little background info: Lauren was born March 2004, with many complex heart defects, she is categorized as having Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome (HLHS). Her first 2 years were extremely hard....we heard the horrible 'there's nothing we can do' three different times in her life. She's had 2 open heart surgeries, 8 heart caths, and was every status on the heart transplant list from November 2004-August 2005. Luckily she turned around with the help of some of the most brilliant doctors on the planet and the most important Doctor upstairs :)

We've dealt with several related issues over the years but overall we've been extremely blessed with her health. To see her, you wouldn't believe she was a sick child. That's the only thing that made accepting the wish hard---it just didn't seem right that we (not her) would get this opportunity when there are so many sick kids out there. Then I thought about allllll she's been through and still goes through-the constant doctor appts, bloodwork, missed play experiences due to heat/over exertion, the list goes on. After not much thought :) it dawned on me that she absolutely deserves this!!!! And so does big sister!!!!!

Our MAW coordinators showed up at our house back in October, 2009. They told Lauren that she qualified for a wish and asked her many questions. Every single answer was: the Wiggles lol. So there it was--her wish was to meet the Wiggles. Several months went by and Lauren was starting to phase out the Wiggles.....there were still no dates set for them to come to the US and there was no way her doc was letting her go out of the country!
One day Lauren came up to me and said 'Mom! I've decided to change my wish-do you think they would let me?' I decided to have her think about it several weeks before we made the call to our coordinator.

I found out 2 weeks ago that she is in fact going to Disney World! We haven't told her but she is positive she's going. Now I'm dealing with 'Mooooooooooooooooooooommmmmm when am I gonna get my wish?' and I have to tell you that it's getting harder and harder to not tell her :upsidedow

As of now-our dates are arrive at GKTW July 11 and leave the 17th. I'm worried about the heat but Jordan will be a sophomore next year and really doesn't need to miss that much school esp. all at once. We're just going to have to be extra careful and keep her as cool as possible! At least Florida doesn't have Arkansas' humidity!!!

Not long to wait but I'm at the very early stages of planning--it helps that we took Jordan in May, 2000, so I'm not completely clueless lol
Can't wait to get to know you!!

Welcome:cool1: Your trip is right around the corner! Hopefully the heat is not too bad. With most attractions being inside an air conditioned, plus there are water fountains to cool off in all around the parks (I get in them even though they are probably meant more for kids:rotfl:. We bought one of those misting fans for each of us and that helped.:cheer2:

A agree with make your dining reservations asap, before it gets booked up.

thanks so much and ouch!!! little pricier than I thought lol
I expected it to cost more but not THAT much more :eek:

At least Florida doesn't have Arkansas' humidity!!!

Jeannie,

Welcome!!! I grew up in Arkansas and spent my last year of college in Orlando, and I have to say that I thought Orlando humidity was just as bad or worse than Arkansas. I just wanted to warn you. Obviously, it is doable, but it is hot and humid. As was mentioned, get some misting fans. Also, you could get some of those neck "coolers", the thin long gel filled cloth tubes that you can wet and put around your neck. They work really well if you get them really cold in the freezer before going to the parks. Happy planning!!!

Naomi

Just wanted to say HI, and I'll do my best to follow along in your planning. We have been home about one month now and I have a bit of tunnel vision in trying to get our TR done. I've only finished day two!!! Congrats on the wish - especially one you will all enjoy (as opposed to the Wiggles, lol). :rotfl2:

thanks yinyang and canyon! yea as soon as i typed it i was like.....wait a minute-lol-it kinda seems like florida is pretty humid.......we're just gonna have to be very careful...getting hot is her worst thing-it makes her so tired and grumpy. I need to some very particular planning!!!!

Welcome and Congratulations on Lauren's wish trip! :yay:

My name is Leah and my son Chase has been granted a wish also! We are going to Disney On June 23! My daughter Selah got a wish last year so we are blessed to be able to experience Disney through GKTW twice. It's sort of bittersweet though but I am greatful!

Planning is fun and sometimes stressful but the people on this board are absolutely amazing! I learned so much from being here. I am so sorry that I didn't find this board when Selah got her wish. We went to Disney with no plans at all :rotfl:

I am definitely subbing to your TR! Can't wait to read more!

Thanks Leah!!! You'll be leaving close to the time we arrive :(
I believe I saw your ptr thread-I'll be watching it too!!!

I am sooooooo excited!!!!!!!! Thanks to this amazing board I'm finding tons of info. Jordan-my healthy oldest- is a HUGE penguin fanatic! I had no clue that Seaworld offered a penguin experience where you can actually pet and get your pic made with a penguin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
She and Lauren are going to go insane. And I probably will too trying to keep it from them lol. So I'll just fill you guys in on the stuff that I can't share with them!
It cost extra but will be so worth it!
BTW I'm working on our ptr........I'll get it posted soon! I'm almost positive I'm trying to get too much done each day so I hope you guys can help me rearrange it!

I put Lauren's website in my profile info for anyone that wants to read about her. It's pretty long......and thankfully it hasn't had to be updated in a while.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter