2014 ABD Itineraries. We have a Release date!

A popular adventure fills up quickly and the price per person increases as well, sometimes in just a day! They came up with a DVC member perk wherein a member will get release date prices regardless when they book. I guess this came about because the ABD senior veep used to be one of the DVC execs. I guess unless you are a DVC member, your best bet would be to book on release day and commit within 14 days since the deposit is not refundable beyond that time. Hope that helped. :)

Thanks, helps a bunch. Now I know DW and I will have to make a decision fast the day the dates are released and get our spots reserved. At least now that we know when the dates will be announced we can plan ahead.

From the way the letter was worded, I thought it might mean they are adding a day in Salzburg onto the northern Italy trip.

Laurie

I got my box today! The new backpack is... interesting. We'll have to see how it works in practice before I make a judgement.

*trots off to read her "Adventure Handbook"* :beach:

Sayhello

I got my box today! The new backpack is... interesting. We'll have to see how it works in practice before I make a judgement.

*trots off to read her "Adventure Handbook"* :beach:

Sayhello

Yippee! We got our Insiders DVD today. ......"The hills are alive......" :-D

"SingingMom" ....Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

From the way the letter was worded, I thought it might mean they are adding a day in Salzburg onto the northern Italy trip.

Laurie
Hmmm... It really sounds to me like the "Sound of Music" clue is for a "completely new adventure". We shall see!

Of course, I'll be in Greece for the release date! I hope the WiFi is good at the first hotel!

(Although I would imagine Landon would be able to give me most of the scoop!)

Sayhello

Oh, good grief! I wait *SO LONG* to get my box, with my "Adventure Handbook". And what happens? I just spilled RED WINE on my Adventure Handbook!!!! :scared1: It's now drying sandwiched between several paper towels, with a weight on top of it. It looks like it only got the first couple of pages. I hope it's still legible! :sad2: I may have to call ABD tomorrow and see what the chance is of getting a replacement. Geez!

Sayhello

Oh, good grief! I wait *SO LONG* to get my box, with my "Adventure Handbook". And what happens? I just spilled RED WINE on my Adventure Handbook!!!! :scared1: It's now drying sandwiched between several paper towels, with a weight on top of it. It looks like it only got the first couple of pages. I hope it's still legible! :sad2: I may have to call ABD tomorrow and see what the chance is of getting a replacement. Geez!

Sayhello

They usually give you one on day 1, right?

Sayhello

Oops! When do you leave? I bet they send you another if you call.

Just watched our Sound of Music blu-ray and I can't think of a better way to advertise the new trip! We are set on Esprit de France for our next ABD but this new trip will make for a tough decision!

They usually give you one on day 1, right?
According to Bobo912, not any more. The ones in the box are spiral bound and meant for you to bring with you and be used during the trip. We'll see how long that lasts when people forget them, lose them, spill red wine on them before the trip even starts... :)

Are the backpacks better/ok? Can you PM me a pic of what came? Curiosity is in the house! Thanks!
I'll take some photos & post links here (so people can click or not click as they like.)

Oops! When do you leave? I bet they send you another if you call.

"SingingMom"
I leave in a week and a half. They are sending me another one, but she really didn't think it would arrive before I leave. We shall see! It's usable, but a bit flimsy now where the wine hit (besides being purple).

Sayhello

According to Bobo912, not any more. The ones in the box are spiral bound and meant for you to bring with you and be used during the trip. We'll see how long that lasts when people forget them, lose them, spill red wine on them before the trip even starts... :)

Sayhello

I forgot mine and one of the guides had an extra one. Or maybe he gave me his copy. We got the duffle bag, which is like the duffle bags from previous years except it has an orange trim. I would take a photo, but DS took it with him on a weekend school trip. These two cards were in one zipper compartment along with the two tip envelopes and that was all we received upon arrival.

Photos and some SPOILERY TALK ABOUT THE NEW BOX, BACKPACK and "Adventure Handbook". Don't read this post or click on the photo links if you don't want to know! :thumbsup2

OK, so here's some photos: The first one is of the box for this year (cute!)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v22/Hewene/ABD Greece/P1110042.jpg

This one is of the new format for what was the storybook, it's now called the "Adventure Handbook" (obviously taken before the wine incident!) :) :

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v22/Hewene/ABD Greece/P1110047.jpg

As Bobo912 reported, that's it. Nothing but the backpack and the Handbook.

The rest of the photos are of the new backpack. It's a lightish green rip-stop nylon backpack that folds up into itself. It shows up all folded with the ABD logo on the outside. (We'll see if I can figure out how to RE-fold it!).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v22/Hewene/ABD Greece/P1110043.jpg

Here you can see I'm starting to pull the guts of the backpack out through the zipper:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v22/Hewene/ABD Greece/P1110044.jpg

It's a long, duffel-type of backpack. No structure, the top closes with a drawstring, and the original "envelope" that the backpack was packed in becomes the cover over the opening, which fastens with a clip. It looks to be at least water resistant. There are two black pockets on the outside that could hold water bottles or things like that. The flap (made out of the original "envelope") can now act as a pocket, too. No pockets that I found on the inside.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v22/Hewene/ABD Greece/P1110051.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v22/Hewene/ABD Greece/P1110053.jpg

I can't tell yet how well it will work or how well it will last. I'll let y'all know when I get back from Greece! It certainly will be easier to pack and I hope easier to shlep around.

Sayhello

I forgot mine and one of the guides had an extra one. Or maybe he gave me his copy. We got the duffle bag, which is like the duffle bags from previous years except it has an orange trim. I would take a photo, but DS took it with him on a weekend school trip. These two cards were in one zipper compartment along with the two tip envelopes and that was all we received upon arrival.

Wellp, maybe I'll be able to get one from the Guides. We shall see. Fortunately, the wine didn't get on the luggage tags or the tip envelopes (the tip envelopes were included in a pocket of the Handbook).

What did you think of the backpack?

Sayhello

I like the new design for the handbook but that backpack is hideous, and I am being kind when I say that .

Wellp, maybe I'll be able to get one from the Guides. We shall see. Fortunately, the wine didn't get on the luggage tags or the tip envelopes (the tip envelopes were included in a pocket of the Handbook).

What did you think of the backpack?

Sayhello

I didn't get the backpack. Several people on our trip were carrying them. The color probably doesn't suit everybody, but I sort of liked it. I think I need something a little sturdier though. I noticed one of the guides was carrying a backpack from 2 years ago.

I didn't get the backpack. Several people on our trip were carrying them. The color probably doesn't suit everybody, but I sort of liked it. I think I need something a little sturdier though. I noticed one of the guides was carrying a backpack from 2 years ago.

We have three of the sturdy ones from last trip along with the duffle we receive the first day. I'm not looking at Tobi's photos so I can be surprised when we get ours for our Germany trip! Lol. I am looking forward to hear about the changes in Italy's itinerary. I want to go there next year! We are hooked!

Sayhello, the backpack does not look durable, what do you think? The ones they gave away last year were a little better than the previous years, but the best I think we're the ones given in 2007.

I love the new look of the handbook! I think they made it a bit similar to DCL's handbook. :)

Sayhello, the backpack does not look durable, what do you think? The ones they gave away last year were a little better than the previous years, but the best I think we're the ones given in 2007.

I love the new look of the handbook! I think they made it a bit similar to DCL's handbook. :)
It's so hard to tell with rip-stop nylon. Sometimes it can be extremely durable, it really depends on the quality of the material and the workmanship. I'm willing to give it a try. Honestly, my biggest beef is that it's going to be hard to keep it up on my shoulders (it's going to want to sag because of the lack of structure) and the lack of internal pockets or compartments.

My first ABD was in 2008, so I don't know what the 2007 backpacks were like. In 2008, they sent us these massive Messenger bags that were very heavy and totally impractical for traveling. I'm looking at my backpacks, and I can only find 2 of the 3 (Hmmm...) but the 2 I have are bright blue (I think that's from the Med add-on) and a dark green, and they are the exact same backpack. I think Knights & Lights' backpack was bright blue, also, but may have been a different style. Obviously, at this point, I don't remember which ones I liked better than which. :confused3 I don't think I even took the one for Alaska with me.

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter