Another lovely day in Oklahoma. . .

Dgs 11 came in the door after school today and, his face changed quickly from a hugh smile to a look of sullen, concerned sadness. I asked him what's wrong honey and, he said 'Gram your pants they are all torn!'

I had to assure him that they are just old and, that I don't wear them very often that's all. :sunny:
IMG_00000480.jpg

Last edited:
So do I, and I paid good money for them. My daughter thinks I should have asked for a significant discount. She said she wants the entire jean when she buys a pair, but she's anti-trendy like that. Jane, tell your grandson your jeans are the "in" thing these days.
:rotfl2:Pretty much the last thing any teen wants to hear from his Grandma...

So do I, and I paid good money for them. My daughter thinks I should have asked for a significant discount. She said she wants the entire jean when she buys a pair, but she's anti-trendy like that. Jane, tell your grandson your jeans are the "in" thing these days.

Most of the kids here wear uniforms to school so it will be some time before they are common place here.

:rotfl2:Pretty much the last thing any teen wants to hear from his Grandma...

Exactly! If I'd had told him that he'd have been embarrassed and, I'd have had to be delusional as well as old. ;)

I must have been an odd teen:o, then, because I would have thought my grandmother (only spent much time with one) was adorably fun and hip had she embraced any trends. While she wasn't exactly hip (hard to find the latest fashions in rural OK back then), she was definitely adorably fun. :lovestruc

I remember when ripped jeans were the new thing when I was in high school. My friends and I made our own back then, ripping them and then washing them over and over until perfectly frayed. Funny how the look has made a comeback.

Last edited:

It's a foggy, warm Sunday morning here in Orono, Maine (just outside of Bangor, ME, which is about a 4 hour drive north of Boston, MA). I am knocking on wood as I say this, but I think we've made it through winter. We are still having a fair bit of rain, but the temps have been consistently above about 45F for the past 2 weeks. This week, it's supposed to get into the 70s for 2 days- crazy, right?- but I'll believe it when I see it. I have crocuses in bloom, although some have died out already, and 3 daffodils have opened their bright yellow flowers, so I'm going to remain optimistic about the weather! We've done our winter storm damage assessment and are waiting for the contractor's estimates before deciding whether to submit an insurance claim or just fix the damages ourselves. We lost the vinyl fence across the front of our property and some flashing from the edge of the roof, so we'll see. It's nice to get outside and do some raking, even though it's the worst thing in the world for my bad shoulder!

The local universities end soon... DH is full-time chemistry faculty at one, which graduates in less than a week, and is also an adjunct at the university where I work, and that graduation is in two weeks. It'll be nice to have him less stressed (WAY less stress, as his appointment as department chair ends at the end of May) and around the house more; the to-do list never gets shorter when you own a 120yr old house, LOL! I, unfortunately, have a year-round appointment so for the first time in 10 years, I WON"T have the summer off (I just left teaching in a public school system). Figures... DH finally has the summer off (no summer research, no chair appointment, etc) and I DON"T. OH well... the extra money from this new job (make more than 2X what I was earning in public ed) more than makes up for not having the summer off. I will have vacation time, though, and am busy planning that. DH is going to Germany for 2 weeks in June (week long conference in Dresden, with time in Berlin on either end) and although I can't go, I'm helping him plan where to stay when not at the conference. In July, he and I are meeting DD24 and her boyfriend in DC to see the Eagles/James Taylor and do some city touring. I'll come home after that (still gotta teach) but DD and DH will go to from DC Ohio to visit my MIL. We will have a blast in DC; two other couples are also going from here in Maine to the concert, so we have planned some fun stuff and an amazing dinner or two. One of the couples has a daughter in law school at GWU, so we'll use her apartment as a gathering spot (although we are all staying in different hotels/airbnbs). Also at the end of August, DD and I are going to Disney World! This started out as a "cheap" trip and I actually was able to get free dining for this (so Disney "cheap" was $2000 for 6 nights value hotel, 6 day park tickets, and the dining plan), but instead we have decided to stay 6 nights at Animal Kingdom Lodge. It was the same price for hotel and tickets as it was for free dining, but I have rewards points that'll pay for our food, so we are off to a Disney "deluxe" hotel. DH made the final decision for me, when he pointed out that DD will turn 25 within a month of the trip (and how did THAT happen???), so we could call this her birthday celebration! Don't ask me twice, don't twist my arm! DH and I stayed 2 nights at AKL last summer for my birthday and I LOVED it, so being able to take DD there for a "mommy-daughter" trip is the BEST!!

That's all I have from my end of the world. If anyone has suggestions of fun places for DH to stay in Berlin, let me know. He's doing 3 nights on his arrival in the Bergmannkiez area, which looks a little residential to me; I think he'd be happier in a location with more touristy things, cafes, bars, nightlife, etc., so if you have a suggestion, let me know. Hope everyone is happy and healthy (and I'm still waiting to see WillyJ again, even if it's just a nod to say he's doing fine...)

It's a foggy, warm Sunday morning here in Orono, Maine (just outside of Bangor, ME, which is about a 4 hour drive north of Boston, MA). I am knocking on wood as I say this, but I think we've made it through winter. We are still having a fair bit of rain, but the temps have been consistently above about 45F for the past 2 weeks. This week, it's supposed to get into the 70s for 2 days- crazy, right?- but I'll believe it when I see it. I have crocuses in bloom, although some have died out already, and 3 daffodils have opened their bright yellow flowers, so I'm going to remain optimistic about the weather!

I'm about 40 minutes the other way, and I think you are right! We went to a birthday party yesterday, and it was nice to be outside. I have two daffodils, but no tulips yet.

We've had decently warm days for the past week although flurries are in the forecast today. Spring (if indeed it has finally arrived) is NOT a pretty time of year in Calgary. :( It seems like a very poor reward for having endured such a long, miserable winter.

The snow has mostly melted but there are still huge ice-piles in many places along curbs and in parking lots. Everything is grubby and dirty with accumulated sand and gravel and road-salt residue, and a winter's worth of garbage that was previously buried under snow. Nothing, absolutely nothing is growing yet; tulips and such are still weeks away. The grass is brown and the trees are bare and our construction job-sites are mud up to your ankles. And don't get me started on the smell of dog poop now that 6 months worth of frozen mess has melted. :crazy2: Blessedly at least our neighbours cleaned their patio up yesterday so we'll be finally able to open the windows for some fresh air.
images

We've had decently warm days for the past week although flurries are in the forecast today. Spring (if indeed it has finally arrived) is NOT a pretty time of year in Calgary. :( It seems like a very poor reward for having endured such a long, miserable winter.

The snow has mostly melted but there are still huge ice-piles in many places along curbs and in parking lots. Everything is grubby and dirty with accumulated sand and gravel and road-salt residue, and a winter's worth of garbage that was previously buried under snow. Nothing, absolutely nothing is growing yet; tulips and such are still weeks away. The grass is brown and the trees are bare and our construction job-sites are mud up to your ankles. And don't get me started on the smell of dog poop now that 6 months worth of frozen mess has melted. :crazy2: Blessedly at least our neighbours cleaned their patio up yesterday so we'll be finally able to open the windows for some fresh air.
images

So sorry you are having to put up with the neighbours from hell! Glad at least you could enjoy some fresh spring air.

The snow has mostly melted but there are still huge ice-piles in many places along curbs and in parking lots. Everything is grubby and dirty with accumulated sand and gravel and road-salt residue, and a winter's worth of garbage that was previously buried under snow.

I'm saving this for the next snow when someone says "Oh, it's so pretty to see the snow cover everything."::yes::

I must have been an odd teen:o, then, because I would have thought my grandmother (only spent much time with one) was adorably fun and hip had she embraced any trends. While she wasn't exactly hip (hard to find the latest fashions in rural OK back then), she was definitely adorably fun. :lovestruc

Dgs has said on occasion that I'm a fun Gram but, it just doesn't extend to my wardrobe. :teleport:[/QUOTE]

I'm saving this for the next snow when someone says "Oh, it's so pretty to see the snow cover everything."::yes::
It's quite cringe-inducing actually. :o Many people comment on what a clean city Calgary is but at this time of year it's embarrassing to imagine the impression we must leave with visitors. We just spent a week in SoCal (the world without winter) and absolutely marveled at how beautiful everything was - green and blooming and alive. Even the 'hood looks nice when it's got flowering vines growing all over it, with the sun through the smog providing such interesting ambient light! :goodvibes

So sorry you are having to put up with the neighbours from hell! Glad at least you could enjoy some fresh spring air.
I actually feel pretty guilty for disliking them :sad1: - we don't generally dislike anybody. They're just "kids" and they probably wouldn't stand out most places but this condo complex is an extremely "set in our ways" kind of place full of grumpy old bats like myself.

It's a foggy, warm Sunday morning here in Orono, Maine (just outside of Bangor, ME, which is about a 4 hour drive north of Boston, MA). I am knocking on wood as I say this, but I think we've made it through winter. We are still having a fair bit of rain, but the temps have been consistently above about 45F for the past 2 weeks. This week, it's supposed to get into the 70s for 2 days- crazy, right?- but I'll believe it when I see it. I have crocuses in bloom, although some have died out already, and 3 daffodils have opened their bright yellow flowers, so I'm going to remain optimistic about the weather! We've done our winter storm damage assessment and are waiting for the contractor's estimates before deciding whether to submit an insurance claim or just fix the damages ourselves. We lost the vinyl fence across the front of our property and some flashing from the edge of the roof, so we'll see. It's nice to get outside and do some raking, even though it's the worst thing in the world for my bad shoulder!

The local universities end soon... DH is full-time chemistry faculty at one, which graduates in less than a week, and is also an adjunct at the university where I work, and that graduation is in two weeks. It'll be nice to have him less stressed (WAY less stress, as his appointment as department chair ends at the end of May) and around the house more; the to-do list never gets shorter when you own a 120yr old house, LOL! I, unfortunately, have a year-round appointment so for the first time in 10 years, I WON"T have the summer off (I just left teaching in a public school system). Figures... DH finally has the summer off (no summer research, no chair appointment, etc) and I DON"T. OH well... the extra money from this new job (make more than 2X what I was earning in public ed) more than makes up for not having the summer off. I will have vacation time, though, and am busy planning that. DH is going to Germany for 2 weeks in June (week long conference in Dresden, with time in Berlin on either end) and although I can't go, I'm helping him plan where to stay when not at the conference. In July, he and I are meeting DD24 and her boyfriend in DC to see the Eagles/James Taylor and do some city touring. I'll come home after that (still gotta teach) but DD and DH will go to from DC Ohio to visit my MIL. We will have a blast in DC; two other couples are also going from here in Maine to the concert, so we have planned some fun stuff and an amazing dinner or two. One of the couples has a daughter in law school at GWU, so we'll use her apartment as a gathering spot (although we are all staying in different hotels/airbnbs). Also at the end of August, DD and I are going to Disney World! This started out as a "cheap" trip and I actually was able to get free dining for this (so Disney "cheap" was $2000 for 6 nights value hotel, 6 day park tickets, and the dining plan), but instead we have decided to stay 6 nights at Animal Kingdom Lodge. It was the same price for hotel and tickets as it was for free dining, but I have rewards points that'll pay for our food, so we are off to a Disney "deluxe" hotel. DH made the final decision for me, when he pointed out that DD will turn 25 within a month of the trip (and how did THAT happen???), so we could call this her birthday celebration! Don't ask me twice, don't twist my arm! DH and I stayed 2 nights at AKL last summer for my birthday and I LOVED it, so being able to take DD there for a "mommy-daughter" trip is the BEST!!

That's all I have from my end of the world. If anyone has suggestions of fun places for DH to stay in Berlin, let me know. He's doing 3 nights on his arrival in the Bergmannkiez area, which looks a little residential to me; I think he'd be happier in a location with more touristy things, cafes, bars, nightlife, etc., so if you have a suggestion, let me know. Hope everyone is happy and healthy (and I'm still waiting to see WillyJ again, even if it's just a nod to say he's doing fine...)

I always love reading your updates, leebee. Sounds like you and your daughter will have a wonderful trip. My daughter and I are taking our first mother daughter trip to WDW this December. We love AKL, so a studio villa at AKL was my first choice, but there weren't any available. It worked out fine, though, because DD has had her eye on Saratoga Springs thanks to the horse theme, and they did have a studio available so that's where we'll be. Kind of excited about that now since we've never made time for Disney Springs in the past. I will still miss the animals, though, so tell them hello for me while you're sitting on your lovely balcony.

Your trip to DC sounds like it will be a lot of fun, too. Wish you could go to Germany with your DH, but how nice to have such a large increase in income thanks to your new job! Hope you're enjoying the new position. Wishing you guys success on the property repairs.

We're going into the 70's this week where we live. :yay: I shaved the 5 hairs I have on my legs yesterday and am hoping last summer's shorts still fit. So bring on the warm weather!!!! Finally, at least in these parts! :sunny:
:rotfl2:Slightly TMI Hon, but I’m wishing you good luck in the shorts department and that there are many long, sunny days to come!

@NFLDERS good luck to Shayne in the election! Marketing is a huge factor in elections, even if he doesn't win he's clever to have sussed that out! While my recollections of high school have faded I remember one candidate who ran on a platform of getting the school fountains to flow with beer. She won and later in life became a judge! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter