2020 points charts...

Going forward they'll likely sell more points per contract with this change for new members.

My wild guess is that this is the ultimate goal. DVC has done pretty well in recent years, the only KPI trending downward is the average contract size. Someone's end of year bonus will depend on reversing this trend.

My wild guess is that this is the ultimate goal. DVC has done pretty well in recent years, the only KPI trending downward is the average contract size. Someone's end of year bonus will depend on reversing this trend.
Personally I'm doubtful as I don't see them that manipulative but it is possible that's part of it. To me it's the intent that matters, not the end effect in matters such as this.

so at BLT our 2019 trip that is a LV studio will cost us 19 more points for exactly the same dates in 2020.

2019 - 226 points, 2020 - 245 points.

and we get nothing more for the privilege of paying more.

Not impressed.

Disney has a problem with studio overcrowding. They are trying to address it. So now, if you want studios, it is going to cost you more. Either buy more points or stay less days. This will allow other members an opportunity to share some reservations. I used to buy gas at .99 a gallon now we pay $3.25+ I cant tell the gas station that I want the old price back. It is what it is.

Disney has a problem with studio overcrowding. They are trying to address it. So now, if you want studios, it is going to cost you more. Either buy more points or stay less days. This will allow other members an opportunity to share some reservations. I used to buy gas at .99 a gallon now we pay $3.25+ I cant tell the gas station that I want the old price back. It is what it is.

Really that's not an applicable analogy.

And - this isn't likely to change a thing about studio availability. People have their points and need to use them or lose them. By increasing the studio and 1BR points it just means that those who bought small contracts will definitely have to reserve them.

I agree Disney has some leeway to make sure that DVC Members book all the resorts. However the main purpose your gas is more expensive (inflation, etc.) is the exact reason why you buy timeshares. You give the upfront cost to hedge against increasing costs. Therefore your analogy is very different.

I agree Disney has some leeway to make sure that DVC Members book all the resorts. However the main purpose your gas is more expensive (inflation, etc.) is the exact reason why you buy timeshares. You give the upfront cost to hedge against increasing costs. Therefore your analogy is very different.

So true, that is exactly why we bought 9 years ago. The steep rise in points for nothing extra is just another factor that is making a lot of owners, myself included, start to think renting the points out is better than us getting less use out of them.

This will ultimately pump more renters into the already crowded booking windows..trust me I would rather rent my BLT points to someone at 11 months, get my $$$$$ and that still doesn't free up the studios for the owners. People will still grab the BLT studios before the 7 month window opens for other resort owners, so how does that free up inventory for other owners?

Its just made it an easier decision for us not to go back to Disney as often.

And the third option is rent out my points to someone over xmas / thanksgiving/ holiday season at mega $$$$ , book them in to a BLT studio 11 months out, I get my money and availability continues to remain non-existent for non BLT owners at 7 months.

Maybe build more studios....just sayin.

I bought my points to enjoy Disney. DH agrees. We never asked for ability to put 5 in a studio, but we were on a DCL cruise just as the GFV we about to go on sale and the huge excitement generated in the room when they announced they listened to MEMBERS and the studio was for five adults! Well, what it has for us is a very nice bathroom set up, so we were happy too!

We would pay 3.9% more points for what we have booked in 2019 so far. We are retired and go often, considering we live in NJ.

I hope DVC, unlike Mary Poppins, does give the Disers who are asking about total points per resorts in this reallocation some explanation.

And the third option is rent out my points to someone over xmas / thanksgiving/ holiday season at mega $$$$ , book them in to a BLT studio 11 months out, I get my money and availability continues to remain non-existent for non BLT owners at 7 months.

Maybe build more studios....just sayin.
That assumes studios are inherently more popular, they aren't, they're only in demand because of the price being lower. That has changed some and thus demand will adjust. I have no problem with you renting, even the higher demand on speculation, but I know some do though your post has more a a vindictive tone than that of planning. If you were hurting anyone doing this it'd only be other members, not DVC itself.

That assumes studios are inherently more popular, they aren't, they're only in demand because of the price being lower. That has changed some and thus demand will adjust. I have no problem with you renting, even the higher demand on speculation, but I know some do though your post has more a a vindictive tone than that of planning. If you were hurting anyone doing this it'd only be other members, not DVC itself.

We only play the hand we are given, and if renting is the best for us, then so be it. Disney knows that the renters market is gaining in popularity and has only encouraged it. So I don't see how you can say we are vindictive when all we are doing is making a better financial decision for our selves. As they say, every man for themselves.

We only play the hand we are given, and if renting is the best for us, then so be it. Disney knows that the renters market is gaining in popularity and has only encouraged it. So I don't see how you can say we are vindictive when all we are doing is making a better financial decision for our selves. As they say, every man for themselves.
As do we all. And the next hand will be different as in the next reallocation. If you've read my posts you'll know I have no problem with renting (feel it's contractually allowed) and I have no problem with speculative renting. I'd suggest that is not likely the best use of your points to return the most $$$ but that's another thread. But I read the tone of your post as you were making the statement out of vindictiveness (like you'd show them) rather than a simple adjustment to the new reality. If I misread that tone, I apologize.

As do we all. And the next hand will be different as in the next reallocation. If you've read my posts you'll know I have no problem with renting (feel it's contractually allowed) and I have no problem with speculative renting. I'd suggest that is not likely the best use of your points to return the most $$$ but that's another thread. But I read the tone of your post as you were making the statement out of vindictiveness (like you'd show them) rather than a simple adjustment to the new reality. If I misread that tone, I apologize.
Thanks for the good faith, I also wish things were fairer for all, but when you have to put $$$$/ breaking even before trying to be fair, its a reality a lot of us face.

We travel half way around the world to visit WDW (30+ hrs door to door depending on connections and layovers, yeah I know, its nuts), costing a $$$ bomb, the option of 1.buying more points, or 2.cutting the trip down in days isn't economically sound for us.

We bought the points in 2010 with the understanding that
1. they may rise a little bit over the years per night
2. that the points would cover a studio for 11-12 nights, value season, BLT, Lake view, justifying our $$$$$ outlay in international and domestic airfares.

For us to now turn our 14 day holiday (2 days travel each way) into a 11-12 day holiday (8-9 nights BLT not 10) is just not viable, especially when you consider $$ cost per day ( airfare + dvc dues + repayments + car hire + ap + food + extras / days) its a lot more $$$ per day for a 10-11 day trip than a 14 day trip.

The simple fact is, with the points skyrocketing in price, BTW we paid $105 per BLT point in 2010, for us to buy even 50 points (what are they now $170 usd ?) would be not even an option.

I hate adulting, reality sucks.

Thanks for the good faith, I also wish things were fairer for all, but when you have to put $$$$/ breaking even before trying to be fair, its a reality a lot of us face.

We travel half way around the world to visit WDW (30+ hrs door to door depending on connections and layovers, yeah I know, its nuts), costing a $$$ bomb, the option of 1.buying more points, or 2.cutting the trip down in days isn't economically sound for us.

2. that the points would cover a studio for 11-12 nights, value season, BLT, Lake view, justifying our $$$$$ outlay in international and domestic airfares.

For us to now turn our 14 day holiday (2 days travel each way) into a 11-12 day holiday (8-9 nights BLT not 10) is just not viable, especially when you consider $$ cost per day ( airfare + dvc dues + repayments + car hire + ap + food + extras / days) its a lot more $$$ per day for a 10-11 day trip than a 14 day trip.

The simple fact is, with the points skyrocketing in price, BTW we paid $105 per BLT point in 2010, for us to buy even 50 points (what are they now $170 usd ?) would be not even an option.

That's just it, it's not a question of fair or unfair. If you want to take your personal situation and judge his to be negative, that's reasonable. But if done within the rules, it's fair from an appropriateness and ethical standpoint. One option is to do other things every few years either at WDW on cash, a cheaper resort or something totally different. You'd only have to do so every 5-6 years or so if there are no other changes. Personally I suspect there will be other changes but I suspect it's more likely to see changes that won't affect your numbers (no guarantees though). Maybe it's reverting to weekends being higher than weekdays similar to before or some type of minimum LOS as 2 possibilities.

I'm sure you've considered this but assuming that your trip is annual you could borrow the points to keep your 14 day holiday and it should be close to 5 years before you'd hit the point you needed to take a break. At least a way to keep the trip the same without purchasing more points. Then in the 4-6 year range you'd take a different holiday. Or maybe find a cash room special either onsite or offsite. Depending on which value season even booking a lower point requirement room could possibly be an option to extend your point usage.

It's still a tough pill to swallow but just other options to consider vs reducing the annual trip length.

thanks for the replies.

We are now considering Aulani instead this year, closer to home (10 hr flight + cheaper air + less days needed to travel).

Maybe wdw is now a every 2nd/3rd year option rather than yearly.

At least now DH gets to check out the golf in Hawaii :) So this may have a silver lining after all .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter