• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

*** Yay May! OFFICIAL MAY 2020 THREAD!!! Flowers are starting to bloom! ***

Looks like good news / bad news for May people... Spaceship Earth refurb starts May 26. So good news for many of us (including me; it almost helps take some of the sting out of the news that Bob Chapek is now Disney CEO. Almost.), but bad news for some of the later May folks.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...s-may-26/?CMP=SOC-DPFY20Q2wo0220200226200008F
I'm just glad it doesn't overlap with the Big Thunder Mountain closure. I was already sad I was missing that being open by a day. Would have hated if Spaceship Earth was also closed. I haven't experienced either of those, so happy to know 1 will be open during our stay!

Looks like good news / bad news for May people... Spaceship Earth refurb starts May 26. So good news for many of us (including me; it almost helps take some of the sting out of the news that Bob Chapek is now Disney CEO. Almost.), but bad news for some of the later May folks.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...s-may-26/?CMP=SOC-DPFY20Q2wo0220200226200008F

Wow looks like I just made the cut, I’m so glad I will be able to ride Spaceship Earth before it closes before the refurb. Thanks for posting!!

I'm just glad it doesn't overlap with the Big Thunder Mountain closure. I was already sad I was missing that being open by a day. Would have hated if Spaceship Earth was also closed. I haven't experienced either of those, so happy to know 1 will be open during our stay!

We have all of a day to ride Big Thunder before it goes down for refurb so I’m relieved about Spaceship Earth, I was genuinely worried for it.

Sad for those going later in the month though.

We get there the same day BTM goes down and it is DD's favorite ride so we were pretty bummed. So glad SE will be open during our trip - one last chance to hear Dame Judi Dench tell me to thank the Phoenicians :)

Not sure if this has been posted before, but I just found it and got pretty excited that May is Tiki Room month!
https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...ks-disney-store-and-online-at-shopdisney-com/

I’ve been waiting on that one ever since they announced the collection! I picked up the tiki bird dress on the last F&F sale online. GF wants the matching Aloha shirt and we’re hoping they still sell it at the Poly so I can use the AP discount.

We actually talked about our plans again last night because of the refurb discussion too. We were just planning to have a quiet chill arrival day at the resort, go to Spirit of Aloha that night and watch the fireworks and water pageant. Ours is like the first flight out of JFK so we get in pretty early and originally we booked a patio at the quiet pool for arrival day to have a home base to chill until our room is ready. But now that we’re staying CL, we switched to the 1st luau show so we can watch the shows from the lounge afterwards. So it kind of didn’t make sense to keep the pool patio and I was contemplating moving it to one of our other planned resort days. With the Big Thunder news, I was extra torn...I really didn’t want to hit the ground running this trip but I won’t be able to ride it a bunch of times during VAH like I wanted. GF can’t handle any coaster more intense than 7DMT due to health issues so I usually ride alone. She knows Big Thunder is my favorite and told me last night we can totally go to MK. She said she won’t be able to stand looking at the castle all day and not going to MK anyway lol! But this is why we always get length of stay tickets, we want the flexibility.

Sadly we also got an update from JetBlue that our return flight home was moved earlier so that means we have to get the Tragical Express at 3. So no ‘Ohana before we go home. :( That’s the one bad thing about booking flights so far in advance.

I’ve been waiting on that one ever since they announced the collection! I picked up the tiki bird dress on the last F&F sale online. GF wants the matching Aloha shirt and we’re hoping they still sell it at the Poly so I can use the AP discount.

We actually talked about our plans again last night because of the refurb discussion too. We were just planning to have a quiet chill arrival day at the resort, go to Spirit of Aloha that night and watch the fireworks and water pageant. Ours is like the first flight out of JFK so we get in pretty early and originally we booked a patio at the quiet pool for arrival day to have a home base to chill until our room is ready. But now that we’re staying CL, we switched to the 1st luau show so we can watch the shows from the lounge afterwards. So it kind of didn’t make sense to keep the pool patio and I was contemplating moving it to one of our other planned resort days. With the Big Thunder news, I was extra torn...I really didn’t want to hit the ground running this trip but I won’t be able to ride it a bunch of times during VAH like I wanted. GF can’t handle any coaster more intense than 7DMT due to health issues so I usually ride alone. She knows Big Thunder is my favorite and told me last night we can totally go to MK. She said she won’t be able to stand looking at the castle all day and not going to MK anyway lol! But this is why we always get length of stay tickets, we want the flexibility.

Sadly we also got an update from JetBlue that our return flight home was moved earlier so that means we have to get the Tragical Express at 3. So no ‘Ohana before we go home. :( That’s the one bad thing about booking flights so far in advance.

We certainly plan to ride BTM a couple of times on our arrival day, so (like many things on this trip), maybe we'll see you there! It's my son's favorite and it is disappointing that we can't ride it over and over again during DAH, which is what I was hoping for.

I can't tell you how many times our flight has been changed and/or tweaked. I just checked after seeing your post and I see that both of them have moved a few minutes here and there (but not enough to alert me). Just make up your mind already, JetBlue! But I'm happy with what we currently have so as long as nothing else changes before we leave, we should be good to go with our current plans.

a
Our flights were moved back nearly 2 hours going out and up close to 3 hours on our return. Uggh! The transfers remain the same time, so shorter layover going and way too long coming home.

Come on airlines, we picked these times for a reason! I'm flying Delta, so it's not just JB.

My dad is flying Southwest and his flight went from arriving at 10 to 11 for the first leg of this trip at Universal. Any later and we're going to pay for him to take a shuttle since we're planning to rope drop and have our one day at Universal the next morning.

My wife and I are officially doing the May 2020 happy dance. :cool1: We head down May 14 :mickeyjumand unfortunately leave way too soon on May 20 :eek:. Staying at Pop Century, which will actually be my first time ever staying on site. :thumbsup2 It is our first trip together, but we have both been before (been since 2007 for me and about 2005 for her) just a good while back! Trying to plan out some FP strategies and get our late dining reservations. (I am really planning on doing most of the dining at this point last minute in hopes of cancellations since most things are not available at convenient times).

My wife and I are officially doing the May 2020 happy dance. :cool1: We head down May 14 :mickeyjumand unfortunately leave way too soon on May 20 :eek:. Staying at Pop Century, which will actually be my first time ever staying on site. :thumbsup2 It is our first trip together, but we have both been before (been since 2007 for me and about 2005 for her) just a good while back! Trying to plan out some FP strategies and get our late dining reservations. (I am really planning on doing most of the dining at this point last minute in hopes of cancellations since most things are not available at convenient times).
Welcome William! Our stays will be overlapping at Pop. I'll be checking in on the 16th!

What are your thoughts here about the Coronavirus and our upcoming trips in May? Since it’s about 2 months away. I’m starting to get nervous about it but not letting it affect my plans. I’m just nervous in the fact that I’m going to be going to a place where thousands of people from all over the world will be together in one place. But I also do not like to live in fear and I really don’t want to cancel our trip or miss out on going because of fear that something might happen.

I work in a hospital and we’ve been told N95 masks won’t do anything and to take the same precautions as the flu. Cover your mouth when you sneeze and cough, and good hand hygiene (soap and water or hand sanitizer when that’s not available) is the best you can do. That being said, I’m not worried at all and you shouldn’t stress over it for the trip.

on a side note, I am relieved that spaceship earth will be open for my trip because I was starting to get worried it was going down well before then! I hope everyone that can, will be able to see the phoenicians one last time!:goodvibes

Welcome William! Our stays will be overlapping at Pop. I'll be checking in on the 16th!

We will do our best to have it in good shape when you get there! So glad that Spaceship Earth will still be up and going when we are there. Hate we will miss BTMR, but if I had to choose, I would want Spaceship Earth open.

We will do our best to have it in good shape when you get there! So glad that Spaceship Earth will still be up and going when we are there. Hate we will miss BTMR, but if I had to choose, I would want Spaceship Earth open.
I'll be in MK the last day btmr is supposed to be down. Fingers crossed it opens a day early! But yes, glad spaceship earth will be available.

My Fastpasses are booked! Had to adjust a little but got all the rides I wanted to get! However we are probably going to be in Animal Kingdom before an after hours event we aren't attending. How are crowds leading up to it?

AK traditionally has a gap between official park close and the start of AH so you don’t see the same impact. It also helps clear the lines sooner.

With our FastPass+ day coming up on Tuesday, I'm now in full on obsessive freak out mode over the touring strategy / preferred FP+ times. There's been a rough plan for months (had to get park days picked to know where to get ADRs), but The last week or so (I think the general plan made me more relaxed than I should have been) I've been frantically nailing down all the details so as to best select the ideal FP+ windows. So even though I have a preliminary list, I'm still going over everything with a fine tooth comb. Are the FP+ times late enough that they're not wasted at rope drop, but early enough to allow for the opportunity to get 4+? Are the activities ordered in a way that minimizes crisscrossing and backtracking as much as possible while still prioritizing minimum wait times? Am I leaving enough time between FP+ windows to get to the next attraction? What are are the showtimes for the entertainment we want to see, and how can I schedule the touring strategy so there's enough time, and we're in the right area at that time? What about food? Where are we planning to eat? Will we be in the right area of the park at the right time? Am I leaving enough of a gap in the FP+ windows to allow for dining? 😱😵

Just needed to vent for a second before diving back in to the fray. I figure that you, the Disney folks, will understand. You'll know I'm not crazy. I'm not a lunatic, right? RIGHT?!

With our FastPass+ day coming up on Tuesday, I'm now in full on obsessive freak out mode over the touring strategy / preferred FP+ times. There's been a rough plan for months (had to get park days picked to know where to get ADRs), but The last week or so (I think the general plan made me more relaxed than I should have been) I've been frantically nailing down all the details so as to best select the ideal FP+ windows. So even though I have a preliminary list, I'm still going over everything with a fine tooth comb. Are the FP+ times late enough that they're not wasted at rope drop, but early enough to allow for the opportunity to get 4+? Are the activities ordered in a way that minimizes crisscrossing and backtracking as much as possible while still prioritizing minimum wait times? Am I leaving enough time between FP+ windows to get to the next attraction? What are are the showtimes for the entertainment we want to see, and how can I schedule the touring strategy so there's enough time, and we're in the right area at that time? What about food? Where are we planning to eat? Will we be in the right area of the park at the right time? Am I leaving enough of a gap in the FP+ windows to allow for dining? 😱😵

Just needed to vent for a second before diving back in to the fray. I figure that you, the Disney folks, will understand. You'll know I'm not crazy. I'm not a lunatic, right? RIGHT?!

Hey, we're here for you, don't worry :) I think most people would say you're crazy but we're not most people!

My FP day is also Tuesday (so make sure you leave some for me!) and I'm feeling strangely calm about it. I've checked the Dibb and Touring Plans to get an idea of availability and I like a lot of what I'm seeing. There's always stress the morning of, particularly with Disney's IT, but stay calm and just plow through them. I try to plan like you do, where it makes sense in the park/day (like, if we rope drop Soarin', what makes sense to get a FP for in the area?) but I feel pretty good about where we are right now. I just want it to be over so I can obsessively move them around for a while and then the countdown really begins.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter