Another high school shooting, this time in MD

Many believe it’s not unconstitutional & support these changes. So I’m saying it’ll be sorted out in the end.
I think those people are wrong, and a problem I see is that when you say
I say we pass legislation & let it be challenged in the courts by those who feel it’s unconstitutional & go from there.
It is quit expensive to challenge something all the way to the Supreme Court, plus during such time you’ve possibly ruined people’s lives that felt strongly that it was unconstitutional.
Passing a law to simply get something done with the hope the courts will sort it out isn’t an idea I can get behind.

It is quit expensive to challenge something all the way to the Supreme Court, plus during such time you’ve possibly ruined people’s lives that felt strongly that it was unconstitutional.
Passing a law with the hope the courts will sort it out isn’t an idea I can get behind.
Right. YOU (and of course some others) think the proposals are wrong, but, if that’s what the ppl want, oh well. But, if you’re right & what the ppl want ends up being unconstitutional, it will get sorted out in the end. In the meantime, those who want to see the legislation change, can advocate their to position to their elected officials.

Passing a law to simply get something done with the hope the courts will sort it out isn’t an idea I can get behind.

I'm confused, really I am. How can this possibly ruin one's life?

I'm confused, really I am. How can this possibly ruin one's life?
If something I already legally own is outlawed, am I not now a criminal for merely possessing it? If I choose to keep it because it’s an heirloom with the hopes the courts work it out, then what? I’m made into a criminal.

Right. YOU (and of course some others) think the proposals are wrong, but, if that’s what the ppl want, oh well. But, if you’re right & what the ppl want ends up being unconstitutional, it will get sorted out in the end. In the meantime, those who want to see the legislation change, can advocate their to position to their elected officials.

I think more people think like the pp than you realize. I am not sure this kind of legislation is what “the people” want.

Some of it yes but not all. Or maybe a variation of it.

I don’t understand the bit about assault weapons. No assault weapon was used. No military weapon was used. Labeling something by a name it is not sort of makes it hard to get the other side behind it KWIM?

If something I already legally own is outlawed, am I not now a criminal for merely possessing it? If I choose to keep it because it’s an heirloom with the hopes the courts work it out, then what? I’m made into a criminal.
You have an heirloom AR15?

You have an heirloom AR15?
A lot a firearms owners have guns that were passed down from generations. The vague descriptions for “Assault Weapon” can include many older firearms. The AK 47 was designed in 1947, and the AR15 in the late 50’s so it’s not a new rifle design. Why do you ask?

Gotcha. It would really depend on what laws were passed and if anything was grandfathered in.

When my step-dad passed away, he left about 100 guns in my mom's basement. SD was an anthropologist/archeologist and had collectables from the Civil War and later wars. He also had assault rifles, including two AK47s and an AR 15. My mom actually called the police department to ask what to do with the assault weapons. They came and got any weapons she didn't feel comfortable selling and helped her find reputable buyers for the collectables. A few of the officers are family friends so I'm sure that worked in my mom's favor of getting the assistance she needed.

I think more people think like the pp than you realize. I am not sure this kind of legislation is what “the people” want.

Some of it yes but not all. Or maybe a variation of it.

I don’t understand the bit about assault weapons. No assault weapon was used. No military weapon was used. Labeling something by a name it is not sort of makes it hard to get the other side behind it KWIM?
No I understand that. But, I am saying the argument that any or most proposed changes are unconstitutional is subjective. So let the legislative process take place & let the courts interpret if necessary.

A lot a firearms owners have guns that were passed down from generations. The vague descriptions for “Assault Weapon” can include many older firearms. The AK 47 was designed in 1947, and the AR15 in the late 50’s so it’s not a new rifle design. Why do you ask?
Just curious. I assume that if those rifles were made illegal through legislation that any final decision where you would have to give up your weapons wouldn't happen until the Supreme Court finally weighed in. An injunction would be in place until he very end. If you chose not to follow the law once everything is said and done then yes, you would be a criminal. In that case, it would be your choice to ruin your life instead of being a law abiding gun owner.

Just curious. I assume that if those rifles were made illegal through legislation that any final decision where you would have to give up your weapons wouldn't happen until the Supreme Court finally weighed in. An injunction would be in place until he very end. If you chose not to follow the law once everything is said and done then yes, you would be a criminal. In that case, it would be your choice to ruin your life instead of being a law abiding gun owner.
Problem is I don’t think I would even be allowed to keep my property while the courts sort through it. Most jurisdictions would start confiscation way ahead of any ruling, and what am I suppose to do when an officer shows up at my door stating that he’s hear to collect my “illegal property”
My point is to think through laws before making them into law, not after their already signed.

Problem is I don’t think I would even be allowed to keep my property while the courts sort through it. Most jurisdictions would start confiscation way ahead of any ruling, and what am I suppose to do when an officer shows up at my door stating that he’s hear to collect my “illegal property”
My point is to think through laws before making them into law, not after their already signed.
Did they send officers to doors to collect AR-15s the last time they were banned?

Did they send officers to doors to collect AR-15s the last time they were banned?
They were grandfathered in with a sunset clause on the bill. So it’d be a slightly different scenario than banning them completely like some are calling for.

I mean how do you propose to remove them from civilian hands? I’m fairly certain civil unrest will break out.

I don't believe for a second that the NRA lawyers would not have an injunction in place to protect you until it's clear that the law would be upheld.

Do you support a repeal of the Dickey Amendment?

They were grandfathered in with a sunset clause on the bill. So it’d be a slightly different scenario than banning them completely like some are calling for.

I mean how do you propose to remove them from civilian hands? I’m fairly certain civil unrest will break out.
I think they’d have to do the same grandfathering type thing if they were to ban anything. Anything else is just not practical.

This was an interesting article I saw this morning:

http://www.philly.com/philly/column...a-marjory-stoneman-gun-violence-20180313.html

Philly teens to Florida teens: Would you have stood in solidarity with us?

"It’s the attention the Florida students have gotten that felt unfamiliar and unjust when so little attention is paid to the gun violence that touches so many children in cities like Philadelphia.

But the unease with which these students spoke was also rooted in complicated and bottled-up emotions that pitted their desire to stand in solidarity against gun violence with the knowledge that the daily slaughter in their neighborhoods is seen as normal, acceptable. Expected.

Their anger and frustration were evident as they described how long they’ve gone without being heard and seen. “I want the same thing that those kids want,” said Jordyn Williams, 15. “I’m not saying that those kids’ lives didn’t matter. I’m saying they aren’t the ones being treated like nothing.”

Well bless your heart, that's so precious. Here I thought you were a lifetime member rather than being a short member.
Thoughts on your way.
I’ll take that as I’m sure you meant it (not the way it’s often used on here as an insult) because we both know personal attacks are a no no.
I’m not a life member, I’d rather renew each year therefore reminding them that I still support them.

I don't believe for a second that the NRA lawyers would not have an injunction in place to protect you until it's clear that the law would be upheld.

Do you support a repeal of the Dickey Amendment?
I would have look into it, I try not to make efforts to change laws without serious thought. It’s easy to see the possibility for any research to be politically or purposefully motivated which is if I’m remembering correctly is why then congressman Dickey proposed the bill.

I graduated from Great Mills High School and so did my children. It's located about three miles from my job. I feel extreme sadness for my whole community but extremely thankful more people were not hurt or killed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter