2020 points charts...

Sure, no comfort animals, pool crashing, room stuffing, etc. And also no flexibility in points usage, banking, etc other than in a formal prescribed format like they do for Hurricanes. The problem now is that it's far too inconsistent. I'm not naive enough to think it'd be 100% effective but an effort would make a big difference though Disney is nothing if not inconsistent.

Not allowing members to bring people who are not guests on the reservation into member events (like early entry for the MNSSHP). Also, the DIS shouldn't allow itself to be used that way.

Getting serious about not allowing smoking in the rooms.

That's not very "memberly".

LOL
au contraire
I think it is very "memberly" The exact definition of being a member - one that paid $$$$$$$$$$$$ to join and continues to pay $$$$$$$$$ in dues vs. someone that PMs someone to let them sneak under the rope. Membership is open to one and all.

Not allowing members to bring people who are not guests on the reservation into member events (like early entry for the MNSSHP). Also, the DIS shouldn't allow itself to be used that way.

Getting serious about not allowing smoking in the rooms.
I actually think they've been better the past few years in some areas including smoking, but there is certainly room for improvement. The crazy thing is that if they're fair and consistent, satisfaction will almost certainly go up in the long run.

so at BLT our 2019 trip that is a LV studio will cost us 19 more points for exactly the same dates in 2020.

2019 - 226 points, 2020 - 245 points.

and we get nothing more for the privilege of paying more.

Not impressed.

Back in the '90's when we first looked into the DVC I remember being put off by the sales pushing us towards 2Br. They kept giving us 2Br examples because we where a family of 5 with male and female children. Frankly, we couldn't afford the buy in for that amount of points and there was no offer to lower the points. When I asked about purchasing the minimum I was discouraged - which they were right because we didn't purchase. I wonder if this point re-allocation is a return to their original sales model.

Back in the '90's when we first looked into the DVC I remember being put off by the sales pushing us towards 2Br. They kept giving us 2Br examples because we where a family of 5 with male and female children. Frankly, we couldn't afford the buy in for that amount of points and there was no offer to lower the points. When I asked about purchasing the minimum I was discouraged - which they were right because we didn't purchase. I wonder if this point re-allocation is a return to their original sales model.
IIRC the minimum buy in was 230, then 210, then 190, then 150. They were right to direct you to the 2 BR since five 3 and over shouldn't be allowed for OKW or BWV given the true occupancy of those resorts.

If it is they’d better lower their price per point because the majority still can’t purchase 5-7 nights in a 2 or 3 bed retail. We couldn’t, so we bought resale. With the new chart we’ll get 2 six night vacations in a 2bd for our 470 points.

IIRC the minimum buy in was 230, then 210, then 190, then 150. They were right to direct you to the 2 BR since five 3 and over shouldn't be allowed for OKW or BWV given the true occupancy of those resorts.
The framing of this idea originally wasn't just to push people into two bedrooms. It was broken down, at the time, that 230 points will buy you 1 week in a 2BR, but it could also buy you three weeks in studio (during low season), or four days in a GV (at high season). The point being that the new reallocation doesn't really honor the original intent, as even back in 1991, their was enough of a spread that if one chose to, they could stay much longer in a studio.

What's happening today doesn't push people to 2BR, it simply shortens their stay and increases their cost of ownership with no benefit. If Disney has consistently enforced a minimum buy in of X number of points to achieve the 2BR model of what a vacation is supposed to be, that would be one thing. Instead, as you pointed out, their number crunchers realized they could move more points to more people by selling smaller contracts; too many people like bakerworld walking out the door because 230 points is too much.

Their model switched to selling as many small contracts as possible, be it against a Bungalow or a Cabin. In conjunction with increasing the capacity for studios to 5 people, this was a shrewd money move that worked well for them, with little consideration to the challenges owners would face buying in with the intentions of staying only in small studios. The studio issue is one of DVD's own making.

If the intent of DVCMC is now to "direct you to the 2BR" despite DVD selling a different product (the idea of being able to stay in the studios regularly on your small contract at CCV), then shame on Disney.

That's like Mickey waving at you gleefully with his right hand, reaching into your pocket with his other hand, and all the while smiling at you with his big fat plastic face.

When were the charts last adjusted? This is the first I am aware of it and we've owned since 03. Since we don't take the same trip every year or even every other year, I haven't knowingly been affected by it.

The point charts were adjusted for 2019 for both AKL and Vero Beach....(across both seasons AND room categories) so the 2020 change is not setting a precedent and any lawsuits that were going to happen would have happened long before they changed the 2020 charts.

The framing of this idea originally wasn't just to push people into two bedrooms. It was broken down, at the time, that 230 points will buy you 1 week in a 2BR, but it could also buy you three weeks in studio (during low season), or four days in a GV (at high season). The point being that the new reallocation doesn't really honor the original intent, as even back in 1991, their was enough of a spread that if one chose to, they could stay much longer in a studio.

What's happening today doesn't push people to 2BR, it simply shortens their stay and increases their cost of ownership with no benefit. If Disney has consistently enforced a minimum buy in of X number of points to achieve the 2BR model of what a vacation is supposed to be, that would be one thing. Instead, as you pointed out, their number crunchers realized they could move more points to more people by selling smaller contracts; too many people like bakerworld walking out the door because 230 points is too much.

Their model switched to selling as many small contracts as possible, be it against a Bungalow or a Cabin. This was a shrewd money move that worked well for them, with little consideration to the challenges owners would face buying in with the intentions of staying only in small studios.

If the intent of DVCMC is now to "direct you to the 2BR" despite DVD selling a different product (the idea of being able to stay in the studios regularly on your small contract at CCV), then shame on Disney.

That's like Mickey waving at you gleefully with his right hand, reaching into your pocket with his other hand, and all the while smiling at you with his big fat plastic face.
I take it differently. The reasons for the minimums was simply to sell the most points to the most people as possible, simply profit. There was not a week that was exactly 230 points then but there were options that were 229 points. OKW had no dedicated smaller units and the 5 in a 1 BR wasn't technically allowed. I do remember when the OKW studio increased from 69 to 80 for adventure. Those discussions make these reallocations threads look tame. You had snowbirds who'd bought to use for a month or more at a pop and they'd just lost 1/2 week yearly. That would have been back on the Prodigy Boards before AG invented the internet. Sales tactics are what they are and are often not based on the true flavor of the information. For example, a couple of the points systems that have EOY points as well as Every Year points use the tactic that you should buy EY if you have EOY and should buy EOY if you have EY. And they manage to present it in a way that quite a few will bite. Personally I separate out the system and the sales process almost completely, they way I often put it is you have to be able to hold your nose related to sales to participate in a timeshare and what includes Disney though less than most. As long as sales isn't actually inaccurate, it's probably fair game. Their job is to sell, plain and simple and the minimums were simply a reflection of trying to sell the most points to the most people for the least cost. Basically they'll take the information they know about you and about sales and the system in general and manipulate you. The good ones are some of the best in the world at reading people and using that info against you. They put the con in the phrase "con artist", even at Disney. The difference between Disney and SOME other timeshare sales people is that are are generally above board and technically accurate, that's not necessarily true with SOME of the other companies. But even then we've seen many reports of sales staff that crossed over the line becoming inappropriate, it just happens less with Disney than SOME other companies. But Disney is not the only company I could say that about, there are other good companies where sales are usually very appropriate.

I'm not sure I agree that it won't push people to 2 BR, I actually think it will for a subset of people and I suspect that, and having less lockoff's reserved independently, is the goal here. The group that will likely go up to the 2 BR are likely to be those that should have at least considered it anyway like 5 or 6 people in a 1 BR or even 4 so now less or no LR sleeping. If so there could be other changes that are core like enforcement of the POS directed occupancy limits of either 5 or 6, maybe they'll start counting an infant as part of the occupancy. If there is a component to control dues by having less check ins, we could also see a minimum LOS instituted up to 5 days but even then they could break it down for weekends and week days. I'll have to think more about whether they could make a full week cheaper in some way than reserving individually. I do agree it won't push everyone to a 2 BR but it really doesn't have to cause a big change, even a 5% change is a lot in this arena. Remember that every 2 BR reserved that might have been separated before cuts out 2 other smaller unit reservations.

The point charts were adjusted for 2019 for both AKL and Vero Beach....(across both seasons AND room categories) so the 2020 change is not setting a precedent and any lawsuits that were going to happen would have happened long before they changed the 2020 charts.
I just noticed the VB point chart changes for 2019. I never noticed a discussion here last year about them.

I take it differently. The reasons for the minimums was simply to sell the most points to the most people as possible, simply profit. There was not a week that was exactly 230 points then but there were options that were 229 points. OKW had no dedicated smaller units and the 5 in a 1 BR wasn't technically allowed. I do remember when the OKW studio increased from 69 to 80 for adventure. Those discussions make these reallocations threads look tame. You had snowbirds who'd bought to use for a month or more at a pop and they'd just lost 1/2 week yearly. That would have been back on the Prodigy Boards before AG invented the internet. Sales tactics are what they are and are often not based on the true flavor of the information. For example, a couple of the points systems that have EOY points as well as Every Year points use the tactic that you should buy EY if you have EOY and should buy EOY if you have EY. And they manage to present it in a way that quite a few will bite. Personally I separate out the system and the sales process almost completely, they way I often put it is you have to be able to hold your nose related to sales to participate in a timeshare and what includes Disney though less than most. As long as sales isn't actually inaccurate, it's probably fair game. Their job is to sell, plain and simple and the minimums were simply a reflection of trying to sell the most points to the most people for the least cost. Basically they'll take the information they know about you and about sales and the system in general and manipulate you. The good ones are some of the best in the world at reading people and using that info against you. They put the con in the phrase "con artist", even at Disney. The difference between Disney and SOME other timeshare sales people is that are are generally above board and technically accurate, that's not necessarily true with SOME of the other companies. But even then we've seen many reports of sales staff that crossed over the line becoming inappropriate, it just happens less with Disney than SOME other companies. But Disney is not the only company I could say that about, there are other good companies where sales are usually very appropriate.

I'm not sure I agree that it won't push people to 2 BR, I actually think it will for a subset of people and I suspect that, and having less lockoff's reserved independently, is the goal here. The group that will likely go up to the 2 BR are likely to be those that should have at least considered it anyway like 5 or 6 people in a 1 BR or even 4 so now less or no LR sleeping. If so there could be other changes that are core like enforcement of the POS directed occupancy limits of either 5 or 6, maybe they'll start counting an infant as part of the occupancy. If there is a component to control dues by having less check ins, we could also see a minimum LOS instituted up to 5 days but even then they could break it down for weekends and week days. I'll have to think more about whether they could make a full week cheaper in some way than reserving individually. I do agree it won't push everyone to a 2 BR but it really doesn't have to cause a big change, even a 5% change is a lot in this arena. Remember that every 2 BR reserved that might have been separated before cuts out 2 other smaller unit reservations.
AG = Al Gore?

I don’t know if I’d agree about the honesty & accuracy of the DVC salespeople. On another board a member had attended 2 appt with guides recently (1 for him/herself, 1 for family) and both times the AKV value chart was pulled out as an example of what you could reserve. Gone are the guides of yesteryear.

AG = Al Gore?

I don’t know if I’d agree about the honesty & accuracy of the DVC salespeople. On another board a member had attended 2 appt with guides recently (1 for him/herself, 1 for family) and both times the AKV value chart was pulled out as an example of what you could reserve. Gone are the guides of yesteryear.
AG yes. I suspect we'd disagree on the honesty issue. Taking the available information about the system, resort, you, travel habits and the like and using it to convince you to buy is appropriate even if it's not realistic or guaranteed. Heck they could even pull out the 2019 charts and use it knowing the 2020 charts were different and I'm not sure that'd be inappropriate. If they told you it could never change or similar, then that would be inaccurate. Whether it was dishonest would depend on whether they knew it was inaccurate or not. They might even give an answer that was technically accurate but led you to believe something different and legally that'd be OK. For example they might say something like the total points for the year couldn't change and leave it at that. That might lead you to believe something that wasn't completely true but their statements were accurate. Even if they knew it wasn't right for you and was contrary to what you told them your goals were, it still wouldn't be dishonest unless they made truly inaccurate statements. While I do feel there has been a shift over the years in terms of integrity of the DVC sales staff, I don't think they were ever as "good" as some thought or as bad as some think now. It is and always has been, "buyer beware" and it should be.

AG yes. I suspect we'd disagree on the honesty issue. Taking the available information about the system, resort, you, travel habits and the like and using it to convince you to buy is appropriate even if it's not realistic or guaranteed. Heck they could even pull out the 2019 charts and use it knowing the 2020 charts were different and I'm not sure that'd be inappropriate. If they told you it could never change or similar, then that would be inaccurate. Whether it was dishonest would depend on whether they knew it was inaccurate or not. They might even give an answer that was technically accurate but led you to believe something different and legally that'd be OK. For example they might say something like the total points for the year couldn't change and leave it at that. That might lead you to believe something that wasn't completely true but their statements were accurate. Even if they knew it wasn't right for you and was contrary to what you told them your goals were, it still wouldn't be dishonest unless they made truly inaccurate statements. While I do feel there has been a shift over the years in terms of integrity of the DVC sales staff, I don't think they were ever as "good" as some thought or as bad as some think now. It is and always has been, "buyer beware" and it should be.
If just examing the legality of it, then yes. As long as they are willing to associate their brand with that type of manipulation...

DVC & Disney as a whole relies heavily on their brand reputation. As you said, other timeshares are superior in many aspects, but are not associated with the Disney brand.

They’re trading on that very heavily recently. We’ll see how far they can stretch that goodwill/loyalty I guess. No one cares until it impacts them personally, and by then it’s too late.

If just examing the legality of it, then yes. As long as they are willing to associate their brand with that type of manipulation...

DVC & Disney as a whole relies heavily on their brand reputation. As you said, other timeshares are superior in many aspects, but are not associated with the Disney brand.

They’re trading on that very heavily recently. We’ll see how far they can stretch that goodwill/loyalty I guess. No one cares until it impacts them personally, and by then it’s too late.
That really is the only standard from a legal and technical standpoint. I do agree that a big picture approach is best long term but I tend to disagree with the masses here on what that long picture standard is. I don't agree that they've routinely deviated from that and even the system changes in approach are small but I do feel we've seen a mild erosion over the years. Regardless, even if they are trying to put themselves in your shoes, they really can't. It's no different than when we here give people information/advice about buying, home resort, number of points and the like. We could never know all of the intricacies that one needs to make a true and complete decision. OTOH and IMO, Disney has left TONS of sales on the table where they could have a much higher standard AND more sales. For example, they don't actively mine those who stay on cash or exchanges and they don't actively explore adding on for existing members with a few exceptions of course. I recall a story from many hears ago about a couple that toured and were never asked to buy. They actually wanted to but since the salesperson never asked or suggested they buy, they assumed they didn't qualify for some reason. In the sales world, that's just wrong. And I feel a certain amount of pressure to buy on a sales tour is not only appropriate but should be routine. The reality is that more sales helps the membership in a number of ways.

. The reality is that more sales helps the membership in a number of ways.
Not with the number of small contracts they are/were selling. The smaller contracts lead to more costs just due to room turnover & cleaning.

Perhaps you’re correct in that they are pushing us towards 2bds and as another poster indicated, returning to the larger contract sales model.

Again I think they are overestimating their clientele’s ability to pay for larger contracts. MANY members have financed (through Disney no less), if the FB group posts are any indication. Recession hits, contracts need to be dumped & all our contracts are devalued.

Not with the number of small contracts they are/were selling. The smaller contracts lead to more costs just due to room turnover & cleaning.

Perhaps you’re correct in that they are pushing us towards 2bds and as another poster indicated, returning to the larger contract sales model.

Again I think they are overestimating their clientele’s ability to pay for larger contracts. MANY members have financed (through Disney no less), if the FB group posts are any indication. Recession hits, contracts need to be dumped & all our contracts are devalued.
Going forward they'll likely sell more points per contract with this change for new members. And they might sell add ons as well but I sincerely doubt that was the goal, small potatoes in their world. And those with only smaller contracts trying to make do might sell if DVC no longer works for them, that's OK too from a system standpoint. The buyer might be adding on or DVD might take it ROFR. Having less small contracts is good from a management cost standpoint but the only difference it really makes at this point is in terms of higher fees for smaller contracts compared to less total contracts but larger ones. They were likely already competing for smaller units so I don't see any system disadvantages here and maybe some advantages since they'll take less units since the points won't got as far for studio & 1BR.

They did do us a favor because it would've been a stretch for us to afford even what I thought I could afford back then. Instead we waited and bought when we could enjoy our purchase.

They did do us a favor because it would've been a stretch for us to afford even what I thought I could afford back then. Instead we waited and bought when we could enjoy our purchase.
Same for the 2010 limitation on using points for cash options, it better defined the issue and protected people from themselves.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter