You down with O.O.P? Yeah you know me! March 11-15, 2017 Updated 4/7 Final Day-COMPLETED

Sides may have been mediocre, but I still can't wait to try this restaurant even if it ends up being for the drinks alone!!! Kid's Club sounds brilliant (if a little bit expensive).

FOR SURE you should go. I will definitely go back.

The Sandcastle Club was kinda spendy, but I loved having it as an option. We'll definitely utilize it again. Felt like a very well run, secure and safe operation. I think we would get more time for our money if we stuck around the Boardwalk/World Showcase area for dinner....which is probably what we'll do next time.

The sentence in bold is absolutely true: got no time for CA, Chile, or Aussie versions. . .occasionally find a good French one, though. Like KC but have found some quality SBs at, of all places, Trader Joe's for half the price. Okay, back to reading. . .

My state is dumb and doesn't sell wine in grocery stores.

It's really my 4 year old that drives me to drink! We put the kids on a point system for souvenirs and treats while we were there. 1pt for getting dressed without complaining, 1 pt for eating a good dinner, 1/2 pt for a nice picture (this was specific to Rowan). It worked pretty well that we decided to reinstate the behavior chart....IT'S HAMMER TIME lol.
This is brilliant. I'm going to have to steal that idea for our next trip!

Then my boy got his first set of ears.....as crazy as he makes us....he is really just the cutest!

img_8694-jpg.227737
Perfect!

We hopped on the railroad and went over to Splash Mountain and stayed for the 12:10 Muppet Show in Liberty Square. We all loved it. It's funny because kids these days just don't get the Muppets really. The crowd was comprised of 30 somethings and up. LOL.
Funny I thought the same thing when we watched it. Casey and a ton of other kids were having no part of it, but all us 30 and 40 somethings were downright glued to it.

This was a pretty disappointing lunch. The roast beef was REALLY rare and the croque monsieur was a cold grilled cheese with ham. The kids enjoyed their lunch.
I've never been that enamored with BoG either. Its not bad my any means, but the food certainly doesn't live up to the hype

And not just in pineapple flavors. I've had lemon, orange and raspberry dole whips. I can get the pineapple flavor at least 2 times each summer. My equally obsessed Disney friend and her family came over last summer for a BBQ with like 6 pints of pineapple dole whip and a bottle of mango rum to make Spikey Pineapples. AMAZING. Anyway, here is my obligatory dole whip shot for insta.
Lemon, orange, and raspberry dole whips????? How did I not know this existed. I would be in heaven. And dole whip and rum in your own backyard. I would be eating there every night. Sadly we can't get them around us, so Disney is my only outlet.

They were like "beat it". Seriously, they were really excited just to have some normal play time in Disney. To like, play with trucks and dolls. Funny. You spend so much money taking kids to Disney and they're almost just as happy with a bucket of used toys lol.
My daughter is the same way. We plan an adult night out every trip and we say its for us, but really she loves the time alone in the kids club almost as much as we do

After drop off, we got spruced up for dinner, had a glass of wine and went down to the bus stop around 5:30pm. We waited for the Disney Springs bus. And waited.......and waited.....and waited. At 6:05 I had to call Homecoming and explain that the buses were behind and we would be late. She assured me it would be fine and she would hold our table. There were some really mad parents trying to contain kids that are going stir crazy waiting 45 minutes at a bus stop.
This is ridiculous!!!!! Poor kids

The fig and berry drink was AMAZE. You could taste the fig and strawberry and the tequila wasn't too overwhelming. It was sweet without being clawing. Light and refreshing. It's only 9:40am and I would literally kill for one right now. Delish.
img_8828-jpg.227969
Yum, this sounds and looks so good. I saw this on the menu and wasn't sure about how I'd like the fig in there so I skipped it. Definitely going to have to try it next ti me.

img_8831-jpg.227971

St. Augustine Vodka with lime juice, simple syrup and cucumber slices. The garnish had a limey, peppery salt on it. Like that stuff in TX that you can dump in your beer to make it taste better...what's that called again??? Omg. TWANG!!!!!!!!! LOL. That's a blast from the past. Ha! It was kinda like twang.
Ok, you are going to have to school a mid-Atlantic girl. Is twang really a thing? Never heard of it

img_8833-jpg.227974

Behold....the fried chicken. This was quite literally the best fried chicken I've ever had in my life. Honestly. It was crispy, the meat was taken off the bone and for breast meat it was VERY tender and moist. The drop biscuits were awesome. Not too dry, very flavorful with a nice rise on them for drop biscuits. I've begun to make my own biscuits lately and these are the things I notice now lol.
OMG that chicken looks and sounds amazing. We opted for the chicken biscuits when we were there so I got a glimpse of how good the fried chicken can be. You are making my list of things to try next time very, very long!

The collard greens and the cucumber salad had way too much vinegar. I expected the cucumber salad to be vinegary, but not the collards. That could be a regional thing as our beans and greens in NY are more garlicky and spicy.
It must be a regional thing, because I thought the collards weren't vinegary enough :-)

This is brilliant. I'm going to have to steal that idea for our next trip!

Perfect!

Funny I thought the same thing when we watched it. Casey and a ton of other kids were having no part of it, but all us 30 and 40 somethings were downright glued to it.

I've never been that enamored with BoG either. Its not bad my any means, but the food certainly doesn't live up to the hype

Lemon, orange, and raspberry dole whips????? How did I not know this existed. I would be in heaven. And dole whip and rum in your own backyard. I would be eating there every night. Sadly we can't get them around us, so Disney is my only outlet.

My daughter is the same way. We plan an adult night out every trip and we say its for us, but really she loves the time alone in the kids club almost as much as we do

This is ridiculous!!!!! Poor kids

Yum, this sounds and looks so good. I saw this on the menu and wasn't sure about how I'd like the fig in there so I skipped it. Definitely going to have to try it next ti me.

Ok, you are going to have to school a mid-Atlantic girl. Is twang really a thing? Never heard of it

OMG that chicken looks and sounds amazing. We opted for the chicken biscuits when we were there so I got a glimpse of how good the fried chicken can be. You are making my list of things to try next time very, very long!

It must be a regional thing, because I thought the collards weren't vinegary enough :-)

Lol. Growing up in NYS and then moving to South Texas was like moving to Mars. I loved it. You can go to a mini-mart and they have giant tubs of "tall boys" or 16oz beers...usually the cheap kind, and right next to the display would be packets of this stuff called "Twang". Apparently, people put it in cheap beers to make them taste better?? I never tried it but I had friends that swore by it. Another popular thing to do is buy a Dos Equis and roll the neck in margarita salt. Makes me swell up just thinking about it. http://store.twang.com/ = Seems like it would be good in a bloody mary, if you like those--which I think you do ;)

The chicken and drinks were out of this world. They upcharge for all breast meat, but they debone it and everything. Seriously amazing.

Are we some sort of hideous beasts they want to keep hidden???
LOL I was just going to comment on how pretty you guys are!! Back to the corner, beasties!

St. Augustine Vodka with lime juice, simple syrup and cucumber slices. The garnish had a limey, peppery salt on it
Ohhh yummmm

Scott and the rest of the table enjoyed the Tropical Shrimp Cocktail. Again, lifted pic but this is how it came out. A very large portion of shrimp with mangos and avocados. They all raved about it. I don't really like shrimp so I passed.
I don't really like shrimp too much either but this looks awesome

the best fried chicken I've ever had in my life. Honestly. It was crispy,
Ditto, and I live in the south!

The mashed potatoes were too smooth...almost artificially smooth. I thought because they had zero consistency, that the gravy on top didn't really add anything to them. I felt like I was gumming the potatoes and was really wanting some texture.
Okay I can say with certainty mine were not like this. Maybe a bad batch? Or a change in the preparation as time goes on?

The collard greens and the cucumber salad had way too much vinegar. I expected the cucumber salad to be vinegary, but not the collards. That could be a regional thing as our beans and greens in NY are more garlicky and spicy.
I thought ours were too sweet. I did not like them at all.

Glad you guys had a fun adults-only evening out!!

There was really only ONE thing that I absolutely, positively HAD to do on this trip to Disney. Eat at Chef Art Smith's Homecoming: Florida Kitchen and Shine Bar. I've been wistfully drooling over pics of the food and couldn't wait to try it out. Unlike our last family trip to Disney, both our kids are fully potty trained, so we could finally stick them in a kids club and have a grown up night out lol. We used the in-room service before, which was great...but very pricey. Staying at the Beach Club, we had access to the Sandcastle Club steps from our hotel room.

A few weeks before we called and made our reservation and paid the fee of $55/kid (or $110) which included childcare from 4:30pm until midnight, dinner and snack. The evening would be a combo of playing, a science experiment, baking and a movie. We brought the kids down right at 4:30 so we would have time for our 6:30pm reservation at Homecoming. We filled out some paperwork, met the club counselors and said goodbye to the kids. They were like "beat it". Seriously, they were really excited just to have some normal play time in Disney. To like, play with trucks and dolls. Funny. You spend so much money taking kids to Disney and they're almost just as happy with a bucket of used toys lol.

How was the Sand castle Club? I have a reservation for my daughter (she's 6) in September. We plan on having a nice adult dinner at Yachtsman and taking a spin around the World Showcase. Although I'm pretty sure I won't be up for drinking around the World.

How was the Sand castle Club? I have a reservation for my daughter (she's 6) in September. We plan on having a nice adult dinner at Yachtsman and taking a spin around the World Showcase. Although I'm pretty sure I won't be up for drinking around the World.

It was GREAT! Kids loved it. Very thorough intake and I felt very secure with them being there. I think that's our plan for next time so we don't spend so much time traveling and waiting for buses!

Those Disney Springs buses show up so irregularly. I would hate to have wasted my adult time waiting for a bus. Your meal looked worth the bus trip. :)

Although I'm a little scared of chicken where they removed the bones. Your review reminds me of that that boneless chicken they had at KFC a few years back with the campaign, I ate the bones.

Hahahah! Oh of COURSE it has booze in it silly! Black Cherry Lemonade Grey Goose Cherry Noir Vodka, Odwalla Lemonade, fresh Lime Juice and Grenadine topped with Sprite® $9.00. I don't waste calories on sugary non-alcoholic drinks.

PHEW! For a minute there I thought I had totally misjudged you and was really confused ;)

Your little guy in his Mickey ears is too cute. As a boy mom I totally get it...they drive you crazy but they really are the sweetest. OK, off to read about Homecoming!

Oh my gosh, SO CUTE!!!

There was really only ONE thing that I absolutely, positively HAD to do on this trip to Disney. Eat at Chef Art Smith's Homecoming: Florida Kitchen and Shine Bar. I've been wistfully drooling over pics of the food and couldn't wait to try it out. Unlike our last family trip to Disney, both our kids are fully potty trained, so we could finally stick them in a kids club and have a grown up night out lol. We used the in-room service before, which was great...but very pricey. Staying at the Beach Club, we had access to the Sandcastle Club steps from our hotel room.

I've been saying this the last 3 times I've gone, ha! Sounds like the perfect spot for a date night.

After drop off, we got spruced up for dinner, had a glass of wine and went down to the bus stop around 5:30pm. We waited for the Disney Springs bus. And waited.......and waited.....and waited. At 6:05 I had to call Homecoming and explain that the buses were behind and we would be late. She assured me it would be fine and she would hold our table. There were some really mad parents trying to contain kids that are going stir crazy waiting 45 minutes at a bus stop. These two dads were like, beside themselves when the bus finally came. One dad shouted "OPEN THE DOOR" when the bus pulled up. It's easy to roll your eyes at this kind of behavior from guests, but I didn't have my kids with me and I was annoyed. I would have been fit to be tied if I had kids climbing all over the place waiting that long.

:crazy2: 45 minutes!! That is awful. I've heard the buses aren't too great there. I definitely would've been the same way if I had kids that were going stir crazy!

img_8831-jpg.227971

St. Augustine Vodka with lime juice, simple syrup and cucumber slices. The garnish had a limey, peppery salt on it. Like that stuff in TX that you can dump in your beer to make it taste better...what's that called again??? Omg. TWANG!!!!!!!!! LOL. That's a blast from the past. Ha! It was kinda like twang.

Swoon... their entire drink menu just sounds so good. What a bummer that the mashed potatoes and mac and cheese weren't as great as expected. Since moving to NC we have been to several BBQ/southern cooking type places and I think the sides are often the star of the show! Especially for a $30 meal, you'd think they'd be way better!

Swoon... their entire drink menu just sounds so good. What a bummer that the mashed potatoes and mac and cheese weren't as great as expected. Since moving to NC we have been to several BBQ/southern cooking type places and I think the sides are often the star of the show! Especially for a $30 meal, you'd think they'd be way better!

Oh yeah. TX BBQ was the same way. The salads and cobblers were better than the brisket!

Day 4 - Part 1 - Magic Kingdom and Columbia Harbor House

My parents have been annual pass holders for the last couple years now, so they decided to come up and spend the day with us and activate their new AP. Driving over from Clearwater they ran into a bit of traffic. They weren't going to be to BCV until around 8:30am which gave us an excuse to have a bit of a lay in. Scott went down to the Beach Club Marketplace for coffee and picked up a couple hot breakfasts for the kids. Mickey waffles and bacon. Alice caught up on some school work and I got to lay in bed and drink coffee and watch the Today Show.

Back home there was a HUGE snowstorm while we were gone. Like, 3ft of snow in 2 days no lie. They closed the place where I work which has only been done three times in 30 years. It was crazy. Thankfully we have awesome neighbors that sent plows over and shoveled for us. That snowstorm also brought some pretty chilly temps through Florida. That morning was 48 degrees and only supposed to get up to 60. I was glad to have a couple extra sweatshirts from Disney Springs to put on the kids. It was going to be a cold day.

My parents met us at the bus stop and the kids were SO EXCITED to see them. We live in the same town and see my parents at least once or twice a week. So not seeing them for 2 weeks was a big deal.

IMG_8843.2.jpg

Why yes! That IS a gold tooth!

We arrived at about 9am and the difference in the line to get in was ASTOUNDING. I always thought Monday was the day to skip MK, but this was a cold Tuesday morning and it was a complete mob scene. Very stressful to get in. I asked my parents about whether or not they activated their passes, but my mom said she didn't think they needed to because the passes were showing up on her MDE account. I have no clue about APs, so I just focused on getting my family through the hoards of people.

Well, sure enough, we go through security up to the turnstiles and my parents MB's didn't work. So they had to go to Guest Services to activate their APs. We said we would meet them on Main Street and thought we would jump in line to meet Pluto!

MK_TWNSQR2_20170314_7976152657.jpeg
Usually I don't get in with characters (except Baymax because, who doesn't want to hug Baymax?) but Pluto waved me over. Why not lol. MK_TWNSQR2_20170314_7976152660.2.jpg

So that was a huge long line and my parents FINALLY were done with the AP nonsense. My mom was complaining endlessly about the weather. 2 weeks in FL thinned her blood right out lol. We were trying to make our way down main street when we saw the little trolley show
IMG_8855.2.jpg

And while this show is absolutely adorable and quite enjoyable, it also totally jams up Main Street.

IMG_8858.JPG

Pretty much sums it up. Lol. My husband has a pretty low threshold for crowds and people in general.

Our first FP was to meet Tiana and Rapunzel

IMG_8869.JPG

MK_PFTHPURPLED2CHAR_20170314_7976205241.jpeg

Next up was Peter Pan, Under the Sea with Ariel and an early lunch at Columbia Harbor House. I find that if you eat between 11-11:30am, you have less shenanigans to deal with. Plus I didn't eat breakfast so I was pretty hungry.

We brought a couple of small bottles of water for the kids, and ordered one large bottle of water, 2 hot cocoas, one chicken and fish entree for the kids to split, I got the pot pie and Scott surprised me by ordering the shrimp mac and cheese. Total for lunch was $40.44

These are all pics from disneyfoodblog.com mostly because I was annoyed at my kids and didn't take any pictures of the food. My pot pie came with nice steamed broccoli. So I took the chicken and fish, split it up and gave each kid like, 4 pieces of broccoli. YOu would have thought I was trying to poison them. Alice made a huge scene about it and I was like "I know you're not trying to yell at me in the happiest place on Earth, right?" I must've been making crazy eyes because she simmered right down and reluctantly ate her veggies.

columbia-harbour-house-chicken-pot-pie-1.jpg Columbia-Harbour-House-Shrimp-Mac-Cheese.jpg Fish-and-Chicken-Columbia-Harbour-House-600x404.jpg

Anyway, it was all pretty good! The fish and the nuggets were hot and crispy (another advantage of eating upon opening) and Scott seemed to enjoy his mac and cheese. My pot pie was great! It was really cold out, so it was the perfect comfort food to warm me up. It was VERY rich and a deceptively large portion. I ate about 3/4 and was really full.

We thought at this point we would split up for a while. My parents would go with my sister and her family for a couple hours and we would reconvene after our 2pm FP for the Jungle Cruise. My plan was to steal my parents and take them to World Showcase for a do-over of our rushed afternoon over there.

We decided to head through Liberty Square again, through Frontier Land and over through to Adventure Land. As we were leaving, out of the corner of my eye, I saw a big white hat with a red ribbon...which can only mean MARY POPPINS. She is forever on my list of characters I want to see in WDW. Plus I wanted to check and see what her going rate is for whipping my kids into shape.

Cont. next page

Last edited:
Mary was lovely. Practically perfect in every way! There was a VERY short line of people behind us, so she spent a really long time with the kids. Brought a tear to my eye honestly. IMG_8880.JPG

Over to Pirates for a VERY long standby line. Scott put Rowan on his shoulders and he fell fast asleep. I gave Alice my iPhone to play some games and we waited for about an hour. I refuse to go to Disney World and NOT go on Pirates of the Caribbean.

The kids had earned enough points for a toy, naturally Rowan chose a pirate set with a sword, eye patch and a little green bird that velcros on to his wrist. It's actually really cute. Alice chose this Pearl pirate Barbie. Very quickly I was asking myself why I would ever get Rowan a giant sword when there are literally people EVERYWHERE. I'm smarter than that, I promise lol. It kept him occupied in line for Jungle Cruise.

IMG_8885.JPG

My parents were waiting at the exit for us after and we grabbed the kids another Mickey bar and high tailed it out of MK. It was 2pm and a nightmare. We jumped on the monorail to head to Flower and Garden festival. I was just NOT ok with the lack of quality time I spent over there on Sunday. We didn't have any dinner reservations to rush off to and I was determined to check out some of the food and topiaries. I'll update my review with F&G and Crew's Cup tomorrow. Back to work I go!

Wow! Tianna's dress is so beautiful! I really like that CHH has broccoli on the menu, and I always find it is cooked nicely. I love that you got your kids to simmer down with just "the look". LOL!!

img_8858-jpg.228310

Pretty much sums it up. Lol. My husband has a pretty low threshold for crowds and people in general.

Bahaha... mine too!

These are all pics from disneyfoodblog.com mostly because I was annoyed at my kids and didn't take any pictures of the food. My pot pie came with nice steamed broccoli. So I took the chicken and fish, split it up and gave each kid like, 4 pieces of broccoli. YOu would have thought I was trying to poison them. Alice made a huge scene about it and I was like "I know you're not trying to yell at me in the happiest place on Earth, right?" I must've been making crazy eyes because she simmered right down and reluctantly ate her veggies.

LOL. Oh no, not broccoli! My friend had the shrimp mac n cheese last time and I was definitely envious. I just didn't want something so heavy as it was really hot out, but I think that's a really good spot for a nice filling meal!

Oh my gosh those character photos came out so great! I hope Rowan got lots of points for being so adorable with the princesses. Can't wait to see your World Showcase redo!

Wow! Tianna's dress is so beautiful! I really like that CHH has broccoli on the menu, and I always find it is cooked nicely. I love that you got your kids to simmer down with just "the look". LOL!!

Tiana's dress is gorgeous. Most of our pictures with her are of the kids playing with it. LOL.

I like that the broccoli wasn't drowned in a synthetic butter sauce as I typically find. Usually "the look" doesn't work, but all I can think of is that part in Christmas Vacation where Clarke Griswold is LOSING IT.

I'm dying to try Homecoming Kitchen! We opted for D-Luxe Burger on our last trip, which we really liked. There's probably not much I can eat at HK, being on a gluten free diet, but I'm sure I'll find something yummy. I'm like your husband in that I have very little tolerance for crowded spaces. It actually makes me feel claustrophic. That's when I usually take a time out break, lol, until the crowds thin out. My goodness, that shrimp mac & cheese looks so good!!! I haven't eaten at CHH in years. Another one I want to make it back to. Maybe on my upcoming trip. I'm going with my sis, and my bff, and we've decided we just want a no stress, play it by ear trip, so only have 1 table service reservation scheduled. We thought we'd hit up mostly counter service, and wing the rest! Should be interesting, especially since I'm such a obsessive planner. Getting ready for this trip has been weird, since I really didn't have to do much, and I have no dining reservations that I can change a million times!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter