You HAVE to try this!! EBAY your way to DISNEY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by katerkat
How big do you need? I have a big box for my PC tower, plus several others (desk chair, etc) that were just put in the outside closet to go to the trash. If you want them, you can have them for the cost of shipping. (No idea how much that would be, though!)

Thanks so much for the offer! My DH ended up getting a set of 3 of Staples largest boxes for $12.

He is charging $25 handling fee plus actual shipping which I think is about $100!

He is a high priced item that at the very least will be $250 but may go up quite a bit at the last minute. It's a VERY old sought after computer.

Thanks for all the advice on boxes!

Do you have to pay taxes on the profit you make off of e-bay????

Legally, you need to claim all income you earn.

Assuming (which is prob not an accurate assumption), if you are selling your old clothes, toys, garage sale items, you have a receipt showing you paid more for the the item and are actually taking a lost (not claimable on taxes), then you would prob not owe anything. Technically you are suppose to only subtract what you paid, if you fill out a schedule C..but logically, the IRS seldom bothers with you if those are the type of items you are selling.

I surely couldn't give you a "real" answer to that question..since I wouldn't want to be responsible, if the IRS decided to make a case against you, or if one of your "friends" reported you.

Originally posted by beattyfamily
Thanks so much for the offer! My DH ended up getting a set of 3 of Staples largest boxes for $12.

He is charging $25 handling fee plus actual shipping which I think is about $100!

He is a high priced item that at the very least will be $250 but may go up quite a bit at the last minute. It's a VERY old sought after computer.

Thanks for all the advice on boxes!

The PC's we have mailed out are only about $25 from east coast to CA! We do charge a $10 handling/packaging fee plus shipping. On our laptops we charge $5 handling packing fee.

Note for these we use brand new boxes, and new (not recycled) bubble wrap.

I have an old computer (or two) at home. Would you mind telling what kind of computer is old and sought after for my information? Or PM me? I would love to know if mine fits the bill.

Originally posted by cpl100
I have an old computer (or two) at home. Would you mind telling what kind of computer is old and sought after for my information? Or PM me? I would love to know if mine fits the bill.

I would guess either at VIC 20 or a Texas Sinclair, or even a PC Jr. (IBM) .

It could also be a commodore 64 as well.

From selling PC's I can tell you that operating systems are key. If these now vintage PC's have the original 8.5 inch floppy drive (anyone remember those HUGE disks?) or the old DOS operating system could be worth something.

We are holding onto floppy copies (orignial) of some DOS systems, and selling those at the opportune time.

Originally posted by sylver2
Has anyone ever listed an item that Ebay took off because it was violating something, but yet you see dozens of others with the exact same listing, and theirs didn't get shut down?

You bet - I had a huge lot of cigarette coupons from my aunt and I actually checked the completed auctions and worded very comparable to that since I figured they were not in violation with the wording used. Mine was pulled one day later. It already had bids but I did not even have a chance to check to see the bidders names and then they had disappeared after it was pulled. And I'm talking about 200 or so completed - sold auctions and they pulled my one auction.

Originally posted by Cindy B
I would guess either at VIC 20 or a Texas Sinclair, or even a PC Jr. (IBM) .

It could also be a commodore 64 as well.

From selling PC's I can tell you that operating systems are key. If these now vintage PC's have the original 8.5 inch floppy drive (anyone remember those HUGE disks?) or the old DOS operating system could be worth something.

We are holding onto floppy copies (orignial) of some DOS systems, and selling those at the opportune time.
**sigh** That leaves me out. Thanks for answering, though.

Originally posted by beattyfamily
Anyone know where I can find very large boxes? My DH is selling a very heavy and very large very old computer on ebay.

Possibly check with your bank or credit union. That sounds pretty stupid, but we have been upgrading our PC's here at about 5 per month. Of course they all come in boxes that have to be flattened and sent to the recycling center. Also, we order from Quill 1 to 2 times per week (paper, supplies, etc) and our one eBay guy usually snatches most of those boxes quickly as they are nice and durable. I usually do Priority, but have grabbed a few I wanted to keep - odd sized things.

Originally posted by jgates
You bet - I had a huge lot of cigarette coupons from my aunt and I actually checked the completed auctions and worded very comparable to that since I figured they were not in violation with the wording used. Mine was pulled one day later. It already had bids but I did not even have a chance to check to see the bidders names and then they had disappeared after it was pulled. And I'm talking about 200 or so completed - sold auctions and they pulled my one auction.

It's almost funny that I had just read this message. I had 2 auctions of cigarette coupons that I listed yesterday (I quit smoking 1 month ago & no longer need the coupons! Yeah an extra $100/month in my Disney fund). Anyway, They pulled them today, just after I read this message. I was surprised that anyone would bid on coupons, but like you, I had seen over 200 completed auctions so I assumed it was ok to list! Live & learn! Sandy

Can someone enlighten me about the coupon issue? Is it the fact that it's cigarettes or coupons? I, too, have seen many coupon auctions. I noticed that the ones I read said that the bid was for their 'time' and that the actual coupons were free.

Thanks, curious as always!

Originally posted by bafmrf
I listed 11 different lots of spring and summer clothes and all but one sold this week. Most went for quite a bit more than my opening bid. Start listing. People want to buy....

Martha:wave:

I was wondering if it was too early to list for spring & summer clothes! Thanks! :)

(Haven't tried listing anything yet, just a buyer at this point. But I've been thinking about spring cleaning early...)

Annemarie

Originally posted by sandy3550
It's almost funny that I had just read this message. I had 2 auctions of cigarette coupons that I listed yesterday (I quit smoking 1 month ago & no longer need the coupons! Yeah an extra $100/month in my Disney fund). Anyway, They pulled them today, just after I read this message. I was surprised that anyone would bid on coupons, but like you, I had seen over 200 completed auctions so I assumed it was ok to list! Live & learn! Sandy

So you can' t put up the coupons for cigarettes.
I don't understand that since I have seen completed auctions for actual cigarettes.

I am upset because last night I had an item that was bid up to $200.00, it closed and the person paid right away.
Then ebay sends that violating policy email to all the bidders scares her and she asked for a refund.
Meanwhile the same darn item is sold and completed by others with no problem.

Originally posted by annemariec
I was wondering if it was too early to list for spring & summer clothes! Thanks! :)

(Haven't tried listing anything yet, just a buyer at this point. But I've been thinking about spring cleaning early...)

Annemarie

I'm not sure but I listed some tonight and I will tell you how it goes next week! I did a search on swimsuits and there were MANY of them all with bids!!!

Maggie

Re: Listing summer clothes

I sold two ladies swim suits and a beach cover-up last week for WAY over the listing price! I also sold some kids summer clothes. I think it's a great time to list summer clothes! Anyway, I know I'm starting to look for my own kids!

Good luck! Ebay has been a blessing to us for earning money for our trip!

Originally posted by cpl100

I'm am not the computer person in the family; it's my DH selling it but this is what the auction says: it's a "DEC PDP 8/e Chasis" whatever that means. It VERY very heavy (and old) and that is the reason for the $25 handling fee and he's charging actual shipping. Haven't got a clue what that will be. The $100 was a guess on my part since it's SO heavy.

I just started selling some stuff. Most are small ticket items.

I've sold about 4 or 5 things in the last week (not counting my DH's stuff) and I've heard from everyone except one person who won on February 16. It's only $5 plus shipping but I haven't heard a thing from them. I've sent an invoice and 2 more emails. I just want to know if they are sending a MO or check. Common courtesy IMHO.

I just checked and they have zero feedback and just became a member February 4. Should I already be worried? If I never hear from them can I relist or do I have to pay fees again? How does it work? When do I give up and leave negative feedback?

Thanks so much. This hasn't happened to me before. I get very anxious if I don't hear from someone within 3 days. I can't stand not knowing what's up.

Thanks!:sunny:

I clearly state that contact MUST be made within 3 days. And I stand firm on this, regardless of how much feedback they have. If they haven't contacted me, I send them one last email and track it (I have a email tracking service I use in situations like this, that verifys if they opened it) And if they don't respond, I pull their contact information and call them. This either scares them to contact me, or might tell me their email addy or phone number is wrong (thus an ebay violation and they will get suspended for it)

Here is the part of my payment terms which I have on each and every auction I have / had listed:

"Payment: I accept the following forms of payment (in order of preference)

Paypal, however my account is not set up to receive credit cards. I reserve the right to refuse Paypal payments from members who do not have a confirmed address.

Cashiers checks / money orders - please understand it will take time for them to clear my bank."

Of course on the actual auction page it's formatted a lot nicer. I have some of it underlined and then some bullets too.

I've had buyers pay me via credit card through Paypal (which I have to deny) and also some ask after they win if I'll accept a personal check.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can make my payment terms more clear? It's just getting to be very frustrating because it seems like my terms are not being read before bidding. Then I have to make exceptions (for the personal checks) and also tell the CC payers that they need to pay via another method and they're getting snippy with me.

Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter