Your first trip to Disney, what you remember ?

We lived in Florida when Disney World first opened. We went several times when I was young so I only have vague memories. I used to love the magic shop on Main Street and bought some liquid smoke there once. Back then characters used to walk around the park and I remember seeing Thumper and Captain Hook. My favorite thing was riding the monorail.

That this is where Dick and Jane live, in their sidewalk framed neighborhood and all those green trees....oh sure, Joshua Tree had trees...but a little short on the shade and for sure the village had no sidewalks. And for once the Prophet Walt Disney was spinning the blessed future with his wall size map of Disneyland....even to this day...who has a wall size map that points the way to happiness

I was an adult. It was October of 1992 and it was me, my Mom, my sister's mother-in-law (she and my Mom were friends), and two of her daughters. My sister's mother-in-law is a piece of work, and my chief memories are of her being a total pain in the butt, loudly and often.

I do remember parts of the first day. We went to the MK, and the first thing I ever rode in WDW was 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, and our dinner the first night was at Tony's Town Square. We were staying at the Polynesian. I also remember getting really dressed up to go to the luau show.

I was a teenager and it was during the 20th anniversary in 1991. Since I was older I remember a lot but the things that stand out were:

• Sorcerer's Apprentice was being released from the vault for the first time in a while so Sorcerer Mickey was everywhere.
  • The Main Street Electrical Parade
  • All the 20th Anniversary merchandise and that logo
  • Eating at a little breakfast place named "The Kettle" each morning on the way in (we stayed off property)
  • News broke about Jeffrey Dahmer during that trip so that was all over the TV in the evening.
My best friend had gone the year before and had a lot of home movies and the picture guides so I was hooked even before we went.

Oo this is a good zombie thread.

I had two childhood trips, so some memories may be crossed. I recall it rained one day while we were there, and I also recall multiple visits to the magic shop. .

There was the Main Street Electrical Parade, most of the popular rides including the now long gone 20,000 Leagues and Snow White rides. I rode the Haunted Mansion twice on both childhood WDW visits, and while I rode Space Mountain, my dad actually had to convince me to ride Thunder Mountain (and I did!) Various spots in EPCOT too, including that one Figment area (I recall a 3D movie, and an activity area). As a kid you get so blown away by everything, and I think part of the appeal is it's presented in a way that adults can like it too, so it doesn't feel like a big stupid Nickelodeon set created for toddlers.

One thing that really stayed with me was the atmosphere of some areas. One in particular, likely near Pirates or Jungle Cruise, I recall wooden structures and misted water, and a very noticeable post-rain scent to the place. It made you feel like you were in a genuine, exotic location.

Last edited:

I was like 4. It was 1986ish.

The only thing I think I remember was the family portrait at Pirates of the Caribbean. I thought dressing up in smelly leather and getting to hold the pirate gun was the coolest thing ever.

Oh, and getting to ride for 3 hours in my dads work van that he outfitted with a couch. That was cool too.

1990, Fiancee and I and another couple did a 3 day Big Red Boat/3 day DW trip. Stayed at Carribean Beach. I remember going into a building at the entrance to Epcot to make a dinner reservation. It was kind of like a video chat with a cast member (pretty cool!), and we went to Japan pavilion that night for dinner. Was amazed at the Universe of Energy ride!

It was Jan 1974, Winter/Christmas college break. My best buddy and I decided to take a road trip to California (we were in Illinois). We took a side trip from LA to Disneyland before heading up to San Francisco. We were both amazed at all the attractions, there was nothing like it in the Midwest. My buddy had a quick wit. As we were standing in line at the Haunted Mansion towards the end of park hours, the sun had set and there was this great full moon. My buddy elbows me and points up at the moon and says "Man those Disney Imagineers are really good". This started a life long love of Disney that has seen me go more than 50 times between WDW / Disneyland.

My first trip to wdw was in dec 95. A week before my vacation I hit a deer. My car was in the shop getting fixed. Had a rental car. Only had one car back than. We were just going to Virginia. When we got to around dc asked my wife if she wanted to go to wdw. She said yea. Had to stop in Jacksonville. for summer clothes. Didn’t know anything about wdw back than. Went to mgm asked a cast member where all the good rides are at. She told me magic kingdom. So next day went there. Wouldn’t let us board the monorail had to wait over a hour.. they had early park opening for resort guests.

Back in the early 90's when being on property was like being in a movie set, it was the most amazing sort of experience back then.
DIsney Land first and WDW second, happy memories.

Waiting in line for 20,000 Leagues. That, and begging for a few extra ride tickets! Also remember If you had Wings pretty vividly....

First trip doesn't count as I remember nothing. DL 1965. I was 5. That's it. Went to Knots Berry Farm too and remember just as much.
First trip I remember was 1976. It must have been spring break because we didn't have to take off school. I went with my girlfriend's family. Mom and dad, two daughters and their young brother. My girlfriend's sister's boyfriend went too. We stayed at Fort Wilderness. They had a pop up camper and the other boyfriend and I slept in a pup tent. Temperature must have been nice as I don't recall it being too hot. We went to the Magic Kingdom a couple of times, it was the only thing there. We rode the boat over to the Contemporary and hung out. I remember being underwhelmed and that the stores inside closed early. I enjoyed the water parade and renting those little speedboats. River Country was a blast. Sadly most of the details of that trip are gone now.

1973? 74?

There was only the Magic Kingdom, The Contemporary, Polynesian, and Fort Wilderness.

I was young so unsure what I remember from memory or pictures and reminiscimg.

I do remember E tickets being special, the Luau, pony rides at Fort Wilderness, and my older sister making my Mom ill spinning the teacups.

But for some weird reason the basement of the Contemporary is a strong memory, specifically seeing Blackbeard? Blackbeard's Ghost? and The Parent Trap in the mini movie theatre down there. What a very strange thing to be focused on, with such magical things all around me.:laughing:

Christmas 1986. Me at 5, my mother, grandparents and great-grandmother. I remember riding Dumbo, it being packed and being on my grandfather's shoulders as he looked over the edge of the drawbridge into the moat at Cinderella's Castle. I got so scared when he stood back up straight I had two handfuls of his hair that I had ripped out of his head. I didn't go back until my honeymoon in 2009.

My first trip was in May 1972 to WDW (22 years old) , I was discharged from the service on my way to S Florida to start college. MK was new, clean, uncrowded, it was magical place. Fell in love with the place. I can remember there was always some one dressed in wihite keeping the place clean, the restrooms were spotless. parking cost 50 cents and riding the trams being told remember the number where your car was. Spent the day there and there was only the Poly and the Contemporary Resorts. Remember thinking one day I would like to stay at on of them 1977 spent our honeymoon at the Contemporary ($45 a night)

Last edited:
My first trip wasn't until late 20s. My husband and I took a plane into Orlando, also my first time to Florida, and I was just awed by the gorgeous plants and palm trees and bird sounds stepping out of the airport, felt like I was on the islands and in heaven. Then onto Caribbean Beach Resort where I had a pink purple building which were my favorite colors, where there were parrots also :lovestruc and then onto the parks which were so magical with the parades and fireworks and all of it, I was just blown away and in love. It was truly a very magical experience.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter