You HAVE to try this!! EBAY your way to DISNEY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by emersonsmom
I clearly state that contact MUST be made within 3 days. And I stand firm on this, regardless of how much feedback they have. If they haven't contacted me, I send them one last email and track it (I have a email tracking service I use in situations like this, that verifys if they opened it) And if they don't respond, I pull their contact information and call them. This either scares them to contact me, or might tell me their email addy or phone number is wrong (thus an ebay violation and they will get suspended for it)

What type of program does email tracking? That sounds useful.

Originally posted by Belle0101
Here is the part of my payment terms which I have on each and every auction I have / had listed:

"Payment: I accept the following forms of payment (in order of preference)

Paypal, however my account is not set up to receive credit cards. I reserve the right to refuse Paypal payments from members who do not have a confirmed address.

Cashiers checks / money orders - please understand it will take time for them to clear my bank."

Of course on the actual auction page it's formatted a lot nicer. I have some of it underlined and then some bullets too.

I've had buyers pay me via credit card through Paypal (which I have to deny) and also some ask after they win if I'll accept a personal check.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can make my payment terms more clear? It's just getting to be very frustrating because it seems like my terms are not being read before bidding. Then I have to make exceptions (for the personal checks) and also tell the CC payers that they need to pay via another method and they're getting snippy with me.

Any ideas?

I think we all have that same/similar problem. People just do not read or they think it applies to everyone except their special little selves! Sorry if that sounds sarcastic, but it really irks me too!

Originally posted by Belle0101
Here is the part of my payment terms which I have on each and every auction I have / had listed:

"Payment: I accept the following forms of payment (in order of preference)

Paypal, however my account is not set up to receive credit cards. I reserve the right to refuse Paypal payments from members who do not have a confirmed address.

Cashiers checks / money orders - please understand it will take time for them to clear my bank."

Of course on the actual auction page it's formatted a lot nicer. I have some of it underlined and then some bullets too.

I've had buyers pay me via credit card through Paypal (which I have to deny) and also some ask after they win if I'll accept a personal check.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can make my payment terms more clear? It's just getting to be very frustrating because it seems like my terms are not being read before bidding. Then I have to make exceptions (for the personal checks) and also tell the CC payers that they need to pay via another method and they're getting snippy with me.

Any ideas?

Unfortunately, I don't think it will matter if you make it "more clear". I think some people just DON'T read!

I have added my payment options in my description too at the end. Because I do not have the Paypal icon clicked (since I don't take credit cards) but I want them to know I accept Paypal balance transfers.

You may want to write "NO Checks please." after the cashiers check/money order line.

Maggie

Originally posted by beattyfamily
I'm am not the computer person in the family; it's my DH selling it but this is what the auction says: it's a "DEC PDP 8/e Chasis" whatever that means. It VERY very heavy (and old) and that is the reason for the $25 handling fee and he's charging actual shipping. Haven't got a clue what that will be. The $100 was a guess on my part since it's SO heavy.

Computers aren't that heavy actually... my laptops are running about $15-19 shipping with the desktops running anywhere from $25-30 shipping.

That DEC isn't that old actually.

Originally posted by Cindy B
Computers aren't that heavy actually... my laptops are running about $15-19 shipping with the desktops running anywhere from $25-30 shipping.

That DEC isn't that old actually.

It just sold for $510. :teeth:

It's approx 90 lbs (without all the packing materials to protect it). My DH ships UPS whenever possible and there is a date of 1973 on it. To me a computer from 1973 is old.

Why do so many not accept credit cards? Is there some problem with this? I just started Ebay and I have been accepting them and would like to know if I should or not. THanks

Originally posted by MermaidsMom
Why do so many not accept credit cards? Is there some problem with this? I just started Ebay and I have been accepting them and would like to know if I should or not. THanks

Others may be able to answer better, but I do not accept credit cards because Paypal will then begin to charge you fees on EACH transaction (credit card or not). I sell relatively inexpensive stuff (outgrown kids clothes, etc.). So those extra fees would cut into my profit. I know I could "pass the fees onto the buyer by charging a handling fee" but I think this would make my auctions less desirable because of the higher shipping/handling.

Maggie

Originally posted by MermaidsMom

I believe the only reason is the fees.

I accept Pay Pal payments because I know that as a buyer I love that option and really don't like having to get a MO or check, send it out and then wait for it to clear. So I think it makes my auction more appealing therefore worth the fees.

Also, as a seller I LOVE having the money so instantly!!! I can't stand waiting for the MO or check to arrive.

And it's just too complicated for me to only accept Pay Pal if it's a bank transfer and not a CC transfer. I can't be bothered.

Originally posted by maggiew
because Paypal will then begin to charge you fees on EACH transaction (credit card or not).

Are you saying that once you accept a Pay Pal payment from an eBayer, all your transactions have fees whether they are paid by CC or a bank transfer (echeck)?

Are you saying that once you accept a Pay Pal payment from an eBayer, all your transactions have fees whether they are paid by CC or a bank transfer (echeck)?
-----------------------------

I believe that's true..

When I first started selling I did not accept Paypal CC payments and not only did I have fewer sales and lower bids, but the MAJOR headaches from people going ahead and doing it anyhow was driving me nuts!

For the minimal fees involved, I have seen sales increase dramatically, higher bids, and more "impulse" buyers.. I also like the ability to have the money instantly (from CC's) and not having to wait for MO's, for checks to be mailed and cleared. etc.

It's a personal thing, but I would never go back to NOT accepting CC's because I'm 100% sure it would hurt my sales..

Not "once you accept a Pay Pal payment from an eBayer" but "once you accept a credit card Paypal payment from an eBayer". Right now I have no fees from Paypal for transactions, but once I accept EVEN ONE credit card transaction, ALL transactions will have a fee.

Maggie

I finally made the leap and have my first auction up. Hopefully I will have time to get a few more up this week. It wasn't as hard as I was expecting.

I actually have two paypal accounts. One is for credit cards and one is for non credit cards. more then 1/2 of my buyers use the non credit card one, thus saving me tons in fees!

What type of program does email tracking? That sounds useful.

Its called readnotify.com They have a free trial so you can check it out. It usefull when buyers pull the "I never got an email from you".

And to answer the question about why buyers don't follow your Terms...Because YES, they Do NOT read. In Four years, and trying to write it out 5 different ways, I still manage to get stuck with buyers who choose not to read.::yes::

emersonsmom, Can you tell me how you were able to get the different PayPal payment options in your listing? I have 2 PayPal accounts also, and would love to have that in mine so that I can lessen the stress at the end of the auction of people trying to pay into different accounts. Thanks, Sandy

Outlook Express also has a Return Receipt option so that you get a receipt when the mail was picked up by the person you sent to.

well, I did it.....I use to sell my daughters clothes on ebay when they were much smaller, but it's been about 5 years since I've done anything.

I've read through this thread...okay I admit it I skipped some pages LOL...but I figured what the heck have I got to loose? Nothing really.

I just put up 8 auctions, mostly small things, nothing that I'm guessing will bring in much money...however, I use to be a Pampered Chef Consultant...so I've got a lot of stuff from there to sell! I also went way overboard with buying stuff from Creative Memories. A lot of duplicates...so those will be listed within in the next few days.

I did my research on the stuff I was listing, to make sure my prices weren't too high...I do have 1 reserve auction up, but there is no way I was going to accept less than my reserve, and if it doesnt sell, well then it doesnt sell.

I have 4 more auctions sitting here waiting for me to upload the pics and get them going...but I thought I'd stop i and tell ya that I have now "joined the ebay to disney" group.

I'm hoping to get the $$ to pay for our 6 night stay at our off site hotel. The onsite hotel is already paid for along with our park hoppers. If I can get that hotel paid for, then I'll work on Sea World Tickets next.

I did warn my family this morning...anything not nailed down is fair game!

I got the kids into it too though, I had them go through their old books that they no longer are reading, you know, picture books etc. and have made up a few huge lots..they will probably only sell for 8-10 bucks..but thats better than nothing..I told the DD's that for every auction of "their stuff" I sell, I will give them 2 disney dollars..LOL they're into it now!

I'm going to pull out their summer clothes from last year, see what fits what doesnt and get them up.

I figure by the end of the week I should have about 75 auctions going. I'm not worried about what day of the week they end though....

Okay off I go to list some more stuff...

I'll post in 7 days and tell ya how I did LOL

Brandy

oh I forgot!!!

I got a postage scale today at Staples, DH needed one for his store, so thats a nice "business expense"...also I ordered some boxes from USPS.GOV last night, as I will do the majority of my shipping via priority or media...(movies books etc.)...the other stuff goes priority..

Okay thats it I'm back over to ebay now, as long as I dont start buying stuff I'll be okay!

brandy

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can make my payment terms more clear?

In my TOS / Payment Options, I list out what I do accept but also list out what I do not accept so it is clear for everyone. I also make sure it is listed in my invoice.

I of course still get those who will try to pay by credit card or personal check. I think it is inevitable.

Originally posted by Donna
Outlook Express also has a Return Receipt option so that you get a receipt when the mail was picked up by the person you sent to.

I have tried that without much luck. Also I have been the recipient of that type of email and it asks the recipient whether or not they want to say they have received it. But thatnks for mentioning it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter