You HAVE to try this!! EBAY your way to DISNEY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with outlook, I have mine set so that it wont even ask me, if someone sends a return reciept...my outlook basically ignores it...

Okay- 4 more listed...gotta go get some more pictures taken..

Oh and for the record, I am not accepting credit cards at this time via paypal....Its just one more fee that I dont want to worry about. In all my years buying off ebay, I have never had a problem with going to get a money order, or bank check..

Brandy

Mudnuri - I have 2 PP accts. My default in eBay is to the credit card account. I always try to be by the PC when my auctions end and I try to invoice right away. In the invoice I give directions for both payment methods & provide both emails. Most of the time they use the credit card one, but one fellow with about a $100 purchase made sure he used the correct account. That was a nice fee savings!!! You do need 2 checking accts but most banks offer a 'free' checking account so that should help you out.

I also normally offer shipping discounts WITH THE CONDITION that multiple purchases be paid for in one payment. That way you at least save the .30 fee but still have the % fee. A small savings.

Books can run hot & cold. I did great last week, so-so this week. My ebay id is same as here so you could look at my completed auctions to get an idea of how they ran & how I described shipping. Just ignore this weeks auctions as I was on BeanieBaby cleaning craze. The books are all from the last 2 previous weeks auctions. If you like the looks of any of the templates, they are sparedollar.com and I LOVE them. You can do a 1 month free trial there.

I have only had one person apologize & say he missed that I wouldn't take a check. He emailed me right after invoice & apologized & said he could go pick up a MO in a few days unless I would take a check. I said go ahead with the check - I think it was a whole $2.50 - and I had no problems with it. I figured that amount would not break me.

It is technically not allowed to upcharge your shipping/handling to cover your ebay & PP fees. However you are allowed to upcharge your SH to cover supplies, gas, time (?) etc. I do upcharge & I know it is for my time but mentally I use it to offset my fees - know what I mean? My upcharges run anywhere from .50 to $1 - sometimes slightly higher if item would need add'l packaging, protection. I don't believe I have ever had a complaint on fees. A bit ago we dramatically miscalculated weight on an auction and overcharged shipping by about $5.50 even with a $1 or so h/f figured in. I emailed and offered to mail them a check or send them a PP refund and they said no -they were so happy with the purchase and the look on their daughters face when she saw all of her new clothes was worth way more anything so I should keep the $ and enjoy. I thought that was really sweet.

I am trying to decide whether or not to start a store and I'd like some feedback.

I can't seem to find what the regular listing prices for a store are. eBay is having a sale now which looks great but what are the regular prices?

also, I read on the FAQ that the store items don't come up in searches. how on earth would customers find your items??

thanks!

Originally posted by mudnuri
I agree with outlook, I have mine set so that it wont even ask me, if someone sends a return reciept...my outlook basically ignores it...

Okay- 4 more listed...gotta go get some more pictures taken..

Oh and for the record, I am not accepting credit cards at this time via paypal....Its just one more fee that I dont want to worry about. In all my years buying off ebay, I have never had a problem with going to get a money order, or bank check..

Brandy

Would you mind telling me how to set my outlook to do that? (I have outlook express if it makes a difference. Thanks!

I have Outlook Express also. All you have to do is after typing your email (this is very easy to forget to do), go into TOOLS and go down to Request Read Receipt. It will put a check mark next to the words Request Read Receipt and when the person reads the email, you will get that read receipt. There is no other indication on your email that you're sending except that little check mark next to the item under tools. Technically, they could decline to send the receipt, but i've not had that happen yet.

Originally posted by Kajunswty
I am trying to decide whether or not to start a store and I'd like some feedback.

I can't seem to find what the regular listing prices for a store are. eBay is having a sale now which looks great but what are the regular prices?

also, I read on the FAQ that the store items don't come up in searches. how on earth would customers find your items??

thanks!

I'm interested in knowing how people fare with the stores too!
Anyone?

Annemarie

Holy cow - whatever happened to the "150 Page Rule" for a thread?? :earseek:

Glad to see everyone's doing so well with Ebay. :)

Originally posted by JenBlaze
My very first auction just closed, and I made 20 bucks! *boogie*

Congrats JenBlaze!!! Your Disney trip is that much closer!!

Maggie

:wave2: I'm back again..

Been quite a crazy week or so.. Still trying to get over the pnuemonia (and I think I'm finally making progress); got terminated from my job for being out sick (was still on my probationary period so it's legal); saw my sis through the very unexpected death of her DH and then the burial; and tomorrow night I go to look at a house with my DD & her DH.. We're definitely moving in with them so even if this particular house isn't "the one", with spring coming it's only a matter of time until they DO find the perfect house.. That means I will be selling mine so I have to explore different ways of getting rid of things..

My question is: I have a few pieces of large antique furniture - as well as some retro pieces - that I would like to list on eBay for LOCAL pick-up only.. I'm not sure what to put in the payment terms though.. Would I put "cash only" upon pick-up?

Other items I'm going to try to sell in semi-large lots - like boxes full of similar items (once I can gather them all together) - and then stuff I don't think will sell all that well on eBay (my dishes, pots & pans, etc.) I'll probably have to hold a moving/garage sale (although I HATE holding them).. Also, I found a number in our little paper (could be an "ebayer") that says, "Anything you have to sell, we will probably buy" - so I might give them a call..

Any and all suggestions (I know some of you have moved recently) would be greatly appreciated..

I listed 21 items last week and 10 sold.. Only a few things went for more than the opening bid, but at least it's something now that I lost my job..

Hope the rest of you are seeing lots of GREEN !!!!!!;)

Would you mind telling me how to set my outlook to do that? (I have outlook express if it makes a difference. Thanks!

I have just sent an email to my brother, asking for instructions..he set mine up when I bought the new computer...I'll post as soon as I hear back from him...

Now I have a question for all of you.

I'm getting ready to list a bunch of Creative Memories stuff, and while doing my "homework" and checking the other listings etc.. I see where people put "i am not nor was I ever a Creative Memories consultant"....is there an actual statement I have to make in order to sell this stuff on there? I am not, nor have I ever been, I'm just a compulsive CM shopper!....I dont want to break any rules, and have my auctions pulled....

Thanks....

Brandy

C.Ann-

I have sold large outdoor childrens yard toys in the past..WAY BACK...and what I did was list them locally- with local pick up only, the person PAID first.....via money order if I remember correctly, and then we arranged for pick up of the items.

Also you mentioned pots/pans etc.. we have a 2nd hand store in our area that buys those types of things, probably not anywhere near new price, but I know a lot of people who have moved and sold those types of things to this store....I know when my dad moved from a rather large house to a much smaller one, they came and bought a large percentage of his "household stuff"..including dishes, pots pans, couches etc...might check that??

I am getting some other stuff ready to go up, I'm afraid I started with some items that my not sell well, such as movies etc... but I've got some kids clothes to go through still, and then a basement full of stuff we've kept over the years that we havent looked at in about 8...LOL...once I get threw my Creative Memories and Pampered Chef stuff, I'll move onto that stuff.

Oh- another question...if I dont get any bids on any of my items, can I relist them for a smaller fee than the original? I only listed with the minimal- no bold, no gallery etc...

Brandy

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH I was just doing my pampered chef research on ebay...............

I gotta get my butt off this chair and go get my pictures taken...I CANT believe what I saw...years ago we had a promotional deal where if you sold X dollars you got a huge showcase as they call it, the big case on wheels...so we didnt pay for them....you can though they cost 100 bucks...theres 1 on there now, and it opened on the 22nd- has 5 more days to go and it's at 70 bucks..the starting bid was 39.00 I was worried about putting a reserve on it, but I think I'll start where that lady did and see what happens...

oh- also found a watch that AGAIN we got for free, it's up over 10 bucks already...I better go find mine and dig it out LOL....

Okay I'm off to take some shots!

Brandy

emersonsmom, Can you tell me how you were able to get the different PayPal payment options in your listing? I have 2 PayPal accounts also, and would love to have that in mine so that I can lessen the stress at the end of the auction of people trying to pay into different accounts. Thanks, Sandy

Sandy
if you email me I can set it up for you with the HTML to insert in your listings.

Outlook Express also has a Return Receipt option so that you get a receipt when the mail was picked up by the person you sent to.

I agree, the outlook version is sufficent because the person could just click "no" when it asks if want to show the sender you read it or something like that. This readnotify I use is totally anonoymous (bad spelling, but Im tired!) And the person receiving the email doesn't even know you are tracking it. Not to mention it tells you how long they read it, how many times they opened it, and where they live :eek:

I'm interested in knowing how people fare with the stores too!

I just opened up an ebay store and last night alone I sold 6 things from it. I have so much stuff that i just want to get rid of dirt cheap. The problem is with ebay is that to list it in auction would cost so much that its not worth it to list low price items. But with the store feature it only costs .2 to list it in there and .1 for the gallery feature. The FVF are the same but again, its those insertion fees that are killer. Yes, stores do not show up in the ebay search (unless someone does a search by stores) So the key is to also have auctions listed at the same time, and then make a point to direct your buyers to your store.
MyAuctions

Would I put "cash only" upon pick-up?

When we've sold larger items, for local pick-up only, I generally switch to MO/cash/certified check for that (for large items)...and I put in the description, that payment is due within 5 days (since it's local). That usually gets the pick-up a little faster, since they don't want to mail money and then pick up (some do). I always try to do my best with descriptions, but with pick-up, I scour the item for any flaw..wouldn't want a deal to go bad upon pick-up. We've had people come locally from NYC and Rochester!
Doris

Originally posted by DMRick
When we've sold larger items, for local pick-up only, I generally switch to MO/cash/certified check for that (for large items)...and I put in the description, that payment is due within 5 days (since it's local). That usually gets the pick-up a little faster, since they don't want to mail money and then pick up (some do). I always try to do my best with descriptions, but with pick-up, I scour the item for any flaw..wouldn't want a deal to go bad upon pick-up. We've had people come locally from NYC and Rochester!
Doris
------------------------------------------

Okay.. So you're saying you have them pay BEFORE they actually come for pick-up - right?

Now I have to do some research.. There are several different tables (1 is an old enamel top - 1 is a huge dining room type - and 1 is a long, narrow table they may have called a "sofa table"??).. I also have a 3 very old dressers - one is solid oak and was my grandma's - a "pineapple" bed - and my grandma's "secretary" desk? (the kind with the pull-down front)..
Also have a Jenny Lind type crib and some other furniture.. Guess I'll try eBay first and if that doesn't work I'll go some other route..

I'll be sure to look for every teeny, tiny flaw! Good advice..

Emersonsmom -- Thanks for the info.! Very interesting ...I might give it a try!

C. Ann -- I know you have a lot going on right now. I'm sorry to hear of it all. You may want to look into the following when everything settles.

I registered for a program that's called, UPromise. My mom did too. (You may know about it already.) Well, you can name your child or grandchild (or grandchildren) to benefit through a "loyalty" type program. And there are a lot of ways that you can "earn" money for their education. One of the ways I wish I knew about when we sold my house is that some real estate companies contribute!!! Century 21 will give up to $3,000, so it's worth looking into for both you and your daughter (Isn't she selling her house too?)

The website is: www.upromise.com. Look under stores and services. Hope this is helpful.

And I hope all goes well for you!
Annemarie

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter