You're Livin' the Dream, Mater Boy! *Aug 2010*(WE'RE HOME and HAD A GREAT TRIP!!!!)

Hi Karen!
I'm joining you super-late! Your journey to becoming a runner is so inspiring! Keep up the good work!!!

Amanda

Hi Karen!
I'm joining you super-late! Your journey to becoming a runner is so inspiring! Keep up the good work!!!

Amanda

Hi Amanda!
Thanks for joining in! Better late than never!!! I'm looking forward to reading about your running too! Our trips are getting SO CLOSE!!! :cool1:
Karen

Having a great day today. Today is Dan and my 9 year anniversary!! So tonight we are taking the kids to grandma's and heading out for a nice dinner together! I'm really looking forward to it!

This morning I decided to finish up making the family T-shirts!! Another thing off my to-do list!! Today I did 4 "First Visit" shirts and then had a couple of transferes and Adult T's left so I made 2 Hollywood Studios Ts for Dan and I. I think I'll pick up a couple "Cars" theme t's for the kids for our HS day, I saw some at Walmart a couple weeks ago that were cute.

So here is what I got done:
DSC00860.jpg
DSC00859.jpg

In all I made 16 shirts! Here they all are:
DSC00862.jpg

I can't believe I made this many and I'm completely amazed by people who make shirts for large groups or for every single day of their trip! I only made shirts for 4 days and it took me forever!!! But I love them all and am very glad that they are done.

I think now I have all of my project stuff done. I do have "invites" for Chef Mickeys to print our for the kids and make little envelopes for Mickey to "deliver" to our room, but that won't take too long to make. Other than that I think I'm pretty well set! Just a few last things to pick up from the store - ponchos, some goodie bag items, couple kids t's.

WOW - 16 DAYS!:banana:

OMGOSH 16 days, you are getting so close!!!! So excited for you guys! :banana::banana::banana:

So, we're at 15 days today!! :banana:

I didn't do a real lot today except bring up our 2 big suitcases and 2 carry-on bags from the basement! I didn't really need them right now but they've been sitting down there unused for a bunch of years now, so I wanted to bring them up and clean them out. Plus I just like having them up here and ready to go!! :)

On the running front....
Tonight I have to go out for my long run and planning an 11 mile run tonight! I spent some time talking to a co-worker of mine who runs and she gave me some good tips and advice. Monday I went and got new running shoes, I've been needing them badly, mine were very inexpensive shoes I got back in March when I started all this, so it was time to get some better ones. My shins have been bothing me the last couple of runs and they haven't hurt at all in months, so it may have been the shoes.

So I went to one of those running stores where they analyze your foot and fit you for shoes, so that was kind of fun. I also got a handheld water bottle that I can carry along with me so I don't get so thirsty along the way (being 3 miles from home and needing water really sucks!). My friend also recommended some "fueling" products to help with energy on long runs, so I got a few things and will experiment with those tonight - got some PowerBar Gels and Sports Beans. She said anything over about 7 miles and you really need to be giving your body a little extra fuel along the way. So, between the shoes, the water, and the fuel, I should be in for a decent run tonight. Keeping my fingers crossed that it will be better than last weeks!!! I hope I can make the whole 11 miles! :goodvibes

I have been lurking on your PTR for a while now. But had to post when I saw your running goals debate.

For me, I need a race to keep me training. It is much easier for me to get those runs in when I know I will soon have to toe the line. Typically, half training programs have you max out at 10 miles so if you have already done a 10 miler, you are ready! Just because that 10 miler was hard doesn't mean you won't have a great race. Race day is a totally different thing, the crowds, the support of fellow runners, its unreal!! I say go for it with the only goal to be to finish and have a great time. When I finished my first half I had tears in my eyes, the sense of accomplishment is unreal!! What race is it BTW?!

Oh and I so need to make shirts like those, how stinking cute?!

I have been lurking on your PTR for a while now. But had to post when I saw your running goals debate.

For me, I need a race to keep me training. It is much easier for me to get those runs in when I know I will soon have to toe the line. Typically, half training programs have you max out at 10 miles so if you have already done a 10 miler, you are ready! Just because that 10 miler was hard doesn't mean you won't have a great race. Race day is a totally different thing, the crowds, the support of fellow runners, its unreal!! I say go for it with the only goal to be to finish and have a great time. When I finished my first half I had tears in my eyes, the sense of accomplishment is unreal!! What race is it BTW?!

Oh and I so need to make shirts like those, how stinking cute?!

Thanks for joining in loritemp and for your advice & encouragement!! What I've been doing is having a race in mind that I want to do (like months in advance) but I always seem to wait until like 2 weeks before until I register! :laughing: I don't know why I wait...it's so stupid! So in my mind I'm training with a very specific goal in mind, even though I haven't registered for it. When I finally do register I'm excited for it - but it's like I need to be sure I can do it before I register for it. I did the same thing with the 10K - wasn't until after I could do 6 miles that I finally went and registered (like 2 weeks before the event).

You are right though - race day is a totally different experience. I've only run the 2 races - a 5K (that went great) and a 10K (that disasterous one). But I did notice myself running faster and pushing harder during those race events. I know the half would be a great experience and I have thought about how great it will feel to cross the finish line...I'm pretty sure I'll have tears in my eyes too! :goodvibes

The half I'm looking at is a local marathon/half/5K event - Fox Cities Marathon here in Wisconsin on September 19th. This year is the 20 year anniversary so they've been doing it a long time, I've heard it is a very well organized event. Several coworkers of mine are running it and keep asking me if I've registered yet! ;)

On that note, I did go do my run tonight and did the 11 miles!!! Yeah! It went really well - I finished in 2:00:24, so like 10:45 per mile which is about where I've been on my longer runs. I ran for 2 hours straight!! :eek: I drank lots of water all afternoon, used my new shoes, tried out some fueling products, and carried my water bottle with me. All in all it was a really good run and I feel MUCH better this week than I did after that 10 miler last week. Like MUCH better. Tonights great run has almost erased the memory of last weeks bad one! Woo Hoo! :woohoo:

Oh thanks for the compliments on the shirts - the DISigners on here do amazing work!

Congrats on such a successful run last night!!! I am a huge fan of the orange sport beans, helped me along many tough runs!

And I am just like you, despite what a training plan says (like only needing 10 miles to complete a HM) I mentally NEED to do the distance or longer to feel comfortable on race day. My running failures have usually been mental, not physical so I say whatever it takes to make you comfortable, do it!!! ;)

I have checked out the boards here with the Dis designs and home made clothes and usually get all wrapped up in the super cute girls things, which is no good to me since I have a boy and another boy on the way :rotfl: But now I will go back and look cause I can't pass up such cute boys things!!

Hey Karen,

Finally getting a chance to catch up.

23rd plans: what a nice relaxing day! I bet it will be nice to have. :thumbsup2

24th plans: I struggled with DHS too. Hardest park in my opinion to plan.

25th: plans: we are a big zoo family too. Plans look good--are you going to ride the train to the conservation station?

26th: again, another relaxing day!! With the heat, I think it is a great idea to have the down time to swim and relax.

27th: I agree about at least one of you going to get FPs for Soarin'. The rest of you could head towards TT as long as you were thinking of hitting Soarin' twice. Are you buying Epcot Passports? It is one of the things I am trying to decide.

28th: I love Epcot! :love: I am really looking forward to exploring--hopefully DD will be agreeable to it! :rolleyes1

29th: I would play it by ear. If you are happy and rested, than go for TSM! I would think the front desk would be able to keep you up-to-date on the TSMM opening.

Running goals: If you can handle 10 miles, I would say go for it. You can always run 10 miles several weeks, than 11 miles so on until you get to the 13 miles needed for the half. I have always wanted to run a half too and I am just now trying to get back into running. I hope to accomplish it someday, but not sure when yet. I am shooting for a 5k in October, but we'll see.

Happy Anniversary! I hope you had a wonderful evening with Dan. :)

The shirts you made are great!! They'll be a hit down in Disney.

I'm so glad the 11 mile run went well!! Sounds like you are hitting your stride again.

Congrats on such a successful run last night!!! I am a huge fan of the orange sport beans, helped me along many tough runs!

And I am just like you, despite what a training plan says (like only needing 10 miles to complete a HM) I mentally NEED to do the distance or longer to feel comfortable on race day. My running failures have usually been mental, not physical so I say whatever it takes to make you comfortable, do it!!! ;)

I have checked out the boards here with the Dis designs and home made clothes and usually get all wrapped up in the super cute girls things, which is no good to me since I have a boy and another boy on the way :rotfl: But now I will go back and look cause I can't pass up such cute boys things!!

Yup - love the Sports Beans! I had watermelon the other night, they were pretty decent - love how much energy they gave me though! :thumbsup2

I'm the same as you, need to know in my own head that I can complete the distance. I know I'll eventually sign up, I've worked this hard to get this far, but still have not registered for the half.

On my long run on Thursday I think I may have messed up my right knee. I tripped over an uneven piece of sidewalk, my left toe caught the lip and I fell forward. I didn't fall, my right leg caught me just in time but my right knee took a pretty good impact. It hurt when it happened and I remember thinking "I hope this doesn't screw up my knee too bad" and didn't think much of it until Saturday morning I got up and could hardly bend my knee!! Both knees were a little sore on Friday, which is pretty normal for me after the long run, but I knew right away on Sat. that something was not right - I did run on it that morning and it felt fine - didn't both me one bit while running on it, but afterwards was sore and much more sore all day Saturday. I can't lift my knee much, can't climb a stair, and I can't bend it back too far. I've been icing and took the day off from running today. I really hope this is not a major setback.

Hey Karen,

Finally getting a chance to catch up.

23rd plans: what a nice relaxing day! I bet it will be nice to have. :thumbsup2

24th plans: I struggled with DHS too. Hardest park in my opinion to plan.

25th: plans: we are a big zoo family too. Plans look good--are you going to ride the train to the conservation station?

26th: again, another relaxing day!! With the heat, I think it is a great idea to have the down time to swim and relax.

27th: I agree about at least one of you going to get FPs for Soarin'. The rest of you could head towards TT as long as you were thinking of hitting Soarin' twice. Are you buying Epcot Passports? It is one of the things I am trying to decide.

28th: I love Epcot! :love: I am really looking forward to exploring--hopefully DD will be agreeable to it! :rolleyes1

29th: I would play it by ear. If you are happy and rested, than go for TSM! I would think the front desk would be able to keep you up-to-date on the TSMM opening.

Running goals: If you can handle 10 miles, I would say go for it. You can always run 10 miles several weeks, than 11 miles so on until you get to the 13 miles needed for the half. I have always wanted to run a half too and I am just now trying to get back into running. I hope to accomplish it someday, but not sure when yet. I am shooting for a 5k in October, but we'll see.

Happy Anniversary! I hope you had a wonderful evening with Dan. :)

The shirts you made are great!! They'll be a hit down in Disney.

I'm so glad the 11 mile run went well!! Sounds like you are hitting your stride again.

Thanks Stephanie! I'm trying not to mess with my itininery AT ALL anymore - don't want to second guess myself and go make any last-minute changes! :laughing:

I do plan to do the Epcot passports - just buying the ones they sell there, never got around to making any. For AK - I do want to do the train to the conservation station, and may try to squeeze it in - it's not one of the top priority items but something I really would like to get to if we can. Just have to see how the day goes and what crowds and stuff are like. If we get through everything else we'll definitely do that.

Thanks for the encouragment on the half marathon. I think in my head I've made the decision to do it - now I just have to bite the bullet, so to speak, and register. After last weeks run I feel pretty confident that I can make it and finish. Since I hurt my knee last week I'm now kind of waiting to see how it feels running on it this week. If no problems then I'll FINALLY quit procratinating, worrying, and obsessing and registeral already!!! :rotfl:

:banana:11 DAYS!! :banana:

Gosh I can't believe we are getting this close! Last night I lay in bed thinking about packing and how to pack what, what to pack where, what to carry-on. Making mental lists about what I need to pick up from the store yet - need a few travel size items to bring with us. Then I had another dream that I was at WDW - but I was with my mom and sister!! Really wierd dream - we drove there and I was loaded down with my bag, camera and a million other things!

So this afternoon I'm making a run to pick up few last items and trying to figure out what we need to carry-on for bath supplies and what I need to get special 3oz or small bottles for. Dan needs contact solution so that is one I need to get got sure, he plans to carry that stuff on.

I am having a bit of a delima about what to do about sunscreen - we'll need it our first day after we get there and so need to carry it on. I have a travel size for regular sunscreen, but Mater is allergic to most sunscreens and the only kind he can use comes in a 4oz bottle at smallest! So, not sure if I can put some of his sunscreen into a smaller container or something. I'll look again today and see if I can find a smaller bottle of something he can use...he can only use zinc or titanium dioxide based sunscreens otherwise he breaks out in a horrible rash (from the avebenzone or oxybenzone). Oh so much to do and think about! I think I'm going to start packing stuff this week just to be sure I have everything! I can't wait to actually pack and be done! :)

I'm hoping someone can answer this quesiton for me - has to do with tips and mousekeeping.

I do plan to leave tip - but what I'm wondering is do I leave it each day or just one lump sum at the end? I've seen discussion about Mousekeeping Envelopes and got to thinking that if I just leave one big tip at the end that maybe the same person isn't cleaning the room each day? So would I leave it each day for that particular person? :confused3

Usually at a hotel I've always just left it at the end, but that was after a short stay, maybe 2-3 nights. We're staying 9 nights and just want to be sure I'm doing it "right!! :)

I hope you are able to find the sunscreen. :goodvibes Since we are driving this trip, I am in luck and don't have to find the smaller sizes. In May for the cruise, I will be packing for flying that go around.

I plan on leaving the Mousekeeping tips each night as the person doing the room could change each day. At least that is what I had read on another thread at one point.

WOW - I can't believe we're down to 10 days! I looked at doing the Online Check In today but think I'll wait just another couple of days - not that anything will change but I'll do it maybe on Friday - one week out.

My shopping trip yesterday was a misreable failure! Walmart didn't have hardly ANYTHING that I needed, I got a few things but guess I need to go to Target to get the travel sized items, I remember them having a large selection of that kind of stuff.

So tomorrow I will try again to get the last bunch of items I need! I have to run into town to go grocery shopping and will hit a few other stores while I'm out. I'm still desperately searching for sandals to wear with my dress to the wedding this weekend :sad2: I am so not a shoe person, I can never seem to find sandals/shoes that I like that are actually stylish - I'm just not into what is popular right now. But I have to find something...and fast!

Yesterday I did start packing some of the bath supplies and miscellaneous things, a few things for my carry-on. Tomorrow I am picking up 2 more suitcases from my sister, so then we'll have all of the suitcases here and ready to go! It is so hard to not start packing!!! I know it's too soon but I just want start!!! :)

Well I went ahead and did something I swore I wouldn't do - I changed the itininery!!! :rotfl: It's not a big change and I think a change for the better anyway!

I spent some time this morning looking at the Crowd Calendars and most of my days lined up with that they were predicting for the best park days (or not the park to avoid anyway)!! :thumbsup2 The only 2 that didn't were my AK and HS days, which I originally planned for AK first, then HS the next day, but switched around after hours came out. Touring Plans shows AK as the park to avoid on my AK day, but as the best park the day before, so I'm switching them back. AK on Tuesday (best park per TP) and HS Wednesday (which is also listed as best park for that day!)

So with that I had to rework my touring plan a little bit for AK, since we'll be losing that extra EMH morning hour. But I'm glad we're going on Tuesday instead because we'll be more rested from having the previous day as a rest day, and if crowds are lighter then it's worth it. For the new touring plan, I moved around some of the attractions and will try to get to the shows in a little different order. Here is my new AK touring plan:

Arrive and go to Africa - ride Safari, walk through Pagani.
Go to Asia - 10:30 flights of wonder and do Marahaja before or after show. Maybe grab a FP for EE?
Go to Discovery Island. Eat lunch, do the tree, Tough to be a Bug.
Head to Camp MM - 1:30 FOTLK
Then to Dinoland - FP rides, do the Boneyard. (Go and ride EE if we got the FP.)
3:45 Parade, back to Dinoland after and get dinner. Possibly late Nemo show (4:45) if we feel like it.

It doesn't look like we'll be able to do the train to Rafiki's this day, but we may come back on our off day and do that and spend another morning here. I'd like to be able to get it in, just don't know how long it will take to go there and go through everything?

So those are my changes for now, hopefully I'll keep my paws off of the plans now and leave them as is! Although I'll check the crowd calendar again next week and see if it's changed! Hopefully no more changes!

And ....today is a SINGLE DIGIT DANCE DAY!!! 9 DAYS!!!

party::dancer:party:

Hooray for single digits!!!!
I've done most of my last-minute shopping. I decided to throw caution to the wind and pack a lot of stuff in my check-in bags so I don't have heavy carry-ons....

Amanda

Yipee for the single digit dance!!:dance3:

Check with your airport, some have relaxed the rules on liquid sizes in carry ons. You may not have to worry about the sunscreen. (I am pretty sure you can check your local ariports webpage to find out).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter