2019 Dues

If you don't mind linking your DVC account to your bank account , you can setup monthly direct payments instead of paying the whole bill in January.

If you don't mind linking your DVC account to your bank account , you can setup monthly direct payments instead of paying the whole bill in January.
You cant pay dues with a disney gift card that way, though. Still a good way to spread it out so it isn't quite so painful in January!

You cant pay dues with a disney gift card that way, though. Still a good way to spread it out so it isn't quite so painful in January!

I think you can actually, I've read on Disboards but haven't done it yet, that if you pay your monthly bill early that you can use a gift card or credit card. I'll be trying this tip in January of 2019.

I set up all my account to be paid on the 15th of the month, that way I can pay them from the 1st to the 14th with alternated payments.

I think you can actually, I've read on Disboards but haven't done it yet, that if you pay your monthly bill early that you can use a gift card or credit card. I'll be trying this tip in January of 2019.

I set up all my account to be paid on the 15th of the month, that way I can pay them from the 1st to the 14th with alternated payments.
Ooohhhh, I am curious how this works. Just set it up with a credit card then right prior to the date each month, fill in a disney gift card? That would be a great thing!

Ooohhhh, I am curious how this works. Just set it up with a credit card then right prior to the date each month, fill in a disney gift card? That would be a great thing!

You can't setup the monthly payment with a credit card, it has to be a bank account, you just have to remember to pay the bill before it is automatically debited from your bank account with either a credit card or gift card.

I don't like linking my bank account to any other accounts, but I thought Disney would be much easier to deal with about an errant charge than say a gym membership.

Two Points
As the largest employer in Orlando, this is likely to force other employers to match this increase

Disney had over 20 Billion in revenue from its parks and resorts in 2018 (a 10% increase from last year)
The idea that a $15.00 minimum wage would not cost us anything is wrong.
Disney (like most other employers) is passing the costs onto its customers

Well, we just bought in on October 7th! Of this year! Paid our dues (I thought) upon signing the deed.......then I got a bill a couple days ago for an additional $128.33 We only bought in at 75 points to test the waters.......
I thought dues were paid weeks later so that is the $128 charge. Usually don't pay at closing.

I thought dues were paid weeks later so that is the $128 charge. Usually don't pay at closing.

Direct or resale? Direct is billed later, resale is due at closing if not already paid. A resale this time of year should have already been paid.

Direct or resale? Direct is billed later, resale is due at closing if not already paid. A resale this time of year should have already been paid.
Thanks for all this info! Upon our direct purchase we paid closing costs.....I was confusing that with dues! Doh! I will definitely sign up for the monthly checking acct withdrawl but will pay with disney gift cards.

I have a lot to learn about DVC!

Thanks for all this info! Upon our direct purchase we paid closing costs.....I was confusing that with dues! Doh! I will definitely sign up for the monthly checking acct withdrawl but will pay with disney gift cards.

I have a lot to learn about DVC!
I learn something new all of the time. Welcome Home!

So with the new increases in dues at a lot of resorts, is there any change to the most value or economical home resort list?

So with the new increases in dues at a lot of resorts, is there any change to the most value or economical home resort list?
I believe that SSR has lost its title as the best deal on the resale market. BLT is a much better buy due to its lower dues and longer contract length.

I believe that SSR has lost its title as the best deal on the resale market. BLT is a much better buy due to its lower dues and longer contract length.

I've been eyeing BLT resale contracts and it makes me feel better that if I do decide to add on, it will be at a "better buy" resort. I really enjoyed my stay there last time and the walk to/from MK can not be beat!

I think BLT has become a close challenger to SSR, mainly because of the parity in MFs, but SSR still has a significant savings upon purchase, a delta of >$30<$40 per point, Resale/New. As I'm contemplating adding on 250 points, that's an up front difference of $7,500 to $10,000. At my age, the slightly extended contract life is not a factor.
I think AKV can be cost-competitive if you are consistently able to acquire the Value Studios with your AKV points. Then you could reduce the number of points needed, to offset the higher MFs. The risk is, however, that I hear some folks have difficulty booking the AKV-Values, even at 11 Months!?:darth:

I think BLT has become a close challenger to SSR, mainly because of the parity in MFs, but SSR still has a significant savings upon purchase, a delta of >$30<$40 per point, Resale/New. As I'm contemplating adding on 250 points, that's an up front difference of $7,500 to $10,000. At my age, the slightly extended contract life is not a factor.
I think AKV can be cost-competitive if you are consistently able to acquire the Value Studios with your AKV points. Then you could reduce the number of points needed, to offset the higher MFs. The risk is, however, that I hear some folks have difficulty booking the AKV-Values, even at 11 Months!?:darth:

I own at AKV and have been able to book value rooms 3 times, but it does book up very quickly. I would never advise anyone to buy at a resort on a supposition that you will always be able to book a hard-to-get room category. (BLT has this advantage as well, since as an outsider it's pretty difficult to get a standard room, but you usually won't have a problem as an owner.

AKV value is often available on 1 beds at 7 months. Even just checking today for 7 months hence, there was 4 consequituve nights in 1 beds. This summer both weeks I looked I could have booked Value for each week at 7 months 1 bed. Studios of course a different story.

The thing to keep in mind is if you are going to stay at your home resort, the number of points needed per room night becomes dues per room night. I haven't done the math (being a BWV owner for years who stays at BWV and the math isn't important to me except as an exercise), but dues per room night is probably a better estimate - and BLT being more points per night, SSR may still have an edge. But your best bet is probably buying BLT, where the dues are spread over more points and are quite reasonable, and then using your points to stay at OKW or another low points per night room (but lets be honest, you aren't going to get BWV standard very often - plan SSR). If I were buying for best possible deal, that would be my plan.

I will say though, It's still worth it to own some DVC. Though we had plans to own enough to winter there in retirement (at least a good chunk of winter) and were working up to owning like 1500 points. We have 650. But now it makes more sense to just rent a seasonal condo when we winter there. Really, it always has made sense but the more dues increases the more paying a rent is the most economical choice (or even buying a condo). Now we just need enough points for a decent vacation or 2 a year. We have way more then we need. Also, 125 of our points are at HHI. I had 3 nights in a 1BR booked in May. Just the annual dues for the points used (98) would be $839 (or $280 per night). I can rent for less and be closer to (or on) the ocean. So, time to sell those. Just doesn't make sense. And for a while now you can book there CRO with discount (AP or DVC....not sure????) cheaper than what your annual dues are...at least sometimes during the year.

Your math makes no sense. If I stay at HHI (which we own also) in May, for 3 nights for a 2BR is 99 points. At $8.59/point dues-$850 for those 3 nights. Try to find a 2BR in May (as nice as HHI) for $283/night. You can stay at the Holiday Inn on the ocean there for that. But, that is not a 2BR villa. So, owning HHI would make sense in that respect. As for renting, yeah, IF you can rent for $17-18/point that would be $1683 for your 99 points. You could find many condos for that price at that time. But then, you have to pay dues.. Subtract $850 for paying dues, and renting out your 99 points. You make $833... But, you stay in an Ocean Front condo (think Marriott) and it is nice, but I don't know if it is worth selling it.. So, your "Nice" condo cost you $500/night. At $1500, you made $1683.. Subtract dues--$850..You are out $667......$1683-$1500=$183.. Minus dues $850= - $667.....
Just don't see the math....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter