You light ‘em, they fight ‘em! A GCV/Disneyland Resort December 2014 PTR- we're out!

rentayenta

DIS Veteran
You light ‘em, they fight ‘em! A GCV/Disneyland Resort December 2014 PTR!

:welcome: to my trip report, glad to have you! This trip will be a little different from the others as we are going with our very dear and long time friends and two of their children. The dads in our group are both Captain Paramedic firefighters and we’ve been friends with them for nearly two decades. We have shared births and deaths, triumphs and tragedies. Our guys are the bravest of the brave, risking their lives to save yours. I cannot put into words how proud I am of my guy. He’s a true hero. And my hero is going to DISNEYLAND! :firefight

We have always wanted to vacation together and we have, adults only; random trips to Vegas and concerts and the like but without the kids as we could never seem to pull it off. Both families have enjoyed the Disneyland Resort during the holidays but not at the same time. They haven’t stayed at the GCV but love the DLH. Their last holiday trip was about 6-7 years ago. We went last year for a quick two dayer. I can happily say this trip will be 3x that long. :woohoo: We’ll have 4 park days, one resort day, and a beach day.

The fellas got hired on at the same fire department (FD) nearly 20 years ago. We were all young and freshly married. They have remained brothers and partners at the FD all this time. These people are some of our dearest friends. They are family we’ve chosen. :grouphug:

Rewind to a few months ago. We had gone to dinner for DH’s birthday and were discussing Disney (go figure). I had the brilliant idea that we should all go this December. We had brought it up before but it never came to fruition; we couldn’t get the logistics right. This year that all changes!

After a few conversations sans the men, we just tell them what days they need off from the FD, we came up with a plan: basically anytime during the first 2- 2/12 weeks of December would work. Initially I had wanted Dec 1-7 as we’ll most likely be in Vegas for DS’s soccer tournament over Thanksgiving. It would be very easy to drive that Sunday to So Cal as we’d be 3/4 of the way there already. Our friends were fine with any dates but preferred the second week as it worked better with their schedules.

I told them to just plan on anytime within that first two weeks and I’ll take care of the rest.

I had been waking up every day at 5:30 am since May 1st to be on the computer and ready by 6 am to grab a villa at the GCV. Our chances from Dec 1-5 looked slim to none but once the 6th rolled around I could see what I wanted or what we could make work. Every night, the night before I could book, it looked promising but once 6 am came the following morning, my choices would be gone…..I was starting to panic. Like really panic. Before that my friend who owns at the GCV would check availability for me :-)thanks: Alison). I researched everything from split stays between the GCV and DLH/PPH to random off site properties to everything in between. :crazy2: As I type I realize I need to cancel 6 reservations.

Yesterday was the day I hit the jackpot. I woke up at 5:30, brewed my decaf, let the dogs out, logged into the DVC member’s site, and hit refresh no less than 20 times before 6 am. :lmao: I saw our dates open and nabbed them! There was also a one bedroom that showed available as well as more 2 bedrooms (you never know how many really) after I booked. They stayed available for about 15 minutes and then both got x’ed out for Dec 9. We were IN! Let’s do this! I am so excited to share DVC with them.

Where: the GCV, dedicated 2 bedroom. I’m currently doing homework, using the GCV super thread, on villa requests and everything GCV.

When: December 9-15.

Who: my family which is comprised of myself (Jenny), DH (Michael), DD17 (Gabby) , DD15 (Chloe), and DS13 (Joshua). Our friends have three daughters but only two will join us. The two joining us are 20 and 15. We’ll call them J (dad), H (mom), C (DD20), and K(DD15). Poor Joshua will be girl trapped once again. That makes a total 9 of us. Perfect for the 2 bedroom.

How: drive. I married a firefighter after all. They are not in it for the moola ;) In all honestly, I like to drive. We all do. Our children look forward to the road trip. It extends the vacation in an odd way. We listen to lots of Disney music and heck, Disney is only 5-6 Disney movies from home.

Here are a few too many photos of our motley crew….

Me and DH in Oregon:

Here we all are at Club 33 from March 2013:

1901 right before dinner at Club 33:

At an awards ceremony for the FD where DH was honored two-ish years ago:

Channeling our inner Gear and Winger at said awards ceremony:

Here are some older pics of DH doing what he does:

More of us at Disney throughout the years. I’ll apologize now for going a little nuts. :blush: I haven’t seen some of these photos in ages.

Us Disneyland 2013:

At AKV in 2012:

Epcot 2012:

Jedi Chloe:

At the GCV enjoying some gingerbread men and hot chocolate:

Continued in next post......​

Continued....

Disneyland 2013:

Us, PP in DCA 2011:

IMG_2552.jpg

Disneyland 2011:

IMG_2655.jpg

IMG_2752.jpg

Adventureland. This is one of my all time favorite pictures:

Boys on the Monorail:

WDW 2009:

fce0768db3705d923f8db84e02a021dc.jpg

3612e3790e08daba29feb510826fb960.jpg

9c57b45682b71398160c2601e04198a1.jpg

WDW 2007:

e3bf1ebed4796a1ba38685e18cfb47a9.jpg

Enough of the more recent, let’s kick it old school, say 9-10 years or so…..

Chloe with Princess Atta:

With the main Mouse:

ToonTown:

James P Sullivan:

Aladdin:

Goofy’s Kitchen with Donald:

Mickey love:

I know it’s a little too far to plan much but my goodness I am keeping myself busy reading menus and drooling over GCV photos.

Again, thank you for joining me. Only 211 days until our trip! :woohoo:

Up next: a rough itinerary, past DVC resort pics, and random trip musings.

This looks like a great group of friends and wonderful folks to take a trip with!

I'm in!

This looks like a great group of friends and wonderful folks to take a trip with!

I'm in!

:goodvibes Glad you're here! They are really wonderful friends. Keep fitbitting girl, you're going to need the energy for our afternoon together. :thumbsup2

I realized after I posted this, lots of my friends here have just left for trips. :blush:

Thanks for sending out a beacon. I am here and I love the picture of the kiddos with Sully. They were so little.

I'm here! Thanks for the bat signal.

Love the pictures of the kids when they were little. Your hubby is rather handsome in his uniform...love your Officer and a Gentleman pose. :)

Jill in CO

Thanks for sending out a beacon. I am here and I love the picture of the kiddos with Sully. They were so little.

:goodvibes Thanks for coming over. They were so little, I can't believe it. Soon you'll be looking back 10 years and wondering where the time went. ;)

OMG! How CUTE are all those throwback pictures!

I'm in!

:woohoo: Howdy! I know you're on the way to WDW. Have a blast!​

I'm here! Thanks for the bat signal.

Love the pictures of the kids when they were little. Your hubby is rather handsome in his uniform...love your Officer and a Gentleman pose. :)

Jill in CO

:blush: I like that pose too. People think we're nuts! :rotfl: Glad you're here.​

A little DVC history. We purchased DVC through Disney in May 2009 with SSR as our home resort. We have stretched our points pretty far in my opinion. I am always in a state of borrow and this trip won’t be any different. :blush: I am currently on the wait list for points at the GCV. C’mon Rob Shapiro (my guide), mama needs an add-on! :woohoo:

We have stayed at OKW in a GV with our friends. That was our first DVC experience. It was during this trip that we bought DVC.

Our first official use of points was our trip to Cabo. Odd I know to trade out but we had just been to WDW and our contract came with an extra set of points. We chose the Playa Grande in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico.

Our next use of DVC was at the GCV, a 2 bedroom with our friends, the same ones who treated us to the GV at OKW. It was our turn to treat and we were more than happy to do so!

In 2012 we did a mega trip to WDW staying at the THV at SSR and AKV Kidani in a 2 bedroom. Both are amazing resorts.

We have also used our points for short trips and random nights at the GCV and even traded points for stays at the DLH a few times.

Purchasing DVC has been the best vacation decision we’ve made. We love the pools, the restaurants, the villas, the service, and the pleasure of staying somewhere beautiful adds to our vacation. :cloud9:

Here is a photo tour of some of my favorite DVC moments. Enjoy!

Earning beads for his necklace/keychain at AKV:

Roasting marshmallows at AKV:

Enjoying a glass of wine at AKV:

AKV villa view Jambo, 2009:

Kidani view, 2012:

THV:

Kitchen full of groceries at the THV:

Cheers from the pool at SSR:

This never gets old:

Flipping omelets in the OKW GV kitchen:

View from loft in OKW GV:

Continued in next post....​

2 bedroom at the GCV:

Kitchen at GCV. I love my kitchens even on vacation:

Poolside GCV:

What a view GCV:

Villa pics of the Playa Grande and Cabo:

2030151742863745ff20d4d01a3f38f9.jpg

eee81a68c2397be7a190a924d4225e0d.jpg

a0575d54f49421b14acb0e2714f28993.jpg

4d3f7483d1e4074d720c5238dbe07b1e.jpg

8b461d73269a721d1bf992fc60747647.jpg

321a55dd8376d4f9d6d20de25e78fade.jpg

5f1e6b6e2679793fd73b023b7d10e276.jpg

2d042e19a168a40b74fb2204673662c6.jpg

153b1f2f85e6d69c185bd1320398f7bf.jpg

21d5b600cc9309a69efd9c8c0d598557.jpg

88e40e9ec6e9c201763b9a27a4d3758e.jpg

Post Boma coma:

Pin trading with Kingpin at AKV:

Bread service and wine at Sanaa:

AKV pool party loot:

GCV tree:

The above are just a small sample of the magical moments we’ve shared via DVC. pixiedust: Looking forward to sharing the love this December with our friends and each other.

To be continued......

Subbing in and marking my spot. :wave:

ETA.
Just finished reading the intro and I love all the family pictures. Wonderful to see your kids growing up in them....and what amazing memories and family vacations you and Michael have had.

Congrats on scoring the 2-bedroom villa at GC. Sounds like its going to be a great 6 days.

I am here and very excited for your next trip report. Loved your last one! I can feel your excitement and that is always a great time to start a PTR, I started mine too but don't have to wait quite as long as you. One of Alison's pointers for my report was to include lots of pictures and she said if I wanted you to read it I need lots of my family! She wasn't kidding. You love your pictures! :rotfl: BUT, don't worry because I do too! Loved your little walk down memory lane- it makes me sad how fast the kids grow and change. I remembered your groceries before I ever even saw the pictures! You with the groceries, Alison with the meat in her suitcase.........see all these things take up space in my brain and I can't remember things like where I put my keys. :confused3 Anyway I am reading along and very excited for a CA trip!

Jenny, you're like a walking DVC advertisement! I love it!

I can't believe the growing up pictures of your kids! I remember subbing in to your GCV TR and what the kids looked like then, now Gabby has straight hair (I am getting the girls right and not mixed up? :confused3 :rotfl:)

So looking forward to hanging out with you when you come for this trip. We'll have to pick the day, Christmas season gets busy so we'll have to pick our date well in advance. Somehow I don't think that will be a problem for you!

Yay for pouring over the menus! There are so many great places to eat out there. I was just telling Jill that even if you can get in all the attractions you want, you have to have enough days to eat at all the great places there, you can't rush your tummy! :lmao:

Subbing in and marking my spot. :wave:

ETA.
Just finished reading the intro and I love all the family pictures. Wonderful to see your kids growing up in them....and what amazing memories and family vacations you and Michael have had.

Congrats on scoring the 2-bedroom villa at GC. Sounds like its going to be a great 6 days.

:welcome: friend! Thank you! I was like losing sleep over that dang 2 bedroom. :scared:

I am here and very excited for your next trip report. Loved your last one! I can feel your excitement and that is always a great time to start a PTR, I started mine too but don't have to wait quite as long as you. One of Alison's pointers for my report was to include lots of pictures and she said if I wanted you to read it I need lots of my family! She wasn't kidding. You love your pictures! :rotfl: BUT, don't worry because I do too! Loved your little walk down memory lane- it makes me sad how fast the kids grow and change. I remembered your groceries before I ever even saw the pictures! You with the groceries, Alison with the meat in her suitcase.........see all these things take up space in my brain and I can't remember things like where I put my keys. :confused3 Anyway I am reading along and very excited for a CA trip!

:welcome: I'll go find your report.

They do grow so fast. Its bittersweet for sure. I've enjoyed all the stages but in all honesty I'm loving these teenage years.

Alsion is right, we love LOTS of photos! :thumbsup2

Jenny, you're like a walking DVC advertisement! I love it!

:blush: I own it. :lmao:

I can't believe the growing up pictures of your kids! I remember subbing in to your GCV TR and what the kids looked like then, now Gabby has straight hair (I am getting the girls right and not mixed up? :confused3 :rotfl:)

Chloe is the middle who now has straight hair. Go to FB. ;)

So looking forward to hanging out with you when you come for this trip. We'll have to pick the day, Christmas season gets busy so we'll have to pick our date well in advance. Somehow I don't think that will be a problem for you!

No problem at all. :woohoo: We'll plan. I am updating soon with a rough itinerary.​

Yay for pouring over the menus! There are so many great places to eat out there. I was just telling Jill that even if you can get in all the attractions you want, you have to have enough days to eat at all the great places there, you can't rush your tummy! :lmao:

I agree. Our friends haven't tried very many places. Steakhouse 55 is on my must list. Not sure they'd love Napa....Plaza Inn for sure as well as the Hearthstone Lounge, my favorite part of the GCV. :cloud9:

Sorry for the delay in updates, I've been working on one for the cruise report too. :flower3:

I've been doing some research on last year's hours to semi-predict this year's hours because I'm a freak like that and this is what I came up with. Our plan, as of now, is to have a resort/DTD day, a beach day, and 4 park days. Michael wants 3 park days, 2 beach days, and one resort day. If he'd promise the that it would go Disneyland 2, DCA 1, then I may agree. ;) Hoppers are still up in the air though I am leaning against it kind of. Last year we did a one day/one park trip for two days and loved it. It was so relaxing to be able to stay put, not worrying about what is going on in the other park. Having said that, with a potential of 4 park days, I can see us wanting to hop days 3 and 4. Thankfully that decision doesn't need to be made anytime soon unless Disney raises ticket prices.

It was just posted in the holiday super thread that Disneyland may be doing a Christmas party like WDW does. I don't know what that'll do to our plans in terms of fireworks and non park day etc but we'll see. So for now, my best guesstimated park hours look like this:

Tuesday, December 9

Disneyland 9-9
Fireworks 7:30
F!
MM/EMH 8-9

DCA 9-8
WoC 8:15

Wednesday, December 10

Disneyland 9-9
F!

DCA 9-8
EMH 8-9

Thursday, December 11

Disneyland 9-9
F!
MM/EMH 8-9

DCA 9-8

Friday, December 12

Disneyland 9-12
Fireworks 9:30
F! 9 & 10:30

DCA 9-10
WoC 9 & 10:15
EMH 8-9

Saturday, December 13

Disneyland 8-12
MM/EMH 7-8

DCA 8-11

Sunday, December 14

Disneyland 8-12

DCA 8-11

According to last year's calendar, the fireworks play nightly but F! shows only on the weekends. WoC plays nightly as well, twice on weekends.

Our rough itinerary looks like this:

Dec 8: SLC to Vegas, need to decide on hotel for the night. I'm leaning towards the MGM Grand right now but it's subject to change based on finding the best deal.

Dec 9: Vegas to Anaheim, grocery store, check into GCV, pool, DTD, general resort day

Dec 10: parks

Dec 11: parks

Dec 12: beach (weather permitting)

Dec 13: parks

Dec 14: parks

Dec 15: Anaheim to SLC or Anaheim to Vegas for the night then onto SLC the following day.

Our beach day will be dependent on the weather but ideally I'd like it right smack in the middle. :teeth:

I would swap the beach day so that you're not planning park days on Saturday and Sunday, but that's just me.

Keep planning!

I would swap the beach day so that you're not planning park days on Saturday and Sunday, but that's just me.

Keep planning!

I thought about that but like to book end my beach day with Disney but we could do 3 park days, beach, final park day.

I'm afraid if Disney does a west coast very of MVMCP it may affect weekday hours. I don't know what to expect and I wish we'd hear either way and soon. :hyper:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter