Your first trip to Disney, what you remember ?

I was 3 on my first trip to WDW so I don’t remember anything. My second trip I was 8, and I remember the scary alien ride that eventually became the Stitch ride (mid-90s). It was terrifying. I remember getting pictures and autographs with Chip ‘n’ Dale in the parks and a character breakfast with Goofy. Our room was at the very end of a hallway, I think maybe at AOA? I have never seen pictures from either trip and didn’t return until my mid 20s (2014).
Sounds like your first trip was in the early 90s? AoA didn't open until much later (2012). Even the All Stars weren't open until the mid 90s. Could it have been CBR or POR (which used to be called Dixie Landings)?

All Star Sports 94
All Star Music 94
All Star Movies 99

Pop Century 2003
AoA 2012

CBR 88
POFQ 91
POR 92
CSR 97

Ah, what they hey

CR 71
Poly 71
FW 71
GF 88
WL 94
AKL 2001

S/D 90
Y&B 90
BW 96

OKW 91
SS 2004

If you figure it out, let us know! :laughing:

For nostalgia's sake, who else remembers AoA when it was first built and slated as being the other half of Pop Century aka "The Legendary Years" (1900-40s)? The economy tanked and the whole resort sat empty and dark for a long time before they "reimagined" it as AoA w family suites, something previously lacking at WDW.

For nostalgia's sake, who else remembers AoA when it was first built and slated as being the other half of Pop Century aka "The Legendary Years" (1900-40s)? The economy tanked and the whole resort sat empty and dark for a long time before they "reimagined" it as AoA w family suites, something previously lacking at WDW.

I remember being excited for The Legendary Years to open and driving past that blank unthemed building on the way in for years (now LM buildings, I think).

I was 3 on my first trip to WDW so I don’t remember anything. My second trip I was 8, and I remember the scary alien ride that eventually became the Stitch ride (mid-90s). It was terrifying. I remember getting pictures and autographs with Chip ‘n’ Dale in the parks and a character breakfast with Goofy. Our room was at the very end of a hallway, I think maybe at AOA? I have never seen pictures from either trip and didn’t return until my mid 20s (2014).

I love Chip and Dale! I love how you have your character sightings count in your signature. What a fun thing to do each trip.

Sounds like your first trip was in the early 90s? AoA didn't open until much later (2012). Even the All Stars weren't open until the mid 90s. Could it have been CBR or POR (which used to be called Dixie Landings)?

All Star Sports 94
All Star Music 94
All Star Movies 99

Pop Century 2003
AoA 2012

CBR 88
POFQ 91
POR 92
CSR 97

Ah, what they hey

CR 71
Poly 71
FW 71
GF 88
WL 94
AKL 2001

S/D 90
Y&B 90
BW 96

OKW 91
SS 2004

If you figure it out, let us know! :laughing:

Thanks for the post sharing when each of the resorts opened. I too remember "The Legendary Years", especially the speculation threads here on the DIS discussing when it would ever finish being developed, etc. I will staying at POP for the first time this summer and I expect I might have the chance to mosey across the bridge to see AoA for myself. I have only stayed at the mods before so this will be a whole new experience for me.

I was 16 when we went to DL in 1960. The line for the Matterhorn was 2 hours so we skipped it. My parents made us use all the tickets in the book before we could buy more E tickets at 50 cents each. I was disappointed that there was a strip of metal down the middle of the track of Autopia so I couldn’t zig zag very far. Of course there were no fast passes, we rode all the E rides except the Matterhorn. The monorail went to the hotel. It cost 50 cents to ride. My father wouldn’t let us ride.

My first trip was 1992, my second (the one I described) was 1997. The only reason I know is because we got 20th and 25th anniversary luggage tags. I was thinking AOA because I feel like there were The Little Mermaid decorations in the hall but I’m not sure. I can pretty much guarantee that it was whatever hotel was the absolute cheapest in 1997 since my parents really didn’t even want to go at all. I know for sure the bedroom was a separate room from the living area.

I love Chip and Dale! I love how you have your character sightings count in your signature. What a fun thing to do each trip.
Thanks! It doesn’t include my childhood trips since I’ve never seen pictures, but I do know I actually met Chip ‘n’ Dale twice. I remember looking through my autograph book and Chip ‘n’ Dale’s signatures were different on different pages. That’s how I knew one set of Chip ‘n’ Dales were IMPOSTERS! I remember being very indignant over that. 😂

I went to Disneyland for the first time in 1976. I have a picture of me with Dopey, I'm wearing a big coat, so it must have been cold that day. I honestly don't remember that moment though. I have vague memories of the Bicentennial decorations. The one thing I do remember is the Witch on Snow White, I remember being scared to death of her.

Figment and Body Wars kinda?

Remembering getting an Epcot hat.

I probably should have went to Magic Kingdom instead with the rides because I remember not being overly wowed by Epcot. Now I love going.

I was 40 the first time and was so impressed with the immersive feel and level of detail. I especially remember POTC and HM and wanting to ride them repeatedly to catch every detail. It was so different than all the other theme parks I had been to, Hershey, Kings Dominion, Six Flags, Busch Gardens. I rode every single ride, even coasters, which I always skipped, because I wanted to experience every bit of detail.

First time I went I was 3. I remember the a yellow submarine! (20k leagues under the sea ride) Told my mom about it a few years ago she thought I was crazy until I found the pics in her attic!

I remember how angry I was for my parents never taking me as a child. The first time I went was with my 2 year old son and newborn daughter.

I was older than most for my first trip in. I was 40! Growing up in a large family Disneyland or WDW was a pipe dream.
I wasn't quite as old as you for my first trip, but I think I was also probably a bit older than the average first-timer at the age of 30! The year after my wife and I were married, her parents took us to Disneyland for a surprise anniversary gift! I hadn't been further south than North Dakota at that point and I definitely had no plans to go to any Disney park. We stayed at the Staybridge Suites in a $500 a night room, which at the time I thought was a crazy price for a hotel! I honestly don't remember too much about Disneyland from that trip, but I do know that it hadn't quite hooked me yet. The next year, we went to WDW and we've both been Disney fanatics since! Not to say I didn't like Disneyland, but for some reason it took the second trip to turn us into park junkies! We go to WDW once or twice a year for about 7-14 days and every 2-3 years we head to Disneyland as well. We've also been on a few Disney cruises now! If we didn't live over 2000 miles away, we would go way more, but spending a few thousand on flights for a weekend trip is just a bit much.

May of 1994... I was 9, soon to be 10.

I remember driving down with my parents and older sister, who would've been 20 at the time. I had a comfy pallet made in the back of our minivan (seatbelts for children weren't that important in 1994, LOL).

We stayed at Caribbean Beach and I remember liking the pools more than the parks!

I got lost from my family on our Universal Day and rode Jaws by myself, totally unconcerned. When we exited the park, we got asked to preview a TV show and give a review of it. I want to say it was called the Office (but not THE OFFICE, lol). It never became a show... [edit, I looked it up and apparently it did become a show, called The Office, for 5 episodes in 1995 and it starred Valerie Harper]

Watched Tower of Terror being built and felt devastated I couldn't ride it yet (and didn't get to until my next trip in 2012).

We had breakfast with Aladdin one morning. There was also a parade with Aladdin in it and I remember spitting camels.

We have a picture of me laying under a steam roller ... I think it was a Roger Rabbit display.

I LOVED the Honey I Shrunk the Kids playground.

I lost my hat on Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. :(

We never saw ANY fireworks because my parents got tired too early. I don't even think I knew there was nighttime entertainment.

Last edited:
I was a month shy of turning 11.

My DBro (8) wandered off in Tomorrowland and was missing for 4-hours. A nice woman noticed that he was alone and reported it to security and sat with him near the HM until we collected him.

Pinocchio stepped on my toe when I tried to greet him and get his autograph. I haven't liked him since.

We learned that Elvis had died on our way back to the hotel that night. Mom was very upset.

It was 1973 and I had just turned 7. We drove from Minnesota to Florida--my parents, brother, Grandma, and Grandma's sister. The Magic Kingdom was the only park, and I have vague memories of the Tomorrowland Speedway (you got a "license" back then), It's a Small World, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, The Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mansion, Dumbo, Swiss Family Robinson Tree House, and Country Bear Jamboree. I also got my first set of Mickey ears.

We stayed at the Contemporary Hotel for $50 a night--expensive for the '70's. We swam at the Polynesian pool that had a slide that went through a waterfall (they encouraged pool hopping back then). But what I remember the most was that my parents left us kids with my Grandma to go to a luau at the Poly, and I was soooo upset that I couldn't go with them.

There are some pictures from Busch Gardens, where we also went on that trip, but I don't remember that at all.

However, I vividly recall some of the hotels we stayed at along the way, my dad changing a flat tire, having a picnic while it was raining, and the alligator that walked up a relative's driveway where they lived in St. Petersburg. Funny, the stuff that sticks with us.

I was young and remember being terrified in the Haunted Mansion because you my young brain it was so realistic.

My first trip to Walt Disney World was in 2005. My dh had to “convince” me that this would be a wonderful vacation! It was - and I was hooked! Our children loved all the rides, the hotel (Coronado Springs), and the restaurants ( Chef Mickey’s) Our first ride was the Astro Orbiter- then Space Mountain - what a great start to our vacation!!!!! Eventually we added a few days to Universal to change it up a bit. Next year my dh and I are planning 10 days at AKL (loved it in 2018). Perhaps our children will be able to come for a few days. I miss our family vacations. :love:

I don't remember if it was exactly my first trip, but it's the youngest I can remember (I was maybe around age 7?) so I'm going to count it. My family took a trip to Disneyland with a family friend who had a daughter around our age. The only thing I remember is that we had come back to the hotel to swim for the afternoon, and as evening set in my mom was really excited to take us back to the park. She asked what we wanted to do, and our friend wanted to keep swimming. My little sister and I wanted to keep playing with her, so we agreed to stay swimming too. And I very clearly remember the look of utter disappointment on my mom's face. In the end, my older sister ended up going with her while we stayed behind, but even in that moment I realized how bad I felt and regretted my choice. I still feel guilty about it today, especially since I know the odds of my mom ever going back to the park are slim to none.

Staying at my grandparents condo, having the stomach flu, and drinking flat Sprite.

Oddly, I had a memory of riding a gondola and only recently saw a photo of the old gondolas at Magic Kingdom and about fell over. I thought that “memory” was a dream, but there my dream was! So, I suppose my first Disney memory (i.e. not just being sick on the trip) is those gondolas.

This would have been over Christmas in 1977. I had just turned 4 days before.

ETA: Apparently, it was called the Skyway and it closed in 1999. That is surprising because I was in Magic Kingdom in 1989 and I don’t remember it being there.

Last edited:

All Star Sports 94
All Star Music 94
All Star Movies 99

Pop Century 2003
AoA 2012

CBR 88
POFQ 91
POR 92
CSR 97

Ah, what they hey

CR 71
Poly 71
FW 71
GF 88
WL 94
AKL 2001

S/D 90
Y&B 90
BW 96

OKW 91
SS 2004..........................

I seem to recall the --- Resort Community of Lake Buena Vista ---- staying in the original Tree House Villas and the Vacation Villas.

Some historical information here >>>>

http://2719hyperion.blogspot.com/2010/03/lake-buena-vista-story-part-one-1969.html

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter