Another high school shooting, this time in MD

Is your DD thinking about the UW-Madison? My DD is a freshman there. Next week will be very quiet since it's spring break. But yeah, traffic is going to be a bear Saturday morning. The march starts at the university and then goes down state street to the capitol. You can get around it if you go south around the capitol but if you take the usual route north of the capitol you'd get stuck for a while.

ETA: You would also be OK if you came down the Beltline to Park Street. The march starts at the far east side of the campus.
Our son took a job in Madison and moved there last August. This will be my first trip up to visit. He ended up with other plans this weekend and asked us to come next weekend instead. Maybe they're marching? ;) I keep telling him we're moving his sister up there to take his second bedroom and go to school, but so far he hasn't taken us up on it. I'm looking forward to coming up for a visit! But Saturday would have been our one day to get out and see the area. So glad about our schedule change now.

I can't find anything specific about what those who are marching are marching for. I'm dismissive of protests that do nothing more than trigger the sheeple.

One Google search and two clicks later and I found out exactly what their goals are. But if all you can do to counter their concerns is dismiss them as "sheeple," then that says much more about your side than their's.

I can't find anything specific about what those who are marching are marching for. I'm dismissive of protests that do nothing more than trigger the sheeple.
I'm attending the march. Does that make me a "triggered sheeple"? I just don't see why you have a need to insult the people who are marching. It's OK that you don't want to march but it's not OK to insult people who choose to march against gun violence with words like "trigger" and "sheeple". That's just not very nice.

I'm marching on Saturday. And, I'm not a sheeple. The vast majority of Americans want universal background checks (no exceptions), age limits on purchasing weapons (i.e., kids who can't buy booze because they lack the mental capacity to make proper decisions probably shouldn't be able to buy a gun), etc. These are not controversial views, except for a small minority of Americans. Yet, our politicians refuse to even take these bills up. Ever. One dog dies on a plane in an overhead bin, and BAM, legislation within 24 hours. But, kids dying in high school? Crickets. Well, a lot of us are tired of crickets. And, protesting can be powerful visual evidence that change is required. Don't march if you don't want to. But, denigrating those who do is pretty telling that you've got nothing but insults.

Our son took a job in Madison and moved there last August. This will be my first trip up to visit. He ended up with other plans this weekend and asked us to come next weekend instead. Maybe they're marching? ;) I keep telling him we're moving his sister up there to take his second bedroom and go to school, but so far he hasn't taken us up on it. I'm looking forward to coming up for a visit! But Saturday would have been our one day to get out and see the area. So glad about our schedule change now.
Madison is beautiful. It's just as well you're not here during a big march. It does mess things up while it's going on and then everyone sticks around and has lunch downtown or on State Street so finding a place to eat would be problematic too. Enjoy your visit!

ETA: Ask me anything you want. I've lived her for over 30 years :).

Madison is beautiful. It's just as well you're not here during a big march. It does mess things up while it's going on and then everyone sticks around and has lunch downtown or on State Street so finding a place to eat would be problematic too. Enjoy your visit!
Thanks! He really is loving the area. Since our visit will be so short, I'm glad we're visiting a week later when we can get around without as much hassle.

I honestly think that's a misconception of both sides. Most people supporting the march don't want to ban all guns, just as most gun owners don't support zero restrictions.

I don’t support it nor not support it honestly. I would have to read much more.

But I am not sure it is a misconception at all. I have had way too many conversations that begin with “we need to rid our country of guns” or “we should never mess with any part of the 2nd Amendment” to honestly believe it.

What I would like is an honest conversation on what banning any gun that is currently legal is going to do. And how it will make our kids in safe in school. And conversely why these guns are necessary and how getting rid of them will hurt anyone or step on their rights. I realize it’s not possible here but irl and it seems impossible.

I would support any march that was marching for any solution that will keep the children safe but it takes everyone being open to listening to both sides.

If you'd google, they are very clear what they are marching for.

As per March for Our Lives (happening this Saturday):

"We support the right of law-abiding Americans to keep and bear arms, as set forth in the United States Constitution.

But with that right comes responsibility.

We call on all the adults in Congress elected to represent us, to pass legislation that will protect and save children from gun violence.

Our elected officials MUST ACT by:

1. Passing a law to ban the sale of assault weapons like the ones used in Las Vegas, Orlando, Sutherland Springs, Aurora, Sandy Hook and, most recently, to kill 17 innocent people and injure more than a dozen others at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.

Of the 10 deadliest shootings over the last decade, seven involved the use of assault weapons.

No civilian should be able to access these weapons of war, which should be restricted for use by our military and law enforcement only. These guns have no other purpose than to fire as many bullets as possible and indiscriminately kill anything they are pointed at with terrifying speed.

2. Prohibiting the sale of high-capacity magazines such as the ones the shooter at our school—and so many other recent mass shootings used.

States that ban high-capacity magazines have half as many shootings involving three or more victims as states that allow them.

Limiting the number of bullets a gun can discharge at one time will at least force any shooter to stop and reload, giving children a chance to escape.

3. Closing the loophole in our background check law that allows dangerous people who shouldn’t be allowed to purchase firearms to slip through the cracks and buy guns online or at gun shows.

97 percent of Americans support closing the current loopholes in our background check system.

When Connecticut passed a law requiring background checks on all handgun sales, they saw a 40 percent reduction in gun homicides.

22 percent of gun sales in this country take place without a background check. That’s millions of guns that could be falling into dangerous hands.

A background check should be required on every gun sale, no exceptions.

The children of this country can no longer go to school in fear that each day could be their last."

We visited Wisconsin last spring and really enjoyed it! :goodvibes The funniest thing was being given several sticks of cheese at hotel check in, despite it being 2am! I said, "Cheese?", and the manager was like, "You're in Wisconsin! We're all about cheese!", or something to that effect! :lmao:

"We support the right of law-abiding Americans to keep and bear arms, as set forth in the United States Constitution.

We call on all the adults in Congress elected to represent us, to pass legislation that will protect and save children from gun violence.

1. Passing a law to ban the sale of assault weapons like the ones used in Las Vegas, Orlando, Sutherland Springs, Aurora, Sandy Hook and, most recently, to kill 17 innocent people and injure more than a dozen others at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.

Of the 10 deadliest shootings over the last decade, seven involved the use of assault weapons.

No civilian should be able to access these weapons of war, which should be restricted for use by our military and law enforcement only. These guns have no other purpose than to fire as many bullets as possible and indiscriminately kill anything they are pointed at with terrifying speed.

2. Prohibiting the sale of high-capacity magazines such as the ones the shooter at our school—and so many other recent mass shootings used.

States that ban high-capacity magazines have half as many shootings involving three or more victims as states that allow them.

Limiting the number of bullets a gun can discharge at one time will at least force any shooter to stop and reload, giving children a chance to escape.

3. Closing the loophole in our background check law that allows dangerous people who shouldn’t be allowed to purchase firearms to slip through the cracks and buy guns online or at gun shows.

97 percent of Americans support closing the current loopholes in our background check system.

When Connecticut passed a law requiring background checks on all handgun sales, they saw a 40 percent reduction in gun homicides.

22 percent of gun sales in this country take place without a background check. That’s millions of guns that could be falling into dangerous hands.

The children of this country can no longer go to school in fear that each day could be their last."

Ok, thanks for this list. I can get behind most of this

I am confused though. What weapon are they referring to?

Also, I think there is soooo much more that needs to be done besides just more restrictions on guns. Let me be clear- along with restrictions, not instead of.

I'm marching on Saturday. And, I'm not a sheeple. The vast majority of Americans want universal background checks (no exceptions), age limits on purchasing weapons (i.e., kids who can't buy booze because they lack the mental capacity to make proper decisions probably shouldn't be able to buy a gun), etc. These are not controversial views, except for a small minority of Americans. Yet, our politicians refuse to even take these bills up. Ever. One dog dies on a plane in an overhead bin, and BAM, legislation within 24 hours. But, kids dying in high school? Crickets. Well, a lot of us are tired of crickets. And, protesting can be powerful visual evidence that change is required. Don't march if you don't want to. But, denigrating those who do is pretty telling that you've got nothing but insults.

Exactly.

I know your just posting this from their website but I just disagree with it wholeheartedly. The Constitution or in fact the Bill of Rights doesn’t set forth anything, it actually limits the government from infringement on our rights.
Assault weapons are a non starter. Any weapon used in the act of assault is by definition therefore an assault weapon. Labeling as such is simply for effect.
Standard (High) capacity magazines can be vital if confronted by multiple home invaders. And yes it does happen.
Here’s a local incident of multiple intruders from just last year
http://www.fox10tv.com/story/357401...teran-talks-about-shooting-suspected-burglars
People prohibited cannot purchase firearms legally at gun shows or online, this is a lie that gets repeated.

Last edited:
Standard (High) capacity magazines can be vital if confronted by multiple home invaders. And yes it does happen.

1) If you have a weapon (especially one that uses high capacity magazines), it will be locked away in a safe (unless you don't care about your family). If there are multiple home invaders coming, what makes you think you'd even have time to react? You'd likely have a gun or a knife over your face before you could even blink.

2) Why is that I rarely hear, if ever, about home owners warding off invaders with high capacity weapons? This is more fantasy than reality.

I know your just posting this from their website but I just disagree with it wholeheartedly. The Constitution or in fact the Bill of Rights doesn’t set forth anything, it actually limits the government from infringement on our rights.
Assault weapons are a non starter. Any weapon used in the act of assault is by definition therefore an assault weapon. Labeling as such is simply for effect.
Here’s a local incident of multiple intruders from just last year
http://www.fox10tv.com/story/357401...teran-talks-about-shooting-suspected-burglars
People prohibited cannot purchase firearms legally at gun shows or online, this is a lie that gets repeated.
Not saying how they would rule or if it would change, but the courts have rulesd on interpretations of the 1st & 8th amendments among others. I say we pass legislation & let it be challenged in the courts by those who feel it’s unconstitutional & go from there.

1) If you have a weapon (especially one that uses high capacity magazines), it will be locked away in a safe (unless you don't care about your family). If there are multiple home invaders coming, what makes you think you'd even have time to react? You'd likely have a gun or a knife over your face before you could even blink.

2) Why is that I rarely hear, if ever, about home owners warding off invaders with high capacity weapons? This is more fantasy than reality.
I keep most of my weapons locked up, I do keep a high capacity Glock out.
Here’s a case of a homeowner using his AR 15 in self defense against multiple intruders
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nb...-ar-15-kill-three-teen-home-intruders-n739541

Not saying how they would rule or if it would change, but the courts have rulesd on interpretations of the 1st & 8th amendments among others. I say we pass legislation & let it be challenged in the courts by those who feel it’s unconstitutional & go from there.
Passing something and just hoping the courts will sort it out is a terrible way to make laws.

You do whatever you want when you hear the news, and others can do whatever they want. Why does someone have to make such a divisive comment like that?

Why do you have to make such a divisive statement?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter